PDA

View Full Version : Which handguns to put away for the kids?

Bluto
05-18-14, 20:25
This may seem silly, but who knows what the future brings and in any case I want my kids to have the tools they need for any foreseeable scenario. To that end, I recently bought my kids each an AR15 for when they are older. They are only 7 and 8 now, so we have quite a while. For that purchase, I got them simple Colts.

Now the focus has shifted to handguns. I want to get them each a handgun to throw in the safe until they are 21. Yes, that is a long time from now, but now that things have stabilized and prices are coming down it makes sense for us.

I had in mind Gen4 Glock 19’s, but am second guessing that thought having handled guns like the S&W Core, H&K USP9 and others.

I am sure between now and 14+ years from now there will be other advancements (who knows what generation Glocks will be up to), but I don’t really want to take a chance. In any case, if something better than what I go with becomes available, it wouldn’t be unrealistic to sell them and go with the latest and greatest, pending my magazine requirement detailed below.

My main requirements are:
Reliability, durability, etc.
9mm - no other calibers for this purpose
High capacity magazine (15+ rounds)
Easy to find spare parts
Somewhat concealable (probably excludes the USP9 from the list)
Magazine commonality*

The magazines are a significant issue. Whatever I end up buying I will also buy at least 20 magazines each off the bat and occasionally add to the pile. I can’t imagine that Glock would change the magazine to suit a new generation so I feel somewhat better about replacing Glocks with newer generations as they are released. That being said, I am not very familiar with the history of the other manufacturers and their track record regarding magazines. If anyone could enlighten me, it would be appreciated.

In all of this, cost isn’t really a factor. Buy once cry once and all…

So my questions are:

1. Is anyone else doing this or am I being ridiculous?
2. What would (did) you go with? Glock, S&W, H&K or something else?

These are handguns I am buying specifically for them. They will, of course, inherit my weapons as well.

Thank you for reading and your input!!!

Kain
05-18-14, 20:35
Have you thought about a Beretta M9/FS92/M9A1/FS92A1? Reason I bring it up is myself and several friends had this discussion about guns to put up for a rainy day as it were, and one brought up the fact that with the Beretta being the issue gun for the military, parts, mags, and accessories are out there in abundance. The ones I have used that weren't military have been reliable and more than accurate. As far as concealable, well they are no worse than a 1911 to me, and I have carried 1911s conceals. Again, lots of mags and parts out there, as are holsters.

Anyway, it is a thought. I am sure I am not making things easier for you, but I would want to have as many options in making a decision like this as possible.

Blayglock
05-18-14, 20:38
You had it right the first time. Glock 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjxds
05-18-14, 20:46
Like you said, my kids will get everything I have one day anyway, so I would start with bb guns then rim fires, until they get old enough to really know what they prefer. I would then buy them their gun of choice, within reason if they were to target shoot, trap/skeet, hunt. Buy the best you can afford. As your kids get older you may find they have a different in preference in types guns than you do. I do not see anything wrong with putting away a couple of AR's or anything else for a rainy day. Keep in mind some of my most cherished guns, the ones with the most sentimental value, are not really worth a damm quality or collectability wise, but the memories of the shooting or hunting adventures with dad or kids make them priceless to me. In he end it will be a win win for everyone.

graffex
05-18-14, 21:08
Can't go wrong with the G19.

uffdaphil
05-18-14, 21:26
I would not buy any pistol you are not going to use for the next 13+ years. That Gen4 will probably seem pitiful compared to the Gen7 available in 2027.

Rohardi
05-18-14, 21:37
I think the Glock 19 will be the best combo of all the things you are looking for.

MegademiC
05-18-14, 21:37
... As far as concealable, well they are no worse than a 1911 to me, ...

I find the 92 way worse than the 1911 in this regard due to width. Actually, width the the #1 issue when concealing a handgun IME. You may differ on that.

That said, it can be done and would be an excellent choice for a hand-down gun, along with a quality 1911, g19 (I would ensure its good), M&P(same if 9), or a sig226 or such.

For your purpose, I would stick with a basic, very common, quality gun. You may also want to consider holding out for the new striker HK as it looks promising last I heard.

