PDA

View Full Version : LaRue SPR15

rcoodyar15
05-25-14, 15:51
Having some problems with my new gun. It is listed in the custom forum. Levers seem to be getting loose while I am shooting. Results below

First group I retightened the levers last night. This is out of a cold clean barrel.

Went rapidly downhill after that

after 5 five shot groups I checked the mount and the front lever was tight but the tension on the rear lever was light

What do you think is it the mount or something else?

SilverBullet432
05-25-14, 16:45
Im more concerned about that keyhole you've got in pic 2. Specs on build? link to article? what ammo?

rcoodyar15
05-25-14, 17:04
If you are talking about the target I don't see a keyhole. Now if you are talking about the backboard no telling where that came from. Its a range board.

Lower Parts

CMT billet upper and lower receiver
Geissele SSA-E trigger
vltor A5 receiver extension
Vltor A5 Extension, spring and buffer
Magpul ASC stock
Magpul MOE grip

Upper Parts

CMT Billet upper receiver
Shilen 20" match 1 in 8 twist wilde chamber ratchet rifling barrel
Spikes bolt carrier with shilen bolt
Vltor gas block
Raptor charging handle
Precision Reflex 15" Delta forearm

Failure2Stop
05-25-14, 20:25
The levers need to be tight, as in; needs man grip to close levers, and sling assist to open them.

Tightening LaRue levers to meet that have resulted in decent success for me. Any looser and you risk losing tension.

Also, ensure that the ring bolts are tight, at least 20 in/lbs.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

rcoodyar15
05-25-14, 21:04
The levers need to be tight, as in; needs man grip to close levers, and sling assist to open them.

Tightening LaRue levers to meet that have resulted in decent success for me. Any looser and you risk losing tension.

thanks. I was afraid to tighten them that much. Now I know. Pretty much that has to be the problem.

I tightened the rings with a fat wrench at 30 in lb

TAZ
05-25-14, 21:11

1+ to this. Mine r tightened such that I have to press hard to close them and need to use something to gain leverage to release them. Not so tightness they are messing up my receiver though. You got to find the happy place. Wish you could close the levers and then torque to a set value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SilverBullet432
05-25-14, 21:57
O okay, just wondering.

rcoodyar15
05-31-14, 18:45
Thanks guy

Really torqued them down. Made it to the range today and no problems. Shot around 100 rounds trying everything from standard federal 5.56 to match rounds in 55gr, 62gr, 69gr and 77gr. Some it likes better than others. Begining to dial it in.

Last weekend my groups with 77gr matchking were terrible. probably 3". the worst of all. Probably because they were the heaviest the scope was moving the most.

This weekend 77gr black hills matchking was well under an inch and the reason it wasn't better was me. I am very relieved that now the only thing keeping me from better groups is practice.

and when I get my reloader together I hope to see that help too!

this was 77gr matchking at the end of 100 rounds. Obviously the mount is tight now.

I can forgive myself the flyer. Guy next to me with an uzzi and 9mm brass was raining down on me.

elephantrider
06-05-14, 01:32

Big yes, and yes to that. I use ADM instead of Larue mounts but the same principles apply. I made both mistakes, until I read the damn directions that come with the mounts. A small torque wrench helps get the ring screws completely seated evenly. A piece of 550 cord helps to get leverage on the QR levers if you need to get the mount off again.