PDA

View Full Version : question about sniper rifles!

evenodds20
06-04-08, 10:43
i just purchased a S&W M&P15 and im already on the net looking for another rifle. im interested in building a Sniper Rifle. I would like something that is effective at long range but i still want to keep the Tactical feel to it as well. do people usually put collapsible stocks on long range rifles? ive seen a few tactical hand guards with the 4 rail systems. they made the rifle look pretty jagged and tough. ive also seen a few rifles with scopes that are like 2 feet long. i would like to try and keep it as sleek as possible but i guess range effectivness is more important than looks.im still doing a bunch of searching and when i find some pics i like, ill post them to show yall exactly what is in my head. thanks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/jtacsupply/ABSAR102.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/sbrshooter/PB190027.jpg
http://www.pof-usa.com/DSC02788.JPG
thanks for your input in advance.:)

jh1
06-04-08, 10:57
Go with a Shephard counter sniper scope.
i just purchased a S&W M&P15 and im already on the net looking for another rifle. im interested in building a Sniper Rifle. I would like something that is effective at long range but i still want to keep the Tactical feel to it as well. do people usually put collapsible stocks on long range rifles? ive seen a few tactical hand guards with the 4 rail systems. they made the rifle look pretty jagged and tough. ive also seen a few rifles with scopes that are like 2 feet long. i would like to try and keep it as sleek as possible but i guess range effectivness is more important than looks.im still doing a bunch of searching and when i find some pics i like, ill post them to show yall exactly what is in my head. thanks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/jtacsupply/ABSAR102.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/sbrshooter/PB190027.jpg
http://www.pof-usa.com/DSC02788.JPG
thanks for your input in advance.:)

evenodds20
06-04-08, 11:03
ok i think ive found a few more that im interested in. I really dont want to spent $3,000 on a rifle. im thinking if i were to purchase a bushmaster or spikes lower and find a long barreled upper, i would pretty much be there for about $1,000 right? does the length of the barrel effect range substantially?
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii255/XD_HK/IMG_1956.jpg
http://www.armalite.com/images/large%20images/Rifles/10sbLarge.jpg
i really like the armalite flash supressor! i would imagine i could build this thing my self pretty cheap.
also, say i purchase 5 lowers! if a ban goes into effect, will i still be able to purchase parts leagally to finish building my 5 lowers into finished working weapons? i know it all depends on the law passed but what do you think would typically happen? just banning the brain of the rifle or all accessories like barreled uppers and such? just wondering your opinions since im thinking about doing this very thing. i would like to get the serial #'s in my name and finish building them later so that if a ban does go into effect, i will have already basically purchased the guns.

Bimmer
06-04-08, 11:05
5.56 or 7.62? All three photos are 7.62s.

Use whatever stock you want, but the long-range shooters seem to like the fully adjustable (not collapsible/tactical) ones.

Bigger scopes for longer ranges... how far do you want to shoot?

Ben

theJanitor
06-04-08, 11:09
for a 5.56, i would order one of these from adco:
http://www.adcofirearms.com/detailpics/mk12.jpg

http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=2736

but personally, bolt guns chambered in 300+ are more fun and if i was to go semi, i would build a 308.

jh1
06-04-08, 11:10
ok i think ive found a few more that im interested in. I really dont want to spent $3,000 on a rifle. im thinking if i were to purchase a bushmaster or spikes lower and find a long barreled upper, i would pretty much be there for about $1,000 right? does the length of the barrel effect range substantially?
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii255/XD_HK/IMG_1956.jpg
http://www.armalite.com/images/large%20images/Rifles/10sbLarge.jpg
i really like the armalite flash supressor! i would imagine i could build this thing my self pretty cheap.
also, say i purchase 5 lowers! if a ban goes into effect, will i still be able to purchase parts leagally to finish building my 5 lowers into finished working weapons? i know it all depends on the law passed but what do you think would typically happen? just banning the brain of the rifle or all accessories like barreled uppers and such? just wondering your opinions since im thinking about doing this very thing. i would like to get the serial #'s in my name and finish building them later so that if a ban does go into effect, i will have already basically purchased the guns.
Buy the 5 lowers in case the ban goes in effect & mags just in case.

evenodds20
06-04-08, 12:01
thanks for the input.
5 lowers it is!!!!!
my wife hates this forum. she knows that every time i get on here, i end up planning on spending money. 5 lowers, and i think 20 USGI 30 round Mags would be enough for standby. i also plan on getting some Pmags with the windows. maybe 10....thats a nice round # isnt it?
as for the rifle; i was originally thinking of putting together a varmint rifle with a chrome barrel. i would like to shoot at around 500 yards! i really dont know that much about them or their capabilities, but im interested in this type of rifle and would love to have one in my collection. what distances should i expect to shoot? are there long distance ranges available for this type of shooting? i think for ammo i would like to stick with the .223/5.56 round just so its easier for me but out of curiosity, how hard would it be to make a 50 cal rifle? i know the rounds would be outrageous but i would love to tell my friends i have a 50cal sniper rifle.do i have to change parts in the lower reciever or just snap on a 50cal upper?

theJanitor
06-04-08, 13:13
ok, now you're into a whole new ballgame. do some research on the different semi-auto platforms and pay attention to what cartridges can fit in the various receivers. all the pics that you posted seem to be 30 cal.

evenodds20
06-04-08, 14:04
sorry for the confusion. i just found these pics for the visual effect. i really wasnt aware of the caliber of these rifles. i dont really care what caliber im using as long as its not smaller than the .223/5.56 rounds. i would probably be ok with a 223, 7.62, or the almighty 50cal !! i really am unaware of what other caliber options i have out there.
but keep in mind i dont want to spend more than about $1,000 to $1,500 total for the rifle. (opitcs and accessories not included) i felt it may be better if i were to build on. im looking for something with a a tactical feel to it, long range effective, (well i really dont know what these rifles are capable of so i may want 300yards or 1500yards) whatever the furthest distance i can get without BIG price jumps in scopes and things of that nature. probably looking for something like a 22-24 inch barrel. again i really dont know too much about them accept they look nasty, and perform just as well.

