PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPQ/PPX

Slater
05-31-14, 11:23
I've heard Walther's newer offerings (PPQ and PPX) referred to as "the best handguns on the market that nobody knows about".

I'm guessing with Glock, S&W, and all the other big names out there that Walther isn't the first brand that comes to mind when quality handguns are discussed. But are they really that far under the radar?

ColdDeadHands
05-31-14, 11:41
Dunno about the ppx but my ppq is the best handgun out of the box I've ever bought. It needs nothing but sights and lots of ammo.
People like to accessories and customize which is a big part of why glocks and m&p's are so popular. That and many law enforcement agencies use them because of price.

Sam
05-31-14, 13:09
Lack of promotion and advertisement from Walther.

MiamiCracker
05-31-14, 14:05
For me the PPQ is very ergonomic and accurate. I got mine as my first handgun, when Glock and S&W were having their issues(BTF for Glock & M&P with accuracy issues). When I first heard of it I did the research, got one and I love it. I wish it had a stronger advertising campaign, it's a great handgun.

Vandal
05-31-14, 14:36
Lack of promotion and advertisement from Walther.

^This. If Walther would promote those guns and get people to try them, they would fly off the shelves. Walther built one heck of a pistol with the PPQ and PPX.
I was sold once I shot the PPQ. The ergos are, IMO, the best out there. It is on my list behind another 1911 and a new rifle.

JBecker 72
05-31-14, 14:39
The PPQ seems much like a striker fired P30 to me. I would like to put some rounds through one someday.

LibertyNeverDies
05-31-14, 14:49
There is a lack of advertising, but there is also a lack of supply as far as the PPQ goes. The few shops that are close to me get them in every now and then but only a few at a time. The few they get sell right away and their distributors always seem to run out fast also. This is just what I am seeing in my local area. The PPS suffers the same fate in my local area but not to the same level as the PPQ.

There are no shortages of PPXs at my local dealers. The sales guys I've spoken to say the people who've bought them love em, but most people steer away due to looks.

Slater
05-31-14, 15:11
The PPX looks like it was carved out of a 4x4. Plus, I've heard a lot of "decent gun, just too damn bulky for me".

B Cart
05-31-14, 16:22
Between the ergonomics of the PPQ and the amazing trigger it has right out-of-the-box, it's a very hard package to beat for the price. To get a trigger similar to the PPQ in a Glock or an M&P, you have to spend a lot of money upgrading the trigger to get what you get with the PPQ right out-of-the-box. I think that's one of the main benefits. It's got the ergonomics of a HK P30, with a much better trigger. And they are very reliable. I have put multiple thousands of rounds through my PPQ now, including advanced courses and matches, with not a single failure of any kind. They are great pistols for the money, but definitely under advertised

Hmac
05-31-14, 17:03
The PPX looks like it was carved out of a 4x4. Plus, I've heard a lot of "decent gun, just too damn bulky for me".

Sheesh...what does a Glock look like to you? Hard to imagine a blockier, butt-uglier looking pistol than a Glock. As to bulky, the size and weight of the PPQ is almost identical to that of a Glock 19 (I own both). Can't address the the PPX since I've never held one. What did the PPX feel like to you when you held it?

walker2713
05-31-14, 17:39
I've got a 9 & a 40.....love the grip and the trigger....

FYI:

http://youtu.be/D_QhiTa-7OA

Slater
05-31-14, 18:09
Sheesh...what does a Glock look like to you? Hard to imagine a blockier, butt-uglier looking pistol than a Glock. As to bulky, the size and weight of the PPQ is almost identical to that of a Glock 19 (I own both). Can't address the the PPX since I've never held one. What did the PPX feel like to you when you held it?

The PPX? I'm a fan - in fact, got one on order from Bud's. And yes, I would call it even blockier than a Glock (if that's possible).

Arkansas Bob
05-31-14, 19:17
I've sold off my glocks and am PPQ M1s all the way now. Could not be happier. Have shot the PPX and really like it. It's what I recommend when people ask for a good "cheap" pistol. I just wish all of the mags interchanged like the pile of Glock mags I still have.

125 mph
05-31-14, 21:13
I just ordered a PPQ M1 the other day. I think it's the best out of the box striker fired gun on the market at the moment.

JBecker 72
05-31-14, 22:20
Does the M1 have the paddle mag release like HK? I see the new ones have a button.

Arkansas Bob
05-31-14, 22:27
Does the M1 have the paddle mag release like HK? I see the new ones have a button.

It does

HKGuns
05-31-14, 22:35
I own them both which says a lot. They are fantastic values.

beschatten
06-01-14, 00:37
The PPQ is sweet. I agree with everything said thus far.

Hmac
06-01-14, 00:59
I just ordered a PPQ M1 the other day. I think it's the best out of the box striker fired gun on the market at the moment.
Mine has been the only pistol I've ever owned in 35 years that I like well enough to buy a second one identical to the first.

JG007
06-01-14, 01:02
I hear good things, but haven't heard of any legit person endorsing them (vs glock or m&p), and no agency using them, there must be a reason and lack of advertising doesn't make sense

*and no +p ammo

Hmac
06-01-14, 01:10
Agency purchases mean nothing, since those are almost always made on the basis of dollars, not quality. How many police departments are issuing HK's?

I hear good things, but haven't heard of any legit person endorsing them (vs glock or m&p), and no agency using them, there must be a reason and lack of advertising doesn't make sense

*and no +p ammo

Other than Larry Vickers, you mean?

Just got a bit of trigger time with the PPQ and here is my initial thoughts;

1) very accurate
2) had a bit more snap than a Glock or M&P which I attribute to slide velocity; slide cycles very fast- still manageable
3) trigger is superb for a striker fired pistol and is already getting even better
4) magazine release is very easy to use
5) seating a fully loaded mag is no problem
6) muzzle flip is not an issue

I have no aftermarket sights yet for it- I like the gun and I am going to run it as my primary for awhile to really shake it out- limited ammo so far but zero malfunctions

Be safe

LAV

I'm still very impressed with the PPQ - I only teach with it on occasion as I sell Glock parts and Glocks are the most common pistol I see in classes so unless something develops in the sponsored shooter area with the PPQ ( which is possible ) I will continue to only use it part time

I think it is the best new polymer frame striker fired handgun to come on the market in quite awhile; I really like the HK P30 and the PPQ addressed the only real issue with that pistol - the trigger

Honestly my only complaint is a lack of aftermarket sights - the gun is a winner

Well I can tell you the PPQ has hands down the best out of the box trigger I have ever felt on a polymer frame striker fired handgun - that puts it in a special category

And shooting +P ammo is just fine.

Good post by JG007, though, considering he doesn't doesn't know WTF he's talking about. One of those "I should just shut the **** up" posts, in retrospect.

JG007
06-01-14, 01:16
I've only seen him recommend glock, m&p, and hk

If he did recommend it, that would count for something

Link?

