PDA

View Full Version : Beretta PX4 Storm

matt7184
05-22-14, 20:18
Does anyone have much trigger time on one? Seems like Ken Hackathorn and Dave Bowie think positive of the gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z48ziF76hwY

Cagemonkey
05-22-14, 20:52
Here you go; https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?146749-Beretta-PX4 I want to like them, but until Beretta makes some changes to address the Locking Up issue or if theirs some new updated info, I'm not going to take a chance.

bigghoss
05-23-14, 01:38
I also want to like them but I have heard not so good things. I didn't look into it too much, just skimmed several posts about breakages and gave up. Shame too because I like some of the models. I have a soft spot for decock-only DA/SA pistols for some reason. Glocks are my go-to but I dig any gun that does away with superfluous safeties.

Now that Wilson Combat is doing G conversions on 92 variants I really want to get an M9A1 and send it off to them.

matt7184
05-23-14, 08:44
I was quick to dismiss it too previously, but the SMEs in the video seems to show them in a pretty favorable light.

bigghoss
05-23-14, 19:55
I was quick to dismiss it too previously, but the SMEs in the video seems to show them in a pretty favorable light.

I watched about 10 minuets of it. That's just a 17 minuet commercial bought and paid for by Beretta. That doesn't mean it's a bad gun but I don't trust that vid to give me accurate info about the reliability of the gun.

attrapereves
05-24-14, 23:42
All together, I had several thousand rounds through my PX4s. Never once a failure. People speak of failures, but they always seem to come from rumors. Based on the design, I just don't see how the pistol could lock up. Even if the barrel is completely seized, the slide is still removable.

I loved the pistols, but just couldn't get used to the DA/SA trigger. Didn't really care for the sharp safety lever either (although they do make low profile ones).

I still think they are the best polymer pistol on the market, right under Glocks.

brickboy240
05-27-14, 12:01
My brother has a 9mm PX4 and I have borrowed. I have shot it many times and tried to like it.

The PX4 is reasonably accurate and reliable but suffers from many things that plague other Beretta pistols.

First, it is way too thick and chunky for a service size 9mm. Next to a G17 or G19...it seems huge.

Second, like the 92FS, the PX4 has the safety way up on the slide. Unless you have gorilla like hands...it is awkward to flick the safety without really shifting the gun in your hand. Since it has the large, ambi safety controls on the upper rear slide...it is very easy to decock and put the gun on safety, while doing a hasty power stroke reload. Can you see how that could spell disaster in a hurry?

With those features alone...I have vowed to never own one of those pistols. It is a soft shooter and reliable but its ergonomics are funky and the slide mounted safety is just God-awful if you ask me.

How Beretta can make such sweet shotguns that fit oh so well and make such thick, chunky awkward pistols is beyond me.

I say skip it but YMMV.

-brickboy240

Wolvee
05-27-14, 12:55

Who pays the bills for the SME?

richiecotite
05-27-14, 13:21
That video was clearly a promotional/marketing tool paid for and used by Beretta.

Wolvee
05-27-14, 13:25
That video was clearly a promotional/marketing tool paid for and used by Beretta.

As is the case with most experts that are marketable.

mdoan300
05-27-14, 13:31
albatrossarmament (member here) has a fullsize PX4 that he uses in classes and a sub-compact PX4 that he CCW. In all of the classes that I've taken w/ him, he has not had any issues and he is very accurate w/ them (a reflection on both the weapons and user). I'm sure he'll chime in shortly.

