PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Zero Again

ptmccain
05-30-14, 05:00
New video posted, this time they include slow motion so you can assess his accuracy. See what you think. I probably did not see it accurately, but toward the beginning, it got hits on center mass and one head shot, then it looks like his follow ups hit the chains holding the steel torso.

What do you guys think of his "choke" method of drawing from concealment?

http://thegunwire.com/blog/youtube-video-funkertactical-instructor-zero-concealed-carry-draws-5-11-tactical-aggressor-parka/

Straight Shooter
05-30-14, 07:19
Didn't even know that draw HAD a name! Been doing that a long time now. Works great for me in my field jacket.
Also...poo-poo, laugh, make fun of the guy...whatever. I like him, he's got skill & ability, and in an up & up gunfight he'd kill the majority of you laughing at him. If those of you who make fun of him can, go and do better.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-30-14, 08:54
Call it "The Reach Around" or "Reverse Reach Around" ;)

Seems like you'd be more prone to shooting one handed as your support hand raced back to get to the gun?

Benefits versus adding some weight to the strong side of the jacket to get it to clear better.

Looks cool. Will probably be in the next Tom Cruise movie.

signal4l
05-30-14, 10:33
Im not a fan of that method. I would rather keep my left(non gun) hand in a position to block, strike or push away from the attacker. I dont have a problem clearing my cover garment with my gun hand.

ptmccain
05-30-14, 10:45
But, at least he did have the common courtesy to give a reach around.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-30-14, 13:12
And we wonder why people don't get more training when we have moves called "Brokeback Mountain" and "The Reach Around".

TehLlama
05-30-14, 13:47
I still take those videos as a conclusive demonstration that even a poor technique if practiced adequately can and should produce better results than an ideal technique practiced very little.

lunchbox
05-30-14, 15:50
Im not a fan of that method. I would rather keep my left(non gun) hand in a position to block, strike or push away from the attacker. I dont have a problem clearing my cover garment with my gun hand.My thoughts exactly.

WickedWillis
05-30-14, 17:24
He's a pretty badass guy, and his videos are fun to watch. He puts together some nice groups, and does more drills than most channels. Maybe take a page from him and do some tacticool vids on your VDMA channel Paul? Or better yet, do one of his time challenges and see how you fare, that'd be great.

sinlessorrow
05-30-14, 18:05
He's a pretty badass guy, and his videos are fun to watch. He puts together some nice groups, and does more drills than most channels. Maybe take a page from him and do some tacticool vids on your VDMA channel Paul? Or better yet, do one of his time challenges and see how you fare, that'd be great.

I wonder how many takes his videos require.....I'm sure quite a few.

WickedWillis
05-30-14, 18:28
I wonder how many takes his videos require.....I'm sure quite a few.

I guarantee that it does. Maybe not on some of his speed vids though, they'd be hard to cut and retake. Obviously the best run makes it.

signal4l
05-30-14, 20:31
Walking around with an unzipped coat works very well from my front door to my car. I tend to dislike hypothermia and find myself zipping up my coat in cold weather when I am outside for any extended period of time.

The reach around draw is impractical for those of us in colder climates

Straight Shooter
05-31-14, 02:02
As for the number of "takes"...Ive seen outtakes myself from several of todays prominent instructors and ALL reshoot scenes until right, in order to at least demonstrate the correct technique. { why show it in-correct?} Also..unless Ive missed it, the guy aint advocating or endorsing this or any other method as the ultimate way...he is just doing different things on film. Just like methods & advice from all the instructors here and elsewhere, you can take it or leave it if it doesn't apply to you. Again...not knowing the guy from Adam...its obvious he has a lot of skill, trigger time, and rounds downrange. And most
poking fun would be hard pressed to be able to meet, and especially beat him on the range.
TehLlama- you made an excellent point in your post, sir. I agree 100%.

nickdrak
05-31-14, 02:35
Wonder why on the slow-mo towards the end it cuts off just before he takes his head shot on the cardboard? Maybe because he missed it? I watched that video a few times and I'm pretty sure he misses the head shot.

Watch some of his other videos. Lots of misses. For example during his cover of the VTAC "Chaos" drill that I saw on FaceBook that he ran with a pistol he has a couple of misses on target #1 and most of his hits are far out of the "A" zone. There should be 8 hits on #1. He comically counts "One, two, three, four, five, seven, eight" (oops, what about "Six"???). If you pause the video you can see he only has six hit (two misses). When he runs it with a carbine he has more complete misses, and his "hits" are all over the place.

He's good at setting up circus tricks and running them until he gets a good clip that he can post on social media.