NWPilgrim
05-18-14, 22:00
I am doing a similar things for my grandchildren. Already got an AR15 and G19 for each of my adult daughters. I buy extras of other things so there is something for grandkids in each of their families. Garands, M1 Carbines, AKs, more Glocks, hunting rifles, lots of mags and ammo. We use them all now but there is more than I need and they have room for. So I keep them until they are on their own or I keel over.

Hopefully we can keep the collection current with newer models and platforms. But at least they will have a few field and combat proven arms to start with.

Kain
05-18-14, 22:09
I find the 92 way worse than the 1911 in this regard due to width. Actually, width the the #1 issue when concealing a handgun IME. You may differ on that.

For me it generally comes down to a combination or width and the length of the grip. Compared to my USP Expert a 92 is thin and sleek. Also in regards to width for me as long as it isn't where the holster is in regards to me belt it doesn't bother me. For example, I would rather carry a 92, IWB than a small frame revolver usually. it's all relative. I know guys who bitch about the width of a glock and still find a .380 pocket pistol a pain, and then others who as long as the holster is decent they really don't care. I don't fall into either extreme, but I am towards the decent holster, don't more than it has to be comfortable beyond all else.

hossb7
05-18-14, 23:03
Easy to find spare parts
Magazine commonality*

given that you have at least 10+ years, I would think that you could buy ANY of those pistols then slowly stock up on magazines and a whole host of spare parts to last them a lifetime.

MountainRaven
05-18-14, 23:21
I would not buy any pistol you are not going to use for the next 13+ years. That Gen4 will probably seem pitiful compared to the Gen7 available in 2027.

This.

If you're going to be putting plastic fantastics away for your kids, I'd let small arms evolution take its course - the money you spend now on the latest and greatest will be anything but by then.

Instead, I'd invest in heirloom weapons: BHPs, P7s, NHC and Wilson 1911s, &c. Stuff that will never go "out of style" and that your kids will truly appreciate and love.

That reminds me... I should find a P7 PSP. Still kicking myself over letting the last one go....

EvgeniBG
05-19-14, 02:47
Easy to find spare parts
Magazine commonality*

So my questions are:

In terms of Your needs - USP9F. I respectfully disagree that USP can't be CC as I do it every day with no problems at all.
Of course - You are not ridiculous! All my respects to Your sense of paternal responsibility!

walkin' trails
05-19-14, 07:10
I bought my kids each a 10/22 for Xmas a few years back. I've thought about getting each of them a G19, so your idea is not too far off. Mine are older now, however. The best thing you can do now is start to teach them responsible gun handling and marksmanship.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Beat Trash
05-19-14, 09:02
I had the exact same thoughts about 13-14 years ago. I ended up with an AR and a Glock 19 for each kid.

Yes the Beretta is the issued gun for the US Military currently and this may have a positive effect on parts availability. But the Glock platform is also widely issued and parts air around.

I would stock up on some of the wear parts such as gas rings on the AR and recoil springs on the Glock.

I went with the Glock 19 as I felt (and still do feel) that it is one of the best "all around" guns. It's size is such that it can function as a full size duty weapon/holster gun while still being small enough to realistically carry concealed.

As much as I liked the Glock 19 gen3 guns I bought for myself and for my kids, my Glock 19 is semi retired. I bought a new Glock 19 gen4 last fall. Mine has a test fire date of Halloween 2013. It shows none of the issues that have plagued the Glocks for a period. The ability to add the back straps for people like myself with larger hands is enough of an advantage that I would buy gen 4 Glock 19's if I were doing it today.

Don't forget to store away magazines and ammunition as well as the guns, no matter which one you chose.

I also obtained a copy of the Glock armor's course from a friend and included a copy with each kid's stash. The nice thing about the Glock system is if you can read an armor's manual, you can work on your gun. It's really not that complicated of a system to work on at all.

Warp
05-19-14, 16:32

I doubt that.

It's been 9 years since I bought my first Glock and to this day if I could only keep one of my guns...it would be that one.

