PDA

View Full Version : Removing/Replacing Sight Tower Gas Block with Aftermarket

du1472
05-21-14, 22:03
Sorry if asked before and not being an expert on the Ar-15 platform. I have a BCM standard mil-spec 16" carbine upper, sight tower, A2 flash hider. I want to replace the tower and was concern I would need to recut pin slot. Maybe its as simple as removing hider, gas tube and pins and tapping off the tower. If so, any recommendations for a simple direct fit gas block (same pin cuts) with pic rail on top for a flip-up front sight. Do not need anything at the top quality list, good quality gas block is all I need. Considering moving to a 1x5 instead of red-dot and think function and appearance would improve.

Not a competition gun, just a toy for fun shooting among all the other toys...it lacks my attention sometimes.. sadly...

Any thought or guidance appreciated. Thank you all!

MistWolf
05-21-14, 22:07
Simply cut the FSB down. It's easy to do and you won't have to worry about replacing anything

Onyx Z
05-21-14, 22:20
The taper pin slots are cut to each FSB. Unless you had a whole bin of FSB's to test out, I doubt that a random aftermarket unit would match up properly to the slots in the barrel.

du1472
05-22-14, 16:56
Thanks, I was wondering if that was the case. I could cut down, did not think about that. May just leave it be or but another upper also... usually all I need is an excuse... maybe I just found one...

Thanks again for the comments.