PDA

View Full Version : M&P Shield 9mm GTG now?

ColdDeadHands
05-27-14, 00:53
I've read about the problems with the shields and wondered if S&W fixed them yet?

macnamara
05-27-14, 03:46
I purchased mine about 6 months ago and have had no issues with it (so far). The trigger is far better than my 2010 purchased M&P9 and it actually has a reset.

austinN4
05-27-14, 06:24
S&W video - how to inspect for proper trigger function

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsQWGS-P9Pk

Shiz
05-27-14, 07:13
I absolutely love mine. 0 problems with it.

signal4l
05-27-14, 09:42
I purchased mine in October of 2013. It has had about four malfunctions with aluminum cased Blazer ammo (FTE). I can't blame the gun for that. I shoot it as often as possible carry on a daily basis. Probably one of the better purchases I've made. I installed the Apex kit as well as Ameriglo green CAP sights.

Up1911fan
05-27-14, 10:06
I've also got a Shield with Ameriglo CAP's and a DCAEK. Its been a solid gun, only around 700 rounds so far.

RWCRaiden
05-27-14, 10:31
Purchased mine recently, and 0 issues. Very accurate, and reliable. Carry daily.

Doogledog
05-27-14, 12:09
I bought mine in late March and its been very reliable and accurate. I haven't made it my EDC yet but I'm certainly leaning toward it in this South Alabama heat.

TehLlama
05-27-14, 12:17
Mine's only at about 430 rounds, but it's been pretty solid so far. The white paint inserts on the rear sight both fell out, which I've been thrilled about, and it's been fine since.

C4IGrant
05-27-14, 14:08
I've read about the problems with the shields and wondered if S&W fixed them yet?

Can you elaborate about this "problem?"

C4

ColdDeadHands
05-27-14, 15:42
Failures to eject

C4IGrant
05-27-14, 15:48
Failures to eject

How many guns do you think this problem occurred in?

Did S&W come out and acknowledge a problem FTE??

C4

ColdDeadHands
05-27-14, 15:55
No idea, from what I read on this forum it is quite a few...

C4IGrant
05-27-14, 16:05
No idea, from what I read on this forum it is quite a few...

So we are probably talking about 5 pistols?

Do you know how many Shields S&W makes?

Point to all of this is there isn't a mass issue with the Shield. Every single mass produced pistol (especially ones where the manufacturer has less than $100 dollars in) is going to put out a few lemons.

We sell TONS of these pistols (404 last year alone). To date, we have had one go back to the factory for a SIGHT issue.

C4

ColdDeadHands
05-27-14, 17:32
So we are probably talking about 5 pistols?

Do you know how many Shields S&W makes?

Point to all of this is there isn't a mass issue with the Shield. Every single mass produced pistol (especially ones where the manufacturer has less than $100 dollars in) is going to put out a few lemons.

We sell TONS of these pistols (404 last year alone). To date, we have had one go back to the factory for a SIGHT issue.

C4

Sorry I stepped on your toes by trying to make an informed buying decision before I invest my hard earned cash into some handguns for my wife and me. But on the other hand I knew you would get offended the very moment I started this thread since you are an advisor to S&W.
I was asking about it because apparently there are some defective shields out there and S&W does not seem to be able to fix them. I love my M&P9 which hasn't had a single problem since the day I brought it home and now I'm looking to buy a smaller companion which I expect the same from.
Maybe I should wait for the Walther CCP or just get a PPS. Thanks for your clearly unbiased response.

ritepath
05-27-14, 17:40
Around 1k with my Shield (bought in Sept 14) many different types of ammo (HP and FMJ). My wife shot it for the first time yesterday, I was impressed with how well she was able to shoot it.

3 minutes on the worksharp on the trigger bar and there's zero of dreaded "grit" many whine about. Last Tuesday it managed to impress two XDS owners at the range, who thought for 389 it would be a hunk of junk one rung above a kel-tec.

For the money...I'm not sure it can be beat. Dead, Solid, Perfect...

ColdDeadHands
05-27-14, 17:50
Thanks ritepath. P.s. I love your signature!

ColdDeadHands
05-27-14, 17:52
I'll probably go for shields but will buy new in case there are any issues.

C4IGrant
05-27-14, 19:22
Sorry I stepped on your toes by trying to make an informed buying decision before I invest my hard earned cash into some handguns for my wife and me. But on the other hand I knew you would get offended the very moment I started this thread since you are an advisor to S&W.
I was asking about it because apparently there are some defective shields out there and S&W does not seem to be able to fix them. I love my M&P9 which hasn't had a single problem since the day I brought it home and now I'm looking to buy a smaller companion which I expect the same from.
Maybe I should wait for the Walther CCP or just get a PPS. Thanks for your clearly unbiased response.

No one is the least bit offended. You are asking about wide spread issues when there isn't any.

Basing your opinion off of a hand full of guns is foolish on your part.
If we all did this, there would be NO guns to purchase.

No one has been harder on S&W than I. On top of this, I am constantly working to improve the product as well. If you think my opinion is biased, then so be it. The fact remains that I know more about the M&P than most anyone other dealer out there.

C4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RWH24
05-27-14, 19:24
Grant, Not unless he was meaning the recall S&W had on the Shield's?

ColdDeadHands
05-27-14, 20:27
No, I was specifically curious about the fte's

ColdDeadHands
05-27-14, 20:32
I know things get blown out of proportion in the internet, but the fact that shields can be finicky with certain brands of ammo remains so I was curious if they still can be or if s&w improved the extractor or chamber. I hope this clarifies my question and no, I'm not bashing.

SeriousStudent
05-27-14, 20:48

Enough of the injured tone. Your original post was open to clarification, and questions were asked.

Proceed with polite discourse if you desire the thread to continue.

ColdDeadHands
05-27-14, 20:53
Lol close it, I see how it is around here.

SeriousStudent
05-27-14, 21:19
Your wish is granted. You should go read your PM's as well.