PDA

View Full Version : My First AR-15: CORE 15 M4 Piston. A Keeper????

Father of 3
05-20-14, 19:16
Last week I picked up my first AR15. It is a CORE 15 M4 Piston model. I went in my LGS looking for a Colt and they suggested this as they did not have any Colts in stock. It was listed for $1120. I didn't know much about them but I couldn't pass up the deal and goodies the guy was offering to go with it. I ended up buying a weapon that I know nothing about the make, which is extremely rare. Can we say impulsive?

I have since been doing some research since. What I have found about CORE 15 is that they are manufactured by a company that builds Airboats, Israel Anzaldua, formerly from Bushmaster, is their VP, and they are guns built by shooters. They are built to Mil Spec or tighter tolerances, 1/7 barrel chambered in 5.56x45mm, Lifetime transferrable warranty.

Seems like a good deal and it is a gas piston system. The gas piston system is an Adams Arms system and they have a proprietary bolt that is suppose to alleviate some of the issues that can be associated (bolt tilt I think) with piston systems.

What do you guys think? Good deal for a piston rifle? Sell it and buy a Colt 9620?

Here's What I Have:

http://core15rifles.com/core15-m4-piston-rifle-100279.html

graffex
05-20-14, 19:26
I'd trade it in for a Colt, better yet a BCM middy. Associated with bushmaster means very questionable quality, I'd stay far far away. I can't understand people asking all these questions about, and or buying weapons from dubious companies of unknown quality. There are to many good companies with good reputations, excellent service, with known quality. Stick with Colt, Bcm, DD, or Noveseke. I prefer BCM but all will be guaranteed to be built properly.

C4IGrant
05-20-14, 19:39
Last week I picked up my first AR15. It is a CORE 15 M4 Piston model. I went in my LGS looking for a Colt and they suggested this as they did not have any Colts in stock. It was listed for $1120. I didn't know much about them but I couldn't pass up the deal and goodies the guy was offering to go with it. I ended up buying a weapon that I know nothing about the make, which is extremely rare. Can we say impulsive?

I have since been doing some research since. What I have found about CORE 15 is that they are manufactured by a company that builds Airboats, Israel Anzaldua, formerly from Bushmaster, is their VP, and they are guns built by shooters. They are built to Mil Spec or tighter tolerances, 1/7 barrel chambered in 5.56x45mm, Lifetime transferrable warranty.

Seems like a good deal and it is a gas piston system. The gas piston system is an Adams Arms system and they have a proprietary bolt that is suppose to alleviate some of the issues that can be associated (bolt tilt I think) with piston systems.

What do you guys think? Good deal for a piston rifle? Sell it and buy a Colt 9620?

Here's What I Have:

Oh boy. Pass. For no other reason than this. During Sandy Hook, Colt 6920's commanded $3k-$4k on auction sites!

You can pick up 6920's for below $1k (FYI).

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

C4

wildcard600
05-20-14, 19:42
sell it and get a BCM, Colt or DD. imo

LoveAR
05-20-14, 19:54
Shoot the crap out of it. Get a Colt, BCM, or Noveske when you wear it out.

:)

Arik
05-20-14, 20:08
http://link.tapatalk.com/api/click?key=a7e5ffb24b9e84f4f4f6bbd88aa4e5b8&out=http%3A%2F%2Fgrabagun.com%2Fcolt-le6920mp-od-ar15-carbine.html&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theakforum.net%2Fforums&subid=e88c32fbf8f6c3ec57be0ec573118647

Grabagun. Colt 6920LE. $850

The Core is a $500 - $600 AR

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bluto
05-20-14, 20:09
[QUOTE=Father of 3;1918307]and they are guns built by shooters. QUOTE]

I hear this a lot and can't quite figure out what exactly this means...

If someone goes to the range ONE time and shoots ONE round, that by definition makes them a shooter. Are they now qualified to manufacture a gun?

I made some toast once... guess that makes me a chef...

Caduceus
05-21-14, 04:44
http://link.tapatalk.com/api/click?key=a7e5ffb24b9e84f4f4f6bbd88aa4e5b8&out=http%3A%2F%2Fgrabagun.com%2Fcolt-le6920mp-od-ar15-carbine.html&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theakforum.net%2Fforums&subid=e88c32fbf8f6c3ec57be0ec573118647

Grabagun. Colt 6920LE. $850

The Core is a $500 - $600 AR

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This. A few weeks ago, Core was selling AR bundles: their 5.56 & .22 firles for less than your gun store listed yours at.

Its probably an OK gin, and if if works, shoot it. But its a mid level rifle, from all I've read.

kest_01
05-21-14, 06:26
If your only choices are to keep it or sell it to purchase another more reputable gun I'd say sell it. On the other hand if you can afford it, keep it and get one of the other choices already mentioned that way you've got 2 rifles. Or you could look at picking up a complete upper from a known quality manufacturer.

tgizzard
05-21-14, 06:47
Core rifles don't get much love on here. Don't feel bad about it though, my first AR was a Bushmaster carbon 15 <---- Impulse buy! After being schooled on the different levels of quality when it comes to the AR system I sold that thing and picked up a BCM middy. My humble advice, enjoy it while you have it, but I'd suggest keeping an eye out in regards to dumping it and picking up something better.

MiamiCracker
05-21-14, 07:14
My friend bought a Core15 a while back from a gun show for $800, plus a cheap RDS, pro mag mags, and VFG since he didn't know anything about AR15s. One thing that really caught my eye was the gas key staking, it was overstaked like someone hit it too hard. I wish I would have taken pics that day, and I wouldn't buy a Core product after seeing that.

KevinC
05-21-14, 07:35
You went to your LGS looking to buy a Colt and walked out the door with a CORE. And then you come on this forum looking for validation that you made a good purchase. I think you answered your own questions way before posting.

BuzzinSATX
05-21-14, 08:00
Hey, I agree with the poster who said just go out and shoot the crap out of it and see how it runs.

