PDA

View Full Version : I'm just a wrench

fixit69
05-28-14, 22:09
As the title states, I just work on machinery of all types. Old(think early 1900's), outdated stuff. I often think I'm stuck there. But somtimes strive to improve my knowledge base.

My first look at the AR platform was interesting to say the least. My cousin's Colt AR, early 70's, was where I was introduced. Fired a lot. Interesting, but I was a pistol guy. Lever and bolt was the following for decades(they were my fathers and he did not push, thanks Dad he was awsome) and learned by myself . Just like everything else. Semi-autos came much later.

Let's forward less than a decade or so. Now in my 30's, I have became aquainted with full auto. A few years later, belt- feds(pays to know people). By now I have had an AR 15 for a few years. I suddenly have the urge to purchse my own AR (new). I thougt i researched and purchased a S&W M&P 15 because it had the rail, and features I thought I wanted. Well, not enough research.

To now. I'm still a wrench. I see what needs to be fixed but... In the many(ok, I'm not IG, Clint, or the many on this forum that do this day in, day out) auto and semi auto rifles I have wreched, I have never had a problem come back to me. On my own rifles, yea problems galore. Most self made. Trying new things, buffer weights, springs, gas tube lengths, etc... I'm sure anyone who has tried his stuff has had setbacks. So what I'm trying to neanderthal is...

I really have no experience on the trigger side of training. Yes I can admit it. An what I want to know is, at my advanced age, is where I can get that training to know what I don't know. I'm not advanced. I'm not beginner.

I'm just a wrench.

Quick Draw
05-29-14, 12:48
What do you consider advanced age?

markm
05-29-14, 13:18
What do you consider advanced age?

See the last sentence of his sigline....

Quick Draw
05-29-14, 13:33
See the last sentence of his sigline....

The part about A C?

I am probably closer to seeing A C than most at 69.

On a different subject I really appreciate your posts on the new Ruger American Predator .223.

markm
05-29-14, 13:50
The part about A C?

Yeah. ;) I have no idea... but that part makes him sound old.

elephantrider
05-29-14, 18:13
OP, so you are looking for a good source of training? Not sure if you mean print (books/article), videos, or in person classes.

Check out the training section of this forum, also the 'ask an SME' section. In my opinion Alias training (aliastraining.com) offers the best mix of tactical style instructors that are offering classes on a regular bases across the country. If print or video instruction is what you after use Google to find some articles, books, or videos from those same Alias affiliated instructors. Many of them also post on this forum as well (ask the SME section).