PDA

View Full Version : Handguard recommendations

Fr0gger
05-29-14, 22:00
Hi all,

I'm looking to build up an 11.5" suppressed sbr, and I'm trying to decide on a handguard. And when I say handguard, I have these requirements:

1) Can mount weaponlight
2) Can mount sling
3) Accommodates adjustable gas block
4) BUIS

I'm just looking for the most basic mounting system possible, and don't really care whether it's free float, how thin the handguard is, how the machining is etc. Honestly, the less "extras" it has over what I need, the better. To this end, I suppose less expensive is also better (after all, why pay more for a handguard with less features, all else being equal?)

Now, I wouldn't be starting this thread and would just go with the MOE handguard if it weren't for requirement 3. Can anyone recommend a handguard that would fit these criteria best? Or would it just be best to pick the latest flavor of the month free-float handguard (I guess this would probably be kmr or m-lok).

Thanks in advance.

GH41
05-30-14, 05:54
I wouldn't buy a handguard until I had the stamps in my hand. There will probably be 25 new ones introduced between now and then! GH

Aaron_B
05-30-14, 07:50
Centurion C4 10". Easy to install, will work with adjustable gas block, and has QD sockets built in.

markm
05-30-14, 08:20
An 11.5 with a 10.0 KMR is about as good as it gets. And it meets your requirements.

RWCRaiden
05-30-14, 09:03
I'd have to second the KMR. Seems to be light, and very "minimal".

SiGfever
05-30-14, 09:59
Looking at pictures of the KMR is impressive, but once you hold it and look at it up close you really see the genius in engineering. It is so light and comfortable, I don't see myself ever going back to a quad rail.

RWCRaiden
05-30-14, 12:53
Looking at pictures of the KMR is impressive, but once you hold it and look at it up close you really see the genius in engineering. It is so light and comfortable, I don't see myself ever going back to a quad rail.

I've been salivating over one since they've been released and really want one. I'm trying to use this desire to justify just buying a new upper. How has it held up thus far? Any wear on the finish yet?

VIP3R 237
05-30-14, 12:56
I'd go KMR or a Geissele SMR. The KMR is lighter, but the SMR has the most solid lockup out there. If you are looking at under $200 the Midwest Industries Gen 2 stuff is excellent.

markm
05-30-14, 13:01
How has it held up thus far? Any wear on the finish yet?

I'm running probably one of the more often used KMRs... (at least out of those of us posting about them). The finish holds up fine. It's smoothed out a bit where I carry it and handle it most... just forward of the mag well. I'm running it with no covers and it's still all black.

RWCRaiden
05-30-14, 13:12
I'm running probably one of the more often used KMRs... (at least out of those of us posting about them). The finish holds up fine. It's smoothed out a bit where I carry it and handle it most... just forward of the mag well. I'm running it with no covers and it's still all black.

Now I want one even more. I don't mind the fading of the finish though. Gives it character IMO. Have you noticed any shift in the zero of your iron sights? I imagine it's been lock-tited and secured quite well, but I'm just curious.

markm
05-30-14, 13:43
I'm running two KMRs a 13.. and a 10. And my 10.0 is only going on its second or third shoot this weekend...

But the 13 inch hand guard has stayed true to the RDS since I've had it on the gun. I'm sort of OCD about checking that excessively on my guns.

Bpc9876
05-30-14, 15:36
thanks for that info Markm. I am really waiting on the 15' KMR. I believe it's slated for June...so soon. Then again I could know jack s***.

Wolvee
05-30-14, 15:50
I've been playing with the KMR and the SMR and my "professional novice" opinion is I like the SMR more on my LW middy and the KMR on my heavier barrel.

6 in one Half dozen in the other.

SiGfever
05-30-14, 16:53
I'm running two KMRs a 13.. and a 10. And my 10.0 is only going on its second or third shoot this weekend...

But the 13 inch hand guard has stayed true to the RDS since I've had it on the gun. I'm sort of OCD about checking that excessively on my guns.
Listen to Markm, he has a lot more time on his KMR, I just received mine and it was some of his recommendations that helped me decide on my upper.

steyrman13
05-30-14, 17:05
Could you not run a hand guard cap behind the adj gas block and still use the moe?

