PDA

View Full Version : Lower Receiver Out of Spec?

K9-Bob
06-03-08, 04:45
I have a brand new Global Tactical/Stag lower receiver that seems to be out of spec. Please take a look at the photo and see if you can help me find a solution.

Notice the ledge on the front of the magazine well. That is the bottom edge of the upper receiver. When I try to seat a magazine, the upper receiver makes contact with the front of the mag.

This keeps the magazine from being inserted far enough to lock into place.

I suspect that the front take down pin hole on the lower was not drilled properly. With both take down pins in place, the upper receiver is forced to the rear causing it to overlap the magwell.

I thought at first that the upper receiver was out of spec, but I tried 5 others with the same results. Has anyone else seen this? What would the fix be?

Could I bevel that edge to make the mag seat or should I send the lower back for replacement?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x266/k9-bob/DSCN0200.jpg

flyer
06-03-08, 07:34
Contact Denny, he seems like the kind of guy to make it right.

Soulrack223
06-03-08, 09:17
Contact Denny, he seems like the kind of guy to make it right.

+1 He is the kinda guy who'll make it right. I have 2 GT lowers that look and work great.

K9-Bob
06-03-08, 09:58
+1 He is the kinda guy who'll make it right. I have 2 GT lowers that look and work great.

I emailed Denny, but haven't gotten a reply back yet. It's a shame that I had to fully assemble the lower in order to discover this problem. I also found the magwell to be a bit tight and noticed that some of my mags wouldn't be able to drop free either. My serial number is the 6XX range.

I've build about 10 lowers in the past couple of years, but this is the first Stag lower I've built. I've very had good luck with Rock River Arms, CMMG and DPMS lowers, but so far I am not impressed with the Stag.

I wanted Denny's lower for a 6.8 build because it didn't have any caliber markings on it.

If I do send it back I will have to take it apart and then pay another FFL transfer fee. :(

BC520
06-03-08, 10:15
I have a Stag as well. Many people haven't had a problem with them, so don't sell them short based on just one bad sample. Their lowers have not been known to have issues, so see if they will make it right for you.

Also, I checked my mag well and it definitely doesn't have that lip.

Soulrack223
06-03-08, 10:22
E-mail does take a while. Just call him. I live just south of his shop, and I run up there in person. He's always busy as hell.

http://global-tactical.com/index.asp?PAGEACTION=CONTACTUS

K9-Bob
06-03-08, 11:28
E-mail does take a while. Just call him. I live just south of his shop, and I run up there in person. He's always busy as hell.

http://global-tactical.com/index.asp?PAGEACTION=CONTACTUS

I called Denny and he told me that he would replace the lower for me. He also thought that it might be out of spec, but he told me not to worry as his stuff is guaranteed forever.

The downside now is that I have to strip the lower and pay another FFL transfer fee for the replacement. :(

Renegade
06-03-08, 13:25
The downside now is that I have to strip the lower and pay another FFL transfer fee for the replacement. :(

If he is the MFG he can send the new back to you direct, unless your state law precludes that.

Iraqgunz
06-03-08, 14:48
Correct me if I am wrong, however I though that Joe citizen can send a long gun (stripped or not) via a common carrier (UPS, FEDEX, DHL) to a manufacturer if it was going for service or repair? He should also be able to do the same for you since it is already purchased and in your possession.

Iraqgunz
06-03-08, 14:59
Did some checking maybe this will assist.

Firearms shipping laws, in and of themselves, are surprisingly straightforward. According to Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the Bureau of the Treasury Department that regulates the nation's firearms trade, they boil down to this:

1) You can't mail handguns. You must send them via a private carrier, such as UPS or FedEx.

2) You can send long guns-- rifles and shotguns-- via the Postal Service or a private shipper.

3) You are required to tell the shipper that there's a gun in the package.

4) Neither you nor the shippers can label or mark the package in any way or fashion as containing a gun.

5) You can send and receive gun parts with no restrictions. As long as the parts don't add up to a complete gun (or a receiver, which in the eyes of the law is a complete gun), you can send and receive a barrel, a firing pin, grips or other components in any manner your preferences and pocketbook dictate.

6) You can send a gun to any resident of your own state, whether or not that person is a federal licensee (gun dealer, manufacturer, collector, gunsmith or importer). Outside your state, you can send the gun only to a licensee. The instate/out-of-state distinction is made, an ATF spokesman says, because: "The Treasury Department's authority in these matters is derived from the interstate commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution." If a gun doesn't move across a state line, it's not interstate commerce.

