PDA

View Full Version : You can still find gems.

Belmont31R
05-28-14, 01:44
Meet the Swingline 747. We've battled cheap plastic staplers at home for years. One would work for 5 months and quit. Always felt like junk.

The 747 is something you can knock someone out with. No more plastic or trying to staple a packet only to discover your plastic POS won't cut it.

And Costco has them for less than $12. Less than Amazon Prime.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/dyqavamy.jpg

C-grunt
05-28-14, 01:48
Didn't know you were a stapler collector.

C-grunt
05-28-14, 01:53
Office Space Milton stapler original: http://youtu.be/Vd4fj9Efl4s

Belmont31R
05-28-14, 02:00
I knew the jokes would come. You'll still get one. I've envied a nice metal stapler you can trust. The 747 is it. 15 pages are a breeze. It laughs at 15 pages.

SteyrAUG
05-28-14, 02:34
But is it available in red?

3 AE
05-28-14, 02:46
Haven't become one with the #747, but on the ship I'm working on, we're using the U.S. Made Swingline #94-41 and it's good to go up to 20 sheets. BUT, and I know you shouldn't start a sentence with BUT, but if you want to put the fear of God into a stack of papers, we use the Swingline Model #90010. This badboy will make 20-120 sheets piss in their pants when you put the hammer down. It's our go to stapler when you absolutely, positively, have to bind a book the old fashion way! God, how I love manual, mechanical advantage to get the job done. I believe they use this stapler in third world countries to attach corrugated roofing prior to and after a typhoon! :lol:

http://www.webofficemart.com/Products/LightTouch-Heavy-Duty-Stapler--120-Sheet-Capacity--BlackGray__SWI90010.aspx?ref=google&source=google&utm_medium=shopping_engine&utm_source=google&mkwid=O78pouv1&pcrid=25412386389&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping_engine

3 AE
05-28-14, 03:00

Why, yes it does!

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/office-school-supply/stapler-and-staples/office-staplers/business-stapler-20-sheet-210-staple-capacity-red?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CKmvq_2Szr4CFQhafgoduCEAzw&gclsrc=aw.ds

streck
05-28-14, 07:26
I have one at the house and a plastic Swingline 646 at work. I won't give a co worker an opportunity to steal the 747. Sitting next to the 646 is a high capacity 77701 that I use to beat the shit out of stapler thieves.

I am a machine geek and can appreciate a good stapler just like a good German gun....

Belmont31R
05-28-14, 09:42

Yes. On amazon with prime.

Ick
05-28-14, 10:05
Interesting topic. I recently purchased a #747 after being disappointed by the #8784x and "PaperPro one finger".

These new plastic "assisting" staplers seem to only excel on a mid-range quantity of paper. They seem to work fine at first but eventually start to mutilate and over-puncture when stapling only a few pages. They also seem to begin to fail at 20+ pages even though they are rated for more than 20.

After using the #747 it does "earn" all the positive reviews I found of it. I DO continue to find myself UNSATISFIED by my stapling experience. I am unable to replicate my office stapler experience from 20 years ago. In those days I rarely remember such trouble with a consistent predictable results. Things just seemed to work better then, and we are talking massive quantities of paper in the 80s and 90s.

Alas, I suspect I know the source of my deteriorating experience: The quality of staples.

Unfortunately I don't have an old pack of staples to compare, but it sure seems to me that a thinner staple and a lower-grade metal contribute to the stapler woes.

Agreed? Fortunately as time progresses a stapler becomes less and less important in a paperless world.

Looking for metallurgical view of things here.

Belmont31R
05-28-14, 10:12
Interesting topic. I recently purchased a #747 after being disappointed by the #8784x and "PaperPro one finger".

These new plastic "assisting" staplers seem to only excel on a mid-range quantity of paper. They seem to work fine at first but eventually start to mutilate and over-puncture when stapling only a few pages. They also seem to begin to fail at 20+ pages even though they are rated for more than 20.