Hmac
06-01-14, 01:31
I've only seen him recommend glock, m&p, and hk

If he did recommend it, that would count for something

Link?

M4carbine.net.

JG007
06-01-14, 02:07
No need to act all sensitive and be an Internet tough guy, but to correct you, I looked up the owners manual info (twice), and +people was clearly not fine

And there is a big difference between vickers saying it's a nice shooting gun with a good trigger, and saying it's a gun you should take into combat and bet your life on..... Which is what we're talking about

Lastly, agency purchases obviously mean something, and if was a better duty gun then a Glock or m&p, people would be using it

Hmac
06-01-14, 02:47
No need to act all sensitive and be an Internet tough guy, but to correct you, I looked up the owners manual info (twice), and +people was clearly not fine

And there is a big difference between vickers saying it's a nice shooting gun with a good trigger, and saying it's a gun you should take into combat and bet your life on..... Which is what we're talking about

Lastly, agency purchases obviously mean something, and if was a better duty gun then a Glock or m&p, people would be using it

What Walther says is what's true of any firearm shooting +P ammo, especially semi-autos. Shooting +P is fine.

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics of your PPQ pistol or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more frequent service.

“Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in WALTHER firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such ammunition may vary signifi- cantly as to the pressures generated.

The rest of your point...tenuous at best.

Phillygunguy
06-01-14, 08:38

Y"know HK says the same thing about shooting plus +P and the P30, right?

scooter22
06-01-14, 08:46

LOL.

It's been clearly stated previously in this thread why the PPQ doesn't have as big of a following as Glock or M&P.

I think that the testaments of the knowledgable members on this forum should be enough to persuade you one way or the other.

If it hasn't convinced you to at least try the PPQ, then simply move along...

HKGuns
06-01-14, 09:14

Agency purchases and paid endorsements mean squat. Learn to decide on your own what you like and what works for you. Most agencies can't justify the cost of an HK, I suppose that makes them no good? Hardly.

The LAV comments posted above are meaningful because as far as I know LAV isn't being sponsored by Walther for any of his endeavors. They are just one respected opinion, others might like something different, which is why there are so many choices.

fourXfour
06-01-14, 11:27
I have an M2. 500 rounds down the pipe. One of the most accurate guns I have owned. Feels great in the hand and carries nicely.

The only issue I had was the sights. I put on trijicon HDs and the sights are great. They are a bit sharp and I had to rethink my holster options.

Compared to my glocks, the PPQ has definite edge. My glocks tend to need new sights, grip force adapter, vickers mag release & slide stop. Depending on the model I'll swap out base plates. I still carry a glock 23 on duty and I really do like the gun, but I would carry a PPQ if given the opportunity.

As far as recommendations go, Paul from BCM said he carries a PPQ In an interview with RECOIL. This is coming from the guy who hires all of the SME's.

Wolvee
06-01-14, 11:31
The PPQ is a good gun, I'm just not convinced it's a long term owner like an Hk or 1911. I won't rehash the sight issue but mine broke off early on in owning one. I'm considering buying two more soon but I'm worried about current QC. Even on the Walther forums they seem to have mixed reviews right now. (..noting that most people don't get on the net to talk about something unless they're complaining.)

Back to the longevity thoughts, i'm not convinced it is on the same level of quality as my Hk's which is what I measure everything else by. Hk's ARE NOT perfect but they last and they go bang longer than many others I've owned. (YMMV) I'm not even sure the PPQ is up to the M&P's level. (previous M&P accuracy issues notwithstanding. Also Dougs sere knocks the M&P into the orbit.)

M&P's & Glocks are "good enough" guns that are cheaply priced, industry standards that get the job done and there is a ton of value in that so I'm not hating on them.

EDIT:
As for the "experts" giving opinions: I don't trust professionally paid experts on anything they say unless, I know them personally and I know I can trust them. Professionally paid experts are only one deal away from their next endorsement and bashing anything in your area of operation is bad for business. Most of us have also seen many expert give differing opinions when asked privately or in different settings.

Slater
06-01-14, 11:54
Most of the feedback I've heard on the PPQ has been pretty positive, with very few QC issues. Admittedly, it's a fairly new gun and hasn't had any long-term service to judge it on.

A lot of the debate has been on the PPQ M1 vs M2 as far as mag release (paddle vs button). Some folks like the paddle while other prefer the (newer) button release. I guess that's just a personal preference issue.

skipper49
06-01-14, 14:34
I'm trying to get past the looks, but a friend recently loaned me his PPQ M1 for a week, and to say I was impressed would be an understatement. Ergonomics were just great, and the trigger could not have been any sweeter. I also shot it more accurately than my Glocks (but not my 1911's). I had NO interest in the paddle release, that is, until I spent a week with it. I really liked the paddle. Know I'll have to buy a PPQ soon.

Skip

mig1nc
06-01-14, 16:20
Most of the feedback I've heard on the PPQ has been pretty positive, with very few QC issues. Admittedly, it's a fairly new gun and hasn't had any long-term service to judge it on.

A lot of the debate has been on the PPQ M1 vs M2 as far as mag release (paddle vs button). Some folks like the paddle while other prefer the (newer) button release. I guess that's just a personal preference issue.

I'm not sure I would say it has no long term reliability testing. It's basically a new model of the P99. In fact the ergos existed on the Euro P99RAD and P99Q before the PPQ. The PPQ is basically a P99AS with only single action mode on the trigger and the P99RAD ergos.

MistWolf
06-01-14, 18:46
While I listen to those whose opinions I respect, I don't care who does or does not endorse my firearms choices, because I'm the one who has to live with them

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Handguns/20120323_1726532.jpg

The PPQ is the first handgun I've tried that I like nearly as much as the 1911
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Handguns/DSC_0013.jpg

It's accurate, points naturally, has a good trigger, isn't afflicted with any bureaucratic nonsense, always balances well and hasn't needed anything done to it to function reliably right out of the box. I'm not worried about any aftermarket bling because I can think of very little I want changed. It carries well and has demanded very little in the way of maintenance. When I draw the PPQ, it fit's in my hand like it's mine. The PPQ has gone everywhere with me since I bought it
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Handguns/MediumGrip.jpg

The PPQ is the design that should have followed the 1911 and is what the Glock would have been- should have been- if it had been designed by someone who understood handguns.

I can't tell you much about the PPX except that it's an awkward looking pistol and a step backwards from the PPQ

skipper49
06-01-14, 21:10
Very well said, MistWolf, on all counts.

Skip

luvmy40
06-01-14, 21:33
I have very limited range time on the PPQ, so my opinion is biased but honest. I liked the PPQ enough from my limited experience with it to go out to buy one. When I handled the PPX and the PPQ together at the LGS, the PPX felt enough like the PPQ that I took a chance on it due to the cost savings and I am not disappointed with it at all.

Is it a PPQ? No.
Is it a great shooting pistol at a bargain price? Yep.

