PDA

View Full Version : Glock 41 Issue

Achilles11B
05-18-14, 16:17
I bought a Glock 41 back in March. It's accurate and comfortable to shoot. Sadly, it seems to have a FTF every 50 rounds or so. The round will chamber halfway, racking the slide again remedies it. I've put Winchester White Box, Federal, Remington and PMC ammo through it, roughly 400 rounds so far, all with the three factory mags, with and without a TLR-1. As I am far from being a pistol guru, any assistance on solving this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Trajan
05-18-14, 16:35
Check to see if your cartridge mouths are crimped all the way, or if they have a sharp feel to them. If the mouth isn't crimped all the way, it will hang up on the top of the chamber. It happens to me on occasion.

kevN
05-18-14, 17:50
I would suspect the recoil spring assembly, perhaps the slide is not cycling at the correct weight due to an over or underpowered spring? It's at least a cheap test to put a new RSA in it and see.

Does it happen immediately after the weapon is cleaned & lubricated, or does it take some carbon buildup before it starts happening?

Dos Cylindros
05-18-14, 18:27
If it is happening with all the brands of ammo you listed then it's probably not ammo induced. Perhaps it's the RSA, or perhaps it's a problem with the extractor. Are you getting a three point jam, with the nose of the round up in the chamber, the middle of the case on the feed ramp chamber shoulder and the rim of the case partially under the extractor? If so, your extractor may very well be the problem.

NWPilgrim
05-18-14, 22:35
Also, any chance your thumb is dragging along the slide as it retracts? Especially if you have large hands and hold high you cause enough drag to slow the slide very occasionally.

glocktogo
05-19-14, 11:00
I had a friend experience four of these in a match this weekend. He's a VERY experienced competition shooter who knows how to make guns work, so this issue may bear watching on the 41. :(

Achilles11B
05-19-14, 22:53
I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I suspect that, being a new model, there's still some bugs to be worked out. I keep both thumbs off the slide, too paranoid about slide bite. Maybe a new RSA is in order.

Stengun
05-20-14, 11:25
Howdy Achilles,

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I suspect that, being a new model, there's still some bugs to be worked out. I keep both thumbs off the slide, too paranoid about slide bite. Maybe a new RSA is in order.

It's not a new model, just a G21 with a longer slide and barrel.

I guess Glock about 19 years ago to make a longslide version of the G20 and G21 and it looks like they finally made one in .45acp.

I have a NIB unfired G21SF that I bought to build a longslide 10mm out of but due to my car project I haven't done it yet.

Down through the years I've realized that most hiccups in semi-auto pistols are due to "operator error" and not the gun.

I have a Norinco 1911A1 that I bought from my BIL that I've had since 1993. My BIL got rid of it because to would jam at lest once during a two mag shooting spree.

Since I've own the Norinco I've had less than a handful, as in 5, hiccups and 3 of those were due to my crappy reloads ( dead primers that I think got wet ) and 2 from a cheapo GI mag that got tossed.

I didn't do anything to the pistol except shoot it.

You might consider looking at your grip, stance, etc.

I have a G35 and for some unknown reason it would lock the slide back while shooting it. At this point I had sent +100,000 rounds downrange out of numerous Glocks without this happening. The G35 had an extended slide stop/release/ catch/lever/or whatever you like to call it and I was "thumbing" the lever because of my "thumbs forward" grip. I swapped the slide thingy for the one that was in my G23 and the "problem" followed the slide thingy. +15,000 rounds later I haven't had any hiccups out of my G35.

When I put a new non-extended slide thingy in the G23 the problem went away.

HTH

Paul

glocktogo
05-20-14, 12:56
Howdy Achilles,

It's not a new model, just a G21 with a longer slide and barrel.

Paul

Actually, it is a new model. The frame is a modified Gen 4 large frame and the slide is completely new. It's thinner than the 21 slide and while it's the same length as the 34/35. the cutout on the top has been deleted. Subsequently, the barrel locking lugs are different. All combined, this means the locking and RSA have to be re-engineered to ensure optimal cycling. That runs the gamut when considering the wide range of available ammo in 45 ACP.

