PDA

View Full Version : NRA Proclaims Open Carry Protests "Downright Weird."

hatt
06-02-14, 10:36
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2014/06/nra_calls_texas_open_carry_protests_downright_weird_and_just_not_neighborly.php

MountainRaven
06-02-14, 12:36
OCT responds by calling the NRA irrelevant and gun control extremists while lying about the NRA's role in legalizing the open carry of handguns in Texas.

Color me six different shades of shocked by that.

SteyrAUG
06-02-14, 14:01
If only Hillary/Benghazi were subject to this kind of ongoing scrutiny and investigation.

hatt
06-02-14, 15:02
OCT responds by calling the NRA irrelevant and gun control extremists while lying about the NRA's role in legalizing the open carry of handguns in Texas.

Color me six different shades of shocked by that.Seeing how the NRA worked in FL a few years ago I'd have to say OCT has them figured out pretty well. It was "activist's" fault in FL too. Writing mean letters to the politicians. Didn't stop them from asking for OC donations the next year. So everyone is clear on the NRA and OC. Writing letters = bad. Actually OC = bad. Sending the NRA money = good.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-02-14, 16:13
Frickin learn something from the Progressives. Did they get the gay agenda pushed thru using spokesman like that Mutt and Jeff carrying a mini-14 and and AR into that restaurant recently? Those OCers are the transgendered and gay parade in a thong equivalent in the gun community. You don't lead with them, they are what follows. You think suburban moms would be Ok with gay marriage if the Village Indian were flashing his junk at the local Taco Bell like those two mental midgets were with their guns.

You lead with non threatening "Will and Grace" and "Ellen" depictions of gun users. Strong women who can defend themselves from abuse hushands. Veterans who defend their families. Minorities protecting themselves when big city mayors won't.

I get OCers, you're here, your 'queer' and we should all accept you. How about we get the 'civil unions' of national CCW first and try to get sporting rifles off the endangered species list before you creepy guy from "Silence of the Lambs" everyone.

OCers are the 'T' or even the "I" in gun version of LGBTQIA (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex, and asexual
LGBTQIA). Who hates Lesbians or bisexual women? Those gay guys on 'Modern Family' are funny. We should lead with the Hunters and Home defenders and bring along the OCers about ten years after the transgendered get in the military.

hatt
06-02-14, 16:22
National CCW? You're spouting that nonsense while making fun of people? "Hey, you know how we can make this work even better, let's get the Feds involved!" I can see why the NRA pushing such BS. National campaigns bring in more $$ than statewide campaigns.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-02-14, 18:20
National CCW? You're spouting that nonsense while making fun of people? "Hey, you know how we can make this work even better, let's get the Feds involved!" I can see why the NRA pushing such BS. National campaigns bring in more $$ than statewide campaigns.

OK sorry. Nationwide CCW, that make you happy? I agree federalizing stuff doesn't work, another lesson from the alphabet parade of crap I don't want to explain to my kids crowd has done very well with.

Complaining about National CCW is what you take away from my post?

I'm not trying to defend the NRA, they seem to be incapable of finding spokesmen that don't look someone you want to keep your kinds away from.

HKGuns
06-02-14, 18:26
Frickin learn something from the Progressives. Did they get the gay agenda pushed thru using spokesman like that Mutt and Jeff carrying a mini-14 and and AR into that restaurant recently? Those OCers are the transgendered and gay parade in a thong equivalent in the gun community. You don't lead with them, they are what follows. You think suburban moms would be Ok with gay marriage if the Village Indian were flashing his junk at the local Taco Bell like those two mental midgets were with their guns.

You lead with non threatening "Will and Grace" and "Ellen" depictions of gun users. Strong women who can defend themselves from abuse hushands. Veterans who defend their families. Minorities protecting themselves when big city mayors won't.

I get OCers, you're here, your 'queer' and we should all accept you. How about we get the 'civil unions' of national CCW first and try to get sporting rifles off the endangered species list before you creepy guy from "Silence of the Lambs" everyone.

OCers are the 'T' or even the "I" in gun version of LGBTQIA (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex, and asexual
LGBTQIA). Who hates Lesbians or bisexual women? Those gay guys on 'Modern Family' are funny. We should lead with the Hunters and Home defenders and bring along the OCers about ten years after the transgendered get in the military.

I needed the laugh this provided today. Thanks very much, very good stuff in there.

hatt
06-02-14, 20:23
OK sorry. Nationwide CCW, that make you happy? I agree federalizing stuff doesn't work, another lesson from the alphabet parade of crap I don't want to explain to my kids crowd has done very well with.

Complaining about National CCW is what you take away from my post?

I'm not trying to defend the NRA, they seem to be incapable of finding spokesmen that don't look someone you want to keep your kinds away from.
That was the only thing I could make any sense of. Progressives have never stood by sitting on their hands. In your face all day every day. And they're winning. We can't even stick together for one issue. Run around scared hoping someone will like us if we act like little bitches.

SHIVAN
06-02-14, 21:51
I've open carried before, when concