View Full Version : Digital cameras

Slater
05-31-14, 11:16
I know that most of us these days take pictures with our cell phone cameras. I've got an old (by today's technology standards) HP Photosmart that I've been using for around 7 years or so. It has 6.0 megapixels. I was browsing the local Wal-Mart today and noticed that they carry basic digital cameras in the $20-40 range with 14 megapixels.

Kinda made me notice how much camera technology is advancing. Anyone else stuck in the past with me or does everyone just use their cell phones nowadays?

montanadave
05-31-14, 11:22
My flip phone has a camera . . . but I don't know how to use it.

Palmguy
05-31-14, 12:10
My phone has a 13 megapixel camera in it.

My primary camera is a 36 megapixel DSLR (Nikon D800).

montanadave
05-31-14, 12:14
Getcha one of these bad boys: https://www.lytro.com/#lytro-illum-introducing

I don't know beans about photography, but these light field cameras do some cool stuff.

Alex V
06-01-14, 11:48
My primary camera is a 36 megapixel DSLR (Nikon D800).

I hate u... :-)

Had my eye on that since it came out. It's been a long time since I updated the DSLR body but the $3k price tag is holding me at bay. I already have the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 but just cant press the order confirm button on the B&H website lol

kwelz
06-01-14, 12:50
Pixel count is pretty much meaningless at this point. It takes a lot more than megapixels to make a good camera.

GH41
06-01-14, 13:14
^^^^^ What he said! GH ^^^^^

Palmguy
06-01-14, 13:25
Pixel count is pretty much meaningless at this point. It takes a lot more than megapixels to make a good camera.

That's true. My last DSLR (D700, 12 MP) is orders of magnitude superior to my 13 MP Galaxy S4.

Sensor size and the glass in front of it are far more important.

Honu
06-01-14, 16:19
as a pro photographer most my life 15 years underwater 15 years on land now
maybe like some that shoot for a living or shoot in competition one never has just one gun :) and many have specific uses
snap cams tiny true pocket my cell, M4/3, FF and Med format

a great chef does not make better food with a better pan :)

cameras help of course but composition/content is what makes the image
gear its more about glass than the camera
for me mostly primes as again the quality is there also some have great character and its sometimes not about perfection but the character of the lens that one chooses
good example I shoot a Dx lens on FF its the 35 1.8 great little lens and fun to shoot

a technical amazing lens is the Oly 75 1.8 about one of the best lens ever made ! out of all I would rate it in the top 5 for sharp edge to edge over any leica zeiss anything

is ones favorite photo one taken with the best camera best gear ? or is it more the snapshot kinda thing that truly defines a moment

militarymoron
06-01-14, 21:34
i don't use my cell phone for taking photos. i typically use my nikon DSLR, but ever since i got the sony DSCRX100 pocket camera, i've been leaving the DSLR at home more often. i'm pretty impressed with the RX100 so far. it's head and shoulders over my previous pocket cameras.

Singlestack Wonder
06-02-14, 09:26
Canon is the "top tier" of digital camera's. Nikon is the DPMS version. :p Just kidding! Both are great lines.

JohnnyC
06-02-14, 13:01
I'm about to pick up a 5D Mark III and trying to decide which of the lenses I have I'm going to replace with L-glass.

Expensive decisions......

SteyrAUG
06-02-14, 14:06
My cell phone sucks, so Nikon D5100 for pics.

Honu
06-02-14, 14:34
I just dumped 6 of my L glass :)
its simple you buy the 16-35 70-200 for sure and the 24-70 if you like that range
the 24,35,85,135 for best quality in primes but realize the 85 is dog slow focusing and the 85 1.8 is much quicker and more useable if you take things that move a lot
unless you are shooting for a living ? L glass is not needed :) the 70-200 is amazing though

I'm about to pick up a 5D Mark III and trying to decide which of the lenses I have I'm going to replace with L-glass.

Expensive decisions......

Honu
06-02-14, 14:41
Ironic canon has better flash units now something Nikon used to claim :)
Ironic nikon has better sensors now something Canon used to claim :)
they have swapped things and will keep bouncing back and forth :)

actually some of the 3rd party flashes these days have really changed things up the Cheetah lights as a good example some of the trigger setups now etc.. are also so good these days for cheap some of the 3rd party are catching canons flash setups not quite there yet but catching

cameras like the Fuji or E-M1 and GH4 with high quality lens are replacing some of the FF setups these days for certain things
lens like the Oly 75 1.8 and Panny/Leica 42.5 Fujis 56 are better than FF options for sharpness wide open contrast etc...

Canon is the "top tier" of digital camera's. Nikon is the DPMS version. :p Just kidding! Both are great lines.

Palmguy
06-02-14, 14:47
I just dumped 6 of my L glass :)
its simple you buy the 16-35 70-200 for sure and the 24-70 if you like that range
the 24,35,85,135 for best quality in primes but realize the 85 is dog slow focusing and the 85 1.8 is much quicker and more useable if you take things that move a lot
unless you are shooting for a living ? L glass is not needed :) the 70-200 is amazing though

The Sigma 35 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.4 are both excellent and less expensive than their Canon & Nikon counterparts.
The Canon/Nikon 85 f/1.8 are both very good as well and, especially in the case of the Nikon, provide almost all of the performance of the 85L & 85/1.4G for a fraction of the price.

To your other post, yeah, the Olympus 75/1.8 is incredible; it almost makes me want to pick up a micro 4/3 body again just to have it available.

