PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question- Internal Core Item Fit for BCM Gunfighter Short VFG

Jellybean
05-18-14, 13:36
Looking to potentially switch out my current vert grip for something smaller.
I like it, but the way the rifle hangs when slung, the length of a full grip can get annoying wacking you around the legs and elsewhere...:nono:

The catch is, I use my grip/stock cores for on-gun storage of stuff (my STR is full of CR123s).
I currently keep some allen wrenches in my VFG for all the stuff attached to my gun (including the rail itself), some zip ties, etc..
I do not want to give this storage space up, however I think the BCM G-VFG shorty internal core is going to be to short.

I'm using shorter allen wrenches, so the size is about 2.75"-3" L x .75"- 1" W.

If anyone has tried putting allen wrenches or similar stuff in their short BCM VFG grip core, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if these will fit.

BTL BRN
05-18-14, 17:29
Not sure of the exact length, but I couldn't fit the allen wrench that comes with the Leupold VX-R Patrol in the grip; essentially a standard size. I think the longest item that will fit is a AA battery, you should be able to use that as a guide.

Obscenejesster
05-18-14, 18:28
What about your pistol grip? They will probably fit in there.

Jellybean
05-18-14, 19:36
What about your pistol grip? They will probably fit in there.

They do indeed, and it's a thought I'm mulling over, but there are other things going in there- spare parts and such.
I suppose I could always switch some things around. Unfortunately if they become unsecured, they have a tendency to slide out the bottom of the grip, since the floorplate on the MOE grip does not seal all the way- not a big deal for a part like a cam pin or small oil bottle, but slim straight stuff like allen wrenches, and retaining pins....
Hmmm... maybe an excuse to switch to BCM grips as well? :laugh:

BTL- thanks for the info.

markm
05-18-14, 19:46
You're going to have to dremel off some of the long end. I've though about this too.

Iraqgunz
05-19-14, 02:13
What is the underlying real need to have various hex wrenches in the grip? Just curious because when I put stuff together I use Loctite and they generally stay in place. I'll assume that you aren't using a pistol grip like the Gunfighter which will allow this? I generally carry a small range bag and I have a Multitool with bits that I find more convenient.

markm
05-19-14, 08:08
For me... I'll need it when I'm not near my range box. Just murphy's law. I don't expect anything to come loose. But if I want to move something for whatever reason...

Iraqgunz
05-19-14, 14:30
Just a thought. The Combat Optic Tool made by Freddie Blish is a cool little item. It will fit inside a BCM Gunfighter pistol grip. It also has a hex cut out to use bits. One could conceivably put the 2-3 needed bits in a small ziploc with the tool and store it in the grip. You should be able to do whatever is necessary with those items.

Jellybean
05-19-14, 18:51
What is the underlying real need to have various hex wrenches in the grip? Just curious because when I put stuff together I use Loctite and they generally stay in place. I'll assume that you aren't using a pistol grip like the Gunfighter which will allow this? I generally carry a small range bag and I have a Multitool with bits that I find more convenient.

What MarkM said- anti-Murphy insurance. Pretty much everything attached to my rifle uses an allen wrench of some sort. I recently went over my rifle and made sure everything was loctited down, and while I have confidence it's not coming off, a little peace of mind goes a long way. I also lose things incessantly, so sticking this stuff in a bag guarantees either I will not have the bag when needed, or they'll get lost in it. Things like a Flathead screwdriver you can improvise from just about anything- allen wrenches, not so much. If I put it on the rifle, it's there and I never have to even think about it. Same for a few other parts.

Yes, I do have a grip with storage- MP MOE. As I mentioned previously, I'm not averse to simply changing things around. Just wanted an idea of what I'd be working with before dropping money on the BCM- the convenience of keeping things set up the same as they are now, and all....

Obscenejesster
05-19-14, 19:32
Hmmm... maybe an excuse to switch to BCM grips as well? :laugh:

BTL- thanks for the info.

Sounds like it. In my personal opinion, the BCM grips are of better quality over the Magpul grips. On my lowers at least, they seem to fit better leaving no gap between the grip and trigger guard along with having a better storage compartment.

RWH24
05-19-14, 22:58
I keep all the allen/torx wrenches sent with parts for my AR, in a utility pouch with a belt loop.

Very Flat...