PDA

View Full Version : Will a Polarization Filter help on my Aimpoint PRO on sunny/bright days??

NYH1
05-23-14, 00:34
I have a Aimpoint PRO on my Colt and love it. However, sometimes when I'm shooting it on really bright days with the sun behind me, I have to turn the power all the way up on it just to see the red dot. It happens mostly at the range because our backs are towards the sun as it's gets later in the day. So the sun kind of shines into our scopes/optics ect. from behind us. I just noticed that Aimpoint makes a Polarization Filter that go's in the back of the optic (side by my eye). Would this help cut down the washout I think you call it and help me see the red dot better on bright days?

Thanks, NYH1.

VIP3R 237
05-23-14, 00:38
I just close the front cap and use both eyes open. Your brain superimposes the image of the red dot on the target.

SomeOtherGuy
05-23-14, 12:02
It would probably work, but have you considered trying polarized sunglasses instead? That way you don't have a potential issue of glare off of the filter itself.

NYH1
05-24-14, 01:34
I just close the front cap and use both eyes open. Your brain superimposes the image of the red dot on the target.
I keep both eyes open all the time when I use my Aimpoint. When I use it at night I keep the cover closed so my Surefire doesn't washout the red dot and it works great. However, I don't want to do it all the time. So I was just wondering if the polarization filter would make a difference.

Thanks, NYH1.

NYH1
05-24-14, 01:49
It would probably work, but have you considered trying polarized sunglasses instead? That way you don't have a potential issue of glare off of the filter itself.
No, I didn't even know they made polarized sunglasses to be honest. I absolutely hate wearing glasses of any kind. But being that I have to at the range I guess I can get a pair and try them.

Thanks, NYH1.