Mirrorless cameras are getting to be fantastic. I'm about to add the Sony a6000 and a few Zeiss lenses (16-70 f/4, 32 f/1.8, maybe 24 f/1.8) for a travel kit.

Honu
06-02-14, 15:54
yeah :) the sigma art series is amazing and IMHO doing better than canikon these days :)

I dumped my 85 1.2 and got the 85 1.8 for canon a long time ago when I was canon on the noon side I used the 85 1.4 and the 1.8 kept the 1.8 which I use now :)
I have other fast glass if I need it

I am loving the OMD stuff just so fun to shoot and the IBIS is amazing
for weddings I replaced my 70-200 2.8 with the 75 and I miss the range of the zoom a bit ? but the 75 is so awesome and in churches its so quiet and the 1.8 is awesome and I am ok with a bit more DOF in this case it works for me :)

saw that zeiss touit E mount 32mm and 12mm deal both of those for $999 great deal

the A600 is proving to be amazing little camera Sony is doing some cool stuff a bit leary of sony cause they bounce all over
but I am waiting for the new A7 series ? no idea when but when it comes out I am going to jump on that and put some CV glass on it
I am getting out of weddings and going more into portraits these days so the manual focus won't be a issue

IMHO and you might agree :) unless you are a pro or have a real real real solid reason to buy FF most people should be looking at cameras like the A600 or the M4/3 options as the better choices for people who just want to take great photos

I carry the OMD all the time and my FF gear only comes out for certain work
in super dark receptions I prefer the handling of FF
using the nikon D4 or the E-m1 I prefer my E-M1 :) hahaahahah that says something

The Sigma 35 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.4 are both excellent and less expensive than their Canon & Nikon counterparts.
The Canon/Nikon 85 f/1.8 are both very good as well and, especially in the case of the Nikon, provide almost all of the performance of the 85L & 85/1.4G for a fraction of the price.

To your other post, yeah, the Olympus 75/1.8 is incredible; it almost makes me want to pick up a micro 4/3 body again just to have it available.

Mirrorless cameras are getting to be fantastic. I'm about to add the Sony a6000 and a few Zeiss lenses (16-70 f/4, 32 f/1.8, maybe 24 f/1.8) for a travel kit.

C4IGrant
06-02-14, 15:55
I know that most of us these days take pictures with our cell phone cameras. I've got an old (by today's technology standards) HP Photosmart that I've been using for around 7 years or so. It has 6.0 megapixels. I was browsing the local Wal-Mart today and noticed that they carry basic digital cameras in the $20-40 range with 14 megapixels.

Kinda made me notice how much camera technology is advancing. Anyone else stuck in the past with me or does everyone just use their cell phones nowadays?

I bought the new Sony RX100 II. I am blown away at its capabilities (and have high end SLR's).

C4

GH41
06-02-14, 17:17
I bought the new Sony RX100 II. I am blown away at its capabilities (and have high end SLR's).

C4

Question is... how old are your high end DSLRS?? I am looking at a new camera that has a built in phone! 20 MP, 4500 ISO, stops down to 2.0, CZ glass and big sensor. All for $99 with a contract! It is not a D5 but is a hell of a phone camera. There is a well respected photographer down here that gets 5K an hour for his shoots. A few years ago he got the contract to shoot fashion week again. His critics complained that he wasn't shit without his high end gear and editing staff. He shot the event with an I-Phone on a dare and got paid his full price. More than anything the Indian is more important than the arrows in photography! GH

Talon167
06-02-14, 20:15

Yes. I was going to post something similar.

Megapixels seem to be the standard by which most measure how good a camera is. All megapixels really designates is how big it can take a picture... the dimensions in pixels basically.

The sensors, lenses, etc are what make the quality of the photos better. Take a photo with a phone and a Nikon D800, compare them side by side, and you'll see.

Honu
06-02-14, 21:25
Sony RX100 in a pros hands a d800 in a avg or beginners hands the pro will deliver better pics :)
Could be said for high end cell phone to :) again content composition etc...

Same pro with phone or better camera better camera helps for sure

D800 junk kit lens won't be so hot vs a lower camera with great glass :)
Mega zooms tend to suck why pros don't use em but they are really handy for folks to not have to change glass so many pros have them for personal work knowing they are ok with less quality but convenience :)

Avg driver in a race car or street car will turn about the same lap time
Pro in race car or street will know how to push the race car

Same as a camera why I say unless your a pro or know why skip the dslr anymore

MP for sure 16MP phone does not match 16MP DSLR
22 caliber bullet ? CB cap vs .223 both 22 cal bullet but dif rounds for sure :)

D800 nice for some folks who want to printer over 40 inch but overkill in MP IMHO

When I did high end advertising work for Conde Naste travel and architectural digest or food & wine magazine most delivered files were under 16 MP :) and that is really high end work

Shooting in dark say dslr choices give me a Df or D4s over a d800 any day ! Lower MP but better :)
Going to the park with family nice small compact camera

C4IGrant
06-03-14, 08:20
Question is... how old are your high end DSLRS?? I am looking at a new camera that has a built in phone! 20 MP, 4500 ISO, stops down to 2.0, CZ glass and big sensor. All for $99 with a contract! It is not a D5 but is a hell of a phone camera. There is a well respected photographer down here that gets 5K an hour for his shoots. A few years ago he got the contract to shoot fashion week again. His critics complained that he wasn't shit without his high end gear and editing staff. He shot the event with an I-Phone on a dare and got paid his full price. More than anything the Indian is more important than the arrows in photography! GH

My SLR is about 3yrs old.

Yes, it is ALWAYS the Indian.

C4