PDA

View Full Version : With 22 so hard to get, what are you all starting your kids on?

1_click_off
05-28-14, 19:37
I have a couple 1000 rounds of 22 put up for when the kiddos get a little older. For those that got caught with low stocks, what are you starting you kids out on? Just staying with air guns longer, or do they get to jump straight into the 5.56/.223 world? Seen a bunch of folks buy their kids a new 22 and the 2 boxes allowed they hold for gun sales. I can only imagine how quick those go. My buddy picked his kids up some 15/22s for Christmas and I pick up the 2 box max for him every time I see some.

I would think the recoil is mild enough and with most collapsable stocks it should be an ok fit. If you are letting your kids go from air guns to AR's, how are they doing with them?

When I was 14, I cut grass all summer for a Dan Wesson 44mag. Took a long time to get over the flinch that gave me. Still have the Wesson, but I will hold off on letting the kids shoot it with anything but light reloads for a good while.

Moose-Knuckle
05-28-14, 20:10
Air Soft
BB / Pellet
.17 HMR

1_click_off
05-28-14, 20:18
Forgot about the 17 hmr.

BIGUGLY
05-28-14, 21:04
Mine started on .22 Mag. So far I can still find that, well usually. I don't get to take him out all the time so its been ok so far. He has shot the ar's and for him being pretty skinny 5 year old he sure laughs when he gets to pull the trigger on it. Recoil hasn't been an issue on the .223 so far.

SeriousStudent
05-28-14, 21:07
Ditto on the pellet rifle. There are a lot of action targets you can set up in the backyard, or the basement. A fair number even have a built-in noise reduction system, so the neighbors do not have a faintoid.

Magic_Salad0892
05-29-14, 03:36
5.56mm with a suppressor. Or .17HMR.

ptmccain
05-29-14, 05:29
.22LR is not "hard to get" it is just hard to get at the prices we were all used to a few years ago, like, around .03 a round in bulk.

You can get it, you are just going to pay .13 cents a round or more for it.

See GunBot. (http://gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/)

TacticalSledgehammer
05-29-14, 06:40
7.62x54r. I think its probably the best priced round in the surplus market right now.

In all reality, I would still start my kid out with a pellet or bb gun, and work her way up.

markm
05-29-14, 09:13
I brainwashed my kid to be a retard anti gun liberal so I could save money on ammo! SMART! :sarcastic:

hatt
05-29-14, 10:06
.22LR is not "hard to get" it is just hard to get at the prices we were all used to a few years ago, like, around .03 a round in bulk.

You can get it, you are just going to pay .13 cents a round or more for it.

See GunBot. (http://gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/)
That's what I've found as well. I can get it locally all day long at $.08/rd. It's still far cheaper than any other caliber.

GunBugBit
05-29-14, 11:12
I brainwashed my kid to be a retard anti gun liberal so I could save money on ammo! SMART! :sarcastic:
Way to think outside th'box!

interfan
05-29-14, 12:16
For new shooters, a 9mm carbine works well. The recoil is not too much more than rimfire and I can reload it.

My son is only 2 1/2, so he's fine with a water pistol for now.

1_click_off
05-29-14, 12:56
Guess I need to clarify two items.

I am asking more on the transition from BB airsoft etc to a smokeless powder rifle. The spring and air powered stuff was assumed already in use.

22 hard to get.... If I can't walk through Walmart or Academy and pick up 2 boxes of 525 federal or whatever any time I want, then yes I consider it difficult to get. Sure you can get scalped stuff all day, but that usually requires half a day to acquire it. Not trying to say it is impossible to get, but it has been 2 years since it was sitting in stores.

With that hassle, I think I would rather just find something else the kiddos can progress to.

Mostly just wanted to see what the kids are using and how they handle it if 22 is not in the equation.

TAZ
05-29-14, 14:13
Kind of lucky here in that I stocked then hell up before things went dry. 22 may be hard to get at a big box like Walmart, Academy or Gander. Most of the locals gun stores seem to have it albeit in 50 rd boxes at around $5 per box. It's not what it used to be, but still much cheaper than 9.

I bought my son a single shot 22 that will run shorts or LR. No temptation to send ammo down range for shits and giggles so a 50 rd box goes a long way and forces focus on fundamentals.

ptmccain
05-29-14, 15:28
Again 22LR is not hard to get.

Order it online, no sales tax, no driving, parking, going into store.

Ammo shows up few days later on your door step.

Could not be easier.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

1_click_off
05-29-14, 15:47
Again 22LR is not hard to get.

Order it online, no sales tax, no driving, parking, going into store.

Ammo shows up few days later on your door step.