HKGuns
06-01-14, 21:47
I had NO interest in the paddle release, that is, until I spent a week with it. I really liked the paddle.

A lot of people feel that way after spending time with paddle release pistols.

The PPQ's cheap-@ss plastic sights are my biggest gripe with the pistol.

shutup&shoot
06-01-14, 22:12
I have a PPX and love it. For $300 I think it's a deal. Would I pay 500 for the PPX? No. But for what I paid for it the ergos and trigger are fantastic. Very under advertised gun.

ColdDeadHands
06-02-14, 00:53
Hmm...walther has a gear promo for the ppx you get a holster, mag holder and extra mag. Not a bad deal really for $350...I may get 2 or 3 to scatter around the house.

Slater
06-02-14, 08:54
I know at least one guy who likes the feel of the PPX but won't buy one because "a $350 pistol can't be worth a crap". I dunno, those who own them seem to like them.

beschatten
06-02-14, 09:27

*and no +p ammo

Larry Vickers said it was a great pistol.

shutup&shoot
06-02-14, 09:47
I know at least one guy who likes the feel of the PPX but won't buy one because "a $350 pistol can't be worth a crap". I dunno, those who own them seem to like them.

I see them for what they are. A home defense weapon. For that it is well worth the dough.

Slater
06-02-14, 10:17
Walther advertises the PPX's slide and barrel as being Tenifer-treated, so it has the "T" word going for it :D

Magsz
06-02-14, 10:19
I must be the only person in the universe that thinks this pistol "fits" the hand like garbage. Or, I have mutant hands which is a good possibility.

I don't extend my arms fully which means the pistol never sits in in the web of my hand completely straight. There is always a slight cant to it which causes the downturned area under the slide, the grip tang portion of the gun, to dig into my thumb bones.

IF that area was upswept like a 1911 beavertail I would be far more in line with a lot of the notions in this thread, ie that the pistol is great.

As is, it is simply uncomfortable for me to hold and present.

I also find it rather...disconcerting that half of this thread consisted of the user base questioning the validity of the pistol because it had no celebrity endorsements. Celebrity endorsements mean dick all when it comes to selecting, testing and validating a handgun design and the sooner we get away from this, the better off we will all be.

Beat Trash
06-02-14, 10:25
I must be the only person in the universe that thinks this pistol "fits" the hand like garbage. Or, I have mutant hands which is a good possibility.

I don't extend my arms fully which means the pistol never sits in in the web of my hand completely straight. There is always a slight cant to it which causes the downturned area under the slide, the grip tang portion of the gun, to dig into my thumb bones.

IF that area was upswept like a 1911 beavertail I would be far more in line with a lot of the notions in this thread, ie that the pistol is great.

I also find it rather...disconcerting that half of this thread consisted of the user base questioning the validity of the pistol because it had no celebrity endorsements. Celebrity endorsements mean dick all when it comes to selecting, testing and validating a handgun design and the sooner we get away from this, the better off we will all be.

Hand fit is subjective. It fits me ok. It fits my wife's hand like it was mdd for her. Which is why it's so important to remember that you are buying a gun that works for you, not for some celebrity enforcement.

I couldn't agree with with your statements about the celebrity endorsement comments more!

shutup&shoot
06-02-14, 10:33
I will say that the PPX does have a three piece barrel which seemed odd to me. Maybe that and the huge slide was some of the cost savings.

My next handgun will be a PPQ, for sure. I just know it will conceal better. But if I was getting another truck gun, it would be the PPX.

ColdDeadHands
06-02-14, 11:52

PPQ or PPX?

Magsz
06-02-14, 13:14
[/B]

Hand fit is subjective. It fits me ok. It fits my wife's hand like it was mdd for her. Which is why it's so important to remember that you are buying a gun that works for you, not for some celebrity enforcement.

I couldn't agree with with your statements about the celebrity endorsement comments more!

I just want to further elaborate on my earlier statement.

I find "fit" to be largely over rated when it comes to handguns as "natural point of aim" in my mind doesn't exist. You cannot build natural point of aim into a handgun and EVERY gun out there will sit in an individuals hand differently. As a result, I find that TRAINING natural point of aim is more important than the ol "closed eyes, point the handgun trick." With enough reps, I can point any handgun well. A perfect example of having to train a "natural point of aim" would be a Glock. When presented with one hand, in a bladed stance, the gun points "naturally" with the sights level. In a modern isosceles stance, without watching the sights, the gun naturally ends up with an elevated front sight. Or I should say it DID until I trained that out of my presentation.

Fit for me, has more to do with the way the gun tracks under recoil and how repeatable it is. A gun that beats me up under recoil is a no go, no matter how well it seems to point or feel in dry fire.

Just my two coppers and probably fairly controversial. The essence of my post is that I would strongly encourage people to shoot the gun before determining it comfy enough for ownership as that criteria alone is not enough for ME. As other's have said, the PPQ has the other desired criteria going for it, ie reliability and durability.

EDITED for clarification: My earlier post was in regard to the PPQ. The PPX is just weird in all of its dimensions.

JG007
06-02-14, 14:46
I like how making a educated and intelligent decision magically turned into "I want a celebrity endorsement", especially when most of the recommendations here
are based on the input of respected professionals and the firearms track record.

When I bought a vehicle I did my research and got a toyota, when I got a working dog I did my research and got a mal, when I was looking at a new handgun purchase
I also did a lot or reseach.

It has nothing to do with "celebrity endorsement", it has to do with the fact that, as far as I can see, no experienced expert, and no top notch unit, has decided
to go with this as a gun to bet your life on, and it also sounds completely unreasonable to say this is only because of a lack of advertising.

It may be the best gun ever, but apparently the best units and people dont think so.

*Ive found thats a good overal approach to things, if you are interested in a gym, a gun, dog, vehcile, competing in anything etc......find out what the best use,
and start there. Thats how you make a educated decision

shutup&shoot
06-02-14, 14:54
I'll agree with the PPX being "weird". The tall slide is still taking some getting use to as well. It does shoot very nice though.

shutup&shoot
06-02-14, 14:58
Not to get off subject but the whole endorsement thing is odd. I remember not to long ago that everything had to be striker fired. Now there is a whole thread singing praises for the CZ P07. Point is opinions change.

Slater
06-02-14, 15:37
I suppose Walther could say:"PPX - Almost used by the Navy SEALS" :D

shutup&shoot
06-02-14, 17:25
I suppose Walther could say:"PPX - Almost used by the Navy SEALS" :D

Lol. Maybe if they were leaving them in their bunks. It really is bigger than I would want to carry everyday.

HKGuns
06-02-14, 17:53
Lol. Maybe if they were leaving them in their bunks. It really is bigger than I would want to carry everyday.

226's and HK45c's aren't exactly small either, but they're not necessarily trying to conceal.

shutup&shoot
06-02-14, 17:56
226's and HK45c's aren't exactly small either, but they're not trying to necessarily conceal.

Yes you're right. I was thinking CCW. I think the PPQ is better suited for that role. The PPX would be fine for open carry without a problem.

