PDA

View Full Version : Cutting G17 Grip To Take G26 Mags?

okie john
05-21-14, 14:30
I've seen pictures of this.

I have a G17 that's been cut to take G19 mags. It conceals better than a G17 but not as well as it might, so I'm considering taking it to the next level.

Has anyone done this? How did it go?

Thanks,

Okie John

12thman
05-21-14, 14:55
Do it to a G19, chopped G19 to accept G26 mags imo is ideal, but don't cut your G17 grip down any further as it will be too front heavy.

Flankenstein
05-21-14, 15:56
^ Do not do it to your 17.

ptmccain
05-21-14, 16:01
Just curious, why would you want to run a G17 with a chopped grip?

My preference is to add mag extenders to my G26 magazines instead, kind of the opposite of what you have in mind here.

12thman
05-21-14, 16:17

My preference is to add mag extenders to my G26 magazines instead, kind of the opposite of what you have in mind here.

adding extenders to G26 mags defeats the intended purpose of better concealment. but the theme is with longer slide is better recoil managment and longer sight radius while having the grip that doesn't print....also i believe a longer slide will shift less inside the waistband when your moving around everyday.

Scrubber3
05-21-14, 16:28
Why not just to buy a 26 if you want a 9mm glock that can hold all glock 9mm mags?

Scrubber3
05-21-14, 16:30
adding extenders to G26 mags defeats the intended purpose of better concealment. but the theme is with longer slide is better recoil managment and longer sight radius while having the grip that doesn't print....also i believe a longer slide will shift less inside the waistband when your moving around everyday.

I agree with you 100% adding grip extenders to G26 mags makes the grip length on par with a 19; why not just have a 19?

trinydex
05-21-14, 16:31
Why not just to buy a 26 if you want a 9mm glock that can hold all glock 9mm mags?

sight radius, reliability, firearm weight, slide speed.

Scrubber3
05-21-14, 16:37
How is a 17 more reliable than a 26? Slight speed??? Wha? Wieght? You want to carry something heavier? Sight radius... Okay I get that a tiny bit.. There is no clear advantage in everyday CCW or duty to have a 17 chopped down to 26 instead of just having a 26... If anything, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage by cutting a grip down on a pistol with a longer slide. Just my humble opinion..

ptmccain
05-21-14, 16:43
I actually prefer to carry my G26 with a 50 round drum mag.

I do get the occasional odd look as I conceal carry it.

I just explain my colostomy bag needs emptying. People back away quickly.

ptmccain
05-21-14, 16:44

Hasn't been a problem for me, but hey, it's a Glock-Brand Glock, so....have at it.

trinydex
05-21-14, 16:48
How is a 17 more reliable than a 26? Slight speed??? Wha? Wieght? You want to carry something heavier? Sight radius... Okay I get that a tiny bit.. There is no clear advantage in everyday CCW or duty to have a 17 chopped down to 26 instead of just having a 26... If anything, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage by cutting a grip down on a pistol with a longer slide. Just my humble opinion..

the g17 is the most reliable glock model. it outclasses its sister models. it's the original and it was overbuilt per its original design. everything else since is somewhat of a comprimise. i believe the stress testing that agencies do for procurement has born this out. however you're acting quite incredulous. what information are you basing your incredulity on?

i meant to type slide speed. the 17 has the heaviest slide, i believe the g34 has cutouts to match the 17 weight. slide speed matters for recoil management and reliability.

i carry a g26 everyday. i can tell you 100% that i would rather carry a chopped 17. i guess i'm basing my opinion on your opinion that there's no clear advantages.

12thman
05-21-14, 16:52
Hasn't been a problem for me, but hey, it's a Glock-Brand Glock, so....have at it.
Just Like Scrubber3 said, why not just carry a G19 then? FLUSH baseplates FTW lol

Scrubber3
05-21-14, 16:54
the g17 is the most reliable glock model. it outclasses its sister models. it's the original and it was overbuilt per its original design. everything else since is somewhat of a comprimise. i believe the stress testing that agencies do for procurement has born this out. however you're acting quite incredulous. what information are you basing your incredulity on?

i meant to type slide speed. the 17 has the heaviest slide, i believe the g34 has cutouts to match the 17 weight. slide speed matters for recoil management and reliability.

i carry a g26 everyday. i can tell you 100% that i would rather carry a chopped 17. i guess i'm basing my opinion on your opinion that there's no clear advantages.