Could not be easier.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ok, that works now and for the last couple months. But for the year and a half before that I am sure there were a few folks that said "Oh shit, I don't have any 22 ammo for Johnny, let's let him shoot XYZ".

I am just interested in what XYZ are.

I am happy you are able to order your ammo, but that is not the main point of this thread.

yellowfin
05-29-14, 16:45
I can reload 9mm cheaper than the retail price of .22 by the 50-100 box, so I suppose I could get a 9mm upper for the future kids.

Outlander Systems
05-29-14, 17:57
Can't get .22 around here at ANY price.

ptmccain
05-29-14, 18:01
Ok, that works now and for the last couple months.

Precisely, so there is no problem getting .22LR.

Let the kiddies blaze away.

1_click_off
05-29-14, 20:22
Precisely, so there is no problem getting .22LR.

Let the kiddies blaze away.

Wish I could show you what I am talking about.

SeriousStudent
05-29-14, 20:49
Let's all try and help the OP by answering his real question. Just a gentle nudge back on track, folks.

1 click off - here's a link to a deal I got in my email from Midway. They have some refurb Daisy pellet rifles for only $20.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/263583/product?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-supersonic-_-ssp_daisy_20140529_1-_-AdBlock01

At that price, buying a pair would be easy to do. I started my daughter on a rifle like that one when she was 7 or 8, and she loved it. It was also "her rifle" and she was great about learning the 4 rules.

TAZ
05-29-14, 22:19
Let's all try and help the OP by answering his real question. Just a gentle nudge back on track, folks.

1 click off - here's a link to a deal I got in my email from Midway. They have some refurb Daisy pellet rifles for only $20.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/263583/product?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-supersonic-_-ssp_daisy_20140529_1-_-AdBlock01

At that price, buying a pair would be easy to do. I started my daughter on a rifle like that one when she was 7 or 8, and she loved it. It was also "her rifle" and she was great about learning the 4 rules.

Used the very same model to start my son shooting and learning safety.

IMO the key to teaching kids is to get them behind something that isn't intimidating recoil wise and they have quick success hitting what they are trying to hit. Maybe a heavy bolt 223. You can bench it and let them shoot and have fun. You could also load some light loads for them to use to help matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pilgrim
05-29-14, 22:37
We are still training the kids the same way with 22LR... 10/22's, M&P15-22, Marlin single shot youth model... but our round count has been cut way down.

Local Walmart has the Winchester 333 round hp's for 4.5 cent a round. You've got to get there early though to get it.

Added some airsoft AR's into the mix, they are sorta OK as a training aid, more fun than training. Be advised to use high grade pellets that fly straight.

markm
05-30-14, 14:12
I got a brick of 22 Short that a guy I know accidentally bought a while back. All I can do with those is fire them in the single shot bolt action. Going to take years to burn those up.

hatt
05-30-14, 14:21
I got a brick of 22 Short that a guy I know accidentally bought a while back. All I can do with those is fire them in the single shot bolt action. Going to take years to burn those up.
Sounds like a Marlin 39A is in order.

markm
05-30-14, 14:36

Pretty cool gun... but MSRP is $700.

1_click_off
05-30-14, 17:53
Pretty cool gun... but MSRP is $700.

Henry will do the same thing for about half the cost. My BNL has one and it is like the energizer bunny after you fill it with 22 shorts!

hatt
05-30-14, 18:11
I always hear good things about the Henry. Maybe even a better bet, with the Remlins iffy quality.

1_click_off
05-30-14, 18:55
Henry's are solid built rifles. I really like BNL's except for the plastic strap that goes around the forearm barrel and mag tube. Why have a nice rifle and finish it off with plastic? Think the rear sight ramp is plastic too. Those are the only things keeping me from buying one.

This thread has lost its purpose, so I guess it is chat time anyway.

Bulletdog
05-30-14, 19:24

That gun rocks. A friend has one. If you run CB longs through it, it sounds suppressed. No Joke. Even the kiddies don't need ears. Also makes an excellent ground squirrel plinker and the neighbors don't have a clue.

The high price DOES suck though.

For the OP's original question, I took my kid from BB, to mini .22lr bolt gun, and now to S&W M&P 15-22. I haven't had much trouble finding .22lr and so far all is progressing well with the rug rat. I have not found a need to deviate from the norm.

SeriousStudent
05-30-14, 22:04

Your call - open or closed?

Ryno12
05-30-14, 22:06

I thought that after seeing a few people who posted don't even have kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1_click_off
05-30-14, 23:41
Your call - open or closed?

I think it has run its course. Guess most here are well prepped and don't have to transition their kids from BBs to centerfire.

SeriousStudent
05-31-14, 00:26
So let it be written, so let it be done.