Postal Service: Handguns cannot be mailed; they must be delivered by a private shipper. You can send a long gun to any resident of your own state, but only to a federal licensee out of state. USPS recommends, but does not require, sending guns by registered mail, its most secure option. Packages cannot contain any markings that would identify the contents as a gun.

UPS: Handguns and long guns are accepted for shipment, but only for repair, replacement or customization, i.e. warranty service or gunsmithing. Handguns must be sent via Next Day Air. Long guns can still be sent via ground service. Either sender or recipient must be federally licensed; no private party to private party. All guns must be sent from a UPS Customer Counter. The Authorized Shipping Outlets found in strip malls, supermarkets and shopping centers nationwide (the pack 'n' ships) are prohibited from accepting guns because UPS interprets the federal gun laws as requiring an actual UPS employee to accept the package, and the Authorized Outlets are independently owned and operated. No guns are accepted in unstaffed drop boxes. You cannot mark or label your package as containing firearms. UPS stamps all packages "Adult Signature Required," mandating that an adult sign for the shipment.

FedEx: Handguns and long guns are accepted for shipment. All must be shipped Priority Air Overnight. FedEx has always handled guns via air because it began as an air-freight company and only added ground service two years ago, when it purchased a ground shipper. Either sender or recipient must be federally licensed; no private party to private party. Guns are accepted at any staffed office or station that handles FedEx shipments, including the independently owned and operated pack 'n' ships. Guns are not accepted in unstaffed drop boxes. Guns must not be capable of firing; you must remove the firing pin, disconnect the barrel or otherwise render the weapon inoperable. You cannot mark or label your package as containing firearms, and names readily identified with guns--Glock, Winchester, Smith & Wesson, what have you-- must be abbreviated or otherwise disguised, i.e. "G.I." for "Glock Inc." FedEx requires an adult to sign for the shipment.

K9-Bob
06-03-08, 16:49
If he is the MFG he can send the new back to you direct, unless your state law precludes that.

The lowers are actually manufactured by Stag Arms and not by Denny's Guns. He told me that he would have to ship the replacement lower to my FFL. The new lower will have a different serial number and that my FFL will have to transfer it to me on a 4473.

Shipping my old lower back to Denny is not an issue, its just the hassle of having to pay the additional FFL transfer fee in order to get the old one replaced.

C4IGrant
06-03-08, 17:32
Did some checking maybe this will assist.

Firearms shipping laws, in and of themselves, are surprisingly straightforward. According to Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the Bureau of the Treasury Department that regulates the nation's firearms trade, they boil down to this:

1) You can't mail handguns. You must send them via a private carrier, such as UPS or FedEx.

2) You can send long guns-- rifles and shotguns-- via the Postal Service or a private shipper.

3) You are required to tell the shipper that there's a gun in the package.

4) Neither you nor the shippers can label or mark the package in any way or fashion as containing a gun.

5) You can send and receive gun parts with no restrictions. As long as the parts don't add up to a complete gun (or a receiver, which in the eyes of the law is a complete gun), you can send and receive a barrel, a firing pin, grips or other components in any manner your preferences and pocketbook dictate.

6) You can send a gun to any resident of your own state, whether or not that person is a federal licensee (gun dealer, manufacturer, collector, gunsmith or importer). Outside your state, you can send the gun only to a licensee. The instate/out-of-state distinction is made, an ATF spokesman says, because: "The Treasury Department's authority in these matters is derived from the interstate commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution." If a gun doesn't move across a state line, it's not interstate commerce.

Postal Service: Handguns cannot be mailed; they must be delivered by a private shipper. You can send a long gun to any resident of your own state, but only to a federal licensee out of state. USPS recommends, but does not require, sending guns by registered mail, its most secure option. Packages cannot contain any markings that would identify the contents as a gun.

UPS: Handguns and long guns are accepted for shipment, but only for repair, replacement or customization, i.e. warranty service or gunsmithing. Handguns must be sent via Next Day Air. Long guns can still be sent via ground service. Either sender or recipient must be federally licensed; no private party to private party. All guns must be sent from a UPS Customer Counter. The Authorized Shipping Outlets found in strip malls, supermarkets and shopping centers nationwide (the pack 'n' ships) are prohibited from accepting guns because UPS interprets the federal gun laws as requiring an actual UPS employee to accept the package, and the Authorized Outlets are independently owned and operated. No guns are accepted in unstaffed drop boxes. You cannot mark or label your package as containing firearms. UPS stamps all packages "Adult Signature Required," mandating that an adult sign for the shipment.

