PDA

View Full Version : Red dot for 100$

Mike Marley
05-23-14, 11:45
I have very good optics on my M4; however I just bought a M&P 15-22 for plinking. I'd like to put a red dot sight on it for about 100$.

I know it will not be great sight, but it's only use is for fun. Not competition. If it can hold its zero and is not incapacitated with too much parallax, then it's all for me.

Suggestions?

firefighter37
05-23-14, 11:51
Primary Arms red dots are pretty good for the price. That's what sits on top of my 15-22. I've been very happy with it.

T2C
05-23-14, 12:10
I picked up a Tru Glo sight for the same reason and wish I had spent more money on a better RDS. When viewing through the sight, it is not quite as clear as a better quality sight. The sight did not hold zero and I had to send it back to the factory. It now holds zero, but the glass on the optic is cracked from recoil and the rifle being bumped around a moderate amount.

Tru Glo is not recommended if you were thinking about going that route.

Mike Marley
05-23-14, 12:11
I picked up a Tru Glo sight for the same reason and wish I had spent more money on a better RDS. When viewing through the sight, it is not quite as clear as a better quality sight. The sight did not hold zero and I had to send it back to the factory. It now holds zero, but the glass on the optic is cracked from recoil and the rifle being bumped around a moderate amount.

Tru Glo is not recommended if you were thinking about going that route.

Yikes. I was actually. Thanks for the heads up

Mike Marley
05-23-14, 12:12
Primary Arms red dots are pretty good for the price. That's what sits on top of my 15-22. I've been very happy with it.

That seems decent. How is the dot? Clear? Is it adjustable brightness?

Keith E.
05-23-14, 12:37
I've had good luck with a PA Micro. You'll just has to work through the Aqua Velva optics.

Keith

Mike Marley
05-23-14, 12:43
I've had good luck with a PA Micro. You'll just has to work through the Aqua Velva optics.

Keith

Does it help to slather the optic with Aqua Velva? I'll be the most popular boy in town, smelling all fresh and refined at the range...

Anyway, that's an interesting point, but for the cost, I'll deal with the aqua velva

firefighter37
05-23-14, 12:45
The dot looks just like the dots on my T-1s. The brightness is adjustable, but I find it's nowhere near as bright on the highest settings compared to my Aimpoints. Considering its $89 vs $550, I'll deal with it.

tog
05-23-14, 12:56
Another plug for the Primary Arms red dots.

223to45
05-23-14, 15:03
I picked up a StrikeFire from PSA for $99 w/ free shipping , about a month ago. Don't know if they still have that deal. But I figure it would work fine for the 15-22 also.

skywalkrNCSU
05-23-14, 16:24
I don't have one myself but if I were in your shoes I would get the Primary Arms as well.

B Cart
05-23-14, 16:25
Another vote for the Primary Arms micro. You can get them for $79 from Primary Arms, along with the PA riser mount for $20. That will give you a complete RDS setup for your price range, and I don't think you can beat that setup for $100.

rocketman
05-23-14, 16:59
Another Plug for PA Micro. I have T-1's on my go to AR's but my 2 PA Micro's are mounted on a shotty and an AK. No problems at all plus they have good customer service.

Caeser25
05-23-14, 17:16
Another vote for the PA Micro.

indawire
05-25-14, 21:36
Just to be a contrarian, I've had very good luck with the TRS-25, shop around you can usually get the RDS and a knockoff riser for $100.

cma g21
05-26-14, 08:37
Just to be a contrarian, I've had very good luck with the TRS-25, shop around you can usually get the RDS and a knockoff riser for $100.

The only problem I've seen with the TRS-25's is some of them have stiff adjustment knobs - occasionally I'll see one that is very stiff.

FWIW, Bushnell also used to claim a 3,000 hour battery life for the TRS-25. Now I can't find any estimate of battery life listed.

Still, IMHO, they're not bad - for the money. Not a T-1 or H-1 by any means, but not too bad either. I know of at least one that's held up to hundreds of rounds on an AK.

YMMV.

Doc. Holiday
05-27-14, 15:08
I have the TRS Trophey on my .22 and it's great. No issues. Pretty happy for $89! (That was on sale though, but you can find them usually around that price on Amazon or Cabelas)

Here is a link!

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401221327&sr=8-1&keywords=bushnell+trs-25+trophy

.45's and .38's
05-27-14, 15:38
Palmetto has good deals on vortex strikefires most days....99 bucks

great red dots, lifetime warranty, run it on the 22 & something larger in the future perhaps, three different mounts, or 2....cant remember exactly.....huge vortex fan here.....their customer service is top notch

Jellybean
05-30-14, 19:51
That seems decent. How is the dot? Clear? Is it adjustable brightness?

Another vote for the PA T1 clone.
The dot is good enough- not quite a perfect dot, but then neither is my PRO to my eyes...
More than clear enough for day shooting. Brightness is adjustable, and works just fine even in midday sun.
The standard mount/riser that you can get with it from PA is a UTG mount, just for the record.... a fellow elsewhere apparently busted his off the rifle under vigorous movement when his rifle collided with an immovable natural object... :laugh:
However, owning the complete PA setup, I would have no problem using the UTG part as an interim mount on a light-duty .22 that's not going to be tossed all over the place, and simply upgrade whenever it finally busts.

Frankly, for the money, I'd rather save a little $$ and get the PA over the Vortex- there's always some guy with one of the cheap Vortex RDS that had it crap out....

themonk
05-30-14, 21:26
Both the Primary Arms and the TRS-25 are excellent with the Primary Arms having better glass with less green tint. The Primary Arms also has the added benefit of using the same screw config as the T1/H1s so you can use any mount designed for the aimpoint micros. I can't seem to kill either of mine but if this is a fighting rifle make sure you know your irons.

Mike Marley
05-31-14, 09:44
Had a chance to look through a PA red dot. Not sure I remember the model, but resembled an aimpoint. So, comparing to my Lucid:

The PA had noticeable parallax. I did not know this going in until I discovered it through shooting. The red dot at times appeared like an elongated egg, depending on my placement. I knocked it off with my hat several times which was a bit annoying.

The Lucid red dot remained crystal clear and point like, regardless of my placement. No noticeable parallax. Off button positioned to the side of the optic, so turning it off was not possible with my hat. Had multiple reticles, and a setting which allowed you to adjust brightness, or automatically by the optic due to a light sensor eye on top. It's bigger, about the size of an ACOG, but not monstrous.

In all, for the price, I'd go with the Lucid. Even thought its 159$ (not 100...btw, the aimpoint was 200$ as well), and out of the originally specified 100$ price range.

Just the thoughts of a newb....

MiamiCracker
05-31-14, 14:11
My vote is for the Primary Arms Micro dot. They came out with a new version a couple days ago.