PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion/experiences with cerakote

WillBrink
05-28-14, 18:31
Buddy of mine owns a coating company and offered to do a gun for free in cerakote. I was thinking of having my M&P FS 9mm slide done. I know the melonite coating on the M&P is perfectly good, so this is more for fun. I don't have any experience with cerakote. GTG if applied correctly (I know that's key) or not up to snuff as it's claimed? It's no charge to me other than shipping.

steyrman13
05-28-14, 18:51
Definitely make sure it is applied and mostly prepped correctly. I have seen it just flake off of some 80% lower and bare metals that were not blasted. After reading more into it, it appears aluminum bead blast is the best where sand or glass does not prep it as well. I have seen it done correctly and it is tough stuff.

jpmuscle
05-28-14, 23:38
My only experience stems from the diy air cure version that you can spray on with a modeling brush. No bake required unless you want. It's held up surprisingly well. Degrease degrease degrease was all my prep consisted of.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

VIP3R 237
05-28-14, 23:52
I do a lot of Cerakote for my company. It is an excellent product and has become very popular. Besides the obvious color application it is the best corrosion protectant available and it is very durable. It also makes clean up easier and is a self lubricating, as well as being almost completely impervious to solvents. When properly applied it is also very thin and will not interfere with the tolerances of firearms. Now as with anything it can and will wear with use, and if you bang it up against something that would scratch the existing material then of course it will scratch the Cerakote.

Definitely make sure it is applied and mostly prepped correctly. I have seen it just flake off of some 80% lower and bare metals that were not blasted. After reading more into it, it appears aluminum bead blast is the best where sand or glass does not prep it as well. I have seen it done correctly and it is tough stuff.

Application is critical, and bead blasting is not recommended. Aluminum Oxide or Garnet Sand is best.

From Cerakote's Training Manual: http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/H%20Series%202014%20Training%20Manual.pdf

DO NOT use any type of round blasting media such as glass beads or steel shot. Round
media will dimple the surface rather than etching it, and will not yield a sufficient blast
profile for optimum coating adhesion

steyrman13
05-29-14, 08:42
I do a lot of Cerakote for my company. It is an excellent product and has become very popular. Besides the obvious color application it is the best corrosion protectant available and it is very durable. It also makes clean up easier and is a self lubricating, as well as being almost completely impervious to solvents. When properly applied it is also very thin and will not interfere with the tolerances of firearms. Now as with anything it can and will wear with use, and if you bang it up against something that would scratch the existing material then of course it will scratch the Cerakote.

Application is critical, and bead blasting is not recommended. Aluminum Oxide or Garnet Sand is best.

From Cerakote's Training Manual: http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/H%20Series%202014%20Training%20Manual.pdf

Aluminum Oxide was what I was looking for......I think I read it in an old post by you somewhere

tuck
05-29-14, 08:56
I spray quite a bit of Cerakote, and like with any other spray on finish, prep is key. Degreasing and then gassing off the parts after blasting seems to be a step that's overlooked. Nothing will ruin a finish faster than oils or solvents trapped in the nooks and crannies of the part you're refinishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brickboy240
05-29-14, 10:55
I Crea- Koted my daughter's Ruger 10-22 in flat black.

She and my nephew have beaten the snot out of this little rifle...taking it out in the rain and dirt and for hard rides on an ATV and the finish seems to be holding up really well.

If you ask me...it seems VERY durable.

-brickboy240