They work, they work well, they have a ton of market and aftermarket support, mags are inexpensive, common, and work well, they have proven themselves. Even with new generations coming out, the previous models are still perfectly viable. Some people even prefer their Gen2 to what's new, or their old Gen3.

fowler
05-19-14, 16:41
Gen 3 G19 or G17 are proven,the verdict is still on on the 4th serie's.

Javelin
05-19-14, 16:50
I would recommend buying 10 full capacity mags for whichever pistol you choose for your children. They will probably thank you for your foresight.

uffdaphil
05-19-14, 17:05
I doubt that.

It's been 9 years since I bought my first Glock and to this day if I could only keep one of my guns...it would be that one.

They work, they work well, they have a ton of market and aftermarket support, mags are inexpensive, common, and work well, they have proven themselves. Even with new generations coming out, the previous models are still perfectly viable. Some people even prefer their Gen2 to what's new, or their old Gen3.

I might feel the same way about a pistol that fit my needs well for 9 years. But are the OP's kids going to feel that way about old-tech they have no connection with? Inheriting a father's well-used gun has an emotional component, but an unused common production gun is just NOS not a Colt Python to drool over. If their peers are buying Glocks with integrated range finder, camera, GPS, IR laser Linked to Google glass display, etc. the heartfelt gift may not be received so graciously.

BBossman
05-19-14, 17:12
Honestly, if a scenario developed where the only firearms available to them are those "put away" for them, I would go for a full-size service weapon. Add a supply of magazines and at least 1k of ammo for each handgun and 2k for each long gun.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
05-19-14, 17:12
Phased Plasma Pistol in the 40-Watt Range

fixit69
05-19-14, 17:57
If money is truly no object, a custom 1911. Parts, are plentiful and they would have an awsome family heirloom to pass to their kids from "Grampa".

Functionality, high mag capacity, general toughness... A glock 19 as others have stated. Hell, you could but them two or more depending on what one model 1911 you bought.

MistWolf
05-19-14, 22:43
The firearms my sons appreciate the most are the ones they grew up shooting. Don't put them away, let the kids shoot

SkiDevil
05-19-14, 22:47
HK USP 9mm
15 round mags/ polymer & not as costly as HK factory metal magazines
Reliable pistol with minimal maintenence
Capability of extended service with no Recoil spring or other small parts replacement
20,000+ round rated service life
Duty-size pistol/ hammer fired (less ammo sensitive)
rated for +p+ ammo
Concealable with appropriate attire

Other choice: Glock 17 Gen. 2 or Gen. 3, with suitable parts replacement supplies (recoil springs, extractors, etc.), magazines

bighawk
05-19-14, 22:49
A buddy of mine is still shooting/carrying his dads old gen 2 g19 from the early 90's... Somewhere about 20 years old now and shoots just as well as my new Gen 3 19's. Its what made me go with the Glock 19 in the first place... All that aside the G19 also best fits all your requirements. I always recommend the 19

Raivkka
05-19-14, 23:41
Not sure why you all want a glock to put away for a decade, those are throw away weapons.

A super nice Wilson combat, Nighthawk or a full on custom 1911 for me tyvm
They have been the same for a 100 years and they'll be here in another 100.

moonshot
05-20-14, 06:29
I like your idea, and as long as the financial investment is within your budget, it can make a lot of sense. However, I would consider a few other issues as well, and therefore a few other guns.

You don't state if you have any girls, but girls frequently have smaller hands than boys. There are women in my family who cannot properly hold a Glock (at least not the Gen 3's). Additionally, you don't know how they will carry the gun. Longer grips are harder to conceal than shorter grips. There are plenty of times now when I need to wear a tucked in shirt, and a G19 will not conceal for me, but a G26 will. When I can conceal it, I just carry a G19 mag with an Xgrip adapter.

Young people do young people things, and wear young people clothes. No one knows what either of those will be in 14 years, but an uber concealable gun, suitable for deep cover, might be a sound idea as well. I would consider adding an airweight Centinial J-frame to the mix. Grips can be had to fit virtually any hand, they can be loaded with WC's if recoil is an isue up to +p .38's for better performance, and they can be carried in more locations on the body than just about anything else. I would avoid the all steel guns and the helium-filled lightweights due to the steels being harder to carry and the lightweights being harder to shoot. Especially if you have girls.

