PDA

View Full Version : HSGI TACO X2R feedback needed

ggammell
05-22-14, 16:19
I'm considering using an X2R to hold two PMAGs during an upcoming carbine class. I'll also be using an HSGI/Costa leg rig for two PMAGs and the handgun mags. My goal is to have five mags with me on the line. The X2R will be attached two a standard belt (not a combat/battle belt) using a belt slide.

Has anyone used this setup? Does it work well? Is it too heavy/large? This setup costs me about $55-60 since I've already got the leg rig as opposed to $150-200 for a new chest rig.

Vandal
05-22-14, 22:06
If you're going to attach something to a standard belt I would look closely at the Raven Concealment ModuLoader/ (http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/moduloader-system/) It was designed with HSGI Tacos in mind.

It sounds like you're going to have the X2R on your belt and then 3 other mags on the Costa rig? I prefer chest rig myself and have stopped running stuff on my legs.

ggammell
05-22-14, 22:54
If you're going to attach something to a standard belt I would look closely at the Raven Concealment ModuLoader/ (http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/moduloader-system/) It was designed with HSGI Tacos in mind.

It sounds like you're going to have the X2R on your belt and then 3 other mags on the Costa rig? I prefer chest rig myself and have stopped running stuff on my legs.

I have seen that but am leaning toward an older variant based off a g code belt adapter. I use one for my pistol tacos on my duty belt. It gives more flexibility as far as what size belt you can use it on.

I'm planning on 2 mags in the X2R in the belt, 2 mags in the costa rig and one in the gun of course so that gets me to five. I do have an email in to see if 5 is necessary or if they base thier breaks off a different number. Costa told me he sets his off 5 so I'd imagine other instructors are close to that as well.

Vandal
05-22-14, 23:15
I do run 3x the X2Rs on my plate carrier. I don't have any complaints with them other than they are kinda big.

ggammell
05-23-14, 00:01
Thanks. I figured they be big but I'll make sure to reload from that first to get a mag out of the way.

Benito
05-23-14, 21:25
Love TACOs, but I found the X2R a little on the bulky/heavy side. Especially when running, you'll feel the weight big time, mostly because it sits further from the body.

vizsla
05-23-14, 22:25
I had X2R TACOs for a couple of classes. They work well and do what they are supposed to do. I agree with others that they are bulkier. The main reason I got rid of them is that it is a pain to put a mag back into with one hand doing a tactical reload. The mag got caught trying to reinsert back into the TACO. I didn't mess around with them that much so possibly more adjusting or breaking them in more would have helped.

05-25-14, 12:00
I played around with using the Raven Concealment Moduloader and an X2R taco. It is just to much weight in one spot for the 2 finger Moduloader frame. I even tried almost all of the belt attachments and it was still a no go for me. The wings were the most stable, but it doesn't leave much room on the belt for other mags. Perhaps using a 5 finger setup with the permanent belt mounts would be far more stable.

Right now, I am playing around with G-Code belt mounted molle adapter kits for tacos. I am trying out the paddle and belt mount with a double decker. It may still not work out in my favor and if that is the case then I will move to trying a leg rig to resupply mags on my belt. The big thing I am seeing with the Moduloader and G-Code gear is that it puts the rifle mag to high up on the belt line and makes it top heavy so it flops around.

moses in maine
05-26-14, 11:39
You can not go wrong with the tacos . I agree the double mag models ae a bit bulky for a war belt but on a vest they seem GTG . IMHO