PDA

View Full Version : Troy Alpha vs Rainier Arms rail

Djstorm100
05-23-14, 17:14
I'm in the market for a 12/13 inch rail for a SPR "style" rilfe I have. At the moment it just have a magpul MOE handguard with a front sight post that I cut. They are around the same price but the Rainier is actually cheaper, just wanted to get you're guys opinion. Thanks.

mpom
05-23-14, 19:45
Which Ranier rail are you considering?
Running the Evo, 12". Not bad but there is a slight lateral movement at the front of the rail, with a fair amount of pressure. Can see it when both folding sights are up and red dot on. Think its the nature of the "pinch" clamping system.
Am thinking of switching to the Force by Ranier Arms, or the KMR. No experience with Troy Alpha.

Djstorm100
05-23-14, 20:13
I've been out of the game for a while so to speak. I didn't even know Rainier came out with a new rail! I was talking about the EVO, thanks for the input. I'll like to save some money but the KMR is a very very nice system. Force looks to fit the bill and budget.

bighawk
05-24-14, 22:30
I have no experience with the rainier arms rail but the troy alpha is pretty solid.

mastiffhound
05-24-14, 23:49
I have a Troy 15" Alpha on my 20" PSA that is very solid. I did use red Loctite and I staked the screws (I put a small slot on each screw to do so). I haven't had any movement and some might think I went overboard but my OCD took over. Screws coming loose was the only problem I've heard of so I did everything I could to negate the possibility of that problem. I've not used the Rainier but they are well liked by most. Both would be fine probably. At this point it's about feel probably. You might have to handle them to know which you like better.

Another to consider if on a budget is the ALG Rails:http://algdefense.com/rails.html
They're owned by Geissele now and their rails look pretty good also. Midwest Industries also makes decent stuff. You really do have a ton of options.

bighawk
05-24-14, 23:49
Also if your SPR has the rifle length gas system and you dont want the gas block exposed you might want to go longer than 13 inches..

DWood
05-25-14, 11:28
Also if your SPR has the rifle length gas system and you dont want the gas block exposed you might want to go longer than 13 inches..

The gas block will only be exposed at the very end. While it is still subject to being bumped, the risk is minimal, in my opinion. I don't care for a longer rail with the 18" rifle lebgth gas barrel. Mt barrel is dimpled for the set screws and red loctited. It is not going to move. The gas tube is completely protected.

bighawk
05-25-14, 13:03
The gas block will only be exposed at the very end. While it is still subject to being bumped, the risk is minimal, in my opinion. I don't care for a longer rail with the 18" rifle lebgth gas barrel. Mt barrel is dimpled for the set screws and red loctited. It is not going to move. The gas tube is completely protected.

I agree with you.. The risk is minimal however I wasn't talking about the risk. My 18" with rifle length gas system wears a rifle length knights urx 3 and the block is exposed like yours however mine is beat to hell and if I were to build another I think I would go with a 15" rail just to cover it.. Personal preference is all

DWood
05-25-14, 15:53
You make me realize I am not using mine enough. I need to get out and shoot.

bighawk
05-25-14, 18:48
You make me realize I am not using mine enough. I need to get out and shoot.

I know that feeling.. Havent had the time to do so in a few weeks.. Its killing me