PDA

View Full Version : Aero Precision Barrels

DragonDoc
05-18-14, 20:41
What's the word on Aero's barrels? Are they worth buying for a budget build?

MorphCross
05-18-14, 21:53
Which barrel in specific? AP list their Chrome Moly barrels as being MPI and HP tested. However they also list these barrels as having a "mil-spec" coating. The problem with this claim is that QPQ is a heat treatment in high-temperature salt baths, not a coating. Also, chrome lining is the only mil-spec coating out there according to the technical data package. AP is hurting its credibility by claiming something is mil-spec when it technically isn't as well as incorrectly listing QPQ as a coating.

I wouldn't say it is an inferior barrel. If AP had these barrels lead-lapped prior to QPQ than they would be a hell of a deal. For the price it isn't a bad option.

DragonDoc
05-19-14, 20:31
It is this one.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aero-precision-105-barrel.html

Col_Crocs
05-19-14, 23:26
Not saying they're bad but if it's the QPQ treatment you're after, You may want to check out Ballistic Advantage as well.

Jim D
05-22-14, 14:07
I'd be interested in hearing from people who've used these, too.

krichbaum
05-22-14, 14:52
I have one of the AP 10.5" barrels coming, not sure when I'll get it built up and shoot it though. In the pics it looks very much like the BA barrels, and I've read that BA makes them but I have no idea if that is true or not.

luckydube56
05-22-14, 15:35
Interesting. They actually listed the gas port diameter. I'm not sure I've seen that from other retailers. .077 for their 10.5

markm
05-22-14, 15:45
I have one of the AP 10.5" barrels coming, not sure when I'll get it built up and shoot it though. In the pics it looks very much like the BA barrels, and I've read that BA makes them but I have no idea if that is true or not.

That 10.5 looks tempting. Although I need another AR barrel like I need a hole in the head.

Interesting. They actually listed the gas port diameter. I'm not sure I've seen that from other retailers. .077 for their 10.5

Damn. They sure did. That's nice.

krichbaum
06-02-14, 20:16
So, I finally got my 10.5" barrel in. It weighs exactly 19oz as advertised. A 0.078" drill bit just barely slides into the gas port (although I didn't put a micrometer on the bit to get the actual size). Nothing notable in terms of appearance, but the fit/finish is nice if that matters to anyone. The packing for shipping leaves a lot to be desired and it's really lucky this barrel didn't end up poking out the side of the box it was shipped in.

I also picked up one of their gas blocks on this order. It seems to be designed so that you push it up against the shoulder on the barrel rather than leaving a space the thickness of a handguard cap like I normally have done with other LP gas blocks. The gas port lines up perfectly without any gap at all. It comes with two knurled set screws, but no roll pin for the gas tube. Nothing notable in terms of appearance, looks pretty much like most other LP gas blocks other than having their logo on the side.

I literally just threw this thing together the other day and got a chance to shoot a little this evening. I basically zeroed it and shot it side by side with my LMT MRP 10.5" upper both suppressed and not. I really could tell little difference in the recoil and cycling of the two. They felt identical to me and even ejected brass in about the same direction. I'll be using this upper with the AP barrel with an H3 buffer for now. FWIW, with the H3 buffer or an A5H3 unsuppressed the brass ejects at about 3:30 and suppressed at about 2:00. The suppressor used was an AAC Mini-4. And I was using an LMT enhanced carrier, which can have some effect on ejection as well.

I've just barely shot it but I think this AP barrel is a tad overgassed, which is what I expected based on the port size. That said, it really seems very close to my factory MRP 10.5" barrel. You will want a pretty heavy buffer, or you could always use an adjustable gas block and turn it down some. I'd expect it to run on some pretty weak ammo with no gas regulation though, which is good for some people. I was shooting some of my bulk reloads with 54gr tracers and 24.5gr of WC844F powder...not hot but not all that weak either.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/hammermill290/AP%2010_5%20barrel/2014-05-30174232Medium_zps69e50866.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/hammermill290/AP%2010_5%20barrel/2014-05-30182328Medium_zpsf55b5b5a.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/hammermill290/AP%2010_5%20barrel/2014-05-30182350Medium_zps26b59d7f.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/hammermill290/AP%2010_5%20barrel/2014-05-30182953Medium_zpsa9837a3f.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/hammermill290/AP%2010_5%20barrel/2014-05-30185818Medium_zpsd09c350f.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/hammermill290/AP%2010_5%20barrel/2014-06-02191420Medium_zps8e0c0d8c.jpg

DragonDoc
06-02-14, 21:56
Great review. Thanks Krichbaum.