But I also agree you probably overpaid, so I'd hate to see you take a big hit again. But NEXT TIME, you should ask first...and avoid the reality check folks here will surely write you.

I've made gun purchase mistakes too...most here have. I now run DD's and appreciate their quality, but your rifle should hold up unless you shoot thousands of rounds weekly, so relax and go burn up a few hundred rounds.

wahoo95
05-21-14, 08:11
I would have just bought a Colt from someplace else before buying a CORE that I wasn't even looking for.....a piston at that! The rifle is fine as I know plenty of people with them, however it sits at a price point where there are simply better options. If it really bugs you then sell it and buy something else....I prefer BCM Middy over Colt. If you're not pressed just keep it and shoot it.

HeliPilot
05-21-14, 08:16
I'm gonna have to agree with the overwhelming majority here and say that you should've just kept looking for the Colt you had your sights set on. The Core may shoot but its subpar, especially when you could've had a Colt and a couple hundred rounds to shoot through it with what you paid for the Core.

Live and learn, then buy BCM.

E_Johnson
05-21-14, 08:19
I think the verdict is pretty clear, OP, but I would still go and shoot your AR as much as you can. It's still a training opportunity for you to learn the AR system, and (hopefully) now that you have your sights set on better things, you will have a point of comparison when selecting a quality carbine.

wahoo95
05-21-14, 08:21
I'd trade it in for a Colt, better yet a BCM middy. Associated with bushmaster means very questionable quality, I'd stay far far away. I can't understand people asking all these questions about, and or buying weapons from dubious companies of unknown quality. There are to many good companies with good reputations, excellent service, with known quality. Stick with Colt, Bcm, DD, or Noveseke. I prefer BCM but all will be guaranteed to be built properly.

Is it really fair to say a product is of questionable quality simply because its made by people who formerly worked for Bushmaster? I mean isn't that assuming they simply split off to create the same sub par product rather than improve on it? Are you saying you would automatically assume a former DD, Noveske, Colt, BCM employee who starts a shop is gonna put out top tier stuff by default? Not defending the CORE brand by any means, just saying that they're being made by former Bushy employee doesn't automatically make them junk. Best to make that assessment based on actual testing and experience. I see s lot of them in this area in the hands of some guys that shoot a good bit and run them pretty hard and I don't hear of any issues. My biggest problem with them is that they're typically priced at the same price point as many of the best options available so it simply makes since to buy the known rather than the newcomer.

graffex
05-21-14, 08:36
Is it really fair to say a product is of questionable quality simply because its made by people who formerly worked for Bushmaster? I mean isn't that assuming they simply split off to create the same sub par product rather than improve on it? Are you saying you would automatically assume a former DD, Noveske, Colt, BCM employee who starts a shop is gonna put out top tier stuff by default? Not defending the CORE brand by any means, just saying that they're being made by former Bushy employee doesn't automatically make them junk. Best to make that assessment based on actual testing and experience. I see s lot of them in this area in the hands of some guys that shoot a good bit and run them pretty hard and I don't hear of any issues. My biggest problem with them is that they're typically priced at the same price point as many of the best options available so it simply makes since to buy the known rather than the newcomer.

Yes. Im going to assume it is until it's proven otherwise. Way too many junk peddlers in the AR world unfortunately. The specs on their website also doesn't help build any confidence.

Sent from my Motorola StarTac using Tapatalk

WillBrink
05-21-14, 09:31

Here's What I Have:

Asking for opinions after the purchase is an exercise in futility and usually asking for support of that buying decision vs actually wanting to know if the purchase is a good idea. As you'll see, most here will advise to buy from known entities with known track records and long history of making quality GTG ARs. Why purchase it, only to ask if you should trade/sell it?

How many rdns do you normally shoot per year? What do you plan to do with this AR? What roll will it play in your life? Range plinker, competition, work, HD/SD?

JusticeM4
05-21-14, 20:28
Chances are, you'll be fine with your CORE rifle. And since you are a new shooter, this will not be your last AR.

Use it to learn how to shoot and learn the platform, then down the road buy a Colt or BCM.

Many people here always point to better and more reputable brands, but if you are a casual shooter that shoots less than 1k rounds a year, its really not an issue to not have a top-tier rifle. My first AR was a Bushmaster M4A3 (from the original Bushmaster) and it was a great rifle in my experience.

Although you did overpay, its your money, so if you are happy with the purchase then no harm done.

TexanInCali
05-21-14, 21:19
From my post count, you can correct tly infer that I'm a noob. However, knowing that I didn't know squat, I spent months reading and paying attention to the folks that seemed like they knew their stuff.

After all that, my first AR is a BCM midlength SS410 16" with a KMR. I spent a little more than the OP, but I know I got something that shoots better than I ever could and will probably last for decades.

Had I listened to my LGS, I would've paid over $1600 for a heavy ass piston Sig or $1200 for a S&W AR. I'd still take either of those over an $1100 Core 15.

RMiller
05-21-14, 21:26
I disagree.

A quality purchase is important. Especially if you even have an inkling of a thought to use it for a defensive situation. I wouldn't use anything less for the defense of my family, nor myself.

Chances are, you'll be fine with your CORE rifle. And since you are a new shooter, this will not be your last AR.

Use it to learn how to shoot and learn the platform, then down the road buy a Colt or BCM.

Many people here always point to better and more reputable brands, but if you are a casual shooter that shoots less than 1k rounds a year, its really not an issue to not have a top-tier rifle. My first AR was a Bushmaster M4A3 (from the original Bushmaster) and it was a great rifle in my experience.

Although you did overpay, its your money, so if you are happy with the purchase then no harm done.

LoveAR
05-21-14, 22:18
I made a similar mistake on my first AR purchase. I have a couple of BCMs now. Lesson learned the hard way but I will not make the same mistake again.