The only thing I can give him credit for is some of his reloads seem pretty smooth & fast and he has good trigger speed....but he misses way too much.

And exactly WTF is he yelling during his draw? Sounds like "JORTS!!!"

Moose-Knuckle
05-31-14, 02:50
Walking around with an unzipped coat works very well from my front door to my car. I tend to dislike hypothermia and find myself zipping up my coat in cold weather when I am outside for any extended period of time.

You sir need a "gas station gun". Spur-less SP101 or J-Frame in strong side front pocket with hand on gun at all times. Problem walks up fire through the jacket, no to much a .357 Magnum wad cutter or SP can't handle.

signal4l
05-31-14, 07:57
You sir need a "gas station gun". Spur-less SP101 or J-Frame in strong side front pocket with hand on gun at all times. Problem walks up fire through the jacket, no to much a .357 Magnum wad cutter or SP can't handle.

I have a few of those. Pocket carry is a good idea on occasion

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-31-14, 08:58
IT would be interesting to know how many CCW shootings there have been when people have been wearing parka jackets. Especially when it is cold enough to have to have it zipped.

As Chicago saw this winter, cold weather pretty well dampens shootings. And maybe I'm biased since my friends joke that I'm nuclear powered and I rarely wear a jacket and if I do its a level or two lower than most people- which is also a function of the reality that for most people, they don't spend that much time outside. Garage-car-parking-work-car-garage. I know other people do spend more time outside or live in places where you have to wear a parka.

tb-av
05-31-14, 11:19
I guarantee that it does. Maybe not on some of his speed vids though, they'd be hard to cut and retake. Obviously the best run makes it.

I'm not so sure of that. I edited him drawing against himself. Just grabbed a random regular draw and a choke draw. Granted there were only a couple to choose from.

The results.

Regular: index finger moved = start
Choke: shoulder twitch, could not see left hand, right hand twitch just after left shoulder twitch.

Those were considered start points being equal.

Regular draw: Gun out out holster and rising onto target well before choke draw.
Choke draw: When regular draw was up and online to target such that I feel he could have pulled the trigger... the choke draw barrel was at an angle that maybe he could fired a shot to leg at best.

Actual Shot
Regular draw: Fired at far target and he took a bit longer to break this one. --- I am certain he can break a shot faster so I would not consider that a 'best take'
Choke draw: Fired at near target and broke soon after level line of sight.

Both shots broke at nearly identical times. Had he been in a gunfight with himself they would both be dead..... however if he had just pulled the trigger the regular draw would have been much faster. He was faster on the grip, withdraw from holster, and point to target....... so if he was trying to edit towards making one system look better than another when you slow it down and watch it, they look really different but end up with very similar final results.

Grip: At time shot broke the grips looked nearly identical. Hands, thumbs, etc as well as they could be seen.

Based on what I saw... if he did 100 takes each and you took the mean time ... I think the choke method would at best tie. If I had to place a bet... I would bet on the regular draw.

TomF
05-31-14, 11:43
And most poking fun would be hard pressed to be able to meet, and especially beat him on the range.

You've mentioned this twice now, without knowing the skill of his critics.

I can only assume you're projecting the average level of skill you've witnessed from yourself and those you shoot with.

I can promise you there are plenty of hobbyist shooters who are better than this guy.

Straight Shooter
05-31-14, 12:15
OOOOH- that's a good un TomF. Thank you sir. And your video is WHERE, sir?

NCPatrolAR
05-31-14, 12:48
oh don't mind me; just sterling gripping the infraction button. For the slow kids, that means stop insulting each over this zero

tb-av
05-31-14, 13:02
Does anyone recall the video posted here some time ago.. .this year (unless it was old tread bumped )... two guys.. maybe three... drawing from AIWB.... Maybe guy on left had a shirt cover and drew from 3:00. Guy on right and forum member had a t-shirt on and AIWB.

They would draw on cue and shot a close distance object on ground maybe 10 yards out.. like a rock or can. I wanted to see what the times were like when placed beside these others but can't remember where I saw it. I thought maybe it was LittleLebo or IraqNinja but nothing is coming up in a search.

MountainRaven
05-31-14, 15:57
And exactly WTF is he yelling during his draw? Sounds like "JORTS!!!"

I don't know that it matters, but I presume it's some form of kiai shout.

Dave_M
05-31-14, 16:19

AIWB can be fast when wearing a zipped jacket. Grab/pull the bottom of the jacket/layers up with the support hand during the draw. Easier to do with a single jacket or attached layers rather than independent layers. Jackets that cinch the the bottom for maximum heat retention/more form fitting make this harder to do as well.