Jim D
06-04-14, 16:39
I've got one on the way too. If it's a touch overgassed, that works just fine for me. I'm no ammo snob so I'm sure it'll see weak loads through it.

Just as an FYI on Aero Precision, they apparently ship everything signature required. I called in today to try and get that changed and was informed there was a fee for them to do that (wtf?). Maybe if you put it in the comments section when you place your order that could be avoided.

markm
06-04-14, 16:42
you will want a pretty heavy buffer, or you could always use an adjustable gas block and turn it down some.

An adjustable is pretty much mandatory on a SBR barrel ported to run unsuppressed. It's such a valuable addition to that equation.

Just as an FYI on Aero Precision, they apparently ship everything signature required.

I hate that crap.

philcam
08-21-14, 19:53
Any updates to those running this barrel?

Jim D
08-22-14, 15:13
Any updates to those running this barrel?
I'm too broke and busy to have put mine through the ringer, but I'm pleased with my purchase. (10.5" barrel)

Prelim accuracy met my expectations and I've had no cycling problems with XM193 or Hornady 5.56mm duty loads (standard weight carbine buffer, trying an H2 out next time I make it out).

Marlin 795
08-23-14, 04:27
Glad to hear. I am looking to get one of them soon, though it's a hard choice between this, BCM, and Sionics. The price makes a strong case though.

hotrodder636
10-03-14, 00:11
I am interested to hear if anyone has any further information on this topic since last post. Updates?

ewetstone
10-06-14, 13:21
I recently purchase a 14.5 1/7 mid-length QPQ treated barrel.

Many mfg's incorrectly describe this surface treatment process as a "coating" which it is not. The process is basically nitriding which is done several different ways. It is also called melonite by other mfg's. but the principle is pretty much the same.

Aero does not turn the barrels themselves as I found out and wont say who does.

In any case I have found Aero to sell a very good product. Most of us are familiar with their lowers and uppers which at least for me have always been "in-spec" and very well machined so I chose to trust them when it came to getting a barrel with their name on it.

abso
10-06-14, 13:41
Here's a pic of my last group of the night shooting Wolf Gold 55gr (M193 clone) at 100 yards. I was simply shooting with a bipod (no sandbags/or anything special to help beyond the bipod). The range was shutting down and I only had about two minutes to put this 10 round group on paper. I believe its about 2.3 MOA.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S0CrupL6_ts/VDLP1d299oI/AAAAAAAAGVw/hUdzONtfMOY/w1461-h822-no/20141005_190423.jpg

It is the 16" stainless steel wylde barrel (http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=115)

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I could have done a bit better had I had more time.

tostado22
10-06-14, 14:01
I recently purchase a 14.5 1/7 mid-length QPQ treated barrel.

Many mfg's incorrectly describe this surface treatment process as a "coating" which it is not. The process is basically nitriding which is done several different ways. It is also called melonite by other mfg's. but the principle is pretty much the same.

Aero does not turn the barrels themselves as I found out and wont say who does.

In any case I have found Aero to sell a very good product. Most of us are familiar with their lowers and uppers which at least for me have always been "in-spec" and very well machined so I chose to trust them when it came to getting a barrel with their name on it.

Are you happy with the barrel? I was considering one of the exact same barrels.

ewetstone
10-06-14, 14:15
I have not yet assembled the upper that this new barrel will be a part of so of course could not comment on its accuracy.

As far as the finish, I have closely inspected it and it looks great. Very nice finish inside and out. This barrel is currently on sale at Aero for 160.00. I would recommend it, yes.

tostado22
10-06-14, 14:39
That's good to hear! I was looking for a 10.5" and the only ones I could seem to find are Noveskes for $350 and DD. I've owned a few Noveske barrels and love them but that is a little out of my budget. When I saw APs barrel for $160 I was worried it might be too good to be true. I've heard several good things though and I like that they list their gas port sizes

markm
10-06-14, 14:45
That's good to hear! I was looking for a 10.5" and the only ones I could seem to find are Noveskes for $350 and DD.

