PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Shooter Wants an 870 - Suggested Mods?

1022rimfire
06-02-08, 21:25
Hi all,

I am left handed and I currently have a Mossberg 590A1 18" (with Surefire fore-end) shotgun due to the ambidextrous safety and easy to reach carrier release button. But I find this gun to be quite heavy and the action rattles more than I expected.

So I would like to buy an 870, but would like to find out if there are any mods suggested to make it more friendly for a left handed shooter.

- Is the carrier release location an issue for lefty's?
- Can the cross-bolt safety be reversed?

I think these were the two features that drew me towards the 590A1 over an 870.

Or are there techniques such that these aren't drawbacks for lefties?

I do want ghost ring sights and a possible picatinny rail for an Aimpoint T-1, but I'd like to keep the weight down.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Erick Gelhaus
06-02-08, 23:23
- Is the carrier release location an issue for lefty's?
- Can the cross-bolt safety be reversed?

As a lefty ... carrier release is not an issue.
The safety can be reversed - by a competent gunsmith - and I've got two 870s set up that way. A better suggestion, and the route I'll go if I need to set up another 870, is to buy a complete, new L/H fire control group and install it.
(I did have a L/H 870 but I sold it)

Or are there techniques such that these aren't drawbacks for lefties?
There are ways to manipulate the safety w/the left hand. They involve rolling or positioning the L/h under the receiver.
My personal preference is to make the weapon L/H friendly ... but that's just me.

I do want ghost ring sights and a possible picatinny rail for an Aimpoint T-1, but I'd like to keep the weight down.

I have a Mesa shell holder / rail combination specifically for a T-1 but I have not installed it yet.
The T-1 was quite nice on a semi-auto I just finished playing with.

Gutshot John
06-03-08, 09:50
This is actually one of the few times I agree it's better to make it lefty-friendly.

The safety can be reversed by a competent gunsmith which is what I did on mine.

VC Systems also makes a oversized ball safety which is also an option if you don't want to reverse it. Hans is also a hell of a guy and a genuine artisan if you want to have him modify your 870.

Dave L.
06-03-08, 12:19
As a lefty ... carrier release is not an issue.
The safety can be reversed - by a competent gunsmith - and I've got two 870s set up that way. A better suggestion, and the route I'll go if I need to set up another 870, is to buy a complete, new L/H fire control group and install it.
(I did have a L/H 870 but I sold it)

I have a Mesa shell holder / rail combination specifically for a T-1 but I have not installed it yet.
The T-1 was quite nice on a semi-auto I just finished playing with.

Where did you get your LH Fire control group? Can that be put on a LH 870?
Also, where did you get the Mesa setup- I thought they only made the combo deal for the Benelli's.

I have been using RH 870s since I was 12- Bird hunting really taught me how to manipulate the controls in a hurry- I wouldn't mind my primary home defense weapon having a LH safety though.

Army Chief
06-03-08, 12:30
Concur.

LH mods often aren't truly necessary, and one can easily learn to get around the manual of arms -- even on an 870 -- but there are some real advantages to converting the safety.

As stated, you can buy the LH group, have a gunsmith do it for you, or Remington used to offer the service as well. It's worth the perceived hassle.

Chief

HoBoBum
08-01-08, 13:05
I think Remington still does the con.