PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 mods

mysak
05-27-14, 21:27
Looking to put a RMR on a Glock 19 gen 4 and also install a barrel, grip job, trigger job. Any recommendations of who to look into and as far trigger job and barrel any ideas of what is a good way to go?

travward89
05-27-14, 21:31
Atei for slide work, sweaty muddy bloody for grip work (same building as Atei), kkm drop in barrel has worked great in my 19, trigger work is really particular to the shooter.

mysak
05-27-14, 21:43
I have a Salient and a ATEi I like both but 1800 bucks wont get you all that work done from Salient more like 2500 bucks and thats providing the gun and RMR.

MSparks909
05-27-14, 22:34
Looking to put a RMR on a Glock 19 gen 4 and also install a barrel, grip job, trigger job. Any recommendations of who to look into and as far trigger job and barrel any ideas of what is a good way to go?

Is this for a carry gun or a range/competition gun?

Also look at L&M Precision for slide work. Probably sending my 34 there to have an RMR installed in the next month or two.

I've heard KKM Barrels will shrink the group size roughly in half compared to a worn in factory barrel. Read that in an AAR of a Kyle Defoor handgun class (Kyle was running a KKM barreled 19 in that particular AAR). No personal experience with them though. I had a Lone Wolf...and sold it because the chamber was too tight and cases failed to eject. Storm Lake and Bar-Sto also make barrels. I would personally go with a Bar-Sto or KKM.

I have a GlockTrigger Vogel in my 34. Much smoother than stock. May add a titanium or lightened steel striker to enhance reliability with a lighter striker spring. The Glockworx Guardian is similar to the Vogel except it uses the factory striker spring weight and over travel is not adjustable. Zev also makes some trigger kits as well as Vanek.

mysak
05-27-14, 22:40
It's going to be a carry gun and I have been leaning towards a KKM barrel. Someone referred me to the Skimmer Trigger said they were nice but I don't have any hands on time with it.

MSparks909
05-27-14, 22:49
It's going to be a carry gun and I have been leaning towards a KKM barrel. Someone referred me to the Skimmer Trigger said they were nice but I don't have any hands on time with it.

I encourage you to research the Skimmer further; It disables the drop safety (even though the website states it doesn't). There are YouTube drop tests of Glocks with the Skimmer installed that show the striker releasing when dropped. One reason I like my GlockTriggers kit it that it uses factory components that haven't been modified (aside from the over travel adjustment on my particular kit) and all 3 of my safeties are still functional.

If you have any good gunsmiths around or are handy with tools, consider the gunsmith fit KKM over the drop in. You can get arguably more accuracy out of the gunsmith fit due to a tighter lock up compared to the drop in. Both however are tighter than factory with tighter chambers.

mysak
05-27-14, 22:59
I thought the skimmer was from glock triggers and that was the attractive part

MSparks909
05-27-14, 23:12
I thought the skimmer was from glock triggers and that was the attractive part

I feel like an idiot. Totally overlooked that. I knew that Travis Haley "came up with" the Skimmer. Forgot who made it. My apologies...the issues with the Skimmer is that it has been modified to reduce the pre-travel. This modification negates the drop safety. If you're going with GlockTriggers go with the Guardian.

mysak
05-27-14, 23:36
Got it thanks I'll look into it! have any experience with ZEVTECH?

MSparks909
05-28-14, 06:30

I've read positive reviews but have no direct experience with Zev.

Voodoo_Man
05-28-14, 06:55
Getting my g19 slide back from one source this week, will post results.

As for trigger job, etc...depends on what you need and how much you are willing to spend. Plenty of no name guys who can do awesome around.

Trajan
05-28-14, 07:22

I do. It's like a 1911/Apex FSS trigger. It's really nice.

drtywk
05-28-14, 11:14
I am a nobody, but here are some thoughts:

For slide work, ATEi or L&M. L&M did my 17 slide and I would definitely send more work his way. No experience with ATEi, but people swear by his work as well.

There are a number of good places to get a grip job, but there are some hefty lead times at most of the popular ones, so keep that in mind or have a back up gun to tide you over until the new one is completed. Not in any particular order, but I would recommend Cold Bore Customs and Boresight Solutions without hesitation, as well as Don Ellis from TGG Inc., www.tggincorporated.com. He does great work and also does trigger work using factory parts. He is local to me and my friend Darryl Bolke, aka DB, swears by his work.