Finally, I would avoid any gun that is new to the market. I would not invest in a platform that does not have a solid history of success. If Glock can screw up the release of the Gen 4s, I wouldn't trust any manufacturer's recent introduction. Not for a gun that won't get wrung out for 14 years.

Warp
05-20-14, 07:28
I might feel the same way about a pistol that fit my needs well for 9 years. But are the OP's kids going to feel that way about old-tech they have no connection with?

Wait...this is the logic offered for going with even-older-tech?

JoeStrummer
05-20-14, 07:38
I have to agree with MistWolf, whatever you get them, get them started shooting early when they can safely handle the gun you got for them.

I would go with Glock 19, 10 mags, 1000 rounds in a ammo can, a couple simple holsters, and spare parts.

My wife is due in August and now ya all got me thinking :), my 18 year old daughter has no interest in firearms and am hoping this next one has more of a interest.

uffdaphil
05-20-14, 08:18
Wait...this is the logic offered for going with even-older-tech?

No, it's the logic of laying away a classic like a python or 1911 that is not likely to evolve versus a pistol that will incorporate new tech as it comes along. Imagine you are stashing a car for your kid. An older sports car might be appreciated. A 13 year old F-100, even with zero miles, not so much.

05-21-14, 08:14
When I'm gone they'll get whatever is left, including a legacy of freedom. That, I will ensure...

SteveS
05-21-14, 10:32
Anything that is all steel .

tylerw02
05-21-14, 10:56
I agree, start them young and let them grow with the gun. g19 would be a good choice, as would a sig or other quality pistol.

I see the concern. You wish to buy them in the instance of a ban, they are grandfathered. A few woes people did the same for their kids in the 60s before registration became the norm.

Talon167
05-21-14, 13:33
I voted USP because I am a USP guy, but a G19 would be nice, too. I wouldn't worry about the plastic... especially if it's not being stored in direct sunlight (which I doubt).

If you're serious, I'd buy two pistols, parts, and tons of mags.

12thman
05-21-14, 15:28
Glock 42 otherwise I'd do a gen 4 G19 with a grip reduction and finger grooves cut to fit smaller hands

...i think i misread the op, mine picks were based on if they were going to start shooting at an early age, if this is for when they grow up i'd go with the M&P core, since it is the most modern out of all the choices being its optic ready. Otherwise can't go wrong with a G17, G19, M&P9.

C4IGrant
05-21-14, 15:49
So my questions are:

These are handguns I am buying specifically for them. They will, of course, inherit my weapons as well.

Thank you for reading and your input!!!

Not silly at all. I started doing this some years ago. I have two sons so I really need to buy things in two's and four's (to cut down on the fighting). :)
I concentrated on things that aren't made any more, but are considered semi-collectable. Here is my list so far:

HK
M13 X 2
M8 X 4

FN
HP Alloy Framed X 8
HP (Novak built) X 1
HP (Ted Yost built) X 1
P-35 (Nazi Proofed) X 1

STI
2011 (USA Delta issued Consecutive) x 2

S&W
3953 (Custom Shop gun made for G&R Tactical. Only two exist) X 1

Beretta
92G-SD X 1
92G (type Y variant) X 1
92G X 1
92 Elite II X 1
92 Compact Type M X 1
92SB Compact Type L X 1

Glock
GEN 3 19 RTF2 (straight serrations/Consecutive) X 2

Colt
M45 (with the USMC roll mark) X 1

If I think certain guns are either going to stop being made or possibly banned, I will buy some of those as well, but don't think I will be buying any currently produced pistols for awhile (as I own and shoot a lot of them already).

Some other suggestions is to stock 100 QUALITY 30rd mags (per child). 10-20 Hi-Capacity mags for popular pistols (HK, Glock, S&W, etc).

Good luck and keep at it! Your kids will be thankful that they had a father as forward thinking as you!