That is just beyond retarded. I don't want to sound like a Noveske basher, but their product is SUREFIRE level of overpriced. You have to be nuts to pay 350 for a barrel. Shit... a bergara at $160+/- will shoot as good, if not better than any noveske I've tried.

sadmin
10-06-14, 15:30
That is just beyond retarded. I don't want to sound like a Noveske basher, but their product is SUREFIRE level of overpriced. You have to be nuts to pay 350 for a barrel. Shit... a bergara at $160+/- will shoot as good, if not better than any noveske I've tried.

Preach. Try Ballistic Advantage as well, I'm getting great results from them, they have a few different tiers of 10.5. Sionics as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LewP
10-06-14, 18:03
Here's a pic of my last group of the night shooting Wolf Gold 55gr (M193 clone) at 100 yards. I was simply shooting with a bipod (no sandbags/or anything special to help beyond the bipod). The range was shutting down and I only had about two minutes to put this 10 round group on paper. I believe its about 2.3 MOA.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S0CrupL6_ts/VDLP1d299oI/AAAAAAAAGVw/hUdzONtfMOY/w1461-h822-no/20141005_190423.jpg

It is the 16" stainless steel wylde barrel (http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=115)

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I could have done a bit better had I had more time.

That's a very typical group for most 55gr mil-spec ammo.

If you want to see what the barrel will really do I'd recommend shooting some SSA 77gr OTM/ Black Hills 77gr OTM/ (quality)77gr SMK handloads for groups.

abso
10-06-14, 20:57
That's a very typical group for most 55gr mil-spec ammo.

If you want to see what the barrel will really do I'd recommend shooting some SSA 77gr OTM/ Black Hills 77gr OTM/ (quality)77gr SMK handloads for groups.

Yeah, I know its pretty typical. I just wanted to confirm that the aero barrels aren't terrible. I have a few boxes of 69gr/77gr fiocchi SMK and I'll report back when I get a chance to shoot them. I expect the groups to be about 1 MOA like other decent quality barrels.

markm
10-06-14, 21:43
I'd say that group is pretty darn good for 55 gr m193. I bet you're easily MOA with good ammo.

ewetstone
10-06-14, 22:36
I sure as hell would not pay that much...in fact 200 is pretty much tops.

Although, recently I have been reading on some forums that people have been complaining about tight or unfinished chambers with some of the latest cheaply priced barrels (sub 140.00) being offered.

tostado22
10-07-14, 12:06
My thoughts too. Good barrels, but not $350 good.

Sadmin I couldn't find any info on BA barrels so I ended up with a Aero Precision

Junkie
10-07-14, 15:14
I have a BA 5.45 barrel that seems to work well. 14.5" midlength. Haven't had any issues with it. 3-4" groups (10rd) at 100yd on irons and I'm not a great shot.

I also have an AP barrel, 16" midlength, that I haven't shot yet. It's a nice tapered medium profile, I started a thread here asking about it not too long ago.

lahunter57
10-07-14, 17:20
Not to derail the thread, but has anyone had any experience with their BCG's? The specs checked out, and they are priced at $125. I'm thinking it would make a cost effective back up.

Junkie
10-07-14, 20:47
I got a BCG along with their complete upper. As far as I can tell it's unmarked, other than MPI on the bolt. Machining is nice on the outside, a little rough on the inside. It's staked, maybe a little more than I would. NiB seems pretty good.

For some reason now that I took it apart the firing pin retainer doesn't want to go back in.

lahunter57
10-07-14, 21:20
I got a BCG along with their complete upper. As far as I can tell it's unmarked, other than MPI on the bolt. Machining is nice on the outside, a little rough on the inside. It's staked, maybe a little more than I would. NiB seems pretty good.

For some reason now that I took it apart the firing pin retainer doesn't want to go back in.

Thanks for the report!

abso
10-11-14, 19:13
I'm pretty sure this barrel is more accurate than I am. Anyway, went out to the range again today. Just using a bipod (no sandbag/rest/etc).

55 gr wolf gold (M193 clone again)
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gTo5Af6gOuA/VDmSW5ThUUI/AAAAAAAAGcw/qsSvmWV2_bA/w1461-h822-no/20141011_132559.jpg

Fiocchi 69 gr (oops @ flyer). It started off quite well. Not sure what caused the vertical inconsistency - probably just me sucking.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GB4Vxx5-zHU/VDmSOTQHMUI/AAAAAAAAGdA/iZMikRIv53o/w1461-h822-no/20141011_132520.jpg

I tried some of my 77 gr Fiocchi but it wasn't worth showing. I'm pretty sure I just shot like shit.