Slater
06-02-14, 18:07
One of the major knocks against the Beretta M9 throughout it's service career is that "it's just too damn big for a 9mm pistol". The PPX (looking at the below comparisons) isn't exactly a lightweight but I've heard no similar complaints against it.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/06/joe-grine/gun-review-walther-ppx/

shutup&shoot
06-02-14, 19:15
I wish I could comment on the carry part more. The PPX was bought with one goal, home defense. I'll more than likely never purchase a holster for mine.

luvmy40
06-02-14, 19:23
The PPX is decidedly bulky compared to the PPQ, M&P, Steyr M9a1 or G19 but it is not significantly heavier. At least I don't find the slight extra weight a detractor. It is a bit more of a challenge to conceal but not insurmountably so. But, then I have gone over to single stack pistols for concealment anyway.

Sam
06-03-14, 12:58
Gentlemen:

A couple of yours are engaging in a very non constructive mud slinging. Please take it somewhere else. I've clean up the mess and let's keep it that way. Keep the discussion civil, polite and on topic, which is PPQ/PPX pistols.

RMiller
06-07-14, 17:08
Well, I finally had a chance to handle a PPQ, and all I can say is wow, I'm impressed.

The grip fit my hand rather well, fit and finish were excellent, and you guys weren't kidding about the trigger. Here I was thinking my M&P with apex trigger was slick.....the walther puts it to shame straight out of the box.

My only complaint would be the plastic sights. However, I almost always swap sights on my pistols for steel night sights, so that's null.

HES
06-07-14, 17:51
Well, I finally had a chance to handle a PPQ, and all I can say is wow, I'm impressed.

The grip fit my hand rather well, fit and finish were excellent, and you guys weren't kidding about the trigger. Here I was thinking my M&P with apex trigger was slick.....the walther puts it to shame straight out of the box.

My only complaint would be the plastic sights. However, I almost always swap sights on my pistols for steel night sights, so that's null.
Thankfully with the exception of Ameriglo, after market sights aren't a problem. Now what are you waiting for and buy one.

RMiller
06-07-14, 18:11
Thankfully with the exception of Ameriglo, after market sights aren't a problem. Now what are you waiting for and buy one.

I pick it up Monday :D

I'm thinking trijicon hd's or 10-8's.

trio
06-09-14, 18:10
I've now carried the PPQ exclusively for close to 2 years...today I had a chance to pick up a barely used gen 3 glock 17 for just over $300 so I bought it...first glock I've owned in over 3 years (I had switched to M&Ps prior to PPQs)

Wow...it's....awful....I mean truly awful

And I know that sounds harsh, but I am completely spoiled. I carried a glock 17 for 6 years...I fired 200 rounds through that gun every other day for the majority of that time period (do the math, I shot the **** out of that gun) so it's not like I'm a glock noob....

And when I started dry firing this G17 it was horrific...granted I haven't done anything to the grip or trigger yet, which will vastly improve the gun, I recognize and acknowledge that...but based on the similarity in price point, all other things being equal, I cannot imagine why anyone would choose a glock over a ppq

Now, I know all other things aren't equal...glock aftermarket support blows the walther out of the water....ease of personal maintenance, etc. But those things can be learned, or caught up on. The PPQ, I think time will show, is just a vastly superior weapon when it comes to ergonomics and trigger

indawire
06-10-14, 07:11
If I could only grab one handgun to take with me, out of all the ones on the rack, it would be my PPQ M1. JMO.

Slater
06-10-14, 07:18
The PPX seems aimed at the entry-level market and those looking for a basic HD-type pistol. At around $350, who would it's closest competitors be?

RMiller
06-10-14, 07:57
I put two mags through this PPQ M2 yesterday, and am blown away. At 15 yards it was hard to miss (as long as I did my part) and that was hitting a little 4" plate with regularity.

shutup&shoot
06-10-14, 15:15
The PPX seems aimed at the entry-level market and those looking for a basic HD-type pistol. At around $350, who would it's closest competitors be?

I bought a used 19 for $349 a year ago. The gun had wear but was in great shape. Deals can be found.

Now that being said I paid $300 for a brand new PPX. There is not another new full sized gun that can touch it for that price.

Blak1508
06-10-14, 21:46
5000 rounds plus through my PPQ m1 no issues, no malfunctions that were not created on purpose for training purposes just need more ammo. Only issue I had was engaging slide lock but that was corrected and user error due to my grip. I could not be happier with my Q, I carry OWB in an eclipse from blade-tech with minimal printing. I have a crap load of other holsters including cross breed, nate2tactical.com etc and the blade tech even though it's OWB is by far my favorite. I have trijicon regular night sights and have had them since I bought the Q almost 3 years ago, the are pretty nice but with the HD's being released I may switch this up. The Q is my go to handgun among a mix of others including an XDM M&P and a G19.
The aftermarket has come a long way since the release but if you know where to look mags, holsters and sights are available, maybe not at your LGS as with other offerings but it's still manageable to find everything.
I would buy and not look back, be warned the trigger is amazing. I have spent 100s of dollars trying to upgrade my other handguns triggers to compare and thus yet, no contest.

Enjoy it

Slater
06-11-14, 20:18
A shooting buddy of mine calls the PPX "the pistol for the Wal-Mart and Dollar Store crowd". I 've also heard the PPX referred to as the "White Trash PPQ". At least it's being noticed :D

RAM Engineer
06-11-14, 21:29
A shooting buddy of mine calls the PPX "the pistol for the Wal-Mart and Dollar Store crowd".

I thought that was XDs and Rugers...;)

shutup&shoot
06-12-14, 05:56
A shooting buddy of mine calls the PPX "the pistol for the Wal-Mart and Dollar Store crowd". I 've also heard the PPX referred to as the "White Trash PPQ". At least it's being noticed :D

[emoji17]
I don't even shop at Walmart.

Hmac
06-12-14, 07:19

LOL :happy:

What does he call the Glock then?

RMiller
06-12-14, 12:32
I thought that was XDs and Rugers...;)

Don't forget Taurus. :rolleyes:

Slater
06-14-14, 17:51
Evidently, Walther is planning eventual production of firearms in Arkansas. Whether that pans out, and how that would affect pricing is to be seen.

Gary1911A1
06-15-14, 04:19
The Walmart crowd here buys High Points and then go to Walmart to buy a cheap nylon holster made for air soft pistols. I can't stand talking to them about their trash they think was a great buy.

Slater
06-23-14, 19:56
This is what the $9.95 promo kit looks like (supposedly around $100 worth of stuff). Since the mag alone goes for around $29 or so, it's not a bad deal:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/001_zps8d8d0a95.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/5757_photos/media/001_zps8d8d0a95.jpg.html)

Slater
06-23-14, 19:56
Deleted

RMiller
06-23-14, 21:13
Added a set of trijicon night sights.

They are a great addition to the PPQ.

