PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my 1911 project

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-03-08, 19:28
Guys,

I have a series 70 1911 that I am about to ship to Novak's for a custom job. I will post the results of this little project here. I want to hear from you guys on what you think I should have done. This is a carry handgun, with function being the foremost consideration. Here are my thoughts...

1. Novak Answer. This I am 50/50 on.
2. Dehorn
3. Checkering
4. lower and flare ejection port
5. Novak solid rear, trit front
6. 10-8/vickers trigger
7. Solder on plunger
8 reliability job
9. Reblue or black-t

Gimmie your thoughts.

dojpros
06-03-08, 19:46
1. Novak Answer. I know no one who has one and of the top four guys i shoot with on a weekly basis, they own 60 1911s between them and have been to Gunsite/Thunder Ranch 40 between them. Not one of those guys has the answer. The lawyer in me says no re disabling a safety system

2. Dehorn
Yes, but a B priority if budget is any consideration.

3. Checkering
Yes, you might also consder stippling

Yes

Absolutely an A priority to have sights you can see.

6. 10-8/vickers trigger
Yes, any quality trigger in a length you like is a good thing.

7. Solder on plunger
Yes, particularly if you are going to shoot it alot

8 reliability job

An A+ priority is reliability

9. Reblue or black-t
Black T if you are going to carry and shoot. This could add time to the job as Black T is done by Birdsong outside then Novak shop.

YMMV

JSandi
06-03-08, 19:57
This is a carry handgun, with function being the foremost consideration.

Easy, trade the Colt in on an H&K45C

:p

Sam
06-03-08, 20:02
Easy, trade the Colt in on an H&K45C

:p

He's got a full size HK45.

Greg:
If you ask 10 people, they'll come up with 10 totally different guns. Build what you like and enjoy it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-03-08, 20:06
Sam,

Your Vickers 1911, how is it without the beavertail?

BTW, ignore JS, he is a well-meaning goofus.

Sam
06-04-08, 04:53
Sam,

Your Vickers 1911, how is it without the beavertail?

Greg:

Larry dehorned the grip frame area and the grip safety, so the gun is comfortable to shoot. The frame/safety/hammer on this gun doesn't bite my hand. I've shot it in a few classes.

Good luck.

John_Wayne777
06-04-08, 06:45
This is a carry handgun, with function being the foremost consideration. Here are my thoughts...

I'm not a 1911 guru (there are several here) but I'll tell you what I think based on my experience with the 1911:

I wouldn't ever have a modification done that disables the grip safety on the 1911 unless I was just completely unable to de-activate it under stress and I was forced to carry the 1911 as my sidearm.

2. Dehorn

Nice, but not necessary. I've carried non de-horned 1911's for a long time without issue. If you use the right holster they are comfortable. If budget is a concern, skip the dehorning.

3. Checkering

Skip it. My pet 1911 has a checkered front strap and I loathe it. It doesn't really help you to hold on to a weapon, but it will serve to shred your skin if you take the 1911 through a training course that you fire at least 500 rounds in.

A good idea.

I'm not fond of Novak's rear sights. They are next to useless for one handed malfunction clearance, and I think their notch is too narrow. My pet 1911 has the Novaks, but I'd prefer something different.

6. 10-8/vickers trigger

If it's the right length for you, it sounds like a good option.

7. Solder on plunger

I've not had a properly staked plunger tube come loose on me, but that's just my experience with a relatively small sample size.

8 reliability job

Cheap insurance....but if you have a load that you want to use in the weapon I'd suggest letting the folks you are paying to work on the gun know.

9. Reblue or black-t

I prefer bluing, myself....simply because it's an easy finish to have done over again. If corrosion protection is important to you, go with the black-T finish.

the1911fan
06-04-08, 09:54
Guys,

I have a series 70 1911 that I am about to ship to Novak's for a custom job. I will post the results of this little project here. I want to hear from you guys on what you think I should have done. This is a carry handgun, with function being the foremost consideration. Here are my thoughts...

2. Dehorn
3. Checkering
6. 10-8/vickers trigger
7. Solder on plunger
8 reliability job
9. Reblue or black-t

Gimmie your thoughts.

I'd get Novaks Bureau Pkg. and get the fronstrap stippled instead of checkered (little less $$ and easier on the hands) and plain rear sight instead of night sight rear (should be a little less $$). I'd pass on the Answer.

http://www.novaksights.com/novak_custom%20guns%20for%20sale.htm#1911_FBI_Spec_

Perryguy
06-05-08, 09:22
If you are going to go with checkering on the front strap and mainspring housing, try and hold a few with different lpi's. I happen to like 20 lpi checkering but some people find it to aggresive (read painful with prolonged shooting!).

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-05-08, 11:51
I run 25 dpi on my current one and it is pretty rough.

mayonaise
06-06-08, 15:57
Like SAM said you'll get as many opinions as the number of people you ask.

I have two 1911's with 25LPI checkering and I love them. I've shot them in several classes with high round counts with no problem at all. Any custom or semi custom 1911 of mine will have checkering or something on the front strap. Cheaper to do that when the gun's in the smith's hands than after the fact. Make that choice wisely now IMO. 30LPI is worthless IMO and 20LPI is too much (for my Palmolive soft hands).

Some folks want magwells and it's the same deal. do it now so you don't have the expense of refinishing the gun twice if you have the inkling.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the gun whatever you decide.

Perryguy
06-06-08, 16:15
The 20lpi comes in pretty handy (no pun intended) on hot days when you are sweating. Keeps that 45 from jumping around too much and with enough rounds down range, your hands get used to being abraded.

ToddG
06-06-08, 20:23
It is my considered opinion that men who prefer 20lpi checkering also like their wives to tie them up and spank them. :p

I spent about a month last year helping out an agency with some weapon evaluations. 2-3 days per week I was shooting 500-1,000 rounds per day through 1911's with 20lpi checkering. After the first day, my hands were hamburger. I wore gloves the rest of the time.

Shooting 500-1,000 rounds a day is nothing unusual for me, but that checkering was a killer. I'm not saying it doesn't work, and most people won't shoot that much in a day, but ... owie.