Heavy Metal
10-11-14, 20:09

For M193 type ammo, that's actually very good!

veeklog
10-11-14, 22:20
I assembled a AR pistol for a friend using the 10.5" barrel. He told me it very accurate and U.S. definetly a shooter. This is coming from a guy who shoots a LOT, and has shot out than a few barrels on his personal AR's, including over 10k on his work rifle.

markm
12-16-14, 10:04
The description now reads:
Finish: QPQ corrosion resistant finish both inside and out

That's the same Melonite/Nitride finish I suppose?

Plasman
12-16-14, 11:44
The description now reads:

That's the same Melonite/Nitride finish I suppose?

Yes, and it's more descriptive than just "Melonite/Nitride" It means they're doing the full quench, polish, quench process. You can see the differences here (http://www.burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html) and here (http://www.hefusa.net/melonite_qpq.html).

markm
12-16-14, 11:48
Thanks. I wonder if these Aero barrels have addressed the barrel extension loosening issue.

dentron
12-16-14, 12:01
According to WMD its a non-issue:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?129625-Meloniting-a-new-noveske-barrel-Barrel-extention

I, however, would prefer it done before the extension is installed.

markm
12-16-14, 12:24
According to WMD its a non-issue:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?129625-Meloniting-a-new-noveske-barrel-Barrel-extention

I, however, would prefer it done before the extension is installed.

Yeah... I'm still reluctant to embrace the advice of a company who does NiB coating.

Aero Precision
12-17-14, 21:18
Yes. Our barrel extensions are installed but not torqued during QPQ. After QPQ, the barrel extensions are torqued to spec and the gas ports are drilled.

markm
12-18-14, 07:15
Yes. Our barrel extensions are installed but not torqued during QPQ. After QPQ, the barrel extensions are torqued to spec and the gas ports are drilled.

Hey. Thanks for that info. I might scoop a 10.5 up to play with as soon as the holiday madness subsides.

krichbaum
12-18-14, 09:47

Knowing that makes me like my AP 10.5" barrel more now.

markm
12-18-14, 10:21
Knowing that makes me like my AP 10.5" barrel more now.

How does yours run. According to the specs on the NON-fsb 10.5, there's a .077" gas port.

krichbaum
12-18-14, 11:06
I originally tried it with the full size gas port...IIRC a 0.078" drill bit fit it pretty close. I think I posted this observation earlier in the thread, but it seemed to function pretty closely to my 10.5" MRP like that. It seemed to be usable with most any ammo unsuppressed, but obviously not optimal with a suppressor. I did shoot it a little with my mini-4 on the full size gas port and it functioned fine though. With an 078 gas port I think an H3 or A5H3 buffer is probably a good idea whether suppressed or not.

I've had adjustable gas blocks as well as fixed port gas blocks on the barrel also, as I've been using it to experiment with limiting the gas feed and shooting mostly suppressed. I'm pretty much done experimenting for now and I'll probably end up going back to a configuration that is more likely to run unsuppressed in any condition. When I do that I'll likely put a standard gas block back on and let it rip with the 078 port. I still think 078 is maybe a bit overgassed, but I'd rather have it a little overgassed than undergassed. What I've seen lately is that combinations that I thought were tuned to run across most any conditions completely choked in cooler weather...I had no idea how much impact ambient temperature would have and I thought I had some extra safety margin with the gas feed when I really didn't.

All things considered, the gas port the barrel comes with isn't as large as some 10.5" barrels come with, and it still allows for function across varied conditions. It'll work as is but won't be optimal for everyone, which is an understandable compromise to be made on a barrel like this. I know it's larger than some people want on their 10.5" 5.56 gun, but I can't fault AP for the size they picked. Hey, it's a better size than a commercial DD MK18 barrel, I think.

markm
12-18-14, 11:13
Cool. Yeah.. I think you did mention your observations earlier, but I got too lazy to look back.

I'm trying to reconcile the .071" LMT port against this .077". I have an FN 10.5 that runs a touch on the rich side, but like you said, I'm cool with it for reliability. I've yet to pop the FSB and check the port size on that barrel.