TomF
05-31-14, 18:37
OOOOH- that's a good un TomF. Thank you sir. And your video is WHERE, sir?

I'm not sure why you're so worked up over this. I didn't insult your shooting, I just said there are people better than this guy. There is always someone better...

I don't shoot video to self promote on the internet, but I do have some footage from range sessions for diagnostic purposes. If you really want to see them, I may have a similar drill to some of the stuff he's done. PM me if you're that interested.

ramairthree
06-01-14, 12:57
Also known as the "I am wearing a gi-normus recce smock over all of my kit, practicing transition to my pistol" draw.

Those that prefer to go straight for the pistol strong hand will argue with those that prefer the off hand tug over what is quicker.

Then an argument will start over the benefits of reaching your pistol if your strong hand is hurt at 3, vs you can't reach it for shit with your off hand with the carbine slung in front anyway and it is more out of the way from banging into stuff at 4 or 5 or 2, etc.

I find the guy entertaining to watch,
he is faster and better than me.

Sort of like watching Miculek do stuff.

skijunkie55
07-08-14, 14:45
There was some speculation as far as his credentials in the locked thread, so I figured I'd post this here. Don't know what 95% of this means other than he's relatively smart and is a firearms instructor, so I'll leave it to the professionals to pick it apart.

http://loadoutroom.com/10706/instructor-zero-speed-meets-accuracy/
"A former Instructor of the 5th Assault Battalion, Italian Military – Folgore Parachute Brigade, Instructor Zero has loads of experience when it comes to Tactical Shooting.
Here is what we can share about Instructor Zero’s bio:

Bachelor Degree: Investigation and Security Sciences – 110\110 cum Laude

Former Instructor 5th Assault Battalion, Italian Military – Folgore Parachute Brigade

CEO: OUTCOMES Security & Defence Advisors

President/Head Instructor: Spartan 360 Tactical Defence Group

Clinical Professor: Faculty of Investigations & Security Sciences at the University of Perugia, Italy under the Department of Humanities, Social Sciences and Training

Strategic design, analysis, study & implementation of security protocols for three high security clearance sites relating to I*** (Highest National Clearance)"

Cheers

CodeRed30
07-08-14, 15:36
So he's got a few security clearances, a college degree, and owns his own companies. I see ONE line that says he was an instructor for military. Note that it doesn't say in what capacity, nor does it say that he served and has oodles of experience. Looks like all fluff to me.

kwelz
07-08-14, 16:11
If there is one thing I have learned in the last few years when I got serious about shooting it was this.

Good instructors are not flashy and loud. Ken Hackathorn isn't flashy and loud. Nor is Larry Vickers. Oh sure. A lot of the good ones know how to have some fun. But when they are teaching or doing something serious they have a demeanor about them. I have learned to not like flashy and loud because of that. And it always make me wonder. I will just leave it at that.

WickedWillis
07-08-14, 16:15
If there is one thing I have learned in the last few years when I got serious about shooting it was this.

Good instructors are not flashy and loud. Ken Hackathorn isn't flashy and loud. Nor is Larry Vickers. Oh sure. A lot of the good ones know how to have some fun. But when they are teaching or doing something serious they have a demeanor about them. I have learned to not like flashy and loud because of that. And it always make me wonder. I will just leave it at that.

Watch him teach classes, he is not flashy then, but it looks like he does a really good job communicating with the students. He doesn't treat people like shit for doing something incorrectly, nor is he arrogant. I'm not saying any guys you mentioned are either of those things FYI, I am really replying to your flashy and loud statement.

Honu
07-08-14, 16:48
Hahahah awesome was going to post the same thing seems my thoughts are inline with yours most all the time !

Few of guys I know respect I learned from when. I was young one a sherif the other a old Vietnam vet said this very thing hands in pocket ready to go :)

Honu
07-08-14, 16:56
Also what seems slow is often smooth and what seems fast is also slower

Forgot what movie it was with Clint Eastwood when he was a gun fighter was one with the black guy as his bud Morgan ?
That gun fight was not about speed but tactics kinda thing :)
Loved that over the typical gun slinger westerns

WickedWillis
07-08-14, 17:09
Also what seems slow is often smooth and what seems fast is also slower

Forgot what movie it was with Clint Eastwood when he was a gun fighter was one with the black guy as his bud Morgan ?
That gun fight was not about speed but tactics kinda thing :)
Loved that over the typical gun slinger westerns

Unforgiven.