As far as barrels go, I run factory barrels in all my carry guns. If I were going to go aftermarket, KKM is the way I would go.

turnburglar
05-28-14, 14:45
Not to be the antagonists here, but why would you spend all that money and do all that work for a carry gun? I totally get in a competition all bets are off when it comes to dollars and inches, ounces and moa. But for a carry gun? I'd rather not get into the unknowns reliability wise with match chambers and modified triggers that won't make me a definitively better shooter at 3 yards and less in low light. (where most shootings occur)

mysak
05-28-14, 14:53
because I want to and I have shot plenty of modified guns including my own and if done correctly I have found 0 reliability issues.

Wolvee
05-28-14, 15:53
ATEi is the only one I trust my guns with.

Stengun
05-28-14, 18:57
Howdy,

Not to be the antagonists here, but why would you spend all that money and do all that work for a carry gun? I totally get in a competition all bets are off when it comes to dollars and inches, ounces and moa. But for a carry gun? I'd rather not get into the unknowns reliability wise with match chambers and modified triggers that won't make me a definitively better shooter at 3 yards and less in low light. (where most shootings occur)

+1!

I see people post about their Glock saying: "I fired +2,000 rounds through my Glock without a hiccup and then I modified ____________ ( fill in the black with your mod of choice ) and now my Glock __________ ( fill in your hiccup of choice ) every _____ number of rounds. How do I solve this problem?"

Me "Unmodified whatever you modified and the problem will go away."

Paul

ptmccain
05-28-14, 19:47
FWIW...I did a lot of mods to my G34, chief of which was a milled slide and RMR. I went ahead and purchased a pre-milled slide from One Source, and installed my Trijicon RMR on it, could not be happier with it.

I used a Dremel and did my own trigger guard modification.

I put a Zevtech trigger system it and really enjoy it.

No malfunctions. No problems.

MSteele
05-28-14, 19:49
Boresight and ATEI get my vote but turn around is long. A lot of local smiths can get the work done some in the same week. My carry Glock 19 has a Glockmeister tungsten guide rod, Trijicon HD night sights, Vickers ext slide release and mag, custom trigger job (all factory parts) from local smith, KKM barrel and I stippled it myself with undercuts on the trigger guard for a higher grip placement. It's reliable no issues at all and a tack driver. Sights and the barrel are simple upgrades that really do help, for me anyways. I doubted the KKM but it really does improve your groups plus I reload ammo.

mysak
05-29-14, 10:16
I'm in between ATEi and ZEV TECH for pretty much the same price zev tech will give me a complete slide so
I'll still have an unmodified slide which is attractive option.

drtywk
05-29-14, 13:48
I'm in between ATEi and ZEV TECH for pretty much the same price zev tech will give me a complete slide so
I'll still have an unmodified slide which is attractive option.

If you are considering a new slide, don't overlook the G19 ATOM slide from Unity Tactical.

Voodoo_Man
05-29-14, 15:12
Figured this would be a good thread for this write up - my experience/process w/ One Source for my G19 RMR milling - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2014/05/glock-19-rmr-process.html#more

http://i.imgur.com/uSQxpG6.jpg

mysak
05-30-14, 00:26
Only problem is the only atom slides I've seen have the rear sight in the front and I'm nit a fan I'd prefer it in the rear thanks for the suggestion though.

Also great review to the point that's the only thing I'm not sure how much I'll gain from the rmr but I really want to give it a shot

Voodoo_Man
05-30-14, 04:55
Only problem is the only atom slides I've seen have the rear sight in the front and I'm nit a fan I'd prefer it in the rear thanks for the suggestion though.

Also great review to the point that's the only thing I'm not sure how much I'll gain from the rmr but I really want to give it a shot

Cant really make any tangible statements to its effectiveness, I just haven't ran it long enough.

The review was for the process of getting it milled.

I can get into detail why I went with the triangle rmr and the irons, if you are interested.

themonk
05-30-14, 06:58
Atei for slide work, sweaty muddy bloody for grip work (same building as Atei), kkm drop in barrel has worked great in my 19, trigger work is really particular to the shooter. If you're willing to dump $1,800 into your glock, send it to Salient Arms International and have them work over the whole gun.

^^This. I have been very happy with the work done to my 19 by ATEi. I run a KKM barrel and the RM02 RMR. Check out Chris Costas youtube channel as he just did a good multipart series on RMR equipped handguns.

teutonicpolymer
05-30-14, 13:21
I have seen no need to buy aftermarket barrels

At the end of the day all the Glock barrels I have used will shoot some loads amazingly and some loads horribly

I do not think it would be any different with an aftermarket barrel so I have not bought one

themonk
05-30-14, 13:39
I have seen improvement in accuracy from my KKM barrel on my Glock 19

BioLayne
05-30-14, 13:59

I don't get this logic. if the gun makes you a better shooter overall and is more ergonomic and easy to use, why would it not be better for self defense?

teutonicpolymer
05-30-14, 14:16
I don't get this logic. if the gun makes you a better shooter overall and is more ergonomic and easy to use, why would it not be better for self defense?

