PDA

View Full Version : What tips can we share to prevent wild animal attacks:

M67A2 Zippo Tank
05-31-14, 13:11
1. Smaller animals attract larger animals. Therefore, my dog and cat are inside only. The dog is on a leash when outside.

2. Food garbage is to be dumped in a creek or burned or buried.

3. Never mess with baby animals unless you're sure it's mom is dead. If it's approaching dark, then alert the DNR, Fish and Game, or Animal Control. If it's in distress the above still applies.

SteveS
06-03-14, 09:46
1. Smaller animals attract larger animals. Therefore, my dog and cat are inside only, The dog is on a leash when outside.

2. Food garbage is to be dumped in a creek or burned or burned.

3. Never mess with baby animals unless you're sure it's mom is dead. If it's approaching dark, then alert the DNR, Fish and Game, or Animal Control. If it's in distress the above still applies.

Food garbage is to be dumped in a creek ?

SOW_0331
06-03-14, 11:17

And burned twice.

peruna
06-03-14, 15:06
Contamination of natural water sources is not a good practice.

Burying it is worthless. It'll just get dug up.

Feed the scraps to the dog, except for small bones which could perforate the intestine. Burn whatever is left.

ColtSeavers
06-06-14, 18:06
I'm sorry to continue the disagreement but I take issue with the first point. While out on a walk in the city/residential areas, yes, keep your pet leashed. However, when 'out in the wild', I never leash my dog. If she and/or I need to GTFO immediately I want her to have the best chance possible at escaping and I want myself (or family if they are along as well) to have the same chance. Having your dog on a leash is a crutch and can be extremely detrimental. Ever have your dog go around the opposite side of a street lamp post while just walking in the neighborhood? Now imagine that in a panicked situation out in the middle of the woods/nowhere at full speed. Or let's say you toss the leash end, then it subsequently gets caught on whatever while your dog is running full speed..

Raise your dog properly so it obeys your commands without hesitation and stays near you/your family would be a better bit of advice.

All IMO and experience.

Mbrokaw89
06-08-14, 15:39
Security lights outside the home that are motion sensors. It scares of coyotes and big cats. Bears are another story

M67A2 Zippo Tank
06-08-14, 18:56
Lived rural since 1976. These tips have kept me safe. The DNR[WV Fish and Game]agrees with my tips. Mother Nature is a damn pest, seeing it as the enemy has kept me and mine safe.

peruna
06-08-14, 22:24
The DNR[WV Fish and Game]agrees with my tips.

You might want to check again. Especially since throwing garbage in a creek is a direct violation of WV law.

West Virginia Code

§22-15A-4. Unlawful disposal of litter; civil and criminal penalty; litter control fund; evidence; notice violations; litter receptacle placement; penalty; duty to enforce violations.
(a) (1) No person shall place, deposit, dump, throw or cause to be placed, deposited, dumped or thrown any litter as defined in section two of this article, in or upon any public or private highway, road, street or alley; any private property; any public property; or the waters of the state or within one hundred feet of the waters of this state, except in a proper litter or other solid waste receptacle.

§22-15A-2. Definitions.
Unless the context clearly indicates a different meaning or defined elsewhere in this chapter, as used in this article:

(8) "Litter" means all waste material, including, but not limited to, any garbage, refuse, trash, disposable package, container, can, bottle, paper, covered electronic devices, ashes, cigarette or cigar butt, carcass of any dead animal or any part thereof or any other offensive or unsightly matter, but not including the wastes of primary processes of mining, logging, sawmilling, farming or manufacturing.

(21) "Waters of the state" means generally, without limitation, natural or artificial lakes, rivers, streams, creeks, branches, brooks, ponds, impounding reservoirs, springs, wells, watercourses and wetlands.

Jonah2014
06-10-14, 15:38
Wild animal attacks? Where do you live that you fear this?

I just ask because in all my years of hunting, camping and growing up in Maine I have never once feared a wild animal. I have spent time in the Washington and Alaskan wilderness as well, with no fear there.... Not only that but I dont know a single person that has been attacked by a wild animal.

ra2bach
06-11-14, 13:14
for wild animals, on four legs or two, I live by the words - "if you look like food, you will be eaten". I try not to look like food...

MontePR
06-11-14, 13:27
I say be ever vigilant. Aware of your surroundings and in the event of confrontation with a possible "predator"( two or four legged) for heavens sake HOLD YOUR GROUND!!!! If you feel an attack is inevitable take the offensive!!!! In the words of the Cobra Kai "STRIKE FIRST STRIKE HARD NO MERCY SIR!!!!

Jonah2014
06-13-14, 08:24
I say be ever vigilant. Aware of your surroundings and in the event of confrontation with a possible "predator"( two or four legged) for heavens sake HOLD YOUR GROUND!!!! If you feel an attack is inevitable take the offensive!!!! In the words of the Cobra Kai "STRIKE FIRST STRIKE HARD NO MERCY SIR!!!!

haha or just run away, fishing in alaska youd always see bears. As long as you kept distance, and didnt screw with them they would leave ya alone. Hell some of my friends offered up their catch of salmon to the bear as a peace offering before running away hahaha.

Abraham
06-13-14, 10:10
Due to feral pigs my 1 1/2 acre yard was constantly being plowed up.

Solution: I had it fenced completely. No more pigs in yard.

And yes, when they were still coming during the day, usually late afternoon, I would shoot em from my back porch. Mighty tasty..., but then they started coming only at night. Sometimes I'd stay up all night trying to get a shot and NEVER saw them. Sure enough though, my yard would be shredded, thus the fence...

DiabhailGadhar
06-29-14, 06:14
Walk softly and carry a big stick, preferably one with a large magazine capacity...lol.