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/20140623_2029512_zpsnrolbhlp.jpg

mrvip27
06-24-14, 02:47
Added a set of trijicon night sights.

They are a great addition to the PPQ.

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/20140623_2029512_zpsnrolbhlp.jpg

I need some aftermarket sights on mine. Nice firearm.

RMiller
06-24-14, 07:33
I actually picked them up off the EE here. Used, but they were half price as new add still nice and bright. I do believe they're Trijicon's bright & tough sights. They're better that's the original polymer sights, that's for sure.

Bret
06-25-14, 09:04
I have a 40S&W PPQ that I purchased about two years ago. The grip feels perfect for my hand and it's easily the most accurate 40S&W pistol that I own. It shoots exactly where it points. Unfortunately, it's not bet your life on it reliable. Since the day it was purchased, it has had the occasional 3-point jam with a variety of factory loaded known good quality ammo. The problem seems to happen more when the mag is near full and when using truncated cone ammo. I can also frequently feel the slide hesitating as it moves forward. I sent it back to S&W twice. They replaced the magazines, but other than that I can't tell what they did. Regardless, they didn't solve the problem. I gave up on it for a while and then sent it to Walther in Arkansas when they setup their operation there. They shot it and claimed that they didn't have any problems with it. The service manager offered to try some of my ammo, so I sent him a box of Fiocchi 170gr FMJTC. The pistol did have 3-point jams when they shot it, but he left me a message on my cell phone saying "that ammunition is what our gunsmith calls green ammo. He doesn't think much of it." The only thing "green" about that ammo is that it uses lead free primers. Regardless, it works in my other 40S&W pistols and the primer doesn't have anything to do with feeding anyway. In his message he also told me that I owed them for return shipping. I called back several times and left messages, but the service manager would never call me back. I did get a call back a couple of times from someone else wanting me to pay for the return shipping, but I told them I wanted to speak with the service manager. I never received a call from him. After several months, they gave up on getting money from me and sent the pistol back. Of course it's still experiencing the same problem. The bottom line is that the PPQ is an accurate pistol and most seem to be reliable, but if something goes wrong their service is not up to the standard of Glock & S&W.

HCrum87hc
06-25-14, 09:18
I'm in love with my PPQ. No malfunctions in 1000+ rounds, and it's more accurate than I'll ever be. I thought about trading it out for the VP9, but I can't bring myself to do it. Based on some recommendations here, I ordered the Trijicon HDs yesterday.

crosseyedshooter
06-25-14, 14:56
Rightly or wrongly, I've always felt that the most reliable version of a pistol is in the caliber of the original design. For the PPQ, that's 9mm. I find it odd that the 9mm and .40 both use the same recoil spring assembly and spring weight.

RMiller
06-25-14, 14:59
I'd agree. Hence, why 9mm glocks are considered the most reliable.

Rightly or wrongly, I've always felt that the most reliable version of a pistol is in the caliber of the original design. For the PPQ, that's 9mm. I find it odd that the 9mm and .40 both use the same recoil spring assembly and spring weight.

Bret
06-25-14, 16:12
If I had to do it over again, I would purchase the 9mm PPQ. I do agree that pistols that are originally designed as 9mm's are generally more reliable than the 40S&W version of the same. However, pistols that are designed originally as 40S&W's don't seem to have more problems with their 9mm versions. Specifically, the 9mm H&K USP and the Steyr M9 come to mind.

Wheelhouse
06-27-14, 06:05

Agreed. I have Apex sear & RAM in my M&Ps, and while much improved, to me the PPQ is def. a better trigger. It's great.

Hmac
06-27-14, 08:29

I have a couple of PPQs. On one, I put a set of Dawson Precision (rear Charger, front fiberoptic) about 6000 rounds ago. They remain accurate, but the lighting at the indoor range where I shoot is such that the fiberoptic is less than optimal (they work great outdoors). On my other PPQ, I just the other day put on a set of 10-8's (front brass bead, rear U-notch. Only about 50 rounds since but I like the sights.

Installing sights on a PPQ is pretty easy. The front sight just bolts in. The rear sight does require a little time with a diamond file to hand-fit but secures well.

Slater
06-27-14, 08:46
Is the PPQ intended to be a concealable-type weapon? It kinda looks a little on the large side for that (depending on the clothes worn, of course).

Hmac
06-27-14, 08:47
Is the PPQ intended to be a concealable-type weapon? It kinda looks a little on the large side for that (depending on the clothes worn, of course).

It's the same size and weight as a Glock 19. Grip is about 3/16 inch longer, but set further forward. For me, that translates to even being a little more concealable as the butt doesn't protrude quite as much.

RMiller
06-27-14, 09:12
I do. I plan to carry it everyday as soon as my CC license comes.

HCrum87hc
06-27-14, 12:13
I have a couple of PPQs. On one, I put a set of Dawson Precision (rear Charger, front fiberoptic) about 6000 rounds ago. They remain accurate, but the lighting at the indoor range where I shoot is such that the fiberoptic is less than optimal (they work great outdoors). On my other PPQ, I just the other day put on a set of 10-8's (front brass bead, rear U-notch. Only about 50 rounds since but I like the sights.

Installing sights on a PPQ is pretty easy. The front sight just bolts in. The rear sight does require a little time with a diamond file to hand-fit but secures well.

I have some Trijicon HDs on order. Looking forward to putting them to the test. I've heard good things. I may end up putting a rear 10-8 on with the front HD. We'll see how that goes.

Hmac
06-27-14, 13:57
I have some Trijicon HDs on order. Looking forward to putting them to the test. I've heard good things. I may end up putting a rear 10-8 on with the front HD. We'll see how that goes.

Instead of an actual dovetail sight, the rear sight is flanged. That makes hand fitting easier because you don't have to match the angles. I used a diamond file because the 10-8 sights are melonited.

Slater
06-27-14, 15:02
On other boards some posters pose the question as to whether the PPQ or PPX is durable enough to withstand a high-round-count class without choking, or if they could make it through a torture test without something breaking.

I don't know if either pistol has gone through that type of test (except, maybe, at the factory), but they seem well built enough.

Hmac
06-27-14, 15:50
I don't know if either pistol has gone through that type of test (except, maybe, at the factory), but they seem well built enough.

FWIW

http://m.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&hl=en&gl=GR&feature=player_embedded&client=mv-google&v=sJaJmNPJpf8

Sam
06-27-14, 16:44
On other boards some posters pose the question as to whether the PPQ or PPX is durable enough to withstand a high-round-count class without choking, or if they could make it through a torture test without something breaking.

