PDA

View Full Version : DEA wants 7.62x51mm carbines

Slater
05-28-14, 13:03
Think this is written to favor any particular brand/manufacturer?

https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=cef22c195cd9c3e4cc769119b2e8ba36

MadAngler1
05-28-14, 13:33
Page 4 of the PDF file (the numbered pages, not the pdf page number) says they want an "AR-15 style" rifle. I'm guessing they are looking for a Knight's or a HK 417. I'm not sure if the SCAR-H applies. It will be interesting to see if Larue or another AR-10 manufacturer steps up to the plate. This contract sounds tailor made for Knight's. I'm also intrigued by their desire for corrosion resistant parts. Does this mean a stainless barrel or a chome-lined one?

Well, at least this means that the winning manufacturer will sell a "DEA 7.62 NATO rifle" to the public :cool:

markm
05-28-14, 13:57
You mean they're not going with LWRCi again? :sarcastic:

Koshinn
05-28-14, 14:20
Page 4 of the PDF file (the numbered pages, not the pdf page number) says they want an "AR-15 style" rifle. I'm guessing they are looking for a Knight's or a HK 417. I'm not sure if the SCAR-H applies. It will be interesting to see if Larue or another AR-10 manufacturer steps up to the plate. This contract sounds tailor made for Knight's. I'm also intrigued by their desire for corrosion resistant parts. Does this mean a stainless barrel or a chome-lined one?

Well, at least this means that the winning manufacturer will sell a "DEA 7.62 NATO rifle" to the public :cool:

It says "The carbine shall be similar in function, appearance, and construction to Ar15 pattern carbines..." the key word being "appearance." The SCAR-H does not qualify.

It also requires "efficient operation of all controls for both left and right-handed shooters." If "all controls" includes the bolt catch, the SR-25 possibly doesn't meet the requirement.

The S&W M&P 10 actually meets the requirements if they were to sell a 16" version.

PatrioticDisorder
05-28-14, 15:09
It says "The carbine shall be similar in function, appearance, and construction to Ar15 pattern carbines..." the key word being "appearance." The SCAR-H does not qualify.

It also requires "efficient operation of all controls for both left and right-handed shooters." If "all controls" includes the bolt catch, the SR-25 possibly doesn't meet the requirement.

The S&W M&P 10 actually meets the requirements if they were to sell a 16" version.

Isn't the REPR fully ambi? Sounds like they're wording it to exclude everything other than a REPR, which makes sense since they use LWRC currently.

TAZ
05-28-14, 15:50
What?! Are they professional enough for a 308 gas gun???

Isn't the Colt 901 ambi??

Moose-Knuckle
05-29-14, 19:01
RRA is on it, that way it will grace the covers of every gun rag for at least the next two years.

MountainRaven
05-29-14, 21:38
Isn't the REPR fully ambi? Sounds like they're wording it to exclude everything other than a REPR, which makes sense since they use LWRC currently.

It's close: Ambi safety, ambi bolt catch. Charging handle and mag release are one-sided, though.

Koshinn
05-29-14, 21:39

They said something about an ambi charging handle, which the REPR doesn't have.

hjmpanzr
05-29-14, 22:45
Not a lot of love for the REPR there. That said, the operators may not have that much input. Some actually asked for the RRA 556 they had been using prior to the REPr because at least they worked apparently.
Don't know if SR-25 would make it. The new flash hider exceeds 3" IIRC.

CRT2
05-30-14, 06:58
LMT MWSE?

montrala
05-30-14, 07:30
I'm guessing they are looking for a Knight's or a HK 417.

HK417 is not good, as there are no 2 independent magazine manufacturers. Unless HK would propose it on Spuhr lower, but this lower is not fully ambi. This requirement might actually be invented as "HK killer" in first place.

HKGuns
05-30-14, 07:51
HK417 is not good, as there are no 2 independent magazine manufacturers. Unless HK would propose it on Spuhr lower, but this lower is not fully ambi. This requirement might actually be invented as "HK killer" in first place.