C4

Dienekes
05-21-14, 23:50
I started my daughter out on a Glock 19 when she was 13--she turned 34 this year; She also likes wheel guns, but the Glock is still her go-to gun. My son also started at about the same age, prefers revolvers but handles semiautos well enough. I got both of them ARs 8 years ago.

What's in their heads is more important than what's in the gun rack...

LMT Shooter
05-22-14, 01:16
It's not silly at all, to me, and if it isn't to you, you shouldn't give a rat's arse what anyone else thinks.

I voted for the Glock. I don't own one, but it's got (IMHO) the longest history, best parts & mag avaliability of the choices you listed. I would buy whatever you choose & stash them as you proposed, and also buy at least one, or one for every child, to use as a shooter.

NWPilgrim
05-23-14, 01:06
I have to agree with MistWolf, whatever you get them, get them started shooting early when they can safely handle the gun you got for them.

I would go with Glock 19, 10 mags, 1000 rounds in a ammo can, a couple simple holsters, and spare parts.

My wife is due in August and now ya all got me thinking :), my 18 year old daughter has no interest in firearms and am hoping this next one has more of a interest.

Don't give up on your older daughter. Neither of mine were much interested as teenagers beyond what I made them learn. Now that they are moms they are suddenly highly motivated and are still great shots with their G19s and AR15s. Now we are starting the oldest grandkid at 6 yrs with a Lil Rascal .22lr and he works that bolt like a WWI Tommy does his SMLE while nailing those clay targets. His layaways get as much action as any other except my carry G27 and AR.

bighawk
05-24-14, 18:14
The firearms my sons appreciate the most are the ones they grew up shooting. Don't put them away, let the kids shoot

I agree with this and when I have children old enough will take this approach when they are ready but the firearms I appreciate most and enjoy shooting most are not the ones I grew up shooting. My father and grandfathers were hunting rifle guys who owned handguns but never carried them or took me out to shoot them. I actually am the one who got my father into handguns in the past 6 years or so and have actually got him into carrying and shooting regularly.

bighawk
05-24-14, 18:25
Not sure why you all want a glock to put away for a decade, those are throw away weapons.

A super nice Wilson combat, Nighthawk or a full on custom 1911 for me tyvm
They have been the same for a 100 years and they'll be here in another 100.

If I was incredibly wealthy this might be an option however most people gona have the money to purchace two $2000-$3500 guns plus the mags and ammo to stash away for later but could purchace say two glocks 20 mags and 2000 rounds for the cost of one high end 1911. I'm not bashing those guns in any way as I own and have owned a few other high end 1911's over the past few years but it seems like a very expensive idea to stash guns like that for the next decade. As for them being the same for the last hundred and the next I agree however I dont see the parts for guns as popular as the Glock 19 being hard to come by even 10 years from now.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-24-14, 18:30
Something metal. 1911/P35/Berretta/P7/ 90s era Sig 220

Bluto
05-25-14, 09:50
Thank you all for your input!

I guess I should have mentioned that I already have my 1911's that they will inherit, so the steel gun aspect is covered.

My kids are definitely being raised in a shooting environment! I already have Cricketts for them as well as a few other long guns for each stage of their shooting evolution.

As far as advancing technology... If something better comes out, I would not have a problem selling what I bought and buying the latest and greatest. If not, having a 10 year old Glock is better than having nothing.

I ended up getting a hell of a deal on two Glock 19's yesterday. I picked them up along with a few magazines. While I was at the shop I fondled the M&P's again. I think when the gen 2's come out I will take another look at possibly adding a couple of them to the stash.

BTW- The Glock's happen to have consecutive serial numbers. I really never put any thought into this, so I am wondering; what is the attraction?

bighawk
05-25-14, 13:06

I guess I should have mentioned that I already have my 1911's that they will inherit, so the steel gun aspect is covered.

My kids are definitely being raised in a shooting environment! I already have Cricketts for them as well as a few other long guns for each stage of their shooting evolution.

As far as advancing technology... If something better comes out, I would not have a problem selling what I bought and buying the latest and greatest. If not, having a 10 year old Glock is better than having nothing.