I used my PPQ in a portion of Ken Hackathorn's pistol class in April. Put about 350 rounds through it in the afternoon and night shooting portion. It ran fine for me. Before that, I've had it for about a year and a half, it had approximately 500 rounds through it. That's enough to know that it will answer the call if I need to use it for real for a magazine. I don't plan to engage in a 1000 round firefight with the zombies or anything else.

mrvip27
06-27-14, 17:25

Thanks for the input. Trying to decide with what I wanna go with!

trio
06-27-14, 23:26
As far as reliability goes, I have 5 PPQs. My primary PPQ has over 7000 rounds through it, I have never had a failure. The other 4 have varying round counts, between 1500 and 4000 rounds, none with failures. I used to own a 6th PPQ. It had a little under 2000 rounds through it when I sold it, never with a failure

The gun with the lowest round count is a first edition gun that I run primarily suppressed, and that majority of the rounds on it are with the can, it has never had a hiccup.

All these guns are 9mm.

That being said, I don't think the PPQ is immune to any of the issues that any modern combat handgun is. There are glocks that have issues, HKs, smiths, xds, sigs, etc. The key is that they are generally few and far between. It does seem that when I do hear of any issues with a ppq they are in .40. But I don't hear of many.

These have been my primary carry and defense guns for 2 years now.

MistWolf
06-28-14, 00:16
The captain of the Walther Shooting Team in Germany, I believe, had some 40,000 rounds through a PPQ as of a year or two ago

polydeuces
10-16-14, 20:09
EDIT - THIS IS A WALTHER PPX.

Putting this back on the radar for a moment: CDNN has them on sale for ~279 and up.
Comes w 2 mags.
So I jumped on it, needing a back-up, since I sold both my German Sig's during the craze....(yes I do regret moving them..sigh....)

Picked it up yesterday and here's my take - so far - will keep it short since i have yet to shoot it:
While it does not have the 'sleek lines of some other pistols, it is just as easy to carry, as, say a full size Glock, M&P, Sig etc etc - no difference there.
I live in Florida, don't have the luxury of sweaters jackets etc, yet the only time it leaves my body is when I go to bed. Fair to say I know CC. This pistol carries just fine.

The way it feels and points is absolutely great, BUT.... we all know this is a highly subjective issue. For instance I simply can not comfortably hold a Glock. Period.
Fit and finish is up to par. No compromise there.
Trigger is excellent, obviously feels a bit different from a striker, but it's light and a crisp break - I'd call it ~5 lbs. Reset is a bit loooong... and could be crisper but we're now comparing it to a well tweaked M&P. So out of the box....love it!
Then where I DO see the corners are cut is this: It lacks ambidextrous controls.
Which, I am convinced is one of the area's where the compromised was made.
Before going any further I feel it makes sense to first shoot the bloody thing, and then go into further details.
Stay tuned.
FWIW - I do have high hopes......

SteveL
10-16-14, 21:11
Putting this back on the radar for a moment: CDNN has them on sale for ~279 and up.
Comes w 2 mags.
So I jumped on it, needing a back-up, since I sold both my German Sig's during the craze....(yes I do regret moving thrm..sigh....)

Picked it up yesterday and here's my take - so far - will keep it short since i have yet to shoot it:
While it does not have the 'sleek lines of some other pistols, it is just as easy to carry, as, say a full size Glock, M&P, Sig etc etc - no difference there.
I live in Florida, don't have the luxury of sweaters jackets etc, yet the only time it leaves my body is when I go to bed. Fair to say I know CC. This pistol carries just fine.

The way it feels and points is absolutely great, BUT.... we all know this is a highly subjective issue. For instance I simply can not comfortably hold a Glock. Period.
Fit and fiunish is up to par. No compromise there.
Trigger is excellent, obviously feels a bit different from a striker, but it's light and a crisp break - I'd call it ~5 lbs. Reset is a bit loooong... and could be crisper but we're now comparing it to a well tweaked M&P. SO ut of the box....love it!
So then - where I DO see the corners are cut is this: It lacks ambidextrous controls.
Which, I am convinced is one of the area's where the compromised was made.
Before going any further I feel it makes sense to first shoot the bloody thing, and then go into further details.
Stay tuned.
FWIW - I do have high hopes......

Given the price and the absence of ambidextrous controls I can only assume you're referring to a PPX and not a PPQ, correct?

polydeuces
10-16-14, 21:14
Yeah...sorry my omission.
Will correct this now.

SeriousStudent
10-16-14, 23:02
I am seriously thinking about snagging a PPX for my daughter. They had a barrel of mags on clearance at the local Cabela's bargain cave. I think they were 9 bucks?

A pistol and a half-dozen mags for under 350 makes me think hard.

zacbol
10-16-14, 23:47

I've done multiple classes with the PPQ, often ending up in shooting in the dirt, etc and don't believe I ever cleaned the gun in between: several one day LMS clinics with round counts of around 400-500, Intensive Handgun Skills with Insights/Greg Hamilton which was probably 1600-1700 rounds over three days and Pat Mac's TAPs class with it, though that was part carbine. No issues.

Slater
10-17-14, 10:24
For the PPX, Walther has their promo going until the end of the year:

http://www.waltherarms.com/PPXPROMO./

polydeuces
10-18-14, 22:44
FYI - just posted a quick range review on the PPX.

SpookyEng
10-19-14, 12:15
I have a PPQ M2 9mm, a G23 (w 9mm conv barrel) and I have shot the M&P 9mm. The Walther fits my hand the best, has a great trigger and needed absolutely nothing out of the box (except night sights, I am looking at my options). It is also about $100 more than the other two but it's the one I carry, I shoot it better. YMMV

m4brian
10-19-14, 12:38
Yes - I'd have PPQs now instead of a G19 or MP9, except for the huge slide stop. They have great triggers, reportedly excellent accuracy, and have not been plagued by reliability issues. Very few have any issues with premature slide lock or failure to lock, but I know I'd be "that guy". Wish the PPQ had the PPX SS. Of course HK solved that.

Bret
10-19-14, 14:45
They have great triggers, reportedly excellent accuracy, and have not been plagued by reliability issues.
I beg to differ on the reliability aspect. My 40S&W PPQ (first generation, not the M2) has feed jams whenever I shoot it. Walther blames the ammo even though it jams with the very ammo they told me to use. I sure wish that I had purchased a 9mm. But, in regard to the trigger and accuracy, it is excellent.

mig1nc
10-19-14, 17:07
Yeah, if you look back over the history of the P99 and SW99 before the PPQ, most of the few problems that were to be had were found in the .40S&W version. These guns definitely need to be had in 9mm.

EricTheRed
10-19-14, 21:05
I've had a PPQ for about 700 rds, and the only failures I've had have all been the same.

My question, and I post it here because maybe some of the people with thousands of rounds through the platform can answer this for me, is whether or not it is user error, a gun problem, or just something about the way the gun operates. Let me state beforehand that I have not contacted Walther, and I am not trying to bag on them- I like the gun.

The error is when I am firing from reset. To me it seems that I feel two "clicks" in the trigger on the way to full reset and if I pull the trigger too soon (after a perceived first click that feels like reset) on a follow up shot I get nothing. At that point letting off the trigger completely and re pulling also gets nothing. Letting off the trigger, pulling the slide back slightly like a press check and letting it go back into battery solves the issue- pull trigger and bang. Letting the trigger pretty much completely out while shooting without trying for reset also completely avoids the problem, and that is what I have done for the last several hundred rounds. I experienced the error 4 times in the first 150rds or so before changing techniques.

