PDA

View Full Version : Ear Pro issue

rero360
05-30-14, 12:37
I have a set of Peltor COMTAC III that I mounted to my Team Wendy EXFIL LTP Bump helmet with the TW adapters. One thing that I have noticed, and I have used the setup while shooting yet, is that I don't get as good of a seal as I did when the Peltors where attached to the headband.

Has anyone else experienced this? I imagine it is because I have a narrow head. Finally, is there a solution to this? I'm thinking by bending the wires that the cups are attached to but I'm not sure if I would damage them.

trinydex
06-02-14, 18:37
i would guess the solution is to bend the wires. i don't know how you'd damage them, they're already bent.

SOW_0331
06-02-14, 20:59
Is there a way to put the Peltors back onto a neck band? I would prefer not to have my ears attached to something I don't always wear. The strap that goes over your head can suck with a bucket on, but I'm currently using a set that runs along the back of my neck and I've had no problems.

Isn't the Bump helmet non-ballistic?

rero360
06-02-14, 21:07
I have a second set of Peltors with the headband and a set of Liberators with the behind the neck band so I have flexibility to have ear pro without having to wear the helmet. The helmet is simply a way to use my PVS-14 as I legally can't have it mounted to my rifle here in CA (stupid law from the 50's) and I had bought the helmet before the Crye Precision night cap thing came out.

The helmet is non-ballistic, intended use is hunting at night, general night time shooting.

I've started bending the wires, got about 75% of the noise reduction I'm hoping for, I'll keep playing around with it but I have such a narrow head I think the wires are going to come into contact with the helmet before I get the seal I'm looking for.

Sparky5019
06-14-14, 20:49
I have a set of Peltor COMTAC III that I mounted to my Team Wendy EXFIL LTP Bump helmet with the TW adapters. One thing that I have noticed, and I have used the setup while shooting yet, is that I don't get as good of a seal as I did when the Peltors where attached to the headband.

Has anyone else experienced this? I imagine it is because I have a narrow head. Finally, is there a solution to this? I'm thinking by bending the wires that the cups are attached to but I'm not sure if I would damage them.

I had an Ops-Core military BASE jump helmet that was the same with the same ear pro. I went back to factory head band and spaced the pads inside out to accommodate. I have a fairly small head also (I'm between Ops-Core's s/m and m/l). I opted for another option as well. I ordered an Ops-Core Maritime helmet; it has higher sides so there is more space for the ear cups.

If you can't get or afford a ballistic helmet, there are several Airsoft suppliers that sell "bump" level clones of that helmet pattern. PM me if you have further questions about companies that sell ballistic stuff to properly credentialed civilians. Good luck!

trinydex
06-22-14, 23:59
this may not be what you're expecting, but if you get the gel cups for peltors they stand a lot taller than the factory foam cups, this might buy you the extra seal that you're looking for.

rero360
06-23-14, 11:46
this may not be what you're expecting, but if you get the gel cups for peltors they stand a lot taller than the factory foam cups, this might buy you the extra seal that you're looking for.

They already have the gel cups installed, I'm now wondering, and have sent an email to 3M, to see if they offer something like a spacer, giving your ears more space. I'll look around while I wait for their reply to see if I can't find something myself. I never would have had that line of thinking, thank you.

trinydex
06-23-14, 14:52
is the team wendy exfil high cut for use with ear pro? i mean i guess i can see that it seems like it is, but it just doesn't make sense that it's not getting you the right seal.

which set of arc wires and adapters are you using?

Wolvee
06-24-14, 12:10
Since the helmet shell size doesn't change, and size is adjusted from internal pads, could your head just be too narrow to get a good fit?

GTF425
06-24-14, 13:27
To answer an earlier question, you can put the headband back on. You just have to cut off that useless "leather" wrap that holds the cable for the earcups to put it on the ARC rails. I made the switch to the ARC mounts and then changed back after a while and don't regret going to the headband at all.

As for the seal issue, *don't* bend the wires. They're very brittle and you might snap them. If you have a bad seal, you're just one of the guys who can't use the ARC adapters and that sucks. Your shell may be too large, or your head too narrow, or your ears too large. You could also be having interference with the chin strap keeping it from sealing at the bottom. But if you retained your metal headband, you're in luck. The comfort is no different with or without the cover in place, and I actually prefer to run it without it, anyway. Before my Sordins were swapped for COMTACs, I always took off the cover to give a slimmer profile under the helmet. Just use some 100mph tape to secure the cable over the top of the headband so you don't have it slip under and cause a pressure point.

Honestly, the ARC adapters are cool and all, but there are tons of times I want my ears without wearing a helmet, and with a FAST/TC-2001 cut helmet, you don't have the cups under the shell anyway. If you haven't tried it already, the H-Nape/Epic Air pads combo is awesome with electronic ear pro. Just leave a little channel for the headband to route through in the helmet pads and you won't even notice it there.

GTF425
06-24-14, 13:37
I just noticed in your previous post you mentioned you've bent them a little and they're working a little better for you. Just be careful and don't go too crazy with it. One of our guys brought a FAST with him and mounted his COMTACs on the ARC rails. He didn't like how they were sealing on his ears and complained about them being uneven in how they pressed on his ears, so he decided to try to bend them with a Gerber. He snapped one of the prongs and did a good job of wasting about $50.

I still vote to go back to the headband if you have it sitting around. That way the helmet isn't married to a certain pair of ear pro, too.

rero360
06-24-14, 18:29
Thanks everyone, I ended up removing the TW adapters and returning the ear pro to the headband, I used some gorilla tape to secure the cable to the headband. I'll have to play around with it a bit to get it as comfortable fitting as it was with the adapters. I try my Liberator IIIs BTH as well but the band behind the neck wants to interfere with the nape pad.

I plan on keeping the adapters around just in the off chance that I come across something that will give me a better seal with them.