ScatmanCrothers
05-30-14, 19:03
KMR 10 is the obvious answer, but will also throw in the new CMR 11 that's about to release at Rainier. A little heavier than the KMR but if its anything like the longer length ones it'll be next to indestructible. It's on my short list at least.

markm
05-31-14, 09:16
Could you not run a hand guard cap behind the adj gas block and still use the moe?

WTF? There's so many downsides to that idea I don't know where to start? Can you even put a buis on a moe?

Onyx Z
05-31-14, 09:37
KMR is the only way to go these days.

steyrman13
05-31-14, 11:04
WTF? There's so many downsides to that idea I don't know where to start? Can you even put a buis on a moe?

I was thinking this gas block

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1069743543/jp-enterprises-adjustable-gas-block-picatinny-rail-sight-mounting-ar-15-lr-308-standard-barrel-750-inside-diameter

But a noveske or syrac with kmr or smr would be better

MistWolf
05-31-14, 11:16
Can you even put a buis on a moe?

Heh! With a little ingenuity, you can mount anything to any handguard. Trouble with mounting a BUIS to a MOE is that the MOE moves around and POI will be inconsistent

Hi all,

I'm looking to build up an 11.5" suppressed sbr, and I'm trying to decide on a handguard. And when I say handguard, I have these requirements:

1) Can mount weaponlight
2) Can mount sling
3) Accommodates adjustable gas block
4) BUIS

I'm just looking for the most basic mounting system possible, and don't really care whether it's free float, how thin the handguard is, how the machining is etc. Honestly, the less "extras" it has over what I need, the better. To this end, I suppose less expensive is also better (after all, why pay more for a handguard with less features, all else being equal?)

Now, I wouldn't be starting this thread and would just go with the MOE handguard if it weren't for requirement 3. Can anyone recommend a handguard that would fit these criteria best? Or would it just be best to pick the latest flavor of the month free-float handguard (I guess this would probably be kmr or m-lok).

Thanks in advance.

To be honest with you, you're looking at the question backwards. Regardless of what type of handguard you're looking at, any accessory can be mounted to it. What you need to do is look at how the accessories you want are mounted, pick a method you want and select a handguard that will accommodate your wants.

Your biggest challenge will be coordinating the weapon light and the front BUIS on such a short handguard. The simplest solution is the combination light mount/front sight
http://roschworks.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_a6d54/tn_480_c340d98d3258e60997d4e7c9d24cb37a.jpg.png
http://roschworks.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_a6d54/tn_480_28a11565d6e48e3c8abe4a13bbd30c97.jpg.png
Now all you need is a handguard with a top rail. Another solution is to mount the light separately to the side. Some light mounts bolt through a slot. Some mount to a rail. Myself, I'd go with the weapon light mount/front sight combo.

Slings are easy. Either get a sling mount to attach to the handguard by direct mount or rail, or add a QD cup. I fabbed up a QD cup for the handguard of my precision AR
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Build/DSC_0201.jpg

Knowing how you want to mount your accessories will simplify your handguard choices

308sako
05-31-14, 19:25
Coyote duster

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/ARPwithCyclone_zps1af202eb.jpg

Seekins adjustable gas block underneath it, MI Gen2 SSK 10.5" over AR Performance 11.5" barrel with AAC Cyclone attached.

RWCRaiden
06-01-14, 12:22
I'm pretty interested in the 15" KMR now...hopefully they will be out next month. Guess I'll order that for my current upper. Only downside is I have a carbine length gas system.

infantryman
06-02-14, 16:10
VTAC rail

LewP
06-02-14, 20:02
It will be very difficult to choose anything but a KMR for my future rifle builds. As much as I like Geissele rails I'm afraid I've been assimilated. Resistance is futile.

RWCRaiden
06-03-14, 08:49
I'm curious to see how gear is going to be able to interact with KMR in the offset positions too.

LewP
06-03-14, 12:20
I'm curious to see how gear is going to be able to interact with KMR in the offset positions too.

Here's a pic of the front of my KMR equipped rifle with the Noveske Keymod QD on the 45. Tight fit but doesn't touch the top rail.

RWCRaiden
06-04-14, 13:30
Here's a pic of the front of my KMR equipped rifle with the Noveske Keymod QD on the 45. Tight fit but doesn't touch the top rail.

Very nice. Seems to be out of the way too. So much stuff I want, and not enough money.