Glock has a well documented history of re-engineering what they consider "perfection", and it doesn't always work on the street. That's why I said this bears watching closely for repeated issues. Time will tell if these are isolated incidents or the tip of a larger iceberg.

hal13
05-20-14, 14:15
Actually, it is a new model. The frame is a modified Gen 4 large frame and the slide is completely new. It's thinner than the 21 slide and while it's the same length as the 34/35. the cutout on the top has been deleted. Subsequently, the barrel locking lugs are different. All combined, this means the locking and RSA have to be re-engineered to ensure optimal cycling. That runs the gamut when considering the wide range of available ammo in 45 ACP.

Glock has a well documented history of re-engineering what they consider "perfection", and it doesn't always work on the street. That's why I said this bears watching closely for repeated issues. Time will tell if these are isolated incidents or the tip of a larger iceberg.

I am not sure what Glock 41 you have. I have a Gen 4 Glock 41 and a Gen 4 GLOCK 21. The lower is the same. The Glock 41 has a Gen 4 Glock 21 lower, they are identical. The RSA is the same. The only difference I can see between my GEN 4 Glock 21 and my GEN 4 Glock 41 is the slide and the barrel.

Stengun
05-20-14, 15:31
Howdy,

I am not sure what Glock 41 you have. I have a Gen 4 Glock 41 and a Gen 4 GLOCK 21. The lower is the same. The Glock 41 has a Gen 4 Glock 21 lower, they are identical. The RSA is the same. The only difference I can see between my GEN 4 Glock 21 and my GEN 4 Glock 41 is the slide and the barrel.

Yep, they're the same except for the slide which is a thin wall design and the barrel is longer.

The RSA is the same.

Here's a link:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/mobile/article.php?id=27302

Paul

SamuelBLong
05-20-14, 16:46
Is it feeding half way into the chamber, or is it half feeding up the ramp and into the chamber?

I've seen the latter caused by a bad brand new mag.

Post a pic if you can.

Bret
05-21-14, 08:36
Achilles, given that you've tried several brands of factory loaded ammo, I'd simply send the pistol back to Glock. I'd suggest that you take pictures at a minimum. A video of the pistol jamming would be even better.

Down through the years I've realized that most hiccups in semi-auto pistols are due to "operator error" and not the gun.
My personal experience is exactly the opposite (considering me as the operator and not others). I've bought a good number of pistols over the years. 1/4 to 1/3 simply do not run reliably out of the box. If it's a simple fix that will not void the warranty, I'll do it myself. Otherwise, I keep sending the pistol back until the factory fixes it. They don't always fix it right the first time, but most get them fixed eventually.

sinister
05-21-14, 09:29
2,000 rounds through my 41 now after four weeks -- no hiccups with 185 and 200 LSWCs, Nosler 185 JHPs, and 185 and 230 Ball.

Send it back to Glock.

Stengun
05-21-14, 10:27
Howdy Bret,

Achilles, given that you've tried several brands of factory loaded ammo, I'd simply send the pistol back to Glock. I'd suggest that you take pictures at a minimum. A video of the pistol jamming would be even better.

My personal experience is exactly the opposite (considering me as the operator and not others). I've bought a good number of pistols over the years. 1/4 to 1/3 simply do not run reliably out of the box. If it's a simple fix that will not void the warranty, I'll do it myself. Otherwise, I keep sending the pistol back until the factory fixes it. They don't always fix it right the first time, but most get them fixed eventually.

1/4 to a 1/3rd where defective from the factory?

OMG!! You talk about bad luck!

I just the opposite. Back in the "Day" when I was in the military, a State employee ( both Arkansas and Texas ) and a Gov't employee and contractor I've fired over a 1,000 semi-auto pistol that were NIB ( I was in during the change from the 1911 to the P9 and I got to test fire/break in an entire shipment of 250 P9s during a 1 month period of time. Plus I was involved with two different field test of the S&W 1006 10mm ) and I only came across a handful, as in 5 or less that needed work.

My BIL bought a Glock 19 Gen4 and had a dozen BTF incidents in 100rds and traded the gun to his sister ( my now ex ) and I put +2,500rds through it using everything from steel cased Tula and Monarch to 127gr +P+ Rangers to my crappy 124/147gr lead reloads without a single hiccup or BTF incident.