Berserkr556
05-21-14, 22:31

Here's What I Have:

I hate to rain on your parade but I would sell it and buy at least a Colt. I'm still a new guy here but my first AR was a Colt back in the early 1980s. I only bought Colts until BCM was born. I will admit that I purchased a S&W M&P15 Sport recently because it was $500. I'd trust that Smith over a CORE. YMMV

Hank6046
05-21-14, 22:44
I work for an LGS, we have about 7 -8 Core rifles in our shop, they'll sit on the self for a while because we don't push them like other quality brands. People always ask me Piston or DI, I say it depends on your needs, but for the most part a DI will do just fine. I've seen the articles and heard everyone tell me about how much DI guns jam but I haven't seen it myself. If you only shoot 350-500rds per year the Core will be just fine for you. If you shoot more than that and push your rifle to perform under conditions other than a lane at the range then even a piston gun might not do it for you. A gunsmith once told me that the more moving parts the more that can go wrong, I would tell you to sell your Core and find something different.

Hot Holster
05-21-14, 22:49
Well, I like my Core 15 (DI, not piston) and shoot it more than I do my LMT, my S&W, my 3 PSA's, my Spirit Arms/Spikes, but I guess I fall short because I don't own a Colt, or a BCM, or a DD so I must be doing things wrong. Oh well, can't have everything

Airhasz
05-22-14, 00:19
Well, I like my Core 15 (DI, not piston) and shoot it more than I do my LMT, my S&W, my 3 PSA's, my Spirit Arms/Spikes, but I guess I fall short because I don't own a Colt, or a BCM, or a DD so I must be doing things wrong. Oh well, can't have everything

You mean to say your Core15 has not self destructed after actually shooting live ammo through it?

Hot Holster
05-22-14, 07:39
You mean to say your Core15 has not self destructed after actually shooting live ammo through it?

Unbelievable, isn't it?

graffex
05-22-14, 08:02
I love when people try to justify buying sub standard junk.

Sent from my Motorola StarTac using Tapatalk

C4IGrant
05-22-14, 08:07

Nothing wrong with liking it.

I know we all like to think everything is all the same quality, but it isn't. For instance, are all tools the same? How bout cars? Nope, there are differences.

Quality is quality and in the bigger picture, there is re-sale value. None of the AR's you listed (less the LMT) have any kind of positive re-sale value. What this actually means, is that people do not believe that they are worth much. On the flip side, DD, BCM, Colt, Noveske, KAC, etc DO have a large re-sale value and can often times command $2-4k OVER what you paid for them!

On top of the above, the guns you mentioned (less LMT) are not built to the TDP. This means that the manufacturer follows their own standards (which loosely translates into lower quality parts, less QC and build standards).

Did you fall short? Depends. Does any of the above matter to you? If not, then no.

Enjoy your AR's.

C4

C4IGrant
05-22-14, 08:08

Most every single AR will run perfectly fine for the limited round counts most Americans put through them. On top of this, EVERY SINGLE AR runs 100% perfectly sitting in the safe or the in the back of a cruiser. ;)

C4

ncgoober
05-22-14, 09:34
Not to rub it in.....but you could have got a complete Adams Arms piston for $599

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411554498/Adams+Arms+Base+Piston+Mid+Length+556NATO+16%22+BLK+6-POS+30RD+Blem

Flankenstein
05-22-14, 10:49
Well, I kind of feel bad for this dude. But buying something then asking for confirmation that you made the right decision is pretty silly.

Father of 3
05-23-14, 07:01
Thanks everyone for your input. My intention of the post wasn't to really validate my purchase, it was just a bass ackwards way of doing it. I should have asked first before I made the purchase. I screwed up as I am sure we have all done at some point and allowed my impulse to get the best of me.

I was under the assumption that the piston system was a positive evolution from the DI system as generally when technology evolves it is an improvement. Now in some cases that isn't always true (if it ain't broke don't fix it). However I was thinking that if other reputable manufacturers such as the HK 416 and LWRC sport gas pistons that possibly the design was truly superior over the DI design hence my decision to go the piston route over the DI model. None of the LGS that are within a 50 mile radius had the Colt 6920 in stock. None of them carry BCM and only one had DD. Most carried Olympic, DPMS, Bushmaster, M&P Sport, and other very basic models or custom builds buy themselves or a "guy they know". There were other models but they were over my budget.

Oh well. I have put word out to some guys I know that buy, sell, and trade guns all the time that its up for sale and I am certain they can move it. In the meantime, I am going to shoot the piss out of it and see how it does. Once it is sold, I will order another model.

Again, thanks for the input guys.

Khackee
05-23-14, 07:24
In the meantime, I am going to shoot the piss out of it and see how it does. Once it is sold, I will order another model.

Thats the spirit.

BuzzinSATX
05-23-14, 07:42
Thanks everyone for your input. My intention of the post wasn't to really validate my purchase, it was just a bass ackwards way of doing it. I should have asked first before I made the purchase. I screwed up as I am sure we have all done at some point and allowed my impulse to get the best of me.

I was under the assumption that the piston system was a positive evolution from the DI system as generally when technology evolves it is an improvement. Now in some cases that isn't always true (if it ain't broke don't fix it). However I was thinking that if other reputable manufacturers such as the HK 416 and LWRC sport gas pistons that possibly the design was truly superior over the DI design hence my decision to go the piston route over the DI model. None of the LGS that are within a 50 mile radius had the Colt 6920 in stock. None of them carry BCM and only one had DD. Most carried Olympic, DPMS, Bushmaster, M&P Sport, and other very basic models or custom builds buy themselves or a "guy they know". There were other models but they were over my budget.

Oh well. I have put word out to some guys I know that buy, sell, and trade guns all the time that its up for sale and I am certain they can move it. In the meantime, I am going to shoot the piss out of it and see how it does. Once it is sold, I will order another model.

Unless someone offers you just about what you paid for it, I'd hold off selling until you run a few hundred rounds through it. Be sure to give it a good clean and lube, and if it runs well, keep it.

If you sell for a big loss, say $400, and you go buy a Colt 6920 for $1000, that Colt really cost you $1400.

