PDA

View Full Version : Which 1 (1.25) - 4 (6) did you choose and why?

Bear1
05-27-14, 07:02
As title says

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airhasz
05-27-14, 07:14
Vortex pst 1-4 based on reviews and price.

elia.jon1
05-27-14, 07:56
Trijicon tr24, because of astigmatism and radiation :)

El Cid
05-27-14, 08:20
Swarovski Z6i, 1-6 w/ BRT reticle. The two most important factors for me were a true 1x at the lowest setting so I could use it as I would an Aimpoint; and a daytime bright illuminated dot. There was nothing else that even came close at the time. I had been waiting on the S&B 1-8, but it's still in the vaporware category 3 years later.

The FOV is unbelievable until you experience it. It has a memory that keeps a daytime setting for the dot, and a night time setting. The BRT reticle is essentially a mil-dot tree. It's lighter than most optics in the same category (including some 1-4's). I absolutely love the glass and was so impressed I picked up a 2nd one for my 7.62 rifle. I do get a LE price directly from Swarovski, but even at full price I'd consider it worth every dollar and would have bought it anyway.

MajorLonghorn
05-29-14, 11:19
I had a TR24 with a green triangle and a Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4, but I sold them both. I decided ACOGs worked better for me. I might pick up a PST 1-4 or something else in the future, especially if I get a Six8 at some point.

tgizzard
05-29-14, 11:35
Leupold Mark AR 1.5 - 4 (FireDot-G SPR model) Price point mainly. I picked it up for $425.00

jwfuhrman
05-29-14, 11:44
Nightforce NXS 1-4 with FC-3G reticle

taliv
05-29-14, 15:01
my first was NF 1-4x which was a total abomination of an optic. got rid of it and replaced it with a swaro z6i 1-6x which was awesome except the illumination switch is a little too easy to accidentally turn on, and at the time, their reticle choices left a lot to be desired. they're better now though. i still have this optic and use it quite often, but then I got a vortex 1-6 HD which is just as good on glass with better knobs and reticle. a friend had to have it so i parted with it, which is why I'm still using the swaro. I'd definitely buy another though. Only downside to vortex HD was weight. it's way heavier than it looks. Finally, I bought a USO 1-8x which is better than the rest by a wide margin: better mag range, red-dot, reticle, weight, size, etc.

jukeboxx13
05-29-14, 15:14
Vortex pst 1-4 based on reviews and price.

+1 I got the capped version though.

PST reticle is pretty fine for precision shots at 300 yet big enough for fast shots under 25.

ETA: paid $400 for mine like new and not used at the range.

jukeboxx13
05-29-14, 15:26
Swarovski Z6i, 1-6 w/ BRT reticle. The two most important factors for me were a true 1x at the lowest setting so I could use it as I would an Aimpoint; and a daytime bright illuminated dot. There was nothing else that even came close at the time. I had been waiting on the S&B 1-8, but it's still in the vaporware category 3 years later.

The FOV is unbelievable until you experience it. It has a memory that keeps a daytime setting for the dot, and a night time setting. The BRT reticle is essentially a mil-dot tree. It's lighter than most optics in the same category (including some 1-4's). I absolutely love the glass and was so impressed I picked up a 2nd one for my 7.62 rifle. I do get a LE price directly from Swarovski, but even at full price I'd consider it worth every dollar and would have bought it anyway.

Just check the specs and it is light for power range.

B Cart
05-29-14, 17:57
I use the Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS gen2. I chose it for the ACSS reticle and price. The ACSS reticle has BDC hashes out 800 yards, calibrated for M855 and M193, and I've found them to be dead on. I've been able to make quick effective hits on target out to 900 yards with it, and it has pretty good glass and daylight bright illumination. All of this in a good quality scope for a tiny fraction of the cost of many of the others out there. It may not be in the same category as the Vortex HD, Leupold Mk8 CQBSS, S&B, etc, but it's a hell of a scope for what you pay.

SpyderMan2k4
05-29-14, 19:28
TR24 with green triangle. Everything I read sounded great. It's on a "jack of all trades," "shtf" build, so the low powered variable was definitely something I was looking for. Trijicons reputation and quality paired with no battery illumination really had me sold. That and when I bought it I worked for a retailer and was able to get 50% off, so there's that.

seb5
05-31-14, 14:56
The list is long and mostly either disappointing or a question of expecting too much from ONE optic. NF 1-4 with FC2, SS 1-4, several Nikons, Burris's, and Leupolds. What I ended up with as my only 1-4 is the Trijicon TR-24. For my uses it's the best compromise. It retains CQB useability and is great for me to about 300 realistically, 400 isn't too much of a strtetch, which is fine for a carbine. For longer range I've got 3 higher powered NightForces and they shine for their purpose. For minute of steel obviously the TR-24 can reach out further but to me it's still really a 300 yard optimum optic with the green triangle.