I guess it's like some people are more accident prone than others. I work as an industrial maintenance tech at a large manufacturing plant and on of my co-workers, Kenny, has injured himself more than the rest of us put together.

Kenny was trying to remove a large bolt and piggybacked two wrenches together for more leverage and ended up stabbing himself in the forehead with the piggybacked wrench. Almost two years to the day the same coworker did the same thing again on the same bolt using the exact same wrenches.

I could tell you numerous stories about Kenny doing stupid stuff.

Paul

Bret
05-21-14, 11:05
1/4 to a 1/3rd where defective from the factory?

OMG!! You talk about bad luck!
Perhaps it's luck sometimes, but that's just my experience in general. I have no tolerance for paying good money for something that doesn't work. If a pistol like the OP's gives me problems, I'm under no obligation to spend $500 in ammo breaking it in (which in my experience doesn't fix things anyway). It should run 100% from the factory. I send it back and provide details of everything. If they don't fix it, then gun goes back again. I will not sell a gun that I become frustrated with because it isn't 100% reliable. Perhaps I'm just too hard headed.

Speaking of bad luck, I recently purchased a 9mm Colt Defender. This is a pistol with a pretty solid reputation for reliability. On the third mag through the pistol, the guide rod literally shot out the front of the pistol. Turns out that an e-clip that holds the springs on the guide rod let loose for some reason. Unfortunately, the pistol did manage to load the next cartridge and it obviously can't be sent back in for repair with a live cartridge in the chamber. I then had a pistol that was locked up (both recoil springs are loose and binding inside the pistol) and wouldn't allow the slide to be retracted enough to eject the live cartridge. After a good amount of pondering, I wrapped electrical tape from in front of the trigger guard around the rear sight and back again five times. I then fired the live cartridge. The slide did not go back, so damage to the pistol was avoided. I called Colt and now it's on the way back to them. As they should have, they paid for the shipment. I do wonder how they're going to get the pistol apart. I'm sure they'll make it right and I'll be happy.
http://s27.postimg.org/ahx1rvd03/Colt_Defender_9mm_taped_before_left_view.jpg

Achilles11B
05-25-14, 21:10
Email sent to Glock, I'll see what they say about it. I appreciate the assistance from everyone.

GMP
05-26-14, 16:26
Perhaps it's luck sometimes, but that's just my experience in general. I have no tolerance for paying good money for something that doesn't work. If a pistol like the OP's gives me problems, I'm under no obligation to spend $500 in ammo breaking it in (which in my experience doesn't fix things anyway). It should run 100% from the factory. I send it back and provide details of everything. If they don't fix it, then gun goes back again. I will not sell a gun that I become frustrated with because it isn't 100% reliable. Perhaps I'm just too hard headed.

Speaking of bad luck, I recently purchased a 9mm Colt Defender. This is a pistol with a pretty solid reputation for reliability. On the third mag through the pistol, the guide rod literally shot out the front of the pistol. Turns out that an e-clip that holds the springs on the guide rod let loose for some reason. Unfortunately, the pistol did manage to load the next cartridge and it obviously can't be sent back in for repair with a live cartridge in the chamber. I then had a pistol that was locked up (both recoil springs are loose and binding inside the pistol) and wouldn't allow the slide to be retracted enough to eject the live cartridge. After a good amount of pondering, I wrapped electrical tape from in front of the trigger guard around the rear sight and back again five times. I then fired the live cartridge. The slide did not go back, so damage to the pistol was avoided. I called Colt and now it's on the way back to them. As they should have, they paid for the shipment. I do wonder how they're going to get the pistol apart. I'm sure they'll make it right and I'll be happy.
http://s27.postimg.org/ahx1rvd03/Colt_Defender_9mm_taped_before_left_view.jpg

Wow! I had commented on that post but had not followed it since. The tape plan is interesting to say the least...glad it worked. I hope they get it fixed for you. I decided against one based upon your experience.

Sending the thing to Glock would be the best thing to do. A Glock should run...

samuse
05-26-14, 22:44
They'll prolly cut the slide stop, pull out the axle and slide everything off the front.