PDA

View Full Version : Any Novatac Owners out there?

philipeggo
05-20-14, 00:53
So I have a few Novatac Special Ops lights laying about. I really like them and want to mount one to a carbine project I have. However the VTAC mount I have currently doesn't really work. The body of the light is narrower than the head, which is where I THINK they took the 1" diameter measurement at. So when I try to mount the light it slides around. When I try the little reducer ring it won't fit at all. Any ideas for an adjustable mount that would fit the body of the light vs trying to clamp on to just the head? I could take the pocket clip off and mount it to the head but then that would push my light further back and I'd rather not do that.

Thanks !

cynical
05-22-14, 07:39
I think you're mostly SOL. The only mount I know of that will fit with the clip still on is the Novatac mount, if you can find one. That will also push the light farther back, which you said you don't want to do. Amazon has a couple of sellers that say they have them, the cheapest being about $84.

http://www.amazon.com/NovaTac-Quick-Release-Mount-Black/dp/B000F4K5D8

Other than that, you might try some sort of heavy-duty wrap, maybe rubber, to build up the diameter, and then a mount that attaches like a clam-shell rather than one you slide into and tighten.

What's the diameter of the narrow section you want the mount to fit? Would a mount for a Surefire E2/Scout fit?

jandbj
05-22-14, 08:25
Light sanding of the reducer ring thingy for your VTAC mount until it's a perfect fit. Rolled up sandpaper for the win!

jandbj
05-22-14, 08:29
Light sanding of the reducer ring thingy for your VTAC mount until it's a perfect fit. Rolled up sandpaper might be the solution. Otherwise, you might try wrapping the light itself with some innertube material to tighten up the fit without the adapter thingy. If nothing else, at least both are free or near free solutions.

philipeggo
05-30-14, 18:12
I would have to measure it . I know it's less than 1." but more than .80. I ended up weaving some paracord through the mount and so far it is holding fine. I may try sanding the ring down as well.

I think you're mostly SOL. The only mount I know of that will fit with the clip still on is the Novatac mount, if you can find one. That will also push the light farther back, which you said you don't want to do. Amazon has a couple of sellers that say they have them, the cheapest being about $84.

http://www.amazon.com/NovaTac-Quick-Release-Mount-Black/dp/B000F4K5D8

Other than that, you might try some sort of heavy-duty wrap, maybe rubber, to build up the diameter, and then a mount that attaches like a clam-shell rather than one you slide into and tighten.

What's the diameter of the narrow section you want the mount to fit? Would a mount for a Surefire E2/Scout fit?

philipeggo
05-30-14, 18:14
That's what i am going to end up doing. I weaved some paracord through the mount itself and it seems to be working. I'm gonna start sanding the ring later and see if that won't work better. Thanks for the help.

TF82
05-31-14, 10:39
Gorilla tape. That's what I use to keep my Surefire G2Z from falling out of one of those silly Blackhawk light holders that I'm foolishly attached to. Trim a piece and wrap it around the light body a couple of times where it will be covered until it fits. Inner tube works well and can be a better looking solution. I used that to get my Streamlight Polytac to stay secure in a VTAC mount. It worked but was a giant pain in the ass to get the light and inner tube into the mount.