So am I hallucinating, have poor trigger control, or has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Overall as far as the PPQ goes I can really only echo what everyone else has said about the ergo's and the sights. I have a Dawson FO on the front with a stock rear waiting on a replacement

zacbol
10-19-14, 21:21
I've had a PPQ for about 700 rds, and the only failures I've had have all been the same.

My question, and I post it here because maybe some of the people with thousands of rounds through the platform can answer this for me, is whether or not it is user error, a gun problem, or just something about the way the gun operates. Let me state beforehand that I have not contacted Walther, and I am not trying to bag on them- I like the gun.

The error is when I am firing from reset. To me it seems that I feel two "clicks" in the trigger on the way to full reset and if I pull the trigger too soon (after a perceived first click that feels like reset) on a follow up shot I get nothing. At that point letting off the trigger completely and re pulling also gets nothing. Letting off the trigger, pulling the slide back slightly like a press check and letting it go back into battery solves the issue- pull trigger and bang. Letting the trigger pretty much completely out while shooting without trying for reset also completely avoids the problem, and that is what I have done for the last several hundred rounds. I experienced the error 4 times in the first 150rds or so before changing techniques.

So am I hallucinating, have poor trigger control, or has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Overall as far as the PPQ goes I can really only echo what everyone else has said about the ergo's and the sights. I have a Dawson FO on the front with a stock rear waiting on a replacement
As I wrote a little ways up, I have probably 4-5k rounds through mine and have never experienced this. I haven't really researched issues with the gun since I haven't really had any but it may be worth be looking around waltherforums.com (if you haven't already) and I would certainly contact Walther directly. Perhaps someone else can be of more help.

ScottsBad
10-19-14, 23:31
I've got about 1600 rounds through mine (PPQ). I cleaned it once since the initial cleaning (basically a quick wipe down and inspection). Some aren't going to believe this, but I have not had one failure. Not a single feeding issue, light primer strike, ejection issue, etc. Nothing. The thing just runs....on practice ammo and JHP +P. I love the trigger and ergos, beats the heck out of the Glock ergos. It also has a quality feel to it, for a plastic gun. I did put some standard Trijicon green night sights on both mine and my wife's PPQ. Accuracy is excellent.

I like how making a educated and intelligent decision magically turned into "I want a celebrity endorsement", especially when most of the recommendations here
are based on the input of respected professionals and the firearms track record.

When I bought a vehicle I did my research and got a toyota, when I got a working dog I did my research and got a mal, when I was looking at a new handgun purchase
I also did a lot or reseach.

It has nothing to do with "celebrity endorsement", it has to do with the fact that, as far as I can see, no experienced expert, and no top notch unit, has decided
to go with this as a gun to bet your life on, and it also sounds completely unreasonable to say this is only because of a lack of advertising.

It may be the best gun ever, but apparently the best units and people dont think so.

*Ive found thats a good overal approach to things, if you are interested in a gym, a gun, dog, vehcile, competing in anything etc......find out what the best use,
and start there. Thats how you make a educated decision

Yeah, most endorsements don't move me. I've seen celebrities endorse $hit. Most of the time I look at what knowledgeable people are saying about a product, not celebrities. It also takes some analytical capability and a skeptical view of what people tell you, you have to have a good understanding of the subject be able to ask the right questions.

Unfortunately, using what the "best" use doesn't always work. Because their needs may be different or the equipment available to them may be different. Or they have teams of people who maintain whatever it is they use or they can afford to use a product that works best but doesn't last very long, etc. etc. For instance some 3gunners might use rifles with light weight bolts and are highly tuned for fast shooting of specialized loads. Because that brand of rifle works for the Pro 3Gunner does not mean they make the best rifle for people who use their rifle every day, every condition, with varied ammo.

If you eliminate the PPQ because the "best" don't use it you have miscalculated. The 9mm PPQs out of the box are better pistols than some of those used by the "best".

MistWolf
10-20-14, 02:19
...The error is when I am firing from reset. To me it seems that I feel two "clicks" in the trigger on the way to full reset and if I pull the trigger too soon (after a perceived first click that feels like reset) on a follow up shot I get nothing. At that point letting off the trigger completely and re pulling also gets nothing. Letting off the trigger, pulling the slide back slightly like a press check and letting it go back into battery solves the issue- pull trigger and bang. Letting the trigger pretty much completely out while shooting without trying for reset also completely avoids the problem...

Does it do this when resetting during slow fire? Or are you letting up the trigger to reset during recoil?

EricTheRed
10-20-14, 03:29
Does it do this when resetting during slow fire? Or are you letting up the trigger to reset during recoil?

It's been awhile, but as far as I can remember it was during slow fire. Although even while slow firing I'm not keeping the trigger all the way pressed in until recoil is over, so maybe we have different definitions. I'm headed to the range tomorrow so I'll shoot primarily the PPQ; maybe I can nail this down a little further. Haven't thought about this issue in awhile, this thread got my curiosity piqued again.

EricTheRed
10-20-14, 03:30
As I wrote a little ways up, I have probably 4-5k rounds through mine and have never experienced this. I haven't really researched issues with the gun since I haven't really had any but it may be worth be looking around waltherforums.com (if you haven't already) and I would certainly contact Walther directly. Perhaps someone else can be of more help.

Thanks, I'll check out that forum

mig1nc
10-20-14, 05:11
I'm closer to ScottsBad in terms of usage, but I too have never had this (or any other) problem.

I think a call to Walther is warranted.

Mine is an M1/First Edition... Not that it matters.

bjxds
10-20-14, 19:39
Moved to PPX Range report

Moss
10-20-14, 20:45

Check out Walther Forums. I think the thread is named First problem with ppq. This sounds a bit like what is described there.

EricTheRed
10-21-14, 00:42
Check out Walther Forums. I think the thread is named First problem with ppq. This sounds a bit like what is described there.

Thank you. After the above advice I did check out the forum, and that is indeed the thread I am currently reading. The problem discussed there is the exact problem I am having, reinforced by a range session today. Email to Walther CS has been sent, I will update here if I find out what the exact problem is and/or fix.

EricTheRed
11-05-14, 13:00
Update:

Could not have asked for a better result. Contacted Walther and received a prompt reply asking me to call them. I did and after a short explanation of the problem I was emailed a return mailing label with no questions asked. Frankly I was a bit worried about this since I am not the original owner and the warranty (and return form asking for receipt) states it is only valid for that person. I would have paid to get it fixed because really what other choice was there, but it's good to know that Walther stands behind the product above and beyond what they state. They received my pistol on Wednesday and sent it back to me the following Monday. Only "it" was a brand new pistol, thankfully equipped with the fiber optic front sight from my old one.

