PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P Shield followed me home today

ColdDeadHands
05-28-14, 15:28
Here she is in unmolested form;

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/mw1311/forums/0528141356a_zps4121f104.jpg

and here after 30 minutes with the soldering iron;

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/mw1311/forums/0528141445-1_zps43916ae9.jpg

Still trying to decide if I want more textured surface. Tomorrow I'm going to the store and pick some things to under-cut the trigger guard and polish the internals as the trigger is gritty as shit. Then I'll decide if I want an APEX kit or not. For sure want some 10-8 sights. The holster I'm going with will be a persec spartan I think.

Now some questions:

1. Was anyone able to stipple the mag release button? My iron wouldn't melt it. Maybe I need a higher power one?

2. Will the .156 rear and .125 front sight be a good combo with this short gun?

Edited to ad: this gun was test fired at S&W 04-08-2014

Texaspoff
05-28-14, 15:36

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/mw1311/forums/0528141356a_zps4121f104.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/mw1311/forums/0528141445-1_zps43916ae9.jpg

Still trying to decide if I want more textured surface. Tomorrow I'm going to the store and pick some things to under-cut the trigger guard and polish the internals as the trigger is gritty as shit. Then I'll decide if I want an APEX kit or not. For sure want some 10-8 sights. The holster I'm going with will be a persec spartan I think.

Now some questions:

1. Was anyone able to stipple the mag release button? My iron wouldn't melt it. Maybe I need a higher power one?

Nice work, The Shields magazine release is metal. Gonna need a welder to melt it.:)

TXPO

Crow Hunter
05-28-14, 15:38

Now some questions:

But how does it shoot....

Malfunctions? Accuracy issues? Super uber perfect?

;)

I finally got to feel one up my last time at the "local" Gander Mountain a few weeks ago and I was intrigued.

I am interested to see how your recent example does.

C4IGrant
05-28-14, 15:40
I would suggest shooting it before melting it (might be un-reliable). A modified gun is much harder to get CS support from than one that isn't (FYI).

C4

ColdDeadHands
05-28-14, 15:44
Nice work, The Shields magazine release is metal. Gonna need a welder to melt it.:)

TXPO

Really? Wouldn't have guessed that...it feels kinda plastic-ish to me lol

TehLlama
05-28-14, 15:47
I would suggest shooting it before melting it (might be un-reliable). A modified gun is much harder to get CS support from than one that isn't (FYI).
C4

Also, that M&P Trigger crappiness seems to fade pretty quick within 200 rounds, I had budgeted for a DCAEK or some Apex parts in mine, and I've just given up and bought more ammunition to feed it, and decided I'd spend the rest of what I had set aside on a second one. The trigger will come in good, and undercut trigger guard will be extra helpful if you're running the 7rd magazine but I'd run it some more to see how high you want to aim for there, and the only other spot I felt that grip was lacking was the lower frontstrap area, but I'm also usually carrying mine while working at a machine shop (and thus typically have my hands covered in coolant, tapping fluid, way oil, and blood).

ColdDeadHands
05-28-14, 15:49
But how does it shoot....

Malfunctions? Accuracy issues? Super uber perfect?

;)

I finally got to feel one up my last time at the "local" Gander Mountain a few weeks ago and I was intrigued.

I am interested to see how your recent example does.

Thanks, I didn't get to shoot it yet - my friends property where I go shoot is kinda under water...we've had some crazy downpour here the last few days. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it this weekend. I'll let you guys know how she does.

C4IGrant
05-28-14, 15:51
Also, that M&P Trigger crappiness seems to fade pretty quick within 200 rounds, I had budgeted for a DCAEK or some Apex parts in mine, and I've just given up and bought more ammunition to feed it, and decided I'd spend the rest of what I had set aside on a second one. The trigger will come in good, and undercut trigger guard will be extra helpful if you're running the 7rd magazine but I'd run it some more to see how high you want to aim for there, and the only other spot I felt that grip was lacking was the lower frontstrap area, but I'm also usually carrying mine while working at a machine shop (and thus typically have my hands covered in coolant, tapping fluid, way oil, and blood).

Yes, the factory trigger on the new guns is EXCELLENT. With proper polishing and tuning, it can be awesome. While I am a fan of all the Apex parts, the number one item to buy (if you can afford only one) is the Universal Striker Block. Makes a world of difference in the pull weight and gritty feel.

