PDA

View Full Version : Pants?

Mike Marley
05-28-14, 11:43
Hi guys:

I saw some people wearing tactical pants that had knee pads built into them. I was wondering where I could buy a good pair?

Are the knee pads on the pants, or are they added on to the pants?

Thanks.

Mike

Ttwwaack
05-28-14, 12:52
That's the 5.11 Alternative Lifestyle Active pants. LOL. Most pants with a double knee and an opening on the bottom can be stuffed with a pad. The biggest problem I find is finding thin enough closed cell foam with a high enough density to withstand the sharp.edges of crushed rock. Cut to fit roll up insert and flatten out.

If you or a friend has some sewing skills, you can open the bottom of the double knee about 2-3" in the center and re-sew/bartack the edge like Carhart does. Carhart makes a thin pad that can be I serted or hit the yellow pages for a foam shop in your local area. That will give you an opportunity to select the right thickness/density to suit your needs.

GTF425
05-28-14, 12:56
Hi guys:

I saw some people wearing tactical pants that had knee pads built into them. I was wondering where I could buy a good pair?

Are the knee pads on the pants, or are they added on to the pants?

Thanks.

Mike

Are you talking about something like this?

http://cryeprecision.com/P-APRCPE0232R/G3-Combat-Pant%E2%84%A2

Mike Marley
05-28-14, 13:09
Are you talking about something like this?

http://cryeprecision.com/P-APRCPE0232R/G3-Combat-Pant%E2%84%A2

Yes! That's exactly it. thanks!

WOW. EXPENSIVE.

slybarman
05-28-14, 13:17
$200 and you have to buy the knee pads separate. Ouch.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

Mike Marley
05-28-14, 14:00

No knee pads with this!? Deal breaker. lOL. I really don't see me dropping that money on pants that I will rip. I had no clue they were that much. I'll stick to my Blackhawks and knee pads.

Leaveammoforme
05-28-14, 14:32

At least they can be had in 46 short for no up charge. Lolz.

Mike Marley
05-28-14, 14:34
At least they can be had in 46 short for no up charge. Lolz.

LOL. Extra pockets for cheesesteaks.

dth4lf
05-31-14, 21:31
I did a search on here a bit ago regarding picking up some decent tactical cargo pants. Everyone seemed to really like the Vertx Phantom Lts. I ordered three pair from Atlantic Tactical:

https://www.atlantictactical.com/product/vertx-phantom-lt-mens-tactical-pant/trousers

I like them but beware, they run small. I'm typically a 32 waist, ordered 34x32s just to make sure I'd be okay, but even they were a bit small. Had to exchange them for 36x32s. I tried on some of my other 32 waist pants just to make sure I wasn't crazy.

So, great pants, just make sure you order a size or two bigger.

trinydex
06-02-14, 18:35
i would say that the phantom lts are not that great. they do not have the stretch that the rest of the vertx line has. they're also rip pretty easily, since there's no stretch the ripping is more prone to happen.

ptmccain
06-02-14, 19:24
FWIW, I've had much better success with Propper and TruSpec, and of course, Crye, than any of Blackhawk's clothing line.

Abraxas
06-02-14, 22:54
I like Vertex.

ggammell
06-02-14, 23:12
I think the OP was asking about a very specific model not asking a generic "who makes good pants" question.

ag08
06-02-14, 23:43
Triple Aught Design makes a pant called Force 10 RS Cargo Pant. They accept knee pads also sold by Triple Aught Design.

I do not have these particular pants but have a couple other styles and they are fantastic. Better than any other type of pant I have worn for hard work or manual labor.

SOW_0331
06-03-14, 01:19
I think the OP was asking about a very specific model not asking a generic "who makes good pants" question.

Yeah at first. Then he was shown the Crye pants and commented on the price. So some suggestions for good pants that don't cost half a grand are a pretty cool idea from everyone else.

Mike, they're pants dude. If you want to try some on to see how they fit, go to a Bass Pro or similar outdoor store and try some on. Squat really low to make sure you'll have flexibility for different positions. You can get some Columbia sport brand pants for like $35, you could buy ten pairs for less than a pair of Crye trousers.

GTF425
06-03-14, 01:49
Mike, they're pants dude. If you want to try some on to see how they fit, go to a Bass Pro or similar outdoor store and try some on. Squat really low to make sure you'll have flexibility for different positions. You can get some Columbia sport brand pants for like $35, you could buy ten pairs for less than a pair of Crye trousers.

Nailed it.

Emphasis on the bold. Too many people overlook that.

Moose-Knuckle
06-03-14, 19:38
Squat really low to make sure you'll have flexibility for different positions.

Yeah I have to purchase my britches with gusseted crotches other wise I'm singing soprano. Duluth Trading makes all their pants/shorts with ball room.

RWCRaiden
06-04-14, 19:10
I've had good luck with the 5.11 pants and Tru-Spec for work. I've tried propper and like their tactical pants, but the BDU's just blow out after a day of use for me.

dth4lf
06-05-14, 12:40
Triple Aught Design makes a pant called Force 10 RS Cargo Pant. They accept knee pads also sold by Triple Aught Design.

I do not have these particular pants but have a couple other styles and they are fantastic. Better than any other type of pant I have worn for hard work or manual labor.

I was looking at them. All of the TAD gear looks great, price point is the only issue imo. Still, if the pants cost $100+ but they hold up they're probably worth it.

The Vertx Lt pants seem to be working for me. The 36x32 size adjustment made a big difference. The waist band has elastic so it comes in to what would normally be a size 34 but expands a bit if necessary. This works great for me as it accommodates my IWB CCW holster when I'm carrying but shrinks back in against my waist when I'm not. I also really like the pocket configuration.... Of course, they're brand new so time will tell how well they hold up in the durability department.

plouffedaddy
01-11-15, 07:58
I was looking at them. All of the TAD gear looks great, price point is the only issue imo. Still, if the pants cost $100+ but they hold up they're probably worth it.

The Vertx Lt pants seem to be working for me. The 36x32 size adjustment made a big difference. The waist band has elastic so it comes in to what would normally be a size 34 but expands a bit if necessary. This works great for me as it accommodates my IWB CCW holster when I'm carrying but shrinks back in against my waist when I'm not. I also really like the pocket configuration.... Of course, they're brand new so time will tell how well they hold up in the durability department.

Link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LWZVCSQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00LWZVCSQ&linkCode=as2&tag=akarshoot-20&linkId=KSONY2ODMIGHRMYP)

The multicam Vertex pants are on sale for $54 shipped today so I figured I'd pass it along for those interested....