Heavy Metal
06-29-14, 11:17
The WVDNR have a term for throwing food in the creek. They call it "Stream Litter" and the cite is higher than regular ole litter dumped not in the creek. I think the law or rule is 50 ft of a waterway.

I can't remember, I tend to write for Open Dumps and Waste Tires and never use it.

Bury, burn or dump food far from camp when you are camping.

Heavy Metal
06-29-14, 11:21
You might want to check again. Especially since throwing garbage in a creek is a direct violation of WV law.

West Virginia Code

§22-15A-4. Unlawful disposal of litter; civil and criminal penalty; litter control fund; evidence; notice violations; litter receptacle placement; penalty; duty to enforce violations.
(a) (1) No person shall place, deposit, dump, throw or cause to be placed, deposited, dumped or thrown any litter as defined in section two of this article, in or upon any public or private highway, road, street or alley; any private property; any public property; or the waters of the state or within one hundred feet of the waters of this state, except in a proper litter or other solid waste receptacle.

§22-15A-2. Definitions.
Unless the context clearly indicates a different meaning or defined elsewhere in this chapter, as used in this article:

(8) "Litter" means all waste material, including, but not limited to, any garbage, refuse, trash, disposable package, container, can, bottle, paper, covered electronic devices, ashes, cigarette or cigar butt, carcass of any dead animal or any part thereof or any other offensive or unsightly matter, but not including the wastes of primary processes of mining, logging, sawmilling, farming or manufacturing.

(21) "Waters of the state" means generally, without limitation, natural or artificial lakes, rivers, streams, creeks, branches, brooks, ponds, impounding reservoirs, springs, wells, watercourses and wetlands.

I stay out of 15A and use Article 15. Article 15A, the AJ Manchin REAP Act has no stipulated penalities. Dumbest thing ever! There is ample language in 15, the Solid Waste Act.

DaBears_85
10-28-14, 00:50

This made me laugh. Not sure why, but it did.

I'm sorry to continue the disagreement but I take issue with the first point. While out on a walk in the city/residential areas, yes, keep your pet leashed. However, when 'out in the wild', I never leash my dog. If she and/or I need to GTFO immediately I want her to have the best chance possible at escaping and I want myself (or family if they are along as well) to have the same chance. Having your dog on a leash is a crutch and can be extremely detrimental. Ever have your dog go around the opposite side of a street lamp post while just walking in the neighborhood? Now imagine that in a panicked situation out in the middle of the woods/nowhere at full speed. Or let's say you toss the leash end, then it subsequently gets caught on whatever while your dog is running full speed..

Raise your dog properly so it obeys your commands without hesitation and stays near you/your family would be a better bit of advice.

All IMO and experience.

This is great advice. I don't think I would've thought of that on my own. Not until it was too late, at least.

West Virginia Code

§22-15A-2. Definitions.

Why do they get to dump in the waterways?

My contribution: Contrary to popular belief, if you encounter a bear in the wild, DO NOT play dead. Bears will eat dead animals. Make yourself look as big as you can while making as much noise as humanly possible. Or, you know, shoot it. I hope it goes without saying that you shouldn't run or try to climb a tree. Shitting your pants will help as well -- if you hadn't already done that upon contact.

Watrdawg
11-07-14, 14:58
I have issues with both 1 and 2. I would never leave a pet on a leash outside in wild animal country. If a predator comes into the yard the pet has no place to go. No way to escape or at least try to run for it's life. I was born in the UP of Michigan and there are bear everywhere. Not many people, except for the idiots, leave dogs outside on a leash. Especially over night. More than a few of them have been eaten that way.

Throwing food garbage in creeks pollutes them first off and also spreads the scent down stream laying a trail for predators to follow to its source. Burying it does not good either. Burning, depending upon the conditions is a much better option.

Shao
11-08-14, 07:50
for wild animals, on four legs or two, I live by the words - "if you look like food, you will be eaten". I try not to look like food...

Awesome answer and agree completely. Nothing else really needs to be said.

Heavy Metal
11-08-14, 11:44
but not including the wastes of primary processes of mining, logging, sawmilling, farming or manufacturing.

Because the operations of those industries are such that they must interact with the stream. Therefore, they are exempt. That and Ag has a helluva a lobby in WV to be as tiny as it is.

rcoodyar15
11-25-14, 12:28
Only one animal in North America concerns me. That is the grizzly bear. Trust me they look much different when you are on foot then they do out the window of a car. I have had several encounters with them while hiking. Those suckers are awesome. Only once have I pulled my gun. This one was running down a trail straight at me. luckly the bear turned away before I had to fire. Bear spray is very effective but you sure do have to let them get too close for comfort before you use it. Happening up on one unexpectedly is the worst case. Stay out of areas where visibility is limited but that is not always possible.

Sleeping in a tent in grizzly country is nerve wracking to say the least. Rig you up some fishing line and bear bells or tin cans and sleep with a weapon is all I can reccomend.

Don't cook, clean fish, store food anywhere near where you will sleep. I reccomend you wash all food smells off you before you retire and put on clean clothes expecially if you have been fishing.

It is possible to have a mountain lion encounter that goes bad but for some reason that doesn't concern me that much

Now pets. Coyotes are probably the greatest danger. I hate those things. When you let your dog run loose in the wilds and he gets in trouble he is going to run to safety. Safety is you. He is going to bring whatever is chasing him right back to you. Be prepared.

rcoodyar15
01-07-15, 13:00
SHOOT THEM

If it is a grizzly you better bring enough gun!

MBtech
01-11-15, 21:38
Delete

brettd1982
03-17-15, 13:11
In the rare case of a mountain lion attack make sure you have a large enough backpack that if one attacks you, the pack covers your neck. They are ambush predators that go for the back of the neck, if you are hiking always check the high ground.