I still fail to see your point at all, but hey, it's your pistol... Have at it. I'd love to see it when your done though. It'll surely be a conversation piece.

Kain
05-21-14, 16:55
To the OP, I personally wouldn't, if I was going to go that short I'd either do a 19, or just get a 26, unless you have other reasoning, such as lack of cash for a second Glock, but to be honest, the amount you are going to put into the 17 you could with a little more buy another. Am not going to bitch about about your desire to do so since while not my personal thing, it is a far cry from some of the worst Glock carry guns I have seen, like the guy who had the "ULTIMATE!" glock carry gun, a Glock 27, with a glock 19 threaded barrel, the slide polished to a mirror shine, lightening holes drilled in the slide, some dipshit rear plate, and every thing that could be done to the internals that could be done. I think they still had the stock sights too :jester: After that one, and one that was posted on gunbroker for I think like 2K that looked like it was literally run over with a truck and had the trigger guard and trigger safety removed and billed as an "operator's" pistol, I don't question to many Glock mods. If you do end up chopping the gun once more do post pics. Would be interested to see it and hear thoughts.

I actually prefer to carry my G26 with a 50 round drum mag.

I do get the occasional odd look as I conceal carry it.

I just explain my colostomy bag needs emptying. People back away quickly.

You need the 100 round double drum to really make that work. 50 rounds is so passe. :jester:
http://www.betaco.com/cmag_product_details.asp?product=25

Corey08Cummins
05-21-14, 21:25
g19/23 to g26/27 mags= amazing

Tiny Killer Robot
05-22-14, 07:54

Slide speed is a function of weight of the recoil spring/slide weight/ammo combination. If the spring is too heavy or an efficient compensator is being used the slide runs slower and runs the risk of short stroking. If the spring is too light, the slide moves too fast and felt recoil and muzzle flip will increase. Glock has engineered recoil spring weights to the various models, so reliability is not an issue. Unless you are adding an aftermarket barrel/compensator or using really hot loads, the factory spring will be fine.
I can understand the desire for a longer barrel/slide with a more compact grip for added sight radius/accuracy, but as stated above I think the 19 length would be a better fit. You seem concerned with recoil, and in my opinion the really short grip (G26 length) exacerbates recoil control problems. To the OP, it's your gun, so do as you please, but personally I would either carry a G19, cut a G17 to 19 grip length, or if that is still too big, cut a 19 to 26 grip length. Everything is a compromise and unless you are carrying a full size/weight pistol you are going to sacrifice some ease of use for concealability.

Stengun
05-22-14, 10:47
Howdy,

Why not use a Lone Wolf slide and build a long slide G26?

That's what I would do.

Actually it would be in a more manly caliber like a .40S&W, 10mm or .45Super but that's just me.

Paul

okie john
05-22-14, 11:36
the g17 is the most reliable glock model. it outclasses its sister models. it's the original and it was overbuilt per its original design. everything else since is somewhat of a comprimise. i believe the stress testing that agencies do for procurement has born this out.

This, plus I already have the G17. I've cut it to take G19 mags and find it superior to the uncut G17 in every way except for two rounds of magazine capacity. But it prints a little more than a G26 might, so I'm willing to cut it a little more.

Over the last couple of years, I've put about 1k rounds through a G26 and about 12k rounds through G19s. I prefer the G17, especially since I cut it to take G19 mags. This gun conceals better than a stock G19 in an IWB holster because the longer slide helps lever the grip toward my body. I've also heard from a number of reputable trainers that their students regularly score about 10% better with the G17 than they do with the G19, so I want to stay with the G17 as the base gun.

But I'm still looking for an opinion from someone who has actually spent some serious time shooting and carrying a G17 cut to take G26 magazines.

Okie John

markm
05-22-14, 13:10
I'm moving this thread to TOS where it will shine like a diamond in a goat's hind den.

Stengun
05-22-14, 16:41
Howdy John,

But I'm still looking for an opinion from someone who has actually spent some serious time shooting and carrying a G17 cut to take G26 magazines.

Okie John

Probably ain't gonna happen.

Paul

okie john
05-22-14, 16:47
Probably ain't gonna happen.

I think you're right. I may have to do it myself.

Okie John

fixit69
05-22-14, 17:19
Didn't voodoo man cut a 17? Or was it a 19? My search-fu is not doing me justice, but I remeber him cutting one or the other.

okie john
05-22-14, 17:26
Didn't voodoo man cut a 17? Or was it a 19? My search-fu is not doing me justice, but I remeber him cutting one or the other.