Since you have kids, at some point, you will take the kiddos to the range and may want a second AR, so as long as this one works fine, which it should or you have Core fix it, just keep it. I believe you will be fine.

Talon167
05-23-14, 07:45
I never really understood the mentality of buy first, find out information second.

At this point I’d say keep it and run it. If you tried to sell if you’re going to eat some $ so you’d might as well get some use out of it. Get something better later if it’s something you enjoy and are planning on putting tons of rounds through.

C4IGrant
05-23-14, 08:24
I was under the assumption that the piston system was a positive evolution from the DI system as generally when technology evolves it is an improvement

It is not.

However I was thinking that if other reputable manufacturers such as the HK 416 and LWRC sport gas pistons that possibly the design was truly superior over the DI design hence my decision to go the piston route over the DI model.

The HK 416 is the BEST example of a piston in an AR. NO OTHER PISTON OPERATED AR COMES CLOSE TO THIS (and you did not buy a 416). With that said, the 416 has some issues and for most Civy's it is 100% over kill.

None of the LGS that are within a 50 mile radius had the Colt 6920 in stock. None of them carry BCM and only one had DD. Most carried Olympic, DPMS, Bushmaster, M&P Sport, and other very basic models or custom builds buy themselves or a "guy they know". There were other models but they were over my budget.

Order the gun online and have it shipped to your local dealer.

Enjoy your gun.

C4

C4IGrant
05-23-14, 08:27
I never really understood the mentality of buy first, find out information second.

At this point I’d say keep it and run it. If you tried to sell if you’re going to eat some $ so you’d might as well get some use out of it. Get something better later if it’s something you enjoy and are planning on putting tons of rounds through.

I don't either. Not everyone is into research though. Males are impulse buyers for the most part and when they see something "shiny" they have to have it right then and there. Example A is the OP looking for a 6920 and then got shown something else and bought it.

Good lesson learned for newer gun buyers. Do your research and buy what you intended to buy.

C4

Hot Holster
05-23-14, 08:29
Nothing wrong with liking it.

I know we all like to think everything is all the same quality, but it isn't. For instance, are all tools the same? How bout cars? Nope, there are differences.

Quality is quality and in the bigger picture, there is re-sale value. None of the AR's you listed (less the LMT) have any kind of positive re-sale value. What this actually means, is that people do not believe that they are worth much. On the flip side, DD, BCM, Colt, Noveske, KAC, etc DO have a large re-sale value and can often times command $2-4k OVER what you paid for them!

On top of the above, the guns you mentioned (less LMT) are not built to the TDP. This means that the manufacturer follows their own standards (which loosely translates into lower quality parts, less QC and build standards).

Did you fall short? Depends. Does any of the above matter to you? If not, then no.

Enjoy your AR's.

C4

Seriously, often times?

C4IGrant
05-23-14, 08:31
Seriously, often times?

Yes. Every time there is an election year, the Govt talks about gun control and or a large mass shooting, everyone goes into panic buying mode and the prices dramatically rise on auction sites.

C4

scooter22
05-23-14, 08:41
You got ripped off. It sucks, but you have a few options.

Personally, having some random piston gun would not be okay with me. I would sell it, and buy a 6920 or BCM.

However, as previously stated, if you're not really going to shoot it much and/or use it for HD, then it's rather irrelevant.

If you do decide to sell it, try GunBroker. If you can't get what you paid for it in the near future, wait until the election gets closer. Trust me.

fdxpilot
05-23-14, 19:56
Seriously, often times?

The man in your avatar is responsible for at least two extended periods of such pricing in the last 6 years. Is that often enough?

Berserkr556
05-24-14, 13:25

If you buy online you'll get a better price and selection. If you don't have a credit or debit card some online stores will accept a check or money order. I haven't bought anything from my local gun shops in years and I have several which are close. A good friend owns one LGS and even after he asked my advice his prices are high and he wonders why his business isn't doing so well. Most shops refuse to stock any quality ARs and when they do have a Colt it's $300. more than what I can find online. I purchase everything I need online and always get a better price. The whole piston AR thing is blown way out of proportion. There's no need for it, there's already a piston in a standard AR, what folks incorrectly call a Direct Impingement AR, it's not DI but we won't get into that right now.
Don't be discouraged just learn from the experience and move forward.

JusticeM4
05-26-14, 19:08
I disagree.

A quality purchase is important. Especially if you even have an inkling of a thought to use it for a defensive situation. I wouldn't use anything less for the defense of my family, nor myself.

Agree to disagree.

It all depends on what you will use it for and your budget. I don't need a Colt or BCM for range plinking. But for HD/SD then yes a quality rifle is a must.

As I said, this is not his last AR. My first rifle was not a name brand rifle either. You learn things along the way...

graffex
05-26-14, 21:57
Agree to disagree.

It all depends on what you will use it for and your budget. I don't need a Colt or BCM for range plinking. But for HD/SD then yes a quality rifle is a must.

As I said, this is not his last AR. My first rifle was not a name brand rifle either. You learn things along the way...

This board doesn't subscribe to "good enough". Something is either made properly or it's not. I don't buy stuff that's made cheaply, with shortcuts when known entities do so for around the same price. It's silly to try and justify it, or support it.

JusticeM4
05-26-14, 23:35
This board doesn't subscribe to "good enough". Something is either made properly or it's not. I don't buy stuff that's made cheaply, with shortcuts when known entities do so for around the same price. It's silly to try and justify it, or support it.

Whatever...:rolleyes:

If good enough isn't good enough, then I guess we should all get Colt's, BCM's, DD's etc. Forget Smith and Wesson, Ruger, etc.

You obviously think everyone needs the top of the line stuff all the time, which is may not be the case for everyone.

agr1279
05-26-14, 23:54

Do you have proof of what you are talking about. They are spending plenty on putting out quality products and are not taking any shortcuts.

