PDA

View Full Version : Lucid vs. Sparc

Mike Marley
05-28-14, 11:54
Being new to the ar platform, I picked up a Lucid gen III form my M4 and I like it. I'm considering buying another one for my other AR, but someone suggested the Sparc II red dot as well.

Since they are both roughly the same cost, which one should I go for. I know the Lucid is good, but I'm tempted to try a competitor out as well!

SpankMonkey
05-28-14, 13:19
Mike give us a little more data. What is this other rifle for? Plinking/target practice, home defense, etc.

It is hard to give suggestions. There are several lower budget optics besides the sparc and lucid on the market.

SomeOtherGuy
05-28-14, 13:36
I had a gen1 Lucid, and found it ridiculously large and heavy, and difficult to use because the case blocked so much of the view around the tube. I sold it.

Friend owned a SPARC, may still have it, replaced it with an Aimpoint micro. The SPARC was OK. No real issues, definitely a cheaper feel. I don't like the Lucid or the SPARC. The only sub-Aimpoint red dot I've found to like is the Ultradot 30, their one step from base model. It costs about $160, you have to put it in rings (Warne AR height work well and don't cost too much), and it's super simple. Also made in Japan, doesn't feel nearly as cheap, and for me has held up to a couple years of competition use. That's the only one I can recommend at a price below an Aimpoint PRO.

Mike Marley
05-28-14, 13:58
Mike give us a little more data. What is this other rifle for? Plinking/target practice, home defense, etc.

It is hard to give suggestions. There are several lower budget optics besides the sparc and lucid on the market.

Sure. I want to put it on my M&P 15-22 for Appleseed events (competitive shooting at less than 50 yards). I just started learning how to shoot competitively and a red dot or low power scope was recommended as the go to optic.

Guntrician
06-18-14, 00:50
Haven't tried a Lucid. I did pick up a SPARC for one of my range guns. I don't care for it. My home shooting range faces to the west and much of the time when I'm on it it is later in the day, putting the sun to the front of me. If the sun is in the lower half of the horizon it reflects off the red dot emitter projecting a bright red rectangle/square in the FOV. Very distracting. Get what you pay for I guess. None of my Aimpoints do this. Also have a Strikefire on a 5.45x39 AR. That budget Vortex optic does not do this red square projection either. I doubt I would ever spend money on another SPARC for the distracting glare. JMO though.