I've seen pictures of a couple of them. Maybe it was on a different forum....

Okie John

Will545
05-22-14, 18:18
Type "glock 17 cut grip" in google image search and you will see some.

terry40cal
05-22-14, 19:37
Don't mess up a good G17 I run a vanguard 2 works good for in Appendix carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJLman
05-22-14, 19:57
I'm moving this thread to TOS where it will shine like a diamond in a goat's hind den.

Boom! Classic m4 humor

OP.... Don't do it. Cutting a 17 down to achieve "recoil management" over a 19 just sounds ridiculous. Sight radius I get (I guess) but playing the odds/statistics you aren't likely going to need a great deal of sight radius in a defensive encounter.

Texaspoff
05-22-14, 20:02
I have done a few G17 chopped to 26 lengths. I took one out to the range and ran it a bit just for kicks. I personally don't like the balance of them. Recoil was fine, but always felt nose heavy. Other than conceal-ability of the grip, there is really no benefit IMO. I have no issues making long shots with 19 sized pistols, and I prefer a shorter barrels anyway.

I do not have any pictures of those that I did, didn't have that much time with them. I do however like the 19/23 cut down to 26/27 dimensions, and do have a few pics of some that I have done.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0462-1.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0693.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0696.jpg

TXPO

weggy
05-22-14, 20:04

Geez, it's your gun, just do it!:cool:

t15
05-22-14, 20:04
if youre going to cut it, go to a 19 not 26

VIP3R 237
05-22-14, 20:23
I like those. And damn I wish my stripping was even half as good as yours. Do you have a measurement for cutting a 17 down to a 19?

I have done a few G17 chopped to 26 lengths. I took one out to the range and ran it a bit just for kicks. I personally don't like the balance of them. Recoil was fine, but always felt nose heavy. Other than conceal-ability of the grip, there is really no benefit IMO. I have no issues making long shots with 19 sized pistols, and I prefer a shorter barrels anyway.

I do not have any pictures of those that I did, didn't have that much time with them. I do however like the 19/23 cut down to 26/27 dimensions, and do have a few pics of some that I have done.

TXPO

wildcard600
05-22-14, 20:27
Type "glock 17 cut grip" in google image search and you will see some.

Yeah, and there is some high quality work being showcased as well -

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Glock-17-To-26-Grip-Conversion-Fail.jpg

MJLman
05-22-14, 20:33
This is all I keep thinking....

Texaspoff
05-22-14, 22:56
I like those. And damn I wish my stripping was even half as good as yours. Do you have a measurement for cutting a 17 down to a 19?

I have a template I made for doing the chops. The finishing is done by hand to make sure everything lines up and the mag well is finished out.

TXPO

Up1911fan
05-22-14, 22:59

TXPO

Good work Lane! Can't wait to get my G17 chopped to 19 back from you. I'm sure I've got a long wait left, bit of will be worth it.

MegademiC
05-23-14, 05:37
There was a thread a while ago about 17 vs 19. Many people shoot the 19 better, supposedly due to the slide speed, but the differences were extremely small.. I think you will see zero advantage chopping a 17 vs a 19. More wt, worse balance, longer slide is less comfortable/harder to conceal.

Either way, I'm curious to see how you end up liking it.

Trajan
05-23-14, 07:56
There was a thread a while ago about 17 vs 19. Many people shoot the 19 better, supposedly due to the slide speed, but the differences were extremely small.. I think you will see zero advantage chopping a 17 vs a 19. More wt, worse balance, longer slide is less comfortable/harder to conceal.

Either way, I'm curious to see how you end up liking it.

It's actually different for different people. No idea why. Some shoot a 17 better, some the 19, some the 34.

19s cut to a 26 grip are really cool. I only have about 50 rounds through one, but I really liked it.

Smash
05-23-14, 08:19
Pincus tried his hand at a chop.

unsuccessfully...

JHC
05-23-14, 14:27
Okie,
My experience with the 26 is so good that I'd not be inclined to chop a 17. But you still have the issue of stability which some have issues with. I do not have that issue with a 26 and the holsters I use (VG2 or FIST #1K). Related is Hilton Yam's piece on the rather small advantage of sight radius. http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=8168

soldier_twiggy
05-23-14, 14:59
Okie,
Just cut your 17 grip down to a 19...I think the other 6 guys who didn't read your OP are right! ;)

I've seen a 17 cut to a 26...looked goofy as 2 fish f***ing, but the owner said it felt like shooting a 17 and it hid better. It'll definitely be nose heavy, but if you use your man hands I think you'll be able to overcome that issue. :) You're also spot on with the longer slide pushing the grip tighter to the body.