albatrossarmament
05-27-14, 18:19
I've owned three. I bought a full size as soon as they were initially released. I put about 3,000 rds through it without a failure. I bought it because I loved the lightweight of the Glock 17, but much preferred a DA/SA trigger pull that Beretta is known for. I sold that one and bought another because it was cheaper for me to sell it and buy a new one with night sights then to add them separately. I probably have 8,ooo rds through the second fullsize now. Again, utterly reliable. It eats anything I put through it, including wolf and tula. I train with it alot, it gets abused, has hit the concrete many times. I much prefer the rotary barrel. I also use it as a carry gun 90% of the time. The other 10% I have a PX4 subcompact. The subcompact has a typical tilting block recoil system and it is nose flippy. However it shoots well and I've take a couple of classes with it, it performed well. Now, if you prefer striker fired handguns the PX4 is NOT for you. If you find yourself sitting on the toilet polishing every pin on your handgun to make it go faster the PX4 is NOT for you. If you think a $200 trigger job is a good deal on your carry gun...then the PX4 is NOT for you. Its a workhorse, with a LONG first trigger pull and a decent sear reset after that (for a combat gun). You absolutely have to press this trigger WAY back to get it to fire in DA. Did I mention it has a long first trigger pull? Okay you get the picture. I've never had an issue with "lockup", its been ran greased, oiled, and dry. It doesn't seem to care. At least the three examples I have don't. Oh, and all of mine were F models that I immediately converted to G (decocker only) before I ever fired a round through them. They are also about the same size and weight as their Glock counterparts. For example the PX4 9mm fullsize weighs 28 oz empty. The Glock 17 weighs 25oz empty . PX4 length is 7.6", Glock 17 is 8.03". PX4 width is 1.42" (with decocker), Glock 17 is 1.18". PX4 height is 5.5", Glock 17 is 5.43"....So when comparing it with a carry/duty gun that's double stacked 9mm holding 17+1 rounds it compares favorably with any other polymer framed handgun on the market.
The next handgun I buy will be a mid-sized PX4.... I think it should prove to be the best of both worlds. Having has the opportunity to train beside a plethora of shooters with an array of different types of handguns I am a firm believer it is often the Indian, not that arrow that makes a difference.

Magic_Salad0892
05-28-14, 19:27
Ask Bill Wilson what he thinks of the PX4.

And Caleb Giddings.

Your question will be answered, as neither of them are paid by Beretta.

brickboy240
05-29-14, 11:48
The biggest problem I found on the PX4...which also counts for the 92FS...is the big slide mounted safety.

if you are used to power-stroking a semi-auto on reload...it is VERY easy to hit the safety and then you are standing there with a pistol that is on safety and de-cocked. Dealing with the awkwardly placed way high slide safety AND the long crunch-tickety trigger could spell disaster in a hurry.

No thank you.

I guess if you trained around the power stroke reload...you could avoid it but that whole issue of the safety being located way up on the slide is a deal killer for me and the Beretta semi-autos.

YMMV

-Brickboy240

albatrossarmament
05-29-14, 12:38
The biggest problem I found on the PX4...which also counts for the 92FS...is the big slide mounted safety.

if you are used to power-stroking a semi-auto on reload...it is VERY easy to hit the safety and then you are standing there with a pistol that is on safety and de-cocked. Dealing with the awkwardly placed way high slide safety AND the long crunch-tickety trigger could spell disaster in a hurry.

No thank you.

I guess if you trained around the power stroke reload...you could avoid it but that whole issue of the safety being located way up on the slide is a deal killer for me and the Beretta semi-autos.

YMMV

-Brickboy240

This is true, and can be trained around. However, on the G model (decocker only) it doesn't exist. I'm not a fan of the safety model myself either.

RD62
05-29-14, 21:30
Convert to or buy a G model as mentioned or use the ergonomically placed and faster slide release to drop the slide and the safety is less of an issue if not no issue at all.

Magsz
05-30-14, 09:23
You can also come over the top and do a "pinch" slingshot during a reload.

RWCRaiden
05-30-14, 11:37
Limited experience with the PX4. I do like them, just not enough to buy one. I do have a 92FS that I do love quite a bit though. I just see no reason to really buy a polymer version of the same pistol.

As for shooting the PX4, the couple mags I've fired had zero issue. It was reasonably accurate, but I really don't see anything special about it. The only reason to purchase one IMO is if you just really really love the look of this pistol.

sinlessorrow
05-30-14, 17:53
Who here has used one and either had theirslock uo, or seen one personally do it?