I don't think it is black and white

I agree some things are definitely worth it:
-grip plug to keep dirt out and to aid in reloads
-sights (obvious upgrade)
-extended mag release if needed
-grip tape or stippling

Other things, I am not sold on like:
-barrels, ignoring reliability it is still an expensive upgrade for dubious benefit. I am quite satisfied with my groups at 25 yards with stock barrels so I do not see a point in upgrading
-trigger systems or reduced power springs, as I like the Glock OEM connectors (#5.5, #4.5, and the dot connector are good by me), I do not want light strikes, and some trigger systems disable the Glock safeties

themonk
05-30-14, 14:35
-barrels, ignoring reliability it is still an expensive upgrade for dubious benefit. I am quite satisfied with my groups at 25 yards with stock barrels so I do not see a point in upgrading
-trigger systems or reduced power springs, as I like the Glock OEM connectors (#5.5, #4.5, and the dot connector are good by me), I do not want light strikes, and some trigger systems disable the Glock safeties

I had 30k through my 19 barrel and my groups were starting to open up. I decided to try out the KKM and my groups are tighter and I have seen ZERO reliability issues after swapping to the KKM.

I agree with your trigger systems comment but you can get triggers from manufactures that only use GLOCK OEM parts which generally equates to the same level of reliability. I personally shoot 2k rounds through my pistol without cleaning to verify reliability of any new part or change before carrying with that added component. ATEi, KKM, and GLOCK Triggers have all been stellar with passing that test. You milage may vary.

DireWulf
05-31-14, 10:53
I don't think it is black and white

I have thousands of rounds through my G19 KKM barrels. They are in my duty weapon/concealed carry gun and the gun I teach classes with. I have had zero issues and my groups at 50 yards are in the 4 inch range. Easily enough to score "A" zone hits. KKM barrels are one of the best kept secrets for improving your Glock's accuracy without a compromise in reliability. I agree with guys like Kyle Defoor in that a handgun should not be thought of as a 25 yard and less gun. For a bit more than $150 you can drastically increase the effective range of your gun. Never a bad thing.

themonk
05-31-14, 11:02
I have thousands of rounds through my G19 KKM barrels. They are in my duty weapon/concealed carry gun and the gun I teach classes with. I have had zero issues and my groups at 50 yards are in the 4 inch range. Easily enough to score "A" zone hits. KKM barrels are one of the best kept secrets for improving your Glock's accuracy without a compromise in reliability. I agree with guys like Kyle Defoor in that a handgun should not be thought of as a 25 yard and less gun. For a bit more than $150 you can drastically increase the effective range of your gun. Never a bad thing.

Completely agree!

teutonicpolymer
05-31-14, 12:33

I totally agree with training longer ranges with a pistol. I also do not doubt that a new barrel can increase accuracy. In the past I had considered getting KKM, Bar-Sto, or Briley barrels but did not think it would be worth it for me since I was already getting consistent 5" groups at 50 yards with a 19 and getting reliable hits on an IPSC steel target at 150 meters, all while using cheap 115 gr fmj ammo.

If a barrel is not giving groups that a person finds acceptable I think it makes a lot sense to buy an aftermarket one like KKM, especially since the Glock OEM barrels cost roughly the same. This is assuming the current barrel is shot out or has proven to be poor at grouping with different ammos.

mysak
06-02-14, 23:39
GLOCKTRIGGERS skimmer trigger or ZEVTECH fulcrum trigger what say ye?

travward89
06-03-14, 08:58
That's really up to you on how you feel about "compromising" the drop safety. I have talked to the guys over at GLOCKTRIGGERS and they assured me it was not an issue. With that said the skimmer is the best glock trigger I've used (I have not tried the fulcrum). The skimmer has minimal take up, a solid wall, crisp break, and a nice reset. I highly recommend the skimmer but also understand why people have issues with it or are skeptical. Hope this helps. Good luck.

mysak
06-03-14, 14:04
Will a gen 3 trigger kit fit in a gen 4 or vise versa?