Dan

Iraqgunz
05-27-14, 03:52
Plinking AR's are a waste of time and money. If you want to plink get a .22 caliber AR like the MP15-22. Using budget to justify a shitty purchase is an excuse. The fact of the matter is that people who don't do research or act impulsively as Grant stated try to make excuses for a bad purchase. If I need something locally and cannot find it, I go to the phone or computer, I search for it and order it. It's really that easy.

Agree to disagree.

C4IGrant
05-27-14, 08:34
Whatever...:rolleyes:

If good enough isn't good enough, then I guess we should all get Colt's, BCM's, DD's etc. Forget Smith and Wesson, Ruger, etc.

You obviously think everyone needs the top of the line stuff all the time, which is may not be the case for everyone.

I think it is a mindset issue. Every defensive calibered gun I buy, the thought in the back of my mind is; "Is it reliable, well made and suitable for extended hard use?"

I don't know what the future holds for this country/world (maybe you do). I prefer to buy quality so I don't have to wonder about such things. On top of this, the better name brand AR's sell MUCH better than the lower quality ones do. On top of this, what we are talking about is usually $100 dollar price difference (if that). So the question I was always ask is, why bother???

C4

NeoNeanderthal
05-27-14, 17:16
It does not do my heart good to hear of a guy walking into a store looking for a colt and walking out with a core because they threw in a bunch of "goodies". That's salesmanship at it's best and I wouldn't buy guns from them.

When you take out your Core shooting, id use the shittiest ammo i could get my hands on (Tula, Wolf ext) and run the gun with little lube. If you get a malfunction id bring it back to the store, make a stink and see if they'll give you your money back or exchange it for a colt when they get one in (paying the difference, as a 6920 should not sell for near what you paid for the core). Normally I am not a fan of this type of thing, but they got one over on you man.

NeoNeanderthal
05-27-14, 17:16
Deleted double post

ennbeegunny15
05-27-14, 21:01
Went to the store for a colt and left with a core...salesman of the month.

ennbeegunny15
05-27-14, 21:04
I think it is a mindset issue. Every defensive calibered gun I buy, the thought in the back of my mind is; "Is it reliable, well made and suitable for extended hard use?"

I don't know what the future holds for this country/world (maybe you do). I prefer to buy quality so I don't have to wonder about such things. On top of this, the better name brand AR's sell MUCH better than the lower quality ones do. On top of this, what we are talking about is usually $100 dollar price difference (if that). So the question I was always ask is, why bother???

C4

This exactly. Plinking is never a mindset for me. I go to the range with a training mindset, even when I'm testing my hand loads. But, I get it, not everyone has this mindset, that's why they buy core, del-ton's, and ptac....:rolleyes:

TexanInCali
05-27-14, 22:01
Plinking rifle or not, you might have to depend on it. My first AR is mostly a range toy, but I still want it to be quality in case I ever need it for more than fun.

agr1279
05-28-14, 08:01
It does not do my heart good to hear of a guy walking into a store looking for a colt and walking out with a core because they threw in a bunch of "goodies". That's salesmanship at it's best and I wouldn't buy guns from them.

When you take out your Core shooting, id use the shittiest ammo i could get my hands on (Tula, Wolf ext) and run the gun with little lube. If you get a malfunction id bring it back to the store, make a stink and see if they'll give you your money back or exchange it for a colt when they get one in (paying the difference, as a 6920 should not sell for near what you paid for the core). Normally I am not a fan of this type of thing, but they got one over on you man.

Wow. I guess honor and integrity means nothing here anymore. You are suggesting that the OP be dishonest and try to screw the rifle up and then take it back to the store and due to his intentional acts, make such a stink that the store gives him a Colt 6920 and the difference. Remind me never to buy anything off EE from you. But then again on the internet anyone can be an Alpha Male.

To Father of 3 if you have any questions about your rifle contact either doug@core15.com or justin@core15.com. They are aware of this thread but again the owners of this site have refused to give them advertising space. You can use the search feature at the top and see numerous posts about Core on this site and many of my replies.

Dan

Hank6046
05-28-14, 10:39
To Father of Three.
Don't be discouraged just learn from the experience and move forward. I took me 6-8months to really figure out what I wanted in an AR. I shot a lot before then and my military experience didn't give me any indication to what the civilian market was like. I ended up with a DD for my first AR and that was only after shooting a Bushmaster, Sig's, Core, and etc. Your Core might do what you ask of it, but I liken the AR debate to cars, your on a Forum dedicated to Performance Cars and your talking about your Camry in the Sport model, it might have 4 wheels and an engine, but not the same thing. Best of luck in your endeavors, I only hope this opens you up to the wonderful world of AR's.

BuzzinSATX
05-28-14, 10:57
Wow. I guess honor and integrity means nothing here anymore. You are suggesting that the OP be dishonest and try to screw the rifle up and then take it back to the store and due to his intentional acts, make such a stink that the store gives him a Colt 6920 and the difference. Remind me never to buy anything off EE from you. But then again on the internet anyone can be an Alpha Male.

To Father of 3 if you have any questions about your rifle contact either doug@core15.com or justin@core15.com. They are aware of this thread but again the owners of this site have refused to give them advertising space. You can use the search feature at the top and see numerous posts about Core on this site and many of my replies.

Dan

Totally agree with Dan here.

Also, many folks here are speaking from zero experience with Core rifles or any info about the company. Well, I've seen them shoot under range conditions, and all operated fine.

And just in case anyone wondered, below is the warranty copied and pasted from the Core-15 web site:

"The rifle you have just purchased has the simplest, most plainly written warranty you will ever read. This is no fine print. There are no exceptions. This CORE15 rifle has been manufactured and assembled with painstaking care and precision by proud US Veterans, trained by the best there is. If anything is not up to your standard, accuracy included, if anything goes wrong, gets bent, broken, cracked, misaligned, tweaked, snapped or otherwise, simply contact one of our professionals and we will work to make it right. If you are the 5th owner and the rifle has seen 40k+ rounds, it simply….doesn’t….matter. We stand behind our products and we take care of our customers. That is our promise and your assurance.”