HCrum87hc
12-18-14, 12:18
Are the barrels dimpled? Thinking about ordering one of their 300 blk complete uppers, but I can't find any word on how the gas block is secured.

krichbaum
12-18-14, 12:56
Mine wasn't dimpled so I made a dimple for one set screw.

Jim D
12-18-14, 20:44
Mine wasn't dimpled, but has been running great. I should be putting my 10.5" through some high volume fire over the next week, so I'll try to report back. To date it's been flawless with a mixture of different ammo (in small quantities).

markm
01-19-15, 09:49
My 10.5 FSB will be here tomorrow. We'll get to sling a few rounds this weekend.

Tzed250
01-19-15, 10:41
My 10.5 FSB will be here tomorrow. We'll get to sling a few rounds this weekend.

Keep us posted. I'm very interested in the 10.5 barrel.

markm
01-19-15, 10:51
No doubt about it. I'm pretty sure it's gassed close to my FN 10.5 based on internet searching. But we'll run some buffers in it and maybe shoot some groups and stuff.

jerrysimons
01-19-15, 11:56

I think I remember reading somewhere that salt residue from the slat bath can deposit between the threads of the barrel extension when treatment occurs with the barrel extension attached, later leading in corrosion. Is this a concern you have addressed or a non-issue?

Gooch_
01-19-15, 16:42
Are the barrels dimpled? Thinking about ordering one of their 300 blk complete uppers, but I can't find any word on how the gas block is secured.

I purchased a barrel gas block and gas tube from them. My barrel wasn't dimpled and the gas block was a set screw type made of steel. I can't speak to how a complete upper would come dine I didn't buy one but they made go the extra step and dimple it......

markm
01-20-15, 20:39
Got the barrel today. It looks pretty good. A few initial observations are:

1. The port is about .078"... Too rich for me, but I hope a heavy buffer can rein it in.

2. The port is obviously reamed post QPQ, but Aero already posted that fact, and

3. The taper pins are reamed a little deep into the barrel. In the pic, you can see that the pin holes are so deep into the meat of the barrel that they are enclosed. Not necessarily the end of the world, but not quite the ideal 50% of the pin diameter that would be ideal. On a 10.5 blaster, this shouldn't be a big deal. The pins come partially driven so that you can easily remove them to install your barrel nut.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/aero1_zpsdf9e65ab.jpg

Eurodriver
01-20-15, 22:02
thats interesting Mark. Thanks for sharing.

I'm surprised they are so deep, but for the price and the gas port size (.007" isn't far off) I might grab one of the FSB models

markm
01-21-15, 07:29
I put this thing in one of those $49 Bushmaster Flat tops from Brownells. Those are pretty nice uppers.

I used the delta ring and handguard cap, and it'll have a carry handle on it to get started.

hotrodder636
01-21-15, 08:23
I have been vary happy with my barrel. It is a 10.5". Didn't check the gas port with a micrometer but it runs just fine with an H2 buffer and carbine spring. I don't run the A5 stuff. Most notably, I am impressed with the accuracy and consistency.

Eurodriver
01-21-15, 08:44
I put this thing in one of those $49 Bushmaster Flat tops from Brownells. Those are pretty nice uppers.

I used the delta ring and handguard cap, and it'll have a carry handle on it to get started.

Yep. That's why I think these barrels are a good deal, it's hard to find quality, decent priced uppers pinned for an FSB anywhere especially SBR length.

Tzed250
01-22-15, 17:00

Did everything assemble correctly? FSB in alignment? I hope to be ordering this setup soon.

markm
01-23-15, 07:43
Did everything assemble correctly? FSB in alignment? I hope to be ordering this setup soon.

As far as I can tell. That bushy upper fits snug as a bug on my SBR lower. Kinda nice. I'm less than 24 hours away from zeroing and shooting it. I'll know more soon... but everything looks good so far.

markm
01-25-15, 07:38
I got to shoot the Aero 10.5 FSB yesterday. It runs really nice. I ran it on an A5 H4 buffered lower, and a standard A5 buffered lower. Not a huge perceived recoil difference between the two. The barrel cycles reasonably smooth. Not BCM 14.5 middy smooth, but that's too much to ask for a 10.5. For an unsuppressed FSB barrel, I'm happy with it's gassing.

I shot fixed carry handle irons on a 100 yard steel, and it held about a 2" group. For whatever reason, non of the SBRs shot for shit on paper yesterday when using an ACOG and another magnified optic. Our best results were with irons.

