PDA

View Full Version : AR/M4 platform in PA

Mike Marley
05-28-14, 11:49
I just found out when I started shooting again that it's illegal in PA to hunt deer with an AR. My buddy said he thought you could hunt coyote with one though?

Anyone have and info on this rule?

nhskull21
05-28-14, 22:04
Dont think hunting with a semi is legal in pa. Take out the gas tube and you should be good unless you have a minium caliber requirement

Rob96
05-29-14, 03:28
As it stands right now semi auto rifles are not allowed. But, there is a state rep who has/will be introducing legislation to allow AR's for predators and varmints. Round count will be limited to one in the pipe and 5 in the mag.

Leaveammoforme
05-29-14, 03:34
Dont think hunting with a semi is legal in pa. Take out the gas tube and you should be good unless you have a minium caliber requirement

Take out the gas tube...and....
-or-
Take out the gas tube... period?

Mike Marley
05-29-14, 13:54
I just talked to my dad who is 73 and he told me that since he can remember semiauto rifles were not allowed in PA (to hunt). He said that's why he bought his (now very old) 22 in bolt action for hunting squirrels. He said no auto loaders, not even 22 were allowed. So, it's been the law for a long time. Kind of a bummer. I hope legislation is passed.

sewvacman
05-30-14, 07:26
Take out the gas tube...and....
-or-
Take out the gas tube... period?

Take out the gas tube period. It won't cycle after that.
Then take it to a Fish and Game guy and have him certify that it can no longer fire in semi-auto mode. Get a letter from them stating that fact, it will help you out in the field if another warden comes by asking questions. Max capacity is 3+1? if I remember correctly so you will need to modify a mag in such a way that it cannot be easily switched back out in the field. Do not take any un-modified mags with you or even leave one in the truck.

Unless you are ex-military and have only one arm/hand then no semi-auto's are allowed for hunting in PA.

Just recently took the hunters safety course here last year and had the same questions, but please verify everything with a game warden and for god sakes get names and phone numbers to back your ass up.

Or just buy a bolt/pump gun and be done with it. That's what I did.

Co-gnARR
06-05-14, 12:58
He said no auto loaders, not even 22 were allowed.
Apparently you can't even hunt squirrels with a 10/22 and a single shot mag in PA. I have not personally confirmed this but my step father has asked this question and was told "No" in no uncertain terms by a Fish and Game agent.

Berserkr556
09-11-14, 12:21
I've been hunting over in PA since I was 12 and every year since then and it's still no semi-auto firearms for hunting. I have last years regs right here.

PA PATRIOT
09-12-14, 10:51
No semi-auto center fire or rim fire firearm in any configuration can be used to hunt game in PA, Now one can hunt with a semi-auto shotgun which has the magazine blocked or plug to hold no more then three rounds. Even if you disable your AR to act as a single shot you still would be in violation of the game laws and most likely have the firearm confiscated and be fined a substantial amount of cash combined with a 5 to 10 year hunting license suspension .

Quick Draw
09-12-14, 20:43
Time to elect some new politicians.

And this is the state where the Liberty Bell is kept?

Inkslinger
09-12-14, 20:47
Also, I believe their is a minimum caliber of .243.

TommyG
09-13-14, 07:50
No semi-auto center fire or rim fire firearm in any configuration can be used to hunt game in PA, Now one can hunt with a semi-auto shotgun which has the magazine blocked or plug to hold no more then three rounds. Even if you disable your AR to act as a single shot you still would be in violation of the game laws and most likely have the firearm confiscated and be fined a substantial amount of cash combined with a 5 to 10 year hunting license suspension .

This. You will most likely kiss you rifle bye bye on the spot to be followed by significant follow on consequences. It would be fantastic to hunt with an AR in PA but not likely to be a reality anytime soon.

Aray
09-13-14, 08:30
Also, I believe their is a minimum caliber of .243.