C4IGrant
05-28-14, 11:09
Totally agree with Dan here.

Also, many folks here are speaking from zero experience with Core rifles or any info about the company. Well, I've seen them shoot under range conditions, and all operated fine.

And just in case anyone wondered, below is the warranty copied and pasted from the Core-15 web site:

"The rifle you have just purchased has the simplest, most plainly written warranty you will ever read. This is no fine print. There are no exceptions. This CORE15 rifle has been manufactured and assembled with painstaking care and precision by proud US Veterans, trained by the best there is. If anything is not up to your standard, accuracy included, if anything goes wrong, gets bent, broken, cracked, misaligned, tweaked, snapped or otherwise, simply contact one of our professionals and we will work to make it right. If you are the 5th owner and the rifle has seen 40k+ rounds, it simply….doesn’t….matter. We stand behind our products and we take care of our customers. That is our promise and your assurance.”

So y'all want to run this company out of business and put vets out of work?

Lifetime warranties are and have been a sales gimmick in this industry for as long as I can remember.

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36:are-your-products-covered-by-a-warranty&catid=7:general-questions&Itemid=2

Should we go out and buy an Oly Arms AR because of their warranty???

I don't know of anyone that wants to see Core Rifles go out of business. Good on them for making AR's, providing jobs and being supporters of 2A! With that said, there are a lot of OTHER AR manufacturers that are just like they are (Noveske, DD, BCM, KAC, etc). Does this means that they are all equals? No.

The main theme of this thread is if the CORE is the same quality as a Colt LE6920? I think the answer is pretty simple.....

C4

Iraqgunz
05-28-14, 13:20
The owners of this site have the right to determine who and what gets.advertised here. Whether you or someone else likes it is irrelevant.

We also don't need you act as a CORE rep. If you have information to pass to the OP you can simply PM him.

Dan

C-grunt
05-28-14, 16:28
A good friend of mine worked in the auto industry for a good while. Mostly in the repair side. He has a great saying about warranties.

"Some car companies have good warranties because they can. Some have good warranties because they need to."

Maddmax
05-28-14, 17:28

I agree with you 200%. But it's hard trying to explain that to some one hung up on the cost alone and has never owned more than a hand-me-down 22 or shotgun.

They'll usually come back with "I'll just pick one up that's laying around". Then I'll tell them it won't work because those will be the low end ones with the same worn out,locked up or broken parts.

Bpc9876
05-29-14, 22:15
Not to beat up on the OP at all but it seems like you are asking for justification to your odd purchase. I personally would expect you to be more involved in the thread if you really cared and wanted to learn. I drive past quite a few CORE advertising bulletins on my way to Gainesville, Florida and guess what, if I was searching for a Colt and got sold that bag of "goodies" at that price; I would be kicking myself in the arse. Who here really is going to argue with IraqGunz or even more Grant over what constitutes a quality firearm and why they command the prices that they do. I feel bad for the gentleman, he paid MORE for an okay rifle than a great rifle costs.

C4IGrant
05-30-14, 08:08
I agree with you 200%. But it's hard trying to explain that to some one hung up on the cost alone and has never owned more than a hand-me-down 22 or shotgun.

They'll usually come back with "I'll just pick one up that's laying around". Then I'll tell them it won't work because those will be the low end ones with the same worn out,locked up or broken parts.

Trust me, I know (own a gun shop in a rural area and everyone wants $600 dollar AR's).

This is where you guys come in with your friends and associates. Take the time to educate them on what is good and bad. This goes a long way.

C4

Maddmax
05-30-14, 08:27
Bottom line is,what's done is done. Most LGS's won't do returns and sales are final. No sence taking a beating trading it off and end up spending more yet (once out the door it's used). Take it out and run the living daylights outa it and see how well the manufacture backs up their product and use this as a learning experience while you're saving up and doing research on your next perchase. Don't baby it,but take care of it like you should. Don't believe all the BS some sales person feeds you. Most are out to make a sale and could care less if they ever see you again once it's made and you are out the door (their big mistake). What percent of people actually come back and buy more than one gun ???

Maddmax
05-30-14, 08:48
Trust me, I know (own a gun shop in a rural area and everyone wants $600 dollar AR's).

This is where you guys come in with your friends and associates. Take the time to educate them on what is good and bad. This goes a long way.

C4

I have 3 LGS's that love seeing me come in the door with a friend. They know I have a good sale walking in with me. :) and I never walk out empty handed either. Buy to last and it only cost a couple extra $$$ to go first class. Been working with them for years and have always been taken well care of for my efforts.

Shiz
05-30-14, 09:02
Wow. I guess honor and integrity means nothing here anymore. Making blanket statements about a whole group of people based on one person's words does not connote honor, nor integrity. It was one person's opinion. You know better than to say what you did....or do two wrongs make a right these days?

djegators
05-30-14, 09:42

C4

I've learned that when asked, I always speak what I feel is the truth...at least he who asked now has more info to go off of. Maybe he will go buy the Century refurbed DPMS for under $500 I saw recently, but at least now there is a chance he buys the Colt.

weggy
05-30-14, 09:51
Hey, I agree with the poster who said just go out and shoot the crap out of it and see how it runs.

But I also agree you probably overpaid, so I'd hate to see you take a big hit again. But NEXT TIME, you should ask first...and avoid the reality check folks here will surely write you.

I've made gun purchase mistakes too...most here have. I now run DD's and appreciate their quality, but your rifle should hold up unless you shoot thousands of rounds weekly, so relax and go burn up a few hundred rounds.
Shoot, I bought an R51 (I know, what a maroon!) Anyway, I had it 3 days, and Remington repair has had it for 3 months. If I had done the proper research I would not have this problem. Always do the RESEARCH!!!!!

agr1279
05-30-14, 14:19
Making blanket statements about a whole group of people based on one person's words does not connote honor, nor integrity. It was one person's opinion. You know better than to say what you did....or do two wrongs make a right these days?