After using the #747 it does "earn" all the positive reviews I found of it. I DO continue to find myself UNSATISFIED by my stapling experience. I am unable to replicate my office stapler experience from 20 years ago. In those days I rarely remember such trouble with a consistent predictable results. Things just seemed to work better then.

Alas, I suspect I know the source of my deteriorating experience.

The quality of staples.

Unfortunately I don't have an old pack of staples to compare, but it sure seems to me that a thinner staple and a lower-grade metal contribute to the stapler woes.

Agreed? Fortunately as time progresses a stapler becomes less and less important in a paperless world.

Looking for metallurgical view of things here.

They are kinda like pencils. 'Not the same as they used to be.' Have to find some of these and see if they work better. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003RL7RRS/ref=aw_cm_cr_asin_lnk

Edit: since I mentioned pencils... http://www.jetpens.com/Palomino-Blackwing-Pencil-602-Pack-of-12/pd/8117

markm
05-28-14, 12:40
Do they Melonite any of these?

Caeser25
05-28-14, 15:17

Is meloniting listed on "the chart"?

HD1911
05-28-14, 15:35
If it ain't double chrome lined like an M249 I don't want one.

Moose-Knuckle
05-28-14, 16:14
Yup, there are gems in the rough to be found, I recently acquired a few of these and they come in red too!

http://www.amazon.com/Made-USA-Can-Opener-Red/dp/B008UX068U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401311586&sr=8-2&keywords=made+in+usa+can+opener

They just don't make (even something as simple as a can opener) like this anymore.

C-grunt
05-28-14, 16:45
Only on M4C can you have a technical discussion about staplers.

SeriousStudent
05-28-14, 21:29
I have a red Swingline stapler on my desk at work. Tis' a noble device.

Jellybean
05-28-14, 22:28
I'm laughing my ass off over this thread.... because it's so timely.
We use staplers a TON where I work, packaging small individual packaging by hand (yes, it is actually as fun as it sounds... :p ), and after finally killing off one of our old metal Swinglines, we acquired some new walmart specials- one type is the (I'm guessing) assisted type- thing can't punch through two sheets of cardstock. :angry: It's ok on regular paper in small quantities though.
Then we got something that "looked" and operated kind of like a Swingline, which was promptly killed off in about two days- good ol' half plastic and MIC construction.
*Sigh*... the good ol' days of hardcore metal staplers are well and truly over, the last remnants of which for me only remain at my house in the form of some old 70's/80's era Swinglines. Currently rocking the oldschool 767, 711 (brown with "wood" trim of course) and 444.
The 444 is a beast! And by that I mean, if you think the 747 will knock someone out, you could replace your handgun with this thing for your bedside go-to defensive weapon... :D

Jellybean
05-28-14, 22:33

I thought NiB or NP3 would be the way to go for a such a hard use item, constantly exposed to all sorts of hand sweat and oils. :laugh:

Haven't become one with the #747, but on the ship I'm working on, we're using the U.S. Made Swingline #94-41 and it's good to go up to 20 sheets. BUT, and I know you shouldn't start a sentence with BUT, but if you want to put the fear of God into a stack of papers, we use the Swingline Model #90010. This badboy will make 20-120 sheets piss in their pants when you put the hammer down. It's our go to stapler when you absolutely, positively, have to bind a book the old fashion way! God, how I love manual, mechanical advantage to get the job done. I believe they use this stapler in third world countries to attach corrugated roofing prior to and after a typhoon!

http://www.webofficemart.com/Product...hopping_engine

On a side note, do NOT get the Swingline 390, which look similar but is a total POS. Feeding, stapling, jamming issues are all plentiful. Avoid.

Magic_Salad0892
05-29-14, 03:35
"Hey guys, remember that technical thread about staplers?"

Also, remember that somewhere, on some technical stapler forum, they're laughing at us.

yellowfin
05-29-14, 08:18
I think I'll pay extra attention at yard sales now.