PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 Memorial Gift Shop...

WillBrink
05-21-14, 09:58
Supposedly the sales from the gift shop are to help support the 65 million dollar per year operating costs.

(CNN) -- A gift shop set to open to the public on Wednesday at the 9/11 Memorial Museum has sparked controversy among some victims' families.

Among the items sold: hats emblazoned with the FDNY symbol, search and rescue stuffed-dog animals and a slew of books relating to the attack and building of the memorial.

Organizers of the museum acknowledge that the cost of operation, about $65 million yearly, will require the support of revenue generated from the gift shop, and the museum's admission fees, with $24 for an adult. It will also help maintain the free admission to the museum's outside memorial.

"To provide an opportunity to buy a keepsake and have those proceeds support this open and free memorial is something I would do seven days a week," said Joe Daniels, president of the National September 11 Memorial Museum.

He says the gift shop is situated in a "respectful space" in the museum and notes that the No. 1 sellers so far are the DVDs and books they sell that educate the public about the history behind the events of September 11.

But some in the 9/11 community are bristling at the idea of monetizing their families' final resting places.

"I think it's a revenue-generating tourist attraction," Jim Riches said of the museum. Riches, who is retired from the New York City Fire Department, lost his son, a firefighter, in the attacks.

"Basically, they're making money off of my son's dead body. I think that's disgusting," Riches said.

Also at issue? The roughly 8,000 unidentified human remains that will be housed in the museum. Riches likens the accompanying admission fee to "charging people to get into a cemetery."

"Let's bring the remains up to a respectable location ... above ground with an eternal light. Everybody can visit them, you won't pay $24 to get in there," he said.

But Lee Ielpi, a member of the museum's board of directors who lost his son Jonathan, a firefighter, in the attack, hopes that the revenue generated will help maintain the museum.

"We have an obligation to society ... 20 years from now, we need to make sure the people that step foot on this plaza know where they're stepping and when they go into the entrance and go into the museum, they need to know what they're going to see there," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/19/us/9-11-memorial-museum-gift-shop/index.html?c=us&page=1

montanadave
05-21-14, 10:11
The museum is separate from the memorial, yes? No way to satisfy everyone, particularly when it involves such an emotionally and politically charged event. I don't have a problem with it and if it provides revenue to support the museum and maintain the exhibits, so much the better.

WillBrink
05-21-14, 10:22
The museum is separate from the memorial, yes? No way to satisfy everyone, particularly when it involves such an emotionally and politically charged event. I don't have a problem with it and if it provides revenue to support the museum and maintain the exhibits, so much the better.

I'm on the fence on that one and can see how it might not sit well with some. Where the $$$ actually goes and what's sold in the gift shop is one factor to consider that requires more intel. It's also a private venture supposedly, which is another interesting factor to all that.

montanadave
05-21-14, 10:33
I have a sweatshirt I bought from the gift shop at Pearl Harbor. It certainly didn't detract from the solemnity surrounding the Arizona memorial. I don't see much of a distinction.

Airhasz
05-21-14, 12:55
While driving through Alaska I stopped to check out the oil pipeline...next to the huge pipe...you guessed it..a gift shop. I laughed my ass off. Nowhere is safe from vultures circling your wallet.

SteyrAUG
05-21-14, 13:47
While somewhat tacky, hopefully there isn't a gift shop next to Arlington, I can understand the realities of the situation. And so long as they aren't trying to sell books about how Islam had nothing to do with it or something along those lines, I don't see the value in creating a controversy at the site.

Moose-Knuckle
05-21-14, 16:17
'Merica!

Onyx Z
05-21-14, 17:55
I read something about this just the other day. I thought a gift shop was a little disrespectful with an entrance fee on top of that.

IMO, the best solution that would likely please both sides is to make the museum free and keep the gift shop open. Offer online tickets in advance for given time slots for the museum.

MountainRaven
05-21-14, 22:14
I have a sweatshirt I bought from the gift shop at Pearl Harbor. It certainly didn't detract from the solemnity surrounding the Arizona memorial. I don't see much of a distinction.

This.

I went there as a kid and got a plastic model of the USS Arizona.

Onyx Z
05-21-14, 22:24

A lot more time has passed since December 7, 1941 than September 11, 2001... I'm sure 9/11 is still fresh for the family's of those who were lost.

halmbarte
05-21-14, 22:25
This.

I went there as a kid and got a plastic model of the USS Arizona.

Was it made in Japan?

H

MountainRaven
05-21-14, 22:41
Was it made in Japan?

H

Ha!

I'll check next time I stop by my parents' house. I'm pretty sure they still have it, box and all.

SOW_0331
05-21-14, 22:47
A lot more time has passed since December 7, 1941 than September 11, 2001... I'm sure 9/11 is still fresh for the family's of those who were lost.

It's been almost thirteen years. Kids starting high school this fall won't have been born when the attacks took place, and most of the 18-21 yr old demographic don't have much memory of the day.

Unlike the 9/11 Memorial, PH is also part of a large military installation, with additional upkeep funds provided by tax dollars.

I don't see it as disrespectful if the museum is done right. I recently attended a ceremony in Quantico at the Marine Corps Museum, where our colors were turned over to be made part of the GWOT exhibit. It was tastefully done, the curators were respectful of the importance it had to us. After spending the day there, I feel they will be teaching future generations with our sacrifice, not making a buck off it. On the way to get rip roaring drunk with the guys after, the wife and I stopped in the gift shop. Seeing the level of care that went into the museum, the dedication to respectful representation, I was happy to spend some money on a bunch of moto crap I'll probably never take out of the box. I would be more upset to see it shut down due to budget cuts.

There are certainly ways this could be a move to line some pockets or capitalize on a horrific event. None of what the article describes seems to be either of those.