I though long and hard before making that post. It was directed at the person that made the post advising the OP to do a dishonest act in order to get something else. The moderators have in the past advised members to go to the manufacturer before gong public with issues. The post I am refering to advised the OP to do something that goes against the rules of this forum.

Dan

Maddmax
06-01-14, 15:41
I've learned that when asked, I always speak what I feel is the truth...at least he who asked now has more info to go off of. Maybe he will go buy the Century refurbed DPMS for under $500 I saw recently, but at least now there is a chance he buys the Colt.

First question I ask back is are they buying for "looky what I got" or are they going to use it. The best teacher I have found is letting them fire a couple of mine,field strip and let them see and feel the difference. Along with letting them know they are also making an investment. It's reasonably easy finding "used" to compare with. Once they experience the difference and doing their home work it puts a whole new light on spending a few extra $$$ for better and more reliable.

JusticeM4
06-03-14, 03:36
Plinking AR's are a waste of time and money. If you want to plink get a .22 caliber AR like the MP15-22. Using budget to justify a shitty purchase is an excuse. The fact of the matter is that people who don't do research or act impulsively as Grant stated try to make excuses for a bad purchase. If I need something locally and cannot find it, I go to the phone or computer, I search for it and order it. It's really that easy.

C4

While I undestand and agree to most of your points, what I'm saying is that a mid-tier company making AR products can be sufficient for the casual shooter. Smith and Wesson for example. While not top of the line like BCM, DD, or Colt, a S&W rifle will probably work just fine for the new shooter who shoots less than 100rds a month.

Budget constraints is a real issue also for some. If you feel that everyone should buy a $1k + rifle, I don't disagree with you. But it is a fact that not everyone who wants a brand name rifle can afford one. People have bills to pay, kids to feed, etc. But I digress...

I point everyone that asks me what AR to buy a Colt6920 at minimum. But I cannot dictate what their budget will allow them to buy. If all they can afford is a S&W, I won't look down on them for that.

Feel free if you must.

Iraqgunz
06-03-14, 04:13
Bullshit. You say budget is an issue. Right now Colt carbines can be had for less than 900.00. Even when that wasn't the case, please explain to me in a rationale manner why someone has to have it right this second. Why can't they wait for a couple of months? Why couldn't they buy a completed lower and then an upper a few months later?

If they can't save the money then they don't need an AR. AR's aren't going to feed themselves, they need mags and ammo. So that means they won't be able to afford that and they won't shoot it.

While I undestand and agree to most of your points, what I'm saying is that a mid-tier company making AR products can be sufficient for the casual shooter. Smith and Wesson for example. While not top of the line like BCM, DD, or Colt, a S&W rifle will probably work just fine for the new shooter who shoots less than 100rds a month.

Budget constraints is a real issue also for some. If you feel that everyone should buy a $1k + rifle, I don't disagree with you. But it is a fact that not everyone who wants a brand name rifle can afford one. People have bills to pay, kids to feed, etc. But I digress...

I point everyone that asks me what AR to buy a Colt6920 at minimum. But I cannot dictate what their budget will allow them to buy. If all they can afford is a S&W, I won't look down on them for that.

Feel free if you must.

JusticeM4
06-03-14, 04:24
Bullshit. You say budget is an issue. Right now Colt carbines can be had for less than 900.00. Even when that wasn't the case, please explain to me in a rationale manner why someone has to have it right this second. Why can't they wait for a couple of months? Why couldn't they buy a completed lower and then an upper a few months later?

If they can't save the money then they don't need an AR. AR's aren't going to feed themselves, they need mags and ammo. So that means they won't be able to afford that and they won't shoot it.

Call BS if you want.

I'm not arguing with you here, just stating an opinion. I know people who can barely afford a quality pistol under $500; i'm not sure if those same people can afford a $900+ rifle. A $550 M&P Sport might work just fine for them.

Again, if someone can wait and save up for a Colt/BCM etc, I'm all for that. I get your point. It just seems that you miss mine. I know 2 good friends who want to buy their first AR15 and don't even have $600 to buy one even if they saved up for a few months. I'd give them the extra money/ammo/mags if I could, but I simply don't have that disposable income to spare. Not that these guys can't save, there are simply limits to their budget and what they can afford. (One of them just had a newborn baby and his wife does not work)
But this is somewhat on a tangent.

Back on topic...

C4IGrant
06-03-14, 08:13

First let me say that I honestly don't care what people do with their money. If you love S&W products, buy their AR. Second, all that I am interested in is if people get some quality training with said gun.

So is "good enough" actually good enough? It all depends on the person and what they value.

So let's talk about budgets. The Core-15 M4 has no rear sight and is listed at $899 on their website. A Colt LE6920 (with a rear sight) can be had in the low $900 range.

When the "Mid Tier" (to use your terms) AR's are that close to the "Top Tier" AR, why bother??

Feel free if you must.

The S&W line of AR's is excellent. They do a lot of things well and IMHO, the SPORT is the BEST valued AR on the planet. So anyone that is on a REAL budget (not just a cheap bastard) should really only look at this gun.

C4

justin_247
06-03-14, 11:52
Call BS if you want.

I'm not arguing with you here, just stating an opinion. I know people who can barely afford a quality pistol under $500; i'm not sure if those same people can afford a $900+ rifle. A $550 M&P Sport might work just fine for them.

The M&P Sport is a great rifle. I don't know anybody on this board who has dissed it. Heck, S&W builds a good gun and receives recommendations from various folks on this site, especially in the past. S&W has come a long ways from when they first started building ARs.

That being said, Colts are dirt cheap right now. I seriously doubt you can find a S&W rifle, other than the Sport, for much cheaper than you can find a Colt 6720/6920 online.

Also, if somebody can't afford a good AR, why must they have an AR? If they can't feed the beast, there is no point in having one. I suggest that such folks invest in a Savage bolt action rifle and a Bushnell scope... sure, it might not look as cool at the range, but it would be seriously impressive for somebody to show up with a rifle, shoot a few dozen rounds with very tight groups at a few hundred yards (if the range is long enough) and then pack up and go on their way.