In the 15,000 rounds through my 4 year old Px4 I have never once had it lock up like I see some claim.

bigghoss
05-31-14, 07:37
The issue with accidentally putting the safety on is easily remedied by getting a decock only or DAO. I have a soft spot for DC DA/SA pistols even though I prefer striker-fired like my glocks. The only pistols I will buy with manual safeties can be carried cocked-and-locked like a 1911, I won't have a pistol with a manual safety otherwise, and I absolutely will not have a manual safety on the slide. Decock lever on the slide like a G Beretta or a P-series DC Ruger is fine with me. I've never had an issue with the lever on my old P95dc.

It's been a long time since I've looked at the PX4, seems like they might be worth a closer look. Maybe Beretta has worked the bugs out.

Crow Hunter
05-31-14, 07:47
Who here has used one and either had theirslock uo, or seen one personally do it?

In the 15,000 rounds through my 4 year old Px4 I have never once had it lock up like I see some claim.

How many rounds would you say you shoot in one session? Is yours a compact or full size model?

The only time that I have heard about that locking up issue was during a shooting class that I believe was high volume and only started after the guns got pretty hot.

I wish there were more reports out on this pistol. You are one of the few people that has a report of any significant number of rounds other than Bill Wilson but I am only assuming he has a high round count because he hasn't actually reported a number of rounds fired but he does shoot alot.

I would want to like this gun. The compact is very close to a G19 in size and has many of the features that I would like to have in a new gun.

I am just personally nervous about it based on Todd Green's experience in Canada with mallets and I believe there was a M4Carbine.net member whose wife's is a police officer whose department had to ditch the PX4 due to some type of problem. But I don't remember who it was.

That combined with the fact that there aren't any major police departments issuing it makes me a little leery. My local gun shop says that it is their worst seller by far. They have a lot of trouble moving them.

I have heard though that it is a very sweet shooter though from people I trust.

Wolvee
05-31-14, 10:44
I think if you're invested in the brand, it's a good choice but when I had mine, it just left me reminiscing/wanting my old M9. So I sold the Px4 and bought one.

I can't speak to any high round counts with it, maybe 1000 rounds but I thought it was just, an Ok pistol. I didn't train with it and I didn't even invest in a holster, for the size and feel of it, a full size USP was leaps & bounds more of a fit for me and I'd argue more accurate. (I wasn't an Hk fanboy at that point and don't really even prefer the USP's over the P-series Hk's.) Both guns are better than my skill level. :0/

RWCRaiden
06-01-14, 12:01
I would also think that if there was an issue with slide lock up, it would be pretty well known by this point. The gun has been out a while.

sinlessorrow
06-01-14, 15:11
How many rounds would you say you shoot in one session? Is yours a compact or full size model?

The only time that I have heard about that locking up issue was during a shooting class that I believe was high volume and only started after the guns got pretty hot.

I wish there were more reports out on this pistol. You are one of the few people that has a report of any significant number of rounds other than Bill Wilson but I am only assuming he has a high round count because he hasn't actually reported a number of rounds fired but he does shoot alot.

I would want to like this gun. The compact is very close to a G19 in size and has many of the features that I would like to have in a new gun.

I am just personally nervous about it based on Todd Green's experience in Canada with mallets and I believe there was a M4Carbine.net member whose wife's is a police officer whose department had to ditch the PX4 due to some type of problem. But I don't remember who it was.

That combined with the fact that there aren't any major police departments issuing it makes me a little leery. My local gun shop says that it is their worst seller by far. They have a lot of trouble moving them.

I have heard though that it is a very sweet shooter though from people I trust.

Depends, the least I have put through it at any one time has been 300 rounds. Often I will put 500 or 600 over the course of couple of hours. this is a full size PX4 btw.