Honu
07-08-14, 17:38
Thanks :) my mind was blank :) hahahha loved that flick and the idea of what a gun fight was in his mind :)

Unforgiven.

jpmuscle
07-08-14, 20:43
Has anyone bothered to reach out to the individual in question and ask him his side or invite him on to this site and discussion for that matter?

Seems like that would be fair.

CodeRed30
07-08-14, 21:11
Has anyone bothered to reach out to the individual in question and ask him his side or invite him on to this site and discussion for that matter?

Seems like that would be fair.

I concur. However, given how restrictive he has been about making his background more public, I doubt we'd be able to pry much out of him in that regard.

NCPatrolAR
07-08-14, 21:49
Watch him teach classes, he is not flashy then, but it looks like he does a really good job communicating with the students. He doesn't treat people like shit for doing something incorrectly, nor is he arrogant. I'm not saying any guys you mentioned are either of those things FYI, I am really replying to your flashy and loud statement.

Where's this footage of him teaching?

Moose-Knuckle
07-09-14, 21:05
Hahahah awesome was going to post the same thing seems my thoughts are inline with yours most all the time !

Few of guys I know respect I learned from when. I was young one a sherif the other a old Vietnam vet said this very thing hands in pocket ready to go :)

Great minds and all that. :cool:

Arctic1
07-31-14, 14:50
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10204354754338494&id=1518955678

Hi Chen ,
lastly some of our common friend tag me about "Instructor Zero" asking for infos so here they are :

His name is Jeco Biccelli , when he was 18 years old he was a military conscript joining the 5* battalion "El Alamein" of the Folgore parachutist brigade for one year , every male in Italy in those years had to join the military for 12 months .

He was not in any "assault" battalion neither in any SpecOps unit , he has never been downrange , never had any SOF background .

Until few years ago he was running a trattoria close to Perugia , he was the innkeeper , from then he started a new company named Spartan360° .

He is using to shot all the week long , every week of every month , which makes of him a good shooter , with his fancy videos he is promoting his business selling his courses .

Well , there is not anything more to say , he is not a bad guy , simply a funny character .

Stay safe my good friend !

sinlessorrow
07-31-14, 17:25
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10204354754338494&id=1518955678

Glad you quoted, says page not found.

tb-av
07-31-14, 18:47
Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/InstructorZero

Training Videos

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLny9QgOkewpKPvj-3V5Aw53UUC2Uc12CZ

Web Page

http://www.spartan360tacticaldefence.com/

JusticeM4
07-31-14, 18:58
I find most of his videos entertaining; although most of his techniques are solid, they are not for everyone.

I'm sure we have current and ex-Military guys here (Marines, Seal, etc) that are just as fast and efficient as him. Most of these guys do not put shooting vids for personal/privacy reasons.

MegademiC
07-31-14, 21:39
I have a hard time taking someone serious that doesn't use their real name in real life... for example, I don't introduce myself as "Mega", people just call me that when they find out how awesome I am.

That said, some of the rolling and stuff is ridiculous, but at the same time, its a skill no matter how you slice it... I'm on the fence, seems flashy, but with some skill as well.

WickedWillis
08-01-14, 14:03
I have a hard time taking someone serious that doesn't use their real name in real life... for example, I don't introduce myself as "Mega", people just call me that when they find out how awesome I am.

That said, some of the rolling and stuff is ridiculous, but at the same time, its a skill no matter how you slice it... I'm on the fence, seems flashy, but with some skill as well.

Several guys don't use their real names on youtube who are ex-military, for obvious reasons.

Dave_M
08-01-14, 14:05
Several guys don't use their real names on youtube who are ex-military, for obvious reasons.

...and usually that obvious reason is, 'I want to appear to have a mysterious past....' and not OPSEC. Probably 99%.

WickedWillis
08-01-14, 14:11
...and usually that obvious reason is, 'I want to appear to have a mysterious past....' and not OPSEC. Probably 99%.

Or out of respect for who they served with, what they did, what operations they were in, etc. Including several members of this site that make youtube vids who don't use their real names. I'm not saying this is the case here, but what I am saying is I can totally see why guys don't.

CodeRed30
08-01-14, 14:26

This.

KTR03
08-01-14, 14:49
Watching the video linked at the top of the thread... My first thought was that he doesn't move off the X. We teach that the first thing you do as you draw is Move!! He may be fast, but he'll have to be to survive standing there gun fighter style... Off the top of my head I would have expected him to move hard to the right, to stack the two targets and then engage them one at a time.

jpmuscle
08-01-14, 19:17
My .02 is this,

Atleast the guy is out there and actually shooting. So kudos for that.