Who is going to cause more damage in a "SHTF" situation? A few hundred amateurs with ARs who have shot a few hundred rounds out of their ARs because they couldn't afford the ammo, or a few hundred folks well versed in bolt action rifles shooting single, well-aimed shots at several hundred yards?

bushmaster4162
06-04-14, 18:26
should of bought a colt le6920, take your core15 to a carbIne class.& see how It performs, I have 2 colt ar15's and couldnt be happIer.=Father of 3;1918307]Last week I picked up my first AR15. It is a CORE 15 M4 Piston model. I went in my LGS looking for a Colt and they suggested this as they did not have any Colts in stock. It was listed for $1120. I didn't know much about them but I couldn't pass up the deal and goodies the guy was offering to go with it. I ended up buying a weapon that I know nothing about the make, which is extremely rare. Can we say impulsive?

Here's What I Have:

http://core15rifles.com/core15-m4-piston-rifle-100279.html[/QUOTE]

graffex
06-04-14, 18:28
This thread needs to get nuked...

RMiller
06-04-14, 18:44
This thread needs to get nuked...

Sounds about right to me.

JusticeM4
06-07-14, 08:46
The M&P Sport is a great rifle. I don't know anybody on this board who has dissed it. Heck, S&W builds a good gun and receives recommendations from various folks on this site, especially in the past. S&W has come a long ways from when they first started building ARs.

That being said, Colts are dirt cheap right now. I seriously doubt you can find a S&W rifle, other than the Sport, for much cheaper than you can find a Colt 6720/6920 online.

Also, if somebody can't afford a good AR, why must they have an AR? If they can't feed the beast, there is no point in having one. I suggest that such folks invest in a Savage bolt action rifle and a Bushnell scope... sure, it might not look as cool at the range, but it would be seriously impressive for somebody to show up with a rifle, shoot a few dozen rounds with very tight groups at a few hundred yards (if the range is long enough) and then pack up and go on their way.

Who is going to cause more damage in a "SHTF" situation? A few hundred amateurs with ARs who have shot a few hundred rounds out of their ARs because they couldn't afford the ammo, or a few hundred folks well versed in bolt action rifles shooting single, well-aimed shots at several hundred yards?

The reason for wanting/needing and buying an AR is not for us to decide. We can only point them in the right direction; lead the horse to water but cannot force them to drink.

Most civilian shooters here probably get more practice than ur average LEO. Some Cops don't even have rifles unless they are issued one. In a shtf event, it would benefit everyone to have one over a pistol or shotgun only.

I encourage everyone that wants a long gun to get an AR, preferably the 6920. But if they can't afford it, a Sport would still be a decent alternative.

Parting question: why aren't all soldiers issued bolt action rifles instead of M4/ M16's????

justin_247
06-07-14, 12:18
The reason for wanting/needing and buying an AR is not for us to decide. We can only point them in the right direction; lead the horse to water but cannot force them to drink.

Most civilian shooters here probably get more practice than ur average LEO. Some Cops don't even have rifles unless they are issued one. In a shtf event, it would benefit everyone to have one over a pistol or shotgun only.

I encourage everyone that wants a long gun to get an AR, preferably the 6920. But if they can't afford it, a Sport would still be a decent alternative.

Parting question: why aren't all soldiers issued bolt action rifles instead of M4/ M16's????

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on pretty much everything here.

Maddmax
06-07-14, 15:23

History 101... They were in WW1 and some of early WW2. Might have been the French Generals that started it. Germans had them too. It was NOT to waist ammo and to have better aim.

...You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him take a bath.:jester:

Dave_M
06-07-14, 19:18
At the basic level, the price difference between mediocre and top quality AR is less than a single case of ammunition. Compared to ammunition consumed in the life of a rifle the difference of a couple hundred dollars is negligible.

The time to ask about the quality of a rifle is prior to purchasing.

Regarding piston guns, a big 'mehhh' all around. Marketing is grand, no?

Iraqgunz
06-07-14, 23:58
Many agencies across the country are allowing officers to purchase and use their own AR's. In addition some agencies mandate even more training with the rifle than they do with the handgun.

Again, your logic makes no sense. I would rather see someone armed with a reliable handgun or a reliable shotgun over some substandard piece of trash AR. YMMV.

Kalash9305
06-08-14, 01:44
Budget is a big issue to a lot of regular folk out there who only want a rifle that will go bang every time and be reasonably accurate without stressing finances.
Many who are working long hours will not have the time or the money to attend a carbine class or shoot as often as they would like.
Spending $500 or more on a gun when rent, food and kids clothes are priorities is a major purchase. We gun enthusiasts can lose sight of that a bit when we're discussing the finer points of such weapons systems.
Now when it comes to price point and quality the OP got jobbed no question but not because what he purchased was of low quality. It was because if he did his homework he would have known that there were indeed higher quality options available for the amount of money he spent. Hell forget about an AR with $1100 you can get a Russian/Bulgarian AK in 7.62 or 5.45 that will run like a top with competitive accuracy and much more affordable ammo.
It is all in what you're looking for.
We are fortunate here in the States to have many intermediate range AR manufacturers. Perhaps they would not stand up to the rigorous standards of some but they certainly make it more affordable and possible for the average schlub who just wants a decent weapon to shoot when he can and to defend himself or his family if needed.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
The AR is a fine weapons system but it is also a ubiquitous one and just like people they come in many shapes and sizes.
As Kenny Rogers put it ... there's someone for everyone.

K_K
06-08-14, 02:44
The only Core AR I would buy would be a registered class III machine gun. Keep it or sell it but eventually I would get a bcm or colt.

Spiffums
06-08-14, 04:07
Oh boy. Pass. For no other reason than this. During Sandy Hook, Colt 6920's commanded $3k-$4k on auction sites!

You can pick up 6920's for below $1k (FYI).

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

C4

But Bushy's were going for a pretty penny too, of course not for the same reasons.