PDA

View Full Version : Does Teaching Kids to Shoot Guns Make Them Safer?

Amp Mangum
05-30-14, 20:45
http://abc11.com/news/does-teaching-kids-to-shoot-guns-make-them-safer/84630/

Yes it does.

NWPilgrim
05-30-14, 21:02
No, stupid kids are much safer.

Libs promote "education" on every taboo subject to make kids safer. Except when it comes to guns. Maybe because they don't control the training and can't mess them up like they want.

SteyrAUG
05-30-14, 21:24
It did with me. Through most of my childhood I actually didn't understand how an "accidental shooting" could even happen.

Then one day when I was about 12 I learned. My guns, and ammo, were in my possession in a gun cabinet in my bedroom. As a result whenever I had a friend of a friend or some new acquaintance in my room they often were interested in seeing some of my guns.

Whenever I removed a gun from the cabinet I always inspected the chamber to make sure the firearm was clear, an action that most people didn't even notice, before I handed a firearm to somebody. And on one occasion, before I could say or do anything, the kid I had just handed a Mauser rifle to leveled it with the muzzle pointed right at my chest and pulled the trigger.

He was of course looking down at the gun and didn't realize, or comprehend, what he had just done. But it was probably one of the first times I was scared to death even though I had just verified the chamber. That was the day I finally understood how careless and incredibly ignorant some people are about guns. That was the day I understood how kids could point a gun at another person and pull the trigger without really intending to shoot somebody.

To a lot of kids, real guns are just a realistic looking toy to play with. From that day forward I was a lot more selective about who I would hand a gun to.

TehLlama
05-30-14, 23:27
The amount of cognitive dissonance and derpiness when drawing the parallel between sex education and firearms education has been, in my experience, hilarious.

Amp Mangum
05-31-14, 05:53
http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/young-guns-kids-learn-shoot-23923921

walkin' trails
05-31-14, 06:54
Back in the early 90s, Dateline or 48 Hours or some show like that ran a story on a gun safety study using a daycare center. They placed non firing real handguns in toy boxes and book shelves. The test subjects consisted of two groups: children from families with guns that had some basic family-provided gun safety training; and children of anti gunners who didn't even get to have toy guns. The first group of kids were released to play. Video showed that when a gun was found in a toy box, the children of gun owners stopped and told teachers. these kids immediately recognized a dangerous situation. Then came the offspring of hoplophobes. It was the OK Corral all over again. I got gun-proofed at age 3. I, in turn gun-proofed my own kids at that age. I don't leave guns laying around, but I'm pretty sure I can trust my sons if they find themselves in a situation like that. Saddly there will always be accidents, but I would imagine there are fewer accidents involving the trained and educated than the liberally ignorant. I wish that someone could dig up a copy of that TV study.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

OldState
05-31-14, 07:17
What's even more sad is that you read ABC and guns and you already know with 99% certainty how the article is going to go

NWPilgrim
05-31-14, 14:49
LOL! One should learn what cognitive dissonance means before using it in an insult. A glorious display of ignorance rarely helps to support an opinion.

On topic, I agree with Steyr that early firearms training makes kids safer not just for themselves but others they around. Many kids get no introduction to guns and have little appreciation of safety issues. When I train my kids and now grandkids I emphasize safety practices are similar with any tool such as guns, saws, knives.

Bulletdog
06-01-14, 13:13
The intentional disconnect from reality and facts on the left never ceases to amaze me. Like or not (I like it, for the record...), there are hundreds of millions of guns all over this country. How could anyone argue that keeping children fascinated by, but ignorant of, a common and potentially dangerous (if mis-handled) object is a smart move? The lady in the video whose son died is a perfect example. If that other kid had been taught basic gun safety her son would still be alive. If her kid were killed by a power saw would she still be on TV lamenting that way. Here we go again blaming everyone and everything, EXCEPT who and what we SHOULD be blaming...