Tzed250
01-26-15, 20:23
Thanks for the feedback. I should have this setup in hand by next week. I'll report back when it happens.

markm
01-27-15, 10:34
Yeah. I was worried that I'd have buyers remorse. But I like the barrel, and I'm going to run the hell out of it.

hotrodder636
01-27-15, 17:00
Yeah. I was worried that I'd have buyers remorse. But I like the barrel, and I'm going to run the hell out of it.

Is this a markm stamp of approval on Aero barrels?:cool:

markm
01-27-15, 21:18
Is this a markm stamp of approval on Aero barrels?:cool:

I've only shot it once... maybe 150 rounds, but it seems like it'll be pretty good. Most people, however, will want to run a can on their shorty. So a smaller port would be better.

Tzed250
02-06-15, 12:17
Aero is running a special on the 10.5 w/FSB.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=123&utm_source=Retail+Customers&utm_campaign=91e90734ec-weekend-special-10.5-fsb-barrel-020615-RETAIL&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fae430ccdc-91e90734ec-182766525&mc_cid=91e90734ec&mc_eid=b6429ac654

markm
02-06-15, 12:34
That figures. :fie:

Jwknutson17
02-07-15, 08:51
I've only shot it once... maybe 150 rounds, but it seems like it'll be pretty good. Most people, however, will want to run a can on their shorty. So a smaller port would be better.

Those 14.5 and 16 car barrels with the .0635 port are looking appetizing for a chop down to 10.X"-11.X" suppressed project. Think I might give one a go. Especially if Markm likes the barrels ;)

krichbaum
02-07-15, 13:03
You guys are the experts, but I've used the MicroMoa baby govnah blocks on large port barrels with success. It won't help if you're planning to use the FSB, but if you're going to run a low profile gas block anyway, it's worth looking at. Just drill the port in the block out to the size you want. Might save some hassle and some money.

markm
02-07-15, 16:23
Those 14.5 and 16 car barrels with the .0635 port are looking appetizing for a chop down to 10.X"-11.X" suppressed project. Think I might give one a go. Especially if Markm likes the barrels ;)

I should get to shoot the 10.5 again tomorrow. It seemed to clean up nice after the first shoot though... a sign that the bore isn't a cheese grater inside..

Jwknutson17
02-14-15, 09:33
I should get to shoot the 10.5 again tomorrow. It seemed to clean up nice after the first shoot though... a sign that the bore isn't a cheese grater inside..

Get any more rounds down the pipe on that thing? More thoughts? My 14.5 carbine barrel and a 10.5 in 300 just came in yesterday. Haven't had a chance to build the uppers yet. But they sure look slick.

krichbaum
02-14-15, 12:33
I don't know if this is common knowledge at this point, but...I've said before that I suspect Ballistic Advantage is making barrels for Aero Precision. If true, it's a good thing. Anyway, here's a photo of a BA barrel beside my AP 10.5" barrel. Markings are pretty much identical in font, size, content. They both even have an 'F' stamp in front of the barrel extension, not sure what that means...anybody have any ideas?

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/hammermill290/EBR/2015-02-14%2009.00.13_zps91cl8wyh.jpg~original

JackMurph3y
03-25-15, 17:13
I don't know if this is common knowledge at this point, but...I've said before that I suspect Ballistic Advantage is making barrels for Aero Precision. If true, it's a good thing. Anyway, here's a photo of a BA barrel beside my AP 10.5" barrel. Markings are pretty much identical in font, size, content. They both even have an 'F' stamp in front of the barrel extension, not sure what that means...anybody have any ideas?

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/hammermill290/EBR/2015-02-14%2009.00.13_zps91cl8wyh.jpg~original

Hey guys, yeah I've been reading this forum for years, just don't post much at all, so forgive the lack of sophistication or any breach of etiquette on my part for not having introduced myself first or whatever, but the Aero website says something about having actually aquired Ballistic Advantage. I'm not sure how to post a link directly, but here is a copy/paste from Aero's website:

Aero Precision is pleased to announce a new partnership with Ballistic Advantage. As of December 5, 2014, Ballistic Advantage will operate as a majority owned subsidiary of Aero Precision.

This partnership is a key component to our future success and will allow us to provide competitive pricing on a premium selection of over 100 different barrels and firearm components! Our new sister company, Ballistic Advantage, will continue to operate from its facilities and maintain its brand while expanding alongside Aero Precision.