YVK
05-31-14, 16:39
Nightforce NXS 1-4 with FC-3G reticle

How do you like it?

Obscenejesster
05-31-14, 21:56
SWFA SS 1x6.

1. It has the best FFP reticle on any of the Low Powered Variables.

2. Its built like a tank.

3. The glass is on par with scopes in the $1500 range.

4. I got it on a 1 day Tax Day sale for $800

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Koshinn
06-01-14, 02:48
Leupold Mk8 1.1-8 H27D.

It's on my Noveske Recon right now, and as it's more of a long range rifle, I like the horus reticle. For distance.

Dialing down to 1x, the illumination is daylight bright and easy to pick up when illuminated. Only 5 downsides to it: it's expensive, it's heavy, short battery life, strange illumination eyebox, and the reticle isn't usable at 1x without illumination.

Literally everything else about it is the best money can buy as far as I can tell.

Korgs130
06-01-14, 11:28
SWFA SS 1-4

1. FFP
2. T Post reticle
3. Day light bright illumination
4. Price for all of the above

GH41
06-01-14, 14:06
VX-R Patrol. I like the simple SPR reticle and very light weight. I wish they would build a fixed 4 power version. GH

LewP
06-01-14, 15:18
Leupold Mark AR 1.5x-4x here. No illumination but only one pound of additional weight for scope plus Leupold QD mount. Relatively low-cost for decent glass. As stated above the SPR reticle is easy to use. Love the big center circle but I wish the major horizontal and vertical stadia were thinner in the center for more aiming precision.

Voodoo_Man
06-01-14, 15:47
leupold vx-r patrol, my review = http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/10/leupold-vx-r-patrol-125-4x20-firedot-on.html

I have since sold it and am temporarily going to run a USO 1-8x. Then I'll get a 1-6x of some sort, probably leupold multigun.

GH41
06-01-14, 16:31
leupold vx-r patrol, my review = http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/10/leupold-vx-r-patrol-125-4x20-firedot-on.html

I have since sold it and am temporarily going to run a USO 1-8x. Then I'll get a 1-6x of some sort, probably leupold multigun.

I read your review. What parallax adjustment did you tape up??? GH

Voodoo_Man
06-01-14, 16:58
I read your review. What parallax adjustment did you tape up??? GH

I don't know exactly what the setting was, but it was Benny Cooley's idea. He put a piece of tape over the ring during a class. I took it off later since nothing on the optic really move on its own.

HKGuns
06-01-14, 18:33
The one attached to this rifle, price was very reasonable for the high quality glass and it is small and light. The fire dot is daylight useful and it generally works quite well.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v111/p1850174572-4.jpg

steyrman13
06-01-14, 20:57

Why would you choose the 1-6 Over the USO 1-8? Weight?

Voodoo_Man
06-01-14, 21:01
Why would you choose the 1-6 Over the USO 1-8? Weight?

1-8x is overkill.

I simply do not need it on an SR15.

andy t
06-01-14, 21:24
Leupold MK6 1-6. I like Leupold and "mil-spec" optics - this was the primary criteria. I do have to say that FFP may be less than desirable in scopes of this class, as it's difficult to use it on the first half of the magnification range.

Obscenejesster
06-03-14, 15:33
Leupold MK6 1-6. I like Leupold and "mil-spec" optics - this was the primary criteria. I do have to say that FFP may be less than desirable in scopes of this class, as it's difficult to use it on the first half of the magnification range.

I have a SWFA SS 1x6 that is FFP and the reticle is designed perfect for it if you're using it on 1, 5 and 6 but everything in between is cluttered. For my use though this is perfectly fine since I find myself either using 1 or 6 all of the time. I've never felt the need to use the other magnification powers.

When SWFA designed the 1x4 and 1x6 they knew FFP wasn't needed on a low powered variable but they also knew they had to use it for the reticle they had in mind. As far as low powered variables go, the reticle SWFA designed is easily one of the best in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ccoker
06-10-14, 11:23
I run a Steiner Military 1-5 on my 3 gun rig and I absolutely love it..
- Outstanding glass
- 1 MOA (at 5x) center dot that can be set VERY bright or turned down to NVG compatible levels low enough to hunt with in extremely low light
- BDC reticle that works great out to 500 yards
- very large field of view and very, very easy to "get behind"

Awesome scope
http://tacticalgunreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/3gun-rifle-up-close1.jpg

jwfuhrman
06-10-14, 11:36
How do you like it?

Only dislike is it's not available in 1-6