I cannot replicate the failure while dry firing the new one which is of course a good sign since the old one would do it while firing dry or live, and I'll be taking it to the range here in a bit to wring it out live. While no explanation was given by Walther, you could clearly see the trigger bar failing to engage the FPB properly on the old one. I figured they'd just replace the trigger assembly but I'm certainly not complaining about a brand new gun. Props to Walther.

cwgibson
11-05-14, 13:47
Update:

Could not have asked for a better result. Contacted Walther and received a prompt reply asking me to call them. I did and after a short explanation of the problem I was emailed a return mailing label with no questions asked. Frankly I was a bit worried about this since I am not the original owner and the warranty (and return form asking for receipt) states it is only valid for that person. I would have paid to get it fixed because really what other choice was there, but it's good to know that Walther stands behind the product above and beyond what they state. They received my pistol on Wednesday and sent it back to me the following Monday. Only "it" was a brand new pistol, thankfully equipped with the fiber optic front sight from my old one.

I cannot replicate the failure while dry firing the new one which is of course a good sign since the old one would do it while firing dry or live, and I'll be taking it to the range here in a bit to wring it out live. While no explanation was given by Walther, you could clearly see the trigger bar failing to engage the FPB properly on the old one. I figured they'd just replace the trigger assembly but I'm certainly not complaining about a brand new gun. Props to Walther.

My PPQ does this, I may have to call them and get it replaced.

DAVID RICHARDS
11-06-14, 00:18
My PPQ M1 is on my hip right now. I bought it when they first came out and got it from KY Guns for under $500.00. Money never better spent in my life. As others have said the ergonomics are superb. The trigger the best on any stock polymer gun I've ever owned. Which has been many. Hell it's better than a lot of those that have had trigger jobs. And it is one of the most accurate guns out of the box I have ever owned. Part trigger and part ergo's yes. But the gun just flat out shoots! Just put on some night sights which are some of the easiest to put on I've ever experienced. it's good to go. Never not shot for me in hundereds of rounds. Just superb all the way around.

ralph
11-06-14, 08:29
Update:

While I've had no problems with my PPQ,(M1) and, I'm glad they took care of you in this manner. Still, I have to wonder why they(Walther) opted to replace the entire pistol, rather than replace the trigger bar/trigger assembly? What was so wrong that it warranted a replacement of the pistol? Hmmm.

m4brian
11-06-14, 08:37
If it had a smaller SS I'd own three.

EricTheRed
11-06-14, 12:46
While I've had no problems with my PPQ,(M1) and, I'm glad they took care of you in this manner. Still, I have to wonder why they(Walther) opted to replace the entire pistol, rather than replace the trigger bar/trigger assembly? What was so wrong that it warranted a replacement of the pistol? Hmmm.

I wondered this too, as at least one person on the Walther forum received his back with a new trigger bar and assembly. Perhaps they found something else wrong with the gun? Maybe they have a new policy with this problem since some guys needed multiple send backs to resolve their issue? No explanation was given, and I'm not concerned enough to call and ask, so I guess I'll go on wondering. First 100rds through the new one went downrange yesterday with zero problems. I'm looking forward to the next several thousand.

EricTheRed
11-06-14, 12:48
My PPQ does this, I may have to call them and get it replaced.

Whether they replace it or fix it, I highly recommend you talk to them. I emailed them through their website support form and they emailed back telling me to call them, it may save a step to just call them.

ralph
11-06-14, 18:02
I wondered this too, as at least one person on the Walther forum received his back with a new trigger bar and assembly. Perhaps they found something else wrong with the gun? Maybe they have a new policy with this problem since some guys needed multiple send backs to resolve their issue? No explanation was given, and I'm not concerned enough to call and ask, so I guess I'll go on wondering. First 100rds through the new one went downrange yesterday with zero problems. I'm looking forward to the next several thousand.

Well, as long as you have no further problems with it, I'd say you might have just got a bad one, It happens with any mass produced product. But, it if reoccurs It's possible there's a problem.. I've got roughly about 3k on my PPQ and no problems so far, Granted, I don't shoot it as often as I used to, But, to date it's been reliable.. I should probably swing by the Walther forums more often and see if there are any more issues like this popping up...

EricTheRed
11-06-14, 19:58
Well, as long as you have no further problems with it, I'd say you might have just got a bad one, It happens with any mass produced product. But, it if reoccurs It's possible there's a problem.. I've got roughly about 3k on my PPQ and no problems so far, Granted, I don't shoot it as often as I used to, But, to date it's been reliable.. I should probably swing by the Walther forums more often and see if there are any more issues like this popping up...

There are plenty. There is a 26 page thread on the exact same issue on the Walther forums. I don't think it's widespread like a g19 BTF or whatever, but it's enough of an issue that I found out about it with ease, and as I said Walther gave me no problems with fixing the issue, despite the gun not technically being covered by warranty. They could have been dicks about it, but weren't. Yes, everyone puts out a lemon every now and again, but this was more widespread.

What the actual issue is I don't think I'll ever know, but I don't think when I can find a you tube video showing the exact problem that it's a rare thing. That being said I think Walther has done a stand up job, at least in re me, with this issue, and I would not hesitate to buy a PPQ or any other product from them were I in that position again.

bjxds
11-06-14, 20:12
There are plenty. There is a 26 page thread on the exact same issue on the Walther forums. I don't think it's widespread like a g19 BTF or whatever, but it's enough of an issue that I found out about it with ease, and as I said Walther gave me no problems with fixing the issue, despite the gun not technically being covered by warranty. They could have been dicks about it, but weren't. Yes, everyone puts out a lemon every now and again, but this was more widespread.

What the actual issue is I don't think I'll ever know, but I don't think when I can find a you tube video showing the exact problem that it's a rare thing. That being said I think Walther has done a stand up job, at least in re me, with this issue, and I would not hesitate to buy a PPQ or any other product from them were I in that position again.

I am glad to hear Walther stood behind their product and took care of the issue for you. I am a fan of the PPQ also. I have not had any problems. As a matter of fact the wide spread G19 BTF issues led me to the PPQ, and now I am glad it did. I have seriously considered getting a few more, but I was not sure about parts availability and CS. I have had some issues with issues with other products from quality manufactures throughout the years. The reason I purchase from them again is because of the way they handled the issues. Excellent customer service. Anything can and will have issues, its the way the issue is resolved is what keep me coming back. Hopefully I will never need to contact them, but it sounds as if I do, it will be handled well.

ralph
11-06-14, 23:32

I went over to the Walther Forums and read most of that thread. Wow.. I'm going to give my ppq a look over when I get home. It's currently my nightstand gun, so it will probably be removed from that duty for the time being.. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

ETA: Got home this morning, and looked the PPQ over, Looking down the mag well at the engagement that the trigger bar has with the striker block, it's still good.. The trigger bar has some wobble.. And what I don't know is, how much wobble it's had since it was new, compared to now.. It's not a confidence builder, I'll say that..