Incorrect:

"General Statewide Seasons: (1) Manually operated center-fire rifles, handguns and shotguns with all-lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed to expand on impact; (2) muzzleloading long gun of any type or caliber; and (3) long, recurve or compound bows with a peak draw weight not less than 35 pounds, and crossbows with a draw weight of not less than 125 pounds, and not more than 200 pounds. Bowhunters must use arrows equipped with broadheads having an outside diameter of at least 7/8-inch with no less than two cutting edges, which shall be in the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface. Crossbow hunters may use bolts tipped with broadheads of cutting edge design. The use of buckshot is illegal, except in the Southeast Special Regulations Area."

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=591283&mode=2

SWIGIN
09-13-14, 09:27
I have been following this for a few weeks now and hope it passes.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/bill_history.cfm?syear=2013&sind=0&body=S&type=B&bn=1402

Voodoo_Man
09-13-14, 13:32
I have been following this for a few weeks now and hope it passes.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/bill_history.cfm?syear=2013&sind=0&body=S&type=B&bn=1402

Would be nice.

yellowfin
09-15-14, 14:59
This. You will most likely kiss you rifle bye bye on the spot to be followed by significant follow on consequences. It would be fantastic to hunt with an AR in PA but not likely to be a reality anytime soon.What do we keep doing wrong not getting results on this? I've been following the issue but keep seeing the legislators wimp out every time and there's no action from our side that amounts to anything, not even really trying.

yellowfin
09-15-14, 15:02
Time to elect some new politicians.Apparently changing the politicians hasn't accomplished much. What needs to change is how we influence their handlers. Apparently there is vast ineptitude on our side to get things done which isn't shared by other interests. Somehow construction companies, police supply vendors, municipal pension funds, etc. don't take "Well...maybe this year, we'll see...if they have time, but there's opposition..." for an answer, but for some reason we gun owners do. That's gotta change.

TommyG
09-16-14, 17:05
What do we keep doing wrong not getting results on this? I've been following the issue but keep seeing the legislators wimp out every time and there's no action from our side that amounts to anything, not even really trying.

Political capital is only available in finite quantities. This is not an issue that has enough interest to get legislators to expend that precious commodity. They have other priorities.

platoonDaddy
09-16-14, 17:21
I just talked to my dad who is 73 and he told me that since he can remember semiauto rifles were not allowed in PA (to hunt). He said that's why he bought his (now very old) 22 in bolt action for hunting squirrels. He said no auto loaders, not even 22 were allowed. So, it's been the law for a long time. Kind of a bummer. I hope legislation is passed.

Born and raised in Pa from my early days of hunting in the 50's, not only semi-auto rifles, but semi-auto shotguns for deer was and is still illegal.

Don't forget in-line ML's was illegal for years.

EDIT: Note my 1st semi-auto was a Remington 16 ga Sportsman 58, that my mom won in 1954 at the local Sportsman Club. It was good to go, for everything but deer. Kicked like a friging mule, I was the only guy in town with an auto-loader.

pscwally
02-03-17, 21:08
I'm going to resurrect this old thread because the PA Game Commission has given a unanimous preliminary vote to allow semi-auto for both big and small game. Mags limited to 5 rounds with one in the tube. Air rifles will also be permitted for small game. Final vote will be held at the end of next month. All you Pennsy-tuckians please email the PAGC with positive responses to make sure the final vote is the same. Check out the PAGC web-site for all the details. Finally!!!!!!!;)

TommyG
02-04-17, 07:29
This. You will most likely kiss you rifle bye bye on the spot to be followed by significant follow on consequences. It would be fantastic to hunt with an AR in PA but not likely to be a reality anytime soon.

I think I saw some pigs fly past the house this morning. I am stunned that they may actually come around and make this a reality. I guess it is time build that spare stripped upper into a heavier caliber for next fall. Great news for PA.

pscwally
03-28-17, 20:46
I think I saw some pigs fly past the house this morning. I am stunned that they may actually come around and make this a reality. I guess it is time build that spare stripped upper into a heavier caliber for next fall. Great news for PA.

There are no pigs flying over PA tonight. pa game commish did not have the testicular fortitude to move our state into the 21st century. Am extremely disappointed.

Lumin
03-28-17, 21:47
Semi-auto​s will be allowed for small game and varmints I think.

I can't say I'm overly shocked, the funds have a lot of pull here.