travward89
06-03-14, 14:27
I'm pretty sure the housing was different between the 2. I know for the skimmers they ask you to specify if it is for a gen 3 or gen 4 so I'm assuming they are not interchangeable.

mysak
06-03-14, 18:35
glock triggers is doint 20% off so I ordered one, thanks for the input!

birdkiller
06-03-14, 20:08
Would you be able to share that 20% off code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mysak
06-03-14, 20:50
down20

It ends today though :-)

mysak
06-04-14, 14:39
I was thinking about doing the RMR but I may hold off until my mind is made up so to go along with glocktriggers kit i was thinking of sights and I am interested in the Vickers/Wilson Combat Glock sights any experience with these? I already run fiber optic fronts and black rears so they seem like a good choice and are similar to the 1911 sights Wilson Combat offers that I have on my 1911 already.

birdkiller
06-04-14, 14:54
I've only shot the 1911 sights, but I really liked them. I'm considering them for my next Glock, and sight commonality between your guns is never a bad thing. One other thing though, depending on the fiber front you are using, you may want to check out 10-8's front sight. I have a Dawson front fiber that has been having problems with breaking tubes because it isn't very well protected like the 10-8. Something to look at.

mysak
06-04-14, 14:56
Ok thanks I have 10-8, warren tactical, and the Wilson fiber optics they have all held up well.

teutonicpolymer
06-04-14, 15:05
Sights are highly personal choices. I am not a u-notch guy so I will not comment on that. The half serrated half non-serrated concave rear seems a little strange to me though.

One thing to note about fiber sights is that the more you protect them the dimmer they become. I have a few Dawson fronts on different things and they have stood up very well and work very well for me. One has been used for 6+ years with the same fiber rod (I should honestly change it since it has become a little dirty).

I like the Dawson sights a lot, the only other fiber sights I personally would like to try would probably be the TTI ones.

mysak
06-04-14, 16:13
I ordered them if i dont like them I can always sell them im sure

birdkiller
06-04-14, 17:21
I guess the Dawson's durability depends on use. I'm pretty harsh on the gun they're on, and I'm mostly using a Safariland ALS, which the front catches on sometimes.

teutonicpolymer
06-04-14, 17:31
I guess the Dawson's durability depends on use. I'm pretty harsh on the gun they're on, and I'm mostly using a Safariland ALS, which the front catches on sometimes.

One of the newer ones goes in an ALS and I have the same issue, the front sight which is .230" tall does not have that much clearance so I am a little careful with reholstering.

birdkiller
06-04-14, 19:56
Yup, same height in mine. It's on a Glock 34, so the front is a little taller. I ended up filing/drilling the ALS mechanism to make a relief for the sight. Eventually with enough draws your sight starts contacting the metal in the mechanism, making your options replacing the mechanism, of doing what I mentioned above. Good luck with it. It's a great holster.

bighawk
06-04-14, 20:59
Just got my slide back from Mod 1 Firearms it's awesome.. Forward cocking serrations added, barrel titanium nitride coated, RB1/10-8 sights installed and black cerakote. Well worth the wait and price. Grip work was done by tactical texture and triggers and is just as good as any other professional grip work I've laid my hands on. I highly recommend both companies. Their customer service and work are both top notch.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/ere9a4yj.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/asymehyb.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/nabeqyze.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/jyquhesa.jpg http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/agabu8eq.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/8uvu6u9a.jpg

mysak
06-05-14, 00:04
Very nice, what was the cost and break down turn around time? If you don't mind me asking

bighawk
06-05-14, 00:13
The 10-8/RB1 sights, slide work and barrel work was about $350 with around a 4 week turnaround and the grip work and trigger work was about $350 with about 2 week turnaround time. With maybe another $40-$50 shipping them out for the work.

Averageman
06-05-14, 13:11
I own three Glocks, two G17's and one G26.
I've stippled two a G17 and the G26, to me that feels and operates best in my hand. Try it, you might really like it.
I've done trigger work on all three and and will do the same if I ever purchase another.
I had One Source cut a slide for me and add an RMR, would I do that again? I might, but perhaps not on another G17, I think it's best application might be served on a G19 as the added size overall just makes it a but bulky. Is it effective, very much so and I don't think the learning curve is too much on it either.
You have a very generic pistol when you buy a Glock, making it fit you with little mods along the way and trying other peoples mods is the only way to get what works exactly right for you.
Step at a time and dont change anything you cant immeadiatly change back and try what someone else has already done to their gun and you'll be fine.
I'm a little surprised when folks take these things to heart to the point of anything you do to modify a Glock is near sacreligous.