C4

ColdDeadHands
05-28-14, 15:58

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely shoot it before I decide if I want the trigger kit or not. Gotta say tho, the apex kit on my M&P full size is awesome and I really wouldn't mind the shield's trigger to be like it!

ColdDeadHands
05-28-14, 16:00
Yes, the factory trigger on the new guns is EXCELLENT. With proper polishing and tuning, it can be awesome. While I am a fan of all the Apex parts, the number one item to buy (if you can afford only one) is the Universal Striker Block. Makes a world of difference in the pull weight and gritty feel.

C4

Thanks for the info.

ColdDeadHands
05-28-14, 16:02
Are you sure about the mag release button being metal? I fondled it again and it sure feels like plastic. I'm talking about the button.

BaronFitz
05-28-14, 19:32

I've been happy with the .156" rear notch and .125" wide, .160" high front sight from 10-8.

They make a specific Shield rear and the front is common to both M&P and Shield. I put a tritium front on mine, and my wife got the red fiber front on hers to match her full size M&P9 setup.

The only thing to note with 10-8 sights is that they purposely make them oversized to account for the variance in sight slot tolerances with the M&P line, and they require a diamond file to size them to fit. I had to take mine and my wife's to an actual smith rather than my favorite armorer/M4C Mod, since he didn't have anything in the toolbox that could file the sight to fit...so be prepared to budget for some smith work along with the sights if needed. I still think they're the way to go though.

ColdDeadHands
05-28-14, 21:17
I've been happy with the .156" rear notch and .125" wide, .160" high front sight from 10-8.

They make a specific Shield rear and the front is common to both M&P and Shield. I put a tritium front on mine, and my wife got the red fiber front on hers to match her full size M&P9 setup.

The only thing to note with 10-8 sights is that they purposely make them oversized to account for the variance in sight slot tolerances with the M&P line, and they require a diamond file to size them to fit. I had to take mine and my wife's to an actual smith rather than my favorite armorer/M4C Mod, since he didn't have anything in the toolbox that could file the sight to fit...so be prepared to budget for some smith work along with the sights if needed. I still think they're the way to go though.
Thanks for the info, for the last 10-8 sights I fitted I just used a regular file. Do you think this (http://m.homedepot.com/p/QEP-Diamond-Grit-Porcelain-Tile-File-10586Q/204317887/) one would work ? May be worth a try...

l8apex
05-29-14, 00:22
Luckily my Shield has been perfect out of the box (trigger seems 5lbs crisp), might stipple similar to yours in the future. Enjoy it in health.

PLCedeno
05-29-14, 05:13
I put my hands on a Shield over the weekend and found the trigger to be even better than my new M&P 40 (which has a very good though heavy trigger). Based on how it felt to me I could keep it without APEX. Give us a range report-hurry.

RWCRaiden
05-30-14, 12:50
Just passed the 300 round mark with my Shield, and the trigger does seem to be getting worked out quite well. I never really noticed the "gritty" trigger most folks speak of. Guess i have a newer production one, but I can shoot this thing better than my $1200 HK.

This is quite an accurate piece for me, and I'm just an average (or slightly below) shot with pistols. This thing goes right where I want it on the paper, and the groupings at 5 yards can be covered by a quarter if I do my part.

The recoil seems non-existent, and the sights are pretty good.

I honestly can't say anything bad about this gun at all. I love it.

ColdDeadHands
06-04-14, 14:23
I received my F3 Holsters Falcon today - very nice Holster and super fast delivery. Thanks Chris!

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/mw1311/forums/0604141359_zpsb2k9epad.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/mw1311/forums/0604141400_zpsxzwtimye.jpg

I still didn't get to shoot it but will update here when I do.

RWH24
06-04-14, 15:33
Here is my Shield in the DeSantis Mini Scabbard

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24202076/408076710.jpg

Backside of 2 DeSantis holsters, KAHR P380 on left and Shield on right

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24202076/407895815.jpg

My Shield is an early model and has smoothed up nicely shooting it. Probably 250-300 rounds through it.
I thought about adding APEX parts like my 2 M&P9's but just don't see the need. The USB might happen..

SteveS
06-23-14, 11:08
I was able to try a 40 Shield and a 45acp XD single stack at the range. By far the S@W was the nicest to shoot, easy to shoot as well as accurate and soft shooting. I own 2 XD sc in 9 and 40 and a Kahr p9[?] as comparison. If I were a chase the latest pistol type ,the Shield would be the one.