I do have to wonder about the guys against the change though. The number of grown men obsessed with being like their daddy and granddaddy, and using the same guns they did is kind of amazing. Personally I'm not into the role playing thing, and would prefer to use a gun I think offers me the best chance of killing an animal quickly.

Kain
03-28-17, 22:00
Have not heard anything one way or the other, then again haven't looked or cared to look either.

Semi-auto​s will be allowed for small game and varmints I think.

I can't say I'm overly shocked, the funds have a lot of pull here.

I do have to wonder about the guys against the change though. The number of grown men obsessed with being like their daddy and granddaddy, and using the same guns they did is kind of amazing. Personally I'm not into the role playing thing, and would prefer to use a gun I think offers me the best chance of killing an animal quickly.

I am assuming you mean fudds? In which case yeah, I've heard nothing but, "If they can use semi autos people will be getting shot left and right when people open up with them thar machine gun ARs emptying 30 clips all day at a deer." Which is funny since in the next breath they talking about how they bought an AR for home defense because they need "fire power." Bring up that every other ****ing state, as far as I know, allows semi autos, and they just look at you dumbfounded. I think we are too close to NJ and NY and the brain rot bleeds over.

At any rate, I'll be down at the club tomorrow night, I am sure I'll hear more details there. Will likely hurt someone of the fudd's feelings too. Actually, thinking about it, I think I'll drag one of my ARs along just to piss the fudds off.

jpmuscle
03-28-17, 22:20
Have not heard anything one way or the other, then again haven't looked or cared to look either.

I am assuming you mean fudds? In which case yeah, I've heard nothing but, "If they can use semi autos people will be getting shot left and right when people open up with them thar machine gun ARs emptying 30 clips all day at a deer." Which is funny since in the next breath they talking about how they bought an AR for home defense because they need "fire power." Bring up that every other ****ing state, as far as I know, allows semi autos, and they just look at you dumbfounded. I think we are too close to NJ and NY and the brain rot bleeds over.

At any rate, I'll be down at the club tomorrow night, I am sure I'll hear more details there. Will likely hurt someone of the fudd's feelings too. Actually, thinking about it, I think I'll drag one of my ARs along just to piss the fudds off.
Not for nothing but in NY you can hunt with an AR pattern semi so lolz @ PA.

Kain
03-28-17, 22:27

I know. But you get the fudds here scream that ARs aren't good for hunting and that it would be a bloodbath if you let people use ARs to hunt. And I am deathly serious, "There will be people getting shot all over with semi auto." If I've heard it once, I've heard it 50 times.

On the flip side, though, unlike your average pleb in NY I can buy 30 round mags without issue and have enough to give Bloomsburg a stroke, forget the fact that I have enough ammo to make your average "prepper" feel inadequate. So there is that.

I don't know why I give a damn, I don't hunt deer, the only things I would care to hunt would be coyotes, and upland birds. I guess, I had bounced around doing a 300blk build if I could use it on deer because I don't already have enough calibers in my gunsafe, but what the hell.

Lumin
03-28-17, 22:36
Well it looks like you'll be able to hunt coyotes with your AR, and you won't have to worry about the 5+1 round restriction that they were going to put in big game.

I really think a lot of these guys, and the PGC, would like nothing more than to drive even more people away from hunting. Just based on the comments I'm seeing on the PGC's Facebook page, it seems like a good number of them are hoping they'll end up with more tags as less people hunt.

jpmuscle
03-28-17, 22:37

I know. But you get the fudds here scream that ARs aren't good for hunting and that it would be a bloodbath if you let people use ARs to hunt. And I am deathly serious, "There will be people getting shot all over with semi auto." If I've heard it once, I've heard it 50 times.

On the flip side, though, unlike your average pleb in NY I can buy 30 round mags without issue and have enough to give Bloomsburg a stroke, forget the fact that I have enough ammo to make your average "prepper" feel inadequate. So there is that.

I don't know why I give a damn, I don't hunt deer, the only things I would care to hunt would be coyotes, and upland birds. I guess, I had bounced around doing a 300blk build if I could use it on deer because I don't already have enough calibers in my gunsafe, but what the hell.
Yea, I hear ya. It's a lame argument though. I remember stomping around the woods in Butler county with a lever action 30/30 at the legal age of 12 and taking my first dear.