The police thing if I am remembering right was magazine base plate related after dropping them numerous time from the mag well and letting them hit the ground, eventually the base plate would fly off and eject the ammunition.

Theres also a good number of guys over on the beretta forum who put more rounds than I do through their PX4 with no issues. from what I have seen 90% of the issues are regurgitated from those 2 specific instances you mentioned.

Although my PX4 has been put on hold for my 92fs atm, though I plan on getting a compact PX4 soon.

anachronism
06-01-14, 18:36
Ask Bill Wilson what he thinks of the PX4.

And Caleb Giddings.

Your question will be answered, as neither of them are paid by Beretta.

http://www.gunnuts.net/2014/04/17/modified-px4-storm-reliability-report/

zen_grasshopper
06-01-14, 19:18
Watched Caleb run his at a match today, he really likes it. I used to have one and it was a great gun, only reason I don't still have it is my boss wanted it more than I did. So I sold it to him. One of the most accurate pistols I have ever owned.

Kain
06-01-14, 19:44
Personal experience with the PX4 has not been positive. Now, I will say this, I like the 92 series of handguns, and want and an M9A1 is on my list of guns to buy, and will likely being sending it off to Wilson when I do for some love and care before beating the living shit out of that bitch. They aren't perfect, but I shoot them well and my 92SB is one of the few handguns that I have handled that just feels right. I don't have issue with the safety as even with my medium sized hands I can work it without issue, and the activation of safety during a powerstroke is my opinion a training issue more than a gun issue though I do agree that G models should be more available than they are.

As for the PX4s, I really like how they feel, and the ones I have shot have groups well. I do kind of want to like the pistol and here is the first time I have heard anyone mention issues with the pistols locking up. That said, I have had a few friends buy the PX4s and none have kept them and everyone I shot has had issues, mostly FTFs. The one I spent the most time with and around was that of a friend's dad's which would not function worth a damn. I kid you not, it averaged a FTF every three god damn rounds. I mean that literally too. Bang, bang, FTF, bang, bang, FTF. It got to the point when the gun fired three rounds straight I caught myself going to clear it. We cleaned it, we lubed, we tried different mags, different holds, different shooters, slow fire, fast fire, and we tried at least a dozen different types of 9mm, from Winchester, to Federal, to S&B, Wolf, Tula, Fiochi, ect, ect and it still reliably FTFed like clock work every three rounds just about. I finally gave up on it after the point we had 700 or better rounds through it, and I don't know if his dad still has the pistol. Now, that was two years ago or thereabouts. I don't know if Beretta has fixed the issue or if his dad just got a lemon or what. The gunstore that it was bought from basically gave his old man the line that it needs to be broken in before it will run 100% and that they wouldn't do anything about it, another story/issue for another time though. But I would need some serious convincing to buy one over the m9/92 series of pistols that I do have faith and like other than a few issues with some of the plastic parts, which is more OCD than real issues with the pistols.

ETA, the one the we ran the 700+ rounds through was a compact model so I don't know if that makes any difference.

RWCRaiden
06-02-14, 16:38
Kain, Do you think you could find out what happened with that pistol, if he sold it or contacted Beretta about the issue?

attrapereves
06-03-14, 21:55
I find failures in this pistol to be so intruiging. Some people claim FTF a few times per mag, while some people (like myself) have no failures.

anachronism
06-04-14, 11:30
Failure to feed? Beretta recommends only 124 gr ammo and heavier in the PX 9mm. I suspect the 40s have a similar recommendation. My PX9 originally had multiple FTFs out of the box. I oiled the hell out of it, and followed Berettas recommendations for ammo. After one more break in session, the gun functions fine with even 115 gr ammo. 100 gr ammo is a no-go, and I simply adjusted my ammo stock to heavier bullets.

It's in the manual... honest.