I ended up getting a hell of a deal on two Glock 19's yesterday. I picked them up along with a few magazines. While I was at the shop I fondled the M&P's again. I think when the gen 2's come out I will take another look at possibly adding a couple of them to the stash.

BTW- The Glock's happen to have consecutive serial numbers. I really never put any thought into this, so I am wondering; what is the attraction?

Sounds like your kids have a lot of fun in their futures.. I wish my old man would have set me up like this. As far as consecutive serial numbers I have no idea

Warp
05-25-14, 15:12

It's just neat to have consecutive serials, I think. I don't have any that are, but for something like this, it seems neat.

samuse
05-25-14, 15:14
Guns evolve.

If they don't like guns or shooting, they'll be selling an old Glock. If they do, they'll already be shooting what they like.

Buy as many brand new Colt Series 70s (blued) as you can and sit on 'em. Keep the boxes pristine and make sure they don't rust or get idiot scratches.

Those are just about the only handguns that don't decrease in value, and everyone knows what a Colt is.

Bluto
09-03-14, 14:15
So I ended up buying them each a Glock 19 and stashed away a good supply of magazines and ammo.

So far for each child I have a Colt AR15 and a Glock 19.

I want them to each end up with 2 AR’s and 2 pistols each.

So we are now contemplating the next "just in case" purchase and am wondering: what would you guys buy first; another AR or another pistol?

I was thinking of a 45 for their next pistol. Something high-capacity like the HK USP 45, FNX 45 or some other double-stack. Maybe the Para USA 2011?

They will inherit my 1911’s. This is really about having a high-capacity can’t-buy-it-anymore collection.

If another pistol, which one? I get the two-is-one thing, so we have several Glock 19’s already as backups and I will likely do the same with whatever pistol we buy next.

For those that remember my initial post, one of the reasons we went with the Glocks is their simplicity and the fact that the last four generations sued the same magazines, so it is likely they will continue the trend. If that’s the case, we can sell the pistols and upgrade without having to re-buy magazines. I really doubt we will be flexible with anything other than Glock. That being said, I am not too keen on their .45 offerings, but then again, these aren’t for me…

markm
09-03-14, 14:22
What's up with the defeatist attitude? Guns aren't going away... the tide is really trending towards pro gun if anything.

CO handed their trolls' asses to them for their clip legislation. I'm just not feeling the roll over and quit vibe.

brickboy240
09-03-14, 14:30
Yeah but doesn't CO still have the mag ban? So do many other places that got it right after Sandy Hook.

I would NOT go to sleep and think all guns are safe. Besides, the GOP is still very weak and both Hillary and Liz Warren are campaigning and might win with the help of big media.

Hi-cap mag bans are still VERY MUCH a threat...don't kid yourselves!

-brickboy240

tylerw02
09-03-14, 14:35
I'd but ARs because they are dirt cheap for quality right now. Then another pair of G19s.

Ammo and mags are always good. I would avoid optics and lights because anything you buy will be outdated before they get around to mastering their weapons.

If you wanted just a cool pistol in addition to Glock, I'd consider Sig Mark 25s or HK45s. Though a G19/1911 should pretty much satisfy their lust should things go wrong for us.

markm
09-03-14, 14:43
Yeah but doesn't CO still have the mag ban? So do many other places that got it right after Sandy Hook.

Yeah... I've not followed the situation too closely to know if they plan to unscrew that or not....

My point isn't to avoid buying stuff... rather, don't fall into the trap of accepting this horse shit. After Sandy Hook, I swear you could have taken a gun ban vote on the forums and passed gun control with the defeatist mentality going around.

brickboy240
09-03-14, 15:49
True...but many times when these silly laws get passed...it is nearly impossible to get them thrown out.

Also, with the Democratic Party/Media machine...it is very likely we could get another Democrat president and more Democrats in Congress. Then..we are only one more crazy shooting away from another silly ban.

We must be vigilant....but realistic.

-brickboy240

Warp
09-03-14, 16:13
So I ended up buying them each a Glock 19 and stashed away a good supply of magazines and ammo.