I like my 17 with 19 length grip, but I have debated going all the way down to the 26...just can't bring myself to do it. Think I'd rather do a 19 cut to a 26...but that's just my opinion.

essayons

bighawk
05-24-14, 20:18
I've handled one however have not actually shot it.. It was too nose heavy for my liking. I watched the owner put several hundred rounds through it with no issues. But its your gun so if its what works for you then give it a shot.

teutonicpolymer
05-26-14, 03:56
I think 19 length is reasonable and a good compromise between grip and concealability

I would like to do one some day. I just love the idea of the ones cut to take 19 mags yet still retain that lip of frame material behind the mag

titsonritz
06-01-14, 17:38

I agree with you 100% adding grip extenders to G26 mags makes the grip length on par with a 19; why not just have a 19?

I find the +0 grip extensions long enough to get a full grip but shorter & more concealable than a G19 mag or G26 mag w/ +2 extension. As shown in Texaspoff's photo:

PO

trinydex
06-01-14, 18:00
Geez, it's your gun, just do it!:cool:

I have a 19 grip on a 17.

TXPO

Boom! Classic m4 humor

OP.... Don't do it. Cutting a 17 down to achieve "recoil management" over a 19 just sounds ridiculous. Sight radius I get (I guess) but playing the odds/statistics you aren't likely going to need a great deal of sight radius in a defensive encounter.

my 17 with a 19 grip is a little nose heavy, however that hasn't changed how well I shoot it. similarly, the performance difference between a 17 and a 19 is not that big.

I still stand by the fact that the 17 is the most reliable version of the 9mm glock.

would I personally do a conversion to 26 length? no. I don't even like my 26, but it is what I carry everyday. had I the options, I would run a 17 with a 19 grip as previously mentioned. the +1 pinky extender essentially adds no length to the heal/butt of the 26 and that package is the most concealable in any carry position. the +0 pinky extender is requisite if you want to be able to reliably run the gun as fast as possible.

matthewdanger
06-01-14, 18:19

Just FYI... Don't be so quick to discount the G19 based on how heavy the slide is. The G34 does indeed have a cut out to approximate the weight of the G17 slide but the G19 has additional material left in the slide for the same reason. G19 slides (minus the barrel, not reciprocating mass) weigh within about 2/10s of an ounce of G17 slides (12.6 ounces for the G19 versus 12.8 for the G17). I found those numbers by weighing a couple of my G19 and G17 slides.

The G17 and G19 share roughly the same weight and the same OEM recoil spring rate. So, the reason you are sighting for not trying a G19, is actually the reason why the G19 enjoys such a reputation for reliability - it is essentially doing a very good impression of a G17.

trinydex
06-01-14, 18:23
Just FYI... Don't be so quick to discount the G19 based on how heavy the slide is. The G34 does indeed have a cut out to approximate the weight of the G17 slide but the G19 has additional material left in the slide for the same reason. G19 slides (minus the barrel, not reciprocating mass) weigh within about 2/10s of an ounce of G17 slides (12.6 ounces for the G19 versus 12.8 for the G17). I found those numbers by weighing a couple of my G19 and G17 slides.

The G17 and G19 share roughly the same weight and the same OEM recoil spring rate. So, the reason you are sighting for not trying a G19, is actually the reason why the G19 enjoys such a reputation for reliability - it is essentially doing a very good impression of a G17.

I'm not going to say the 19 is not reliable. I'm saying the 17 is most reliable. this distinction may be as small as the difference in sight radius. the 19 isn't a bad gun. it is a great gun.

all we are discussing here are options. some people like certain options. others want to hate. I dont think any of these options discussed are bad, I do have my personal preference for which option I choose for myself.

MegademiC
06-03-14, 16:51
...I'm saying the 17 is most reliable...

How do you know that?

thebarracuda
06-03-14, 19:38
I'm thinking a solid pass on the 17 with 26 grip chop. If modding a 17, go with a 19 grip... If modding a 19, go with the 26. Your handling characteristics will not change nearly as dramatically. I understand the desire for the longer sight radius, but I've found shooting a 19 sized pistol more often easily negates the difference. Especially at CCW distances.

Averageman
06-04-14, 12:15

I run a G26 with G19 magazines and think it is about ideal. I have yet to have an issue and it EDC.