Crow Hunter
06-04-14, 12:06
Failure to feed? Beretta recommends only 124 gr ammo and heavier in the PX 9mm. I suspect the 40s have a similar recommendation. My PX9 originally had multiple FTFs out of the box. I oiled the hell out of it, and followed Berettas recommendations for ammo. After one more break in session, the gun functions fine with even 115 gr ammo. 100 gr ammo is a no-go, and I simply adjusted my ammo stock to heavier bullets.

It's in the manual... honest.

What about +P ammo? Okay, not okay? Heavier weight rounds required even with +P?

As hard as these thing seem to be to move locally, I am seriously thinking about trying to lowball a dealer to try out one of the compacts. I am wondering if I might get a screaming deal just because they can't sell them otherwise.

RWCRaiden
06-04-14, 13:28
What about +P ammo? Okay, not okay? Heavier weight rounds required even with +P?

As hard as these thing seem to be to move locally, I am seriously thinking about trying to lowball a dealer to try out one of the compacts. I am wondering if I might get a screaming deal just because they can't sell them otherwise.

Go for it. I always feel good getting a deal on a gun.

Crow Hunter
06-04-14, 13:36
Go for it. I always feel good getting a deal on a gun.

Only problem is my practice shooting stash is almost exclusively Blazer/UMC/WWB 115gr mousefart rounds. I have some 124gr Lawman and a big stash of my 124gr+P Speer Gold dots. If I am going to have to buy all new practice loads to not have to deal with constanta malfs I won't be getting that good a deal. :p

Kain
06-04-14, 13:59
Kain, Do you think you could find out what happened with that pistol, if he sold it or contacted Beretta about the issue?

I can certainly try.

Tomac
06-04-14, 21:47
Personal experience with the PX4 has not been positive. Now, I will say this, I like the 92 series of handguns, and want and an M9A1 is on my list of guns to buy, and will likely being sending it off to Wilson when I do for some love and care before beating the living shit out of that bitch. They aren't perfect, but I shoot them well and my 92SB is one of the few handguns that I have handled that just feels right. I don't have issue with the safety as even with my medium sized hands I can work it without issue, and the activation of safety during a powerstroke is my opinion a training issue more than a gun issue though I do agree that G models should be more available than they are.

As for the PX4s, I really like how they feel, and the ones I have shot have groups well. I do kind of want to like the pistol and here is the first time I have heard anyone mention issues with the pistols locking up. That said, I have had a few friends buy the PX4s and none have kept them and everyone I shot has had issues, mostly FTFs. The one I spent the most time with and around was that of a friend's dad's which would not function worth a damn. I kid you not, it averaged a FTF every three god damn rounds. I mean that literally too. Bang, bang, FTF, bang, bang, FTF. It got to the point when the gun fired three rounds straight I caught myself going to clear it. We cleaned it, we lubed, we tried different mags, different holds, different shooters, slow fire, fast fire, and we tried at least a dozen different types of 9mm, from Winchester, to Federal, to S&B, Wolf, Tula, Fiochi, ect, ect and it still reliably FTFed like clock work every three rounds just about. I finally gave up on it after the point we had 700 or better rounds through it, and I don't know if his dad still has the pistol. Now, that was two years ago or thereabouts. I don't know if Beretta has fixed the issue or if his dad just got a lemon or what. The gunstore that it was bought from basically gave his old man the line that it needs to be broken in before it will run 100% and that they wouldn't do anything about it, another story/issue for another time though. But I would need some serious convincing to buy one over the m9/92 series of pistols that I do have faith and like other than a few issues with some of the plastic parts, which is more OCD than real issues with the pistols.

ETA, the one the we ran the 700+ rounds through was a compact model so I don't know if that makes any difference.

IIRC, the early Compacts had a recoil spring that was too strong, resulting in the symptoms you describe. Beretta initiated a recall/replacement program: http://www.berettasupport.com/applications/php_storm/index.htm
Tomac

elgie
06-15-14, 00:06
Well, I wanted to like mine. But after a four day course with it I bought a glock and sold it. It's got some nice features but I just couldn't shoot it well.