FedEx: Handguns and long guns are accepted for shipment. All must be shipped Priority Air Overnight. FedEx has always handled guns via air because it began as an air-freight company and only added ground service two years ago, when it purchased a ground shipper. Either sender or recipient must be federally licensed; no private party to private party. Guns are accepted at any staffed office or station that handles FedEx shipments, including the independently owned and operated pack 'n' ships. Guns are not accepted in unstaffed drop boxes. Guns must not be capable of firing; you must remove the firing pin, disconnect the barrel or otherwise render the weapon inoperable. You cannot mark or label your package as containing firearms, and names readily identified with guns--Glock, Winchester, Smith & Wesson, what have you-- must be abbreviated or otherwise disguised, i.e. "G.I." for "Glock Inc." FedEx requires an adult to sign for the shipment.

I have missed the reg by ATF stating that you cannot send handguns via US Priority mail. The postal service has no issue with it. Got a link?

From what I have seen, most FFL's send HG's via US mail.

C4

C4IGrant
06-03-08, 17:33
The lowers are actually manufactured by Stag Arms and not by Denny's Guns. He told me that he would have to ship the replacement lower to my FFL. The new lower will have a different serial number and that my FFL will have to transfer it to me on a 4473.

Shipping my old lower back to Denny is not an issue, its just the hassle of having to pay the additional FFL transfer fee in order to get the old one replaced.

This is correct. The ONLY way he could send a lower directly back to you is if it had the same serial number.

C4

Renegade
06-03-08, 17:45
This is correct. The ONLY way he could send a lower directly back to you is if it had the same serial number.

C4

OP said it was a "Global Tactical/Stag lower" so I thought that meant it was a Global Tactical receiver made under variance by Stag, like a "Bushmaster/LAR lower".

Tom_Jones
06-03-08, 17:46
deleted

Renegade
06-03-08, 17:52
I have missed the reg by ATF stating that you cannot send handguns via US Priority mail. The postal service has no issue with it. Got a link?

That is because it does not exist and is usually misquoted as "handgun" when in reality the law say "pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person". And Case Law has determined a 22 inch SBS is concealable.

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 83--POSTAL SERVICE

Sec. 1715. Firearms as nonmailable; regulations

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable and shall not be deposited in or carried by the mails or delivered by any officer or employee of the Postal Service. Such articles may be conveyed in the mails, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe, for use in connection with their official duty, to officers of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps; to officers of the National Guard or Militia of a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District; to officers of the United States or of a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitments; to employees of the Postal Service; to officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States; and to watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District. Such articles also may be conveyed in the mails to manufacturers of firearms or bona fide dealers therein in customary trade shipments, including such articles for repairs or replacement of parts, from one to the other, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe. Whoever knowingly deposits for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail according to the direction thereon, or at any place to which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any pistol, revolver, or firearm declared nonmailable by this section, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

C4IGrant
06-03-08, 17:54
According the ATF FAQ a licensee may ship handguns via the U.S. Postal Service; however, an unlicensed person may not.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f14

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

Of course, the rules are more complicated than I stated above, but the FAQ lists the appropriate sections of the code and goes into the more detail.

Roger, that is kind of what I was implying (that the ATF does not say that FFL cannot ship via USPS).

C4

b_saan
06-03-08, 18:25

Buy a 2nd one and have it sent at the same time your replacement comes back, you can do up to 3 transfers per 4473 right, so it's a great excuse to build another gun! ;)

K9-Bob
06-05-08, 00:41
Buy a 2nd one and have it sent at the same time your replacement comes back, you can do up to 3 transfers per 4473 right, so it's a great excuse to build another gun! ;)

I'd just like to finish my 6.8 build. All I wanted was a non-caliber marked lower without a Pony, Snake, or Deer.;)

K9-Bob
06-13-08, 19:42
I picked up the replacement lower Denny sent to my dealer today and it was perfect.

Additional $20.00 FFL fee spent to transfer the replacement lower, not so good.:mad:

adh
06-13-08, 22:38
Additional $20.00 FFL fee spent to transfer the replacement lower, not so good.:mad:

Just curious, did you by chance aske Denny to ask Stag to cover that $20 for you.....it's definitely not your fault. If nothing else, they could comp you some parts (maybe a LPK for your build).

Can't hurt to ask.