PDA

View Full Version : Noveske N4 Light carbine upper...overkill for newb?

BaileyMoto
06-04-08, 11:05
I almost wish I would have bought an off the shelf DPMS at my local dealer. At the time, I knew nothing about AR's. Since Ive started doing my homework, Ive realized thats not what I want. Still a newb, but I have been doing countless hours of research and learning a great deal about these rifles.

With that said, after pricing together what I want, DD/VLTOR rails, noveske or CMMG barrel, carrier, etc etc, it seems that I wouldnt be spending much more at all if I just went with a complete Noveske upper. Matter of fact, considering theirs comes with the troy BUIS, it's about the same, if not cheaper. It would also match my Noveske lower quite nicely :)

I will be spending in the neighborhood of $1500-$1600 total for the rifle, not including optics (a couple hundred less if I delete or later sell the BUIS). Ive had some internet-guru's tell me that this is way overboard (and even way overpriced, I disagree) for a first time AR owner. Sure, the gun can only shoot as good as the operator, but its always nice to know you have some of the best equipment out there, no? I figure I'll at least have the option of evolving my skills WITH the rifle, rather than spending more in the long run upgrading parts I wish I had in the first place.

Jay Cunningham
06-04-08, 11:11
There are a lot of self-styled internet gurus who just like to see their own words.

You can't go wrong with a Noveske. If you have done your homework (which you have) then you will end up with a first-time setup that you will need to make minimal changes to. I think that's a good thing.

I think some of the cranky old guys would prefer that you go through everything they did - personally I would prefer if you could learn from what I went through and skip over a lot of that pain. That's why M4C is here - to help you out.

:cool:

theJanitor
06-04-08, 11:13
since when is top quality going overboard? buy good stuff. that way you can focus on training and not worry about your equipment.

NoBody
06-04-08, 11:21
I have the Noveske N4 Light Carbine Low Profile. It's a great set-up and a great deal with the military/LE discount.

The only thing I did was replace the Troy folding front sight with a fixed LMT sight, installed a Tango Down stubby, and added an Aimpoint M4s as the optic. I couldn't be more satisfied with the weapon or John Noveske's customer service.

DocGKR
06-04-08, 11:22
The Noveske N4 16" Lightweight is a very good choice for anyone; it functions properly and is quite durable--something many other AR15's are NOT.

I spent my own funds on purchasing a MSTN built upper using the Noveske N4 LW middy 16" barrel--it is absolutely outstanding.

Warrior
06-04-08, 11:23
I think the Noveske is an excellent first AR. Whenever anyone asks me "what should I get for my first AR?" I always say Colt,LMT, Noveske. Whoever said that is overkill for a first time buyer is wrong in a world of opinions. I think someone new to the system should get the best from the start. You want somthing that is going to work so you can train, train, train. If its constantly malfunctioning you won't be training. YMMV

markm
06-04-08, 11:28
You can't go wrong with a Noveske. If you have done your homework (which you have) then you will end up with a first-time setup that you will need to make minimal changes to. I think that's a good thing.

Indeed!

I've NEVER read or heard of anyone regretting a quality firearm purchase over a cheapo alternative.

You can search the site, but I bet you won't find a Colt or Noveske owner saying he should have just went with an OLY PLINKER! :p

austinN4
06-04-08, 11:59
You can search the site, but I bet you won't find a Colt or Noveske owner saying he should have just went with an OLY PLINKER! :p
So true! I am a first time M4gery owner, but my budget wouldn't let me buy a Noveske. If it had, I surely would have.

YVK
06-04-08, 12:16
Indeed!

I've NEVER read or heard of anyone regretting a quality firearm purchase over a cheapo alternative.

+1.

I was in the same shoes about a year ago when I was getting my AR. I chose to get what I thought was the best, and had MSTN build me an upper around Noveske LW barrel. No regrets, none, even though it broke my bank:)

Parabellum9x19mm
06-04-08, 14:08
don't buy a N4 as your first AR

.....you'll be setting your standards too high right out of the gate and you'll wind up looking down your nose at 99% of the other brands out there.

get a Hesse instead.

just kidding :D

TOrrock
06-04-08, 14:14
Buy right the first time and you'll spend less money in the long run.

Go for it! :D

N4LtRecce
06-04-08, 16:28
My N4 was my first AR. No regrets. Buy once, cry once!

Blake
06-04-08, 19:46
I don't see how buying a top-of-the-line weapons system can be be a bad thing, for any level of shooter, once the choice has been determined that you wish to purchase a certain platform.

Bulldog1967
06-04-08, 20:07
You only pay for quality once.

signal4l
06-04-08, 20:26
I would have saved a good bit of money if I bought a tier 1 AR from the start. My humble suggestion is 1. listen to those that know more than you. 2. buy the best you can afford

nickdrak
06-05-08, 00:18
I think some of the cranky old guys would prefer that you go through everything they did - personally I would prefer if you could learn from what I went through and skip over a lot of that pain.

I believe the above is absolutely correct. I only wish I had the amount of relevant info available to me that is available now when I was contemplating my first AR purchase. My current duty rifle is in its fifth or sixth configuration, and through all of those previous configurations I bet I have spent close to $10K or more....on one rifle!

If the Noveske is in your budget, Get it! and you wont regret getting one of the best available options on the market.

There is absolutely NO reason to buy a substandard product simply because it is your first AR, when you are in position to buy the best. Sounds like you made up your mind anyway!

Bimmer
06-05-08, 05:53
Ive had some internet-guru's tell me that this is way overboard (and even way overpriced, I disagree) for a first time AR owner.

If you're new to guns, then I wouldn't start with an AR (buy a .22). If you're just new to ARs, then by all means, buy the best you can afford.

Unlike, say, motorcycles or cars, it's not as if better/pricier guns are harder to shoot well (quite the opposite).

Ben

torsf
06-05-08, 09:43
Everytime I start pricing out what I want, the price always ends up being right around the price of the Noveske basic + a rail (I'm going to go for an Omega rail).

bootfoot
06-05-08, 13:03
I just did what you're doing. Had the same question. I reverted to the advice a friend of mine gave me long ago about buying guns:

"If you want it, and you can afford it, buy it."

Needless to say, he wasn't the guy to go see if you wanted to be talked out of buying something.

bootfoot

ps - You didn't really think anyone here was gonna discourage you from buying a Noveske did you? :D