PDA

View Full Version : Slowly adjusting to my new rifle... Any suggestions?

Wally126
05-26-14, 04:19
Hi all

I've not long ago (2 months) purchased a new AR-15 straight pull rifle.

I've sorted my scope problem, kinda, but there are a few more AR related questions... My AR is setup with a Harris bipod and moderator with a viper 6-24x optic.

I've spent the last 20 years firing a bullpup layout rifle and its taking a lot of adjustment to fire a standard "rear pistol grip" rifle. As I set myself up I carry out my usual positional build up of deep breaths to ensure the graticle travels straight up n down, lay the cross hair on my point of aim, close my eyes and take a few more breaths - opening my eyes to see that the grat and my point of aim are still aligned.

This all works fine without my right hand on the pistol grip. As soon as I place it on there the grat starts traveling from about 7 to 1 o'clock ish with a bit of wobble in between. I don't usually have my left hand on the rifle when I fire with a bipod but that just makes the movement worse.

Secondly im not really liking the feel of the magpul CTR stock in the shoulder, it feels to "straight or hard" - may sound odd but that's all I can say to explain it. It feels like it needs to be more curved or something to sit in the shoulder better. I also find that I'm tending to press my cheek against the stock rather than resting it on there gently.

Any ideas or suggestions guys?

Thanks very much.

rcoodyar15
05-26-14, 07:39
One thing very different about an ar is the stock is straight. All other guns have about an inch and a half of drop in the stock. That is why ar scope mounts most have the scope mounted about an inch and a half above the receiver. The reason is the buffer tube is really an extension of the receiver and the bolt carrier travels straight back into it upon firing

LewP
05-26-14, 10:45
It sounds like you may not be loading the bipod enough to get it to settle. I think Snipershide has a youtube video demoing how to do it.

Regarding stocks, you'll just have to try a few to see what you like best. Some are angled, some are straight. It's hard to predict what will work best for you.

BufordTJustice
05-26-14, 13:21
May also want to try the magpul enhanced buttpad. It is softer and had a more pronounced curve to it.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk