PDA

View Full Version : Need a new pistol for my fiance.......

MadAngler1
05-23-14, 10:16
I took her to the range recently, and after practicing with my Ruger 10/22, she shot my Glock 19. The recoil and blast took her by surprise, but she was able to control it and did quite well for herself from 5 yards away (kept them all in the 0 of an IDPA target). This was only her second time out with me unfortunately, because we work so much.

I was wondering if there is an alternative to the Glock 19 that has less recoil in 9 mm? I was thinking of a HK P2000 or HK P30, because I know that the recoil spring and buffer on HK guns does wonders for the .45 ACP HK45/USP models. I was wondering if people who own the 9 mm HK P30 or P2000 thought the same.

Another alternative would be a pistol in .380 ACP, but I do not have any experience with that caliber or pistols that shoot that caliber. Sig makes the P232, but Sig has QC issues as of late. Thoughts?

I just want her to own something that she would potentially practice with on a routine basis and then use (lord forbid) in a defensive situation. The important word here is "comfort". I want her to get comfortable to the point where operating the pistol will be an afterthought. Perhaps she just needs more trigger time behind the Glock 19, but if there is something out there with less recoil impulse that is as reliable, I will buy it for her.

okie john
05-23-14, 10:31
My P30 is somewhat less lively than a G19 but not markedly so. More time with your Glock is probably a better answer. Also, blowback 380s are horrid in terms of recoil.

Okie John

momano
05-23-14, 15:18
Glock G42 in .380 has very little recoil

djegators
05-23-14, 15:34
Glock G42 in .380 has very little recoil

Beat me to it!

okie john
05-23-14, 17:07
Beat me to it!
True, but the G42 is a short-recoil system. The Walther PP series, the SIG 230 series, and most other 380s are blowback operated. They're as bad as an alloy J-frame with +P ammo.

Okie John

Rohardi
05-23-14, 17:32
My fiancé is going to pick up a pink Glock 19 gen 4. She has a pink sig mosquito but she shot my HK45 and now she wants a "real" gun.

Her current toy
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/renurava.jpg

And the soon to be replacement.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/uzeze3ap.jpg

26 Inf
05-23-14, 20:54
Sounds like she doesn't have a lot of rounds down the pipe.

Why don't you get a .22 conversion for the Glock?

One of the smart things I did as a young married guy was start my wife out on a Marlin 39 (lever action .22) and a borrowed SA .22 revolver, then built up to full power rifles and pistols, then shotguns.

You know what is best, but the first outing firing a dozen or so rounds is not necessarily indicative of future performance. The .22 doesn't develop recoil aversion, isn't as tiring to shoot and is cheaper.

That has been my experience.

Brianb23
05-24-14, 08:43
The first gun my wife ever shot was my full size 1911 and she had ZERO issues with it. In fact when we were looking for a carry gun she wanted a commander size 1911 :) She also put some trigger time on my Kahr k40, she didn't like the snap of the .40 as much but it was manageable for her. Don't listen to this BS about starting small. It will only make her think she can't handle a bigger round.
I can only speak about the P30 but, I would advise against it for your wife. Since HK uses fairly stiff springs the P30 is prone to short cycle with practice ammo and a weak grip. My wife just doesn't have the hand strength to keep the gun from moving enough to cause problems. I on the other hand have had no issues. We ended up buying a Ruger LC9 as her carry gun and she couldn't be happier. She now wants a full sized range toy though. It gets expensive when both of you like guns!

26 Inf
05-24-14, 10:52
The first gun my wife ever shot was my full size 1911 and she had ZERO issues with it. In fact when we were looking for a carry gun she wanted a commander size 1911 :) She also put some trigger time on my Kahr k40, she didn't like the snap of the .40 as much but it was manageable for her. Don't listen to this BS about starting small. It will only make her think she can't handle a bigger round.

You are absolutely right, I know nothing about it.

Your sample size of one wife, definitely trumps my sample size of two wives, two sons, two daughters, three grandsons, numerous friend's wives AND the 6,000+ officers I've trained as a full time firearms instructor over 3 decades.

I'll just signal and get back in my lane.

MadAngler1
05-24-14, 22:37
Sounds like she doesn't have a lot of rounds down the pipe.

Why don't you get a .22 conversion for the Glock?

One of the smart things I did as a young married guy was start my wife out on a Marlin 39 (lever action .22) and a borrowed SA .22 revolver, then built up to full power rifles and pistols, then shotguns.

You know what is best, but the first outing firing a dozen or so rounds is not necessarily indicative of future performance. The .22 doesn't develop recoil aversion, isn't as tiring to shoot and is cheaper.

That has been my experience.

Thanks for the rec. I was thinking about a .22 pistol but completely forgot about a .22 LR Glock conversion. What brand would you recommend?

Good to know about the P30 as well. After all, it uses a Browning style recoil operated system.

Headcase650
05-24-14, 23:45
Most of the small polymer 9mm's will have some bite/kick to them. If she doesnt mind the weight maybe try a heavier pistol to tame some of the recoil. I have a steel framed Kahr K9 and its pretty easy to shoot compared to a similar polymer framed gun.

MegademiC
05-25-14, 01:43
More rounds down range will make her comfortable. She's shot twice and you want to buy a gun with less recoil? She needs to learn how to handle/hold the gun to manage that recoil! Get more rounds down range before she starts shopping. Grip and technique trump gun when it comes to recoil management.

Edit: I also agree that a .22 conversion kit or trainer would most likely be very beneficial.

teutonicpolymer
05-25-14, 16:05
Simple answer: Glock 17/34

If you really want to you could change the recoil spring

For being pretty light Glocks handle recoil very well

turnburglar
05-25-14, 19:05
I really doubt there is a 9mm handgun out there that will make a g19 feel like a mule. Sounds like a shooter problem more than a gun problem.

Also something that few gun store employees understand: micro pistols ARE NOT beginner friendly. They require a mastery of fundamentals to get any sort of combat accuracy and are much harsher to shoot.

If your looking for a night stand gun that WONT be concealed I'd look into any full size. Definitely get her alot more time behind the glock you already own rather than spending hundreds of dollars on her own gun.

Noodle
05-25-14, 20:30
Just picked up my girlfriend a XDs 9. Nice small grip, manageable recoil, fiber optic front site, no decockers or manual safeties to think about.

She tried the Glocks. Grip just did not work with her small hands.

She is shooting the Springfield pretty well. Might be worth checking it out.

MistWolf
05-25-14, 20:57
My wife loves lever action rifles. Her favorite being the Henry .22 LR. When I took her out to shoot .22 pistols, I brought along the Ruger Bearcat & Single Six. After all, a single action pistol is what goes with a lever action rifle, right? She took one look at both Rugers, wrinkled her nose and said "I don't like either one." She picked up the Walther P22 I got when my father passed away and started blazing away. I haven't been able to pry it away from her since. That's ok, my Dad really loved my wife and I'm sure he'd be glad to have her claim it.

My wife is much more willing to go shooting now that she has a pistol she likes, one she picked out for herself. MadAngler1, you are asking the wrong people as to what handgun you should get your girl. You should be asking her. Take her out to a range where she can try a variety of handguns and let her shoot them until she finds one she likes and get her that one