Jeremy
06-04-08, 14:25
I run a DPMS .308 as my sniper rig for work and the PD has two of them as well. All of them came with the M4 stock and none have them now. I am not saying that they don't work, but we have found more consistency with a more rigid stock. I ended up purchasing several different stocks until I found one that fit me the best. If the Magpul UBR locks as tight as rumored, then this is the one I would look at but it was not available when I started building my gun.

We run 16 inch barrels as our anticipated distances aren't very great and we wanted manueverability. From my experience, the shorter barrel looses velocity which effects drop and drift at longer distances. Out to 4-500 yards, the difference in accuracy has been me more than velocity.

evenodds20
06-04-08, 14:59
awesome. i guess a 20-24 inch barrel should be more than enough then. im thinking of going with a fully adjustable sniper stock of some sort. i have a bit more research to do. i guess ill get something like a 10-12 inch 4 rail handgaurd. im thinking of just keeping it 223 since ill already be purchasing ammo for my m4. ALTHOUGH, i do plan on getting an AK47 and maybe i could just use 7.62 ammo for my sniper setup. im not too familiar with the 308. whats more popular? i just figured i would get a long barreled ar15 and call it a sniper rifle. but that shows my lack of knowledge.

Josh_Denny
06-04-08, 16:52
For a true sniper/precision rifle I would go with an adjustable stock like the Magpul PRS or similar. However if you look at the SPR type rifles most are stocked with some type of collapsible stock. I think of the SPR rifles as basically a meld between your typical carbine and a sniper/precision carbine. Not quite a full-on precision rig but close enough for the limitations of the cartridge. Ultimately go with what works for you. If you want a collapsible try it out and if it doesn't feel right or fit well with bench/bipod shooting or whatever you intend try a PRS.

KTR03
06-05-08, 10:50
It really depends on your tolerance for financial pain. One of the problems you are going to have is optics... You can easily (very, very easily) spend 1500 dollars on the optics and rings alone. I have the most experience with IOR and Leupold and they are awesome but are going to eat up most of your budget. If you want a cheaper functional scope, you might want to look at the 10x supersnipers from SWFA. They are pretty decent (as are the nikons). If you are wanting true long range precision and lethality you are going to want 30 cal. That puts you into a different level of expense for the gun and the ammunition. Resist the temptation to cheap out on the glass. To make a sweeping generalization you are better off with a 800 dollar rifle and a 800 dollar scope then you are with a 1300 dollar rifle and a 300 dollar scope.

As you decide what to get, look into the magazine situation if you are going to go 30 cal. Not all 308 ARs use the same magazines and some are more expensive then others.

Also resist the temptation to go with what looks cool. If you want a serious tool, get the gear and don't worry what it looks like. My XD is ass ugly, but it works.

evenodds20
06-06-08, 11:56
haha. cool. i really appreciate all of the responses. ive found an AR10 that im really attracted to and am currently in the process of convincing my wife of why i need this weapon. i tell her its for WW3. and her answer is NO. so i have a bit more convincing to do.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/MinesBroken_album/IMG_9951.jpg
i guess what im really looking for is a carbine type sniper rifle. this right here about sums everything up that im looking for.

Combat_Diver
06-06-08, 14:52
evenodds,

Think through on what you want and what your capabilities are. Can you even shoot well enough to hit at 500? And what size target? 18" bulls or 5" targets? Can you read wind? Estimate range? Before you start spending a large amount of money on equipment ask yourself if you would be better off learn how to shoot accurately with what you already have? This might mean more ammo and range time at a good school instead of a new gun using your Smith and Wesson rifle. I have no problem hitting E type targets out to 500/600 with either M16A2 or M4A1 with iron sights because I get out to the range and shoot. Hardest part is find a range long enough. What limit is your range?

If you stay with 5.56 for your ammo than on your next upper or rifle you might go with a faster twist bbl (1:7) to stabilize the heavier bullets for longer range. Go with a flat top to mount a good quality scope. Good luck.

CD

Perryguy
06-06-08, 15:44
Here's an idea, rather than spend lots of Frankilns on an adjustable stock, use a 50-60 dollar A2 and see how it feels. If the LOP and and cheek weld feel good you just saved some dough...

evenodds20
06-08-08, 00:25
im going to get a varmint rifle in .308 caliber with a 24" barrel. ill end up decking it out with a 10 or 12 inch tactical 4 rail hand gaurd and a bi-pod. ill probably also put a magpul adjustable stock on it. some troy or gg&g BUIS and ill do a bit of research on scopes. i understand what you are saying about knowing how to use the fancy equipment and getting good at what i have. i actually plan on just building one for my collection as well as learning how to shoot at 500 yards. i have a range in my area that goes to 300 yards i think but there is another one in the next town that is more than 300, although im not sure exactly how much more. i just want to get one of these tactical sniper rifles in my posession before any legislation goes into effect. even if it doesnt happen right away, prices are creeping up in my area. hell, bushmaster just went up in price my $200 just a few weeks ago says an LE dealer in my area. i plan on purchasing a few more ar15 recievers to build incase a ban did go into effect and doesnt expire for 10 years, my 7 month old son will have a completely custom AR15 waiting for him to grow into it.