Kain
03-28-17, 22:47
Well it looks like you'll be able to hunt coyotes with your AR, and you won't have to worry about the 5+1 round restriction that they were going to put in big game.

I really think a lot of these guys, and the PGC, would like nothing more than to drive even more people away from hunting. Just based on the comments I'm seeing on the PGC's Facebook page, it seems like a good number of them are hoping they'll end up with more tags as less people hunt.

Well, that is good for Coyote, I suppose. Not that I ever felt the need to load a 20 round to more than 5 rounds whenever I hunted them.

Though, if the remarks are going that way, I'll take that as a personal challenge, and start dragging family and friends in from out of state just on principle. If nothing else my nephew and BIL will happily take any deer meat I don't want.

Yea, I hear ya. It's a lame argument though. I remember stomping around the woods in Butler county with a lever action 30/30 at the legal age of 12 and taking my first dear.

I don't have one, but a good 30-30 is on my list of guns I need, not want, need, in my safe. I just haven't been motivated enough to really shop for one. But, they are like the Garands and M1 Carbines, just a simple classic. Which brings me to semi autos for hunting, I really do want to take a deer with a Garand. Don't ask me why, because for my area anything more than a 30-30 is overkill 95% of the time, if not more.

Lumin
03-29-17, 08:18
Which brings me to semi autos for hunting, I really do want to take a deer with a Garand.

I've thought it would be neat to use my Garand for hunting, but then I shoot it and remember how heavy the thing is, and how much walking we tend to do when hunting (we still do some driving of deer). I feel about the same way with my grandpa's old 30-30 lever action. It's not that I can't carry the rifle, but I'm pretty much exclusively a meat hunter, and I don't want to make the job any harder than it needs to be.

TommyG
03-29-17, 20:09
I thought Elmer & Co were finally going to be overtaken by common sense. Silly me.

Lumin
03-30-17, 07:43
I did too. There seemed to be a massive amount of support for semis (80% of comments), but apparently then the PGC decided that the NRA was influencing all the comments, threw out all of those and went to a survey. They polled 4000 people, 2000 responded (which is actually pretty good) with 52% against allowing them for big game.

So the lesson is, if the PGC doesn't get the response they want, they'll just try again until they do.

Arik
03-30-17, 08:01
Personal I have no interest in hunting with an AR but I also couldn't care less. If asked I would have voted in favor of

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

pscwally
03-30-17, 20:41
When was the poll taken and who were the pollees? If not licensed hunters all results are, to my way of thinking, invalid.

TommyG
03-31-17, 08:00
"Commissioners said a clear majority of Pennsylvania hunters voiced opposition to hunting big game with semiautomatic rifles at this time, and the board’s vote reflects that opinion.

Between the Board of Commissioners’ preliminary vote and the vote today, Game Commission staff conducted a scientific survey from a random sample of 4,000 of the state’s hunters, more than 2,000 of whom responded. The findings of that survey were presented to the commissioners at the board’s meeting on Monday.

In the case of PA, Licensed Hunters are the problem when it comes to this issue. There is a HUGE contingent that is vehemently opposed to it. It is the same silly argument that the antis make - it will be dangerous, a bloodbath, etc. PA is one of the only states left that does not allow semi auto for hunting and there is plenty of empirical data from other states to the contrary but we would prefer to stick to throwing virgins down a well apparently.

The sad part is the Game Commission and other groups here will be crying about the dwindling number of hunters leading up to the fall hunting seasons as they have for years now.

Gunnar da Wolf
03-31-17, 14:56
When I was visiting the inlaws over the Thanksgiving holiday and hitting the shops around Harrisburg the locals were buying five round AR magazines like they were candy. Sorry to hear that the Game Commission decided to stay in the 1930's.

yellowfin
05-14-17, 20:32
I'll be loading up some 62gr Varmageddons to start whacking some varmints when the chance comes up. What we need to do is to fill Facebook up with pictures of us using our rifles of choice with hunting successes to show them that yes, we do exist. We WILL win this if we hang in there.