So far for each child I have a Colt AR15 and a Glock 19.

I want them to each end up with 2 AR’s and 2 pistols each.

So we are now contemplating the next "just in case" purchase and am wondering: what would you guys buy first; another AR or another pistol?

I was thinking of a 45 for their next pistol. Something high-capacity like the HK USP 45, FNX 45 or some other double-stack. Maybe the Para USA 2011?

They will inherit my 1911’s. This is really about having a high-capacity can’t-buy-it-anymore collection.

If another pistol, which one? I get the two-is-one thing, so we have several Glock 19’s already as backups and I will likely do the same with whatever pistol we buy next.

For those that remember my initial post, one of the reasons we went with the Glocks is their simplicity and the fact that the last four generations sued the same magazines, so it is likely they will continue the trend. If that’s the case, we can sell the pistols and upgrade without having to re-buy magazines. I really doubt we will be flexible with anything other than Glock. That being said, I am not too keen on their .45 offerings, but then again, these aren’t for me…

Pistol.

If I could only have one gun, it would be a Glock 26 or a Glock 19.

Reason: If all you have is a rifle or shotgun chances are you spend a great deal if your time, if not an outright majority, unarmed. Personally my primary purpose for firearms is defensive, and a handgun I can carry concealed on my person is the undisputed champion here.

kantstudien
09-03-14, 16:52
If we don't start voting the dumbasses out of office, every gun will be one to put away for the kids.

Beat Trash
09-03-14, 17:20
I'd but ARs because they are dirt cheap for quality right now. Then another pair of G19s.

Ammo and mags are always good. I would avoid optics and lights because anything you buy will be outdated before they get around to mastering their weapons.

If you wanted just a cool pistol in addition to Glock, I'd consider Sig Mark 25s or HK45s. Though a G19/1911 should pretty much satisfy their lust should things go wrong for us.

This....

Or maybe add a pocket gun like a S&W 642.

Outlander Systems
09-03-14, 17:46
What's up with the defeatist attitude? Guns aren't going away... the tide is really trending towards pro gun if anything.

CO handed their trolls' asses to them for their clip legislation. I'm just not feeling the roll over and quit vibe.

This. With the prices/quality/availability right now, the saying will have to be revised to, "An AR behind every blade of grass".

Pilot1
09-03-14, 18:02
I voted something else. A nice all steel framed classic would be my choice. BHP, Colt GM or Gold Cup, CZ-75 variant, HK P7 would be one I would consider.

theJanitor
09-03-14, 18:13
I've bought several full-house custom 1911's for my son. He's not nearly old enough to use them yet, but they will be here for him when he is. I also bought a special matched set of custom colts; one for me and one for him. One day I will pass mine on to one of his kids, and they will have a matching set.

Next on the list are some S&W and Colt wheelguns. Hope to find or commission a great pair of pistols too.

I'm not too worried about firearms being legislated away. I just hope the my son's future with firearms are not limited to plastic. That would make me incredibly sad.

Pi3
09-03-14, 18:51
HK P7 with electro less nickel finish and 10 magazines.
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/651010-Fs-hk-p7-m8

A62Rambler
09-03-14, 21:06
I'm going from memory of something I read on this forum somewhere...
I believe the USP has a contract with some overseas agency for pistols until 2025? I know also that the SIG Sigpro has a contract until 2022 with the French Police. So I voted for the USP because of the fact there will at least be parts until their contract ends. That's from memory and I can't quote the source. I think your choice of Glock 19s and ARs was good! Both will be around for a long time and parts will be around for both. I also think it's a great idea. I know my favorite gun was the first one I got even though it was a cap and ball repro. So don't worry about getting something better or newer as those will always hold a special spot in their hearts.

PS I'm kind of old but if you want to adopt me... I could use a USP9 and an AR. ;)

henschman
09-03-14, 22:08
Good choices. The Glock and the AR will be a lot like the K98 and the 1911... over 100 years later, people will still be shooting them, and probably producing variants of them. In 150 years you will probably still be able to get an Uberti replica of them! ;)

The only thing I might have done differently, if you were going for max magazine commonality, would be to get Glock 23s instead, and get 9mm barrels for them plus mags in both 9mm and .40. That way they could switch to either. I did this with my M&P .40, and I was glad I did... during the panic, I could usually find .40 on the shelves at reasonable prices... 9mm not so much. You have to worry about the panics as well as the bans if you're planning for the future.