HK, or anyone else for that matter, isn't likely to have a ton of interest in modifying a platform to the extent required, for a 250 rifle commitment. seems like a complete waste of tax dollars to do such extensive testing for 250 rifles.

Just go out and buy them on the open market, it doesn't need to be this complicated.

hjmpanzr
05-30-14, 08:02
LMT MWSE?

No ambi bolt catch or charging handle (but they could take care of charging handle easy enough) and could swap in 13.5" barrels when the need arises.

yellowfin
05-30-14, 09:25
Maybe since it's the DEA they could pay for all this with all the piles of cash they seize? Hmm...as for an ambi everything, perhaps they could ask IWI nicely if they'd make a .308 version of a Tavor?

mdrums
05-30-14, 17:33
Anyone wanna guess at why they wouldn't consider the FN SCAR 17? Seems like one heck of a rifle.

HKGuns
05-30-14, 20:49
Anyone wanna guess at why they wouldn't consider the FN SCAR 17? Seems like one heck of a rifle.

Because it is over rated.

MountainRaven
05-30-14, 21:48
Maybe since it's the DEA they could pay for all this with all the piles of cash they seize? Hmm...as for an ambi everything, perhaps they could ask IWI nicely if they'd make a .308 version of a Tavor?

As neat as a forward-ejecting, full-ambi Tavor in 308 would be... it doesn't look even remotely like an AR.

MadAngler1
05-31-14, 10:56

The newer SR-25 16" variants have full ambi controls: http://www.knightarmco.com/portfolio/sr-25-e2-advanced-precision-carbine/?cate_cm=commercial&term=sr-25&features=sr-25-e2-advanced-precision-carbine. I think this is probably what they want, something that could act as a DMR and an entry gun if need be. I see these rifles being used for stopping drug shipments along our Mexican border. The southwestern United States is starting to look like Iraq or Afghanistan, but I'm sure amnesty will make everything better :p

The HK 417 does not have an ambi bolt release to my knowledge, but I'm sure they could incorporate it. It's a shame the LMT MWS would not meet the full ambi requirement either, unless they modify it. Larue would have to do the same.

Despite the small unit volume, I think winning this contract would be important for any US based manufacturer on the basis of advertising alone. It could always lend itself to further government or LE contracts down the road.

MadAngler1
05-31-14, 10:58
Another thing: who actually makes an ambi charging handle for a .308 gas gun?

MorphCross
05-31-14, 14:48
Another thing: who actually makes an ambi charging handle for a .308 gas gun?

Rainier Arms partnered with AXTS: https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3335

montrala
05-31-14, 16:59
The HK 417 does not have an ambi bolt release to my knowledge, but I'm sure they could incorporate it.

HK417A2 has ambi bolt release (and mag release). But no ambi charging handle (bu switchable left to right side), but most importantly HK would not meet "2 magazine manufacturers" requirement.

Koshinn
05-31-14, 18:16
The newer SR-25 16" variants have full ambi controls: http://www.knightarmco.com/portfolio/sr-25-e2-advanced-precision-carbine/?cate_cm=commercial&term=sr-25&features=sr-25-e2-advanced-precision-carbine.

Not a bolt catch.

justin_247
06-01-14, 14:50
Not a bolt catch.

Seriously, if the DEA rejects the KAC offering because it doesn't have a bolt catch on the right side, then they deserve whatever garbage they end up with.

Vitor
06-02-14, 02:32
So the Mexican Cartels will have new toys soon in the Fast and Furious operation.

223to45
06-04-14, 14:27
Not a bolt catch.

Yeah it does look at that picture, is that not a right side bolt catch lever right above the Mag button.

Koshinn
06-04-14, 14:29
Yeah it does look at that picture, is that not a right side bolt catch lever right above the Mag button.

That's a bolt release.

223to45
06-04-14, 14:31
Never mind, I see what you mean.

Caeser25
06-10-14, 17:47
Bushmaster Massoud? lol.

fred
06-11-14, 14:20
What?! Are they professional enough for a 308 gas gun???

Isn't the Colt 901 ambi??

There's only one person in this room professional enough for a .308 gas gun....