PDA

View Full Version : Glock Magazine Spring ?

Bpc9876
05-31-14, 17:48
I am going to pick up some extra magazine springs for the plethora of 19, 17 and 18 Glock mags I have. My question is should I go with tried and true OEM springs or what are your thoughts on the Wolf Springs? They generally offer 5-10% extra power. I have no experience with them but it sounds good especially in mags I have +2 or more extensions on. Thanks for your thoughts I know it's not a sexy topic like RMR's lol

ggammell
05-31-14, 18:44
Did you have problems with the OEM springs (aside from normal wear from usage)? If you didn't then I'd stick with OEM.

Voodoo_Man
05-31-14, 19:09
Mags are like $25 bucks or something like that.

Use em, abuse em, buy new ones.

No need for replacement parts.

...and I have a few coworkers that have the same Gen1 Glock 17 mags they were issued in the early 90's that have NEVER been unloaded and they still function fine.

Bpc9876
05-31-14, 19:58
Voodoo Man I agree 100% percent. I still have two Gen 2 mags left that are regelagted strictly to range use but have never failed. I am essentially putting together a comprehensive spare parts kit. However, I know people use them so my question is best asked are Wollf springs good for mags with extensions? I have noticed that when I throw a Taran, Arrenado or just a Glock +2 that the mag spring naturally feels anemic and is it worth the paltry $8 bucks for slight extra powered springs on those particular mags. I am no Delta force high speed operator, just a dude in his late 20's that loves firearms, good kit and training and learning. Thanks guys.

ST911
05-31-14, 20:31
OEM 11-coil springs for full size (G17, G22 etc) mags with (+) floor plates.

26 Inf
05-31-14, 20:35

...and I have a few coworkers that have the same Gen1 Glock 17 mags they were issued in the early 90's that have NEVER been unloaded and they still function fine.

I just deleted my reply calling BS - I realized you were talking about mags that are used and then reloaded, without rest, not mags that have been setting in a safe somewhere. :)

walkin' trails
05-31-14, 20:55
Wolff springs are very good. I used them to correct the weapons light jams on a G23 before Glock addressed that issue. They also last a long time, and are great for +2s.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Voodoo_Man
06-01-14, 06:32
I just deleted my reply calling BS - I realized you were talking about mags that are used and then reloaded, without rest, not mags that have been setting in a safe somewhere. :)

Reading comprehension is the key!

;)

PLCedeno
06-01-14, 07:41
In 10 round magazines either in the G26 or G17 that are used heavily for practice and IDPA I have found the need to replace the them once a year or face failures. Generally at GSSF matches they are replaced for free. Conversely, the springs in my wife's G19 standard 15 round mags have not had to be replaced in 15 years of the same use. Keep in mind that as per GSSF and IDPA rules there only loaded to 10 rounds.

Phillygunguy
06-01-14, 08:26

IN today's political environment, Id say get some replacement parts.

my 2 cents

Voodoo_Man
06-01-14, 08:28
IN today's political environment, Id say get some replacement parts.

my 2 cents

Seen one too many "ready for hillary" bumper stickers lately?

Phillygunguy
06-01-14, 08:43
deleted

Phillygunguy
06-01-14, 08:44
Seen one too many "ready for hillary" bumper stickers lately?

where I live? Yes

Voodoo_Man
06-01-14, 10:00
where I live? Yes

They tried, didn't work, they will keep trying and it won't work.

Don't worry.

mayonaise
06-01-14, 11:57
OEM 11-coil springs for full size (G17, G22 etc) mags with (+) floor plates.

G17 OEM springs are 10 coils. G22 ship with 11 coils.

ST911
06-01-14, 13:22
G17 OEM springs are 10 coils. G22 ship with 11 coils.

Yup, I know.

If he's swapping out springs, esp on mags with (+) floor plates, the 11-coil are the way to go.

Chameleox
06-01-14, 13:30
I wouldn't replace the springs just for the sake of replacing them.
If you're using an extended floor plate, or if you're using a G22 and a light, I'd say go for it.

Bpc9876
06-01-14, 13:46
I am not considering replacing springs because I am bored and want to play with mag springs lol. This is specifically in regards to + whatever base plates. As I stated earlier with + extensions that come factory, such as the 33 round G18 mags I have NO problems with Glock OEM. I simply find the tension to be weak in standard mags I add an extension to. What I thought was a rather simple question has quite a few different routes to venture down. So in that vain, for + mags should I pick up some Wollf 10% springs OR as SkinTop911 suggests pick up some 11 coil springs? Lastly, these as stated, are all 9mm mags I am referring to. Plenty of mags, I am not worried about throwing bad mags in the trash when they are done as they are consumables, but I am looking for the best performance/reliability when using + base pads of any sort including the Glock plus 2's. Again, thank you for all the helpful input.

And for what it's worth I am always considering the political climate, hell we all are on this forum because our gear seems to be enemy number one for any anti gunner