Of course your kids will probably be printing up mags and parts on 3D printers in a decade or two! It wouldn't hurt to get them started on a MakerBot.

More important than any of this though is to teach them the spirit of defiance, and that the proper response to tyranny is not to comply, but to defy and resist. Teach them where rights come from... that they sure ain't from any government, and none has the authority to take them away either. They need to know that it is their responsibility to carry forward the ideal of the American Revolution, and to make sure their children grow up with more liberty than they themselves had in their lifetime.

You really should bring those kidd-o's to an Appleseed rifle marksmanship clinic as soon as you think they are ready to handle a .22 rifle in a group setting. Maybe they are there already... we have lots of kids their age on the firing line every weekend. If they like to shoot, they will have a blast shooting Redcoat targets and 25m Army Qualification Tests all weekend. www.appleseedinfo.org

moonshot
09-05-14, 05:57
Very interesting discussion.

If I could only have one gun, it would be a Glock 26 or a Glock 19.

Reason: If all you have is a rifle or shotgun chances are you spend a great deal if your time, if not an outright majority, unarmed. Personally my primary purpose for firearms is defensive, and a handgun I can carry concealed on my person is the undisputed champion here.

This ^ makes a lot of sense.

Or maybe add a pocket gun like a S&W 642.

As does this ^.

Greg Bell
Something metal. 1911/P35/Berretta/P7/ 90s era Sig 220

Greg, why metal? Don't trust the long-term durability of polymer? Would you recomend only steel, or is aluminum OK? What about exotic metals such as titanium, scandium, etc?

Is the recommendation for metal limited to the frame, or would you extend it to all component parts?

dpadams6
09-05-14, 07:56
Glock 19's and ar's are a great choice. I'd buy more ar's before pistols. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the USP Compact 9mm. Fantastic platform

Warp
09-05-14, 11:43
Glock 19's and ar's are a great choice. I'd buy more ar's before pistols. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the USP Compact 9mm. Fantastic platform

Why is that?

dpadams6
09-05-14, 11:46
Why is that?
Some mentioned the USP is good, but too big for carry. USP Compact to the recue

Warp
09-05-14, 11:47
Some mentioned the USP is good, but too big for carry. USP Compact to the recue

I mean the part in bold, about buying more AR's before pistols

dpadams6
09-05-14, 11:50
I mean the part in bold, about buying more AR's before pistols
Purchase permits required for handguns. Not so with Rifles. And if anything will be banned in the future, it'll be AR's before handguns. :)

Warp
09-05-14, 11:56
Purchase permits required for handguns. Not so with Rifles. And if anything will be banned in the future, it'll be AR's before handguns. :)

I don't recall the OP saying anything about purchase permits, or which state he lives in (Is OP in North Carolina?)

If a ban is the concern when it comes to multiples I'd consider perhaps some stripped lowers and a second/third handgun before another complete rifle due to the ability to readily carry (and conceal) handguns plus the additional cost of the rifle. That's just me though.

Bluto
09-15-14, 19:47
Guys, thank you all for your input!

I have decided to go a bit different and get them each a Colt 6933 SBR.

After this, maybe we will revisit the second handgun question...

Bluto
09-15-14, 19:50
I've bought several full-house custom 1911's for my son. He's not nearly old enough to use them yet, but they will be here for him when he is. I also bought a special matched set of custom colts; one for me and one for him. One day I will pass mine on to one of his kids, and they will have a matching set.

Next on the list are some S&W and Colt wheelguns. Hope to find or commission a great pair of pistols too.

I'm not too worried about firearms being legislated away. I just hope the my son's future with firearms are not limited to plastic. That would make me incredibly sad.

I have some nice 1911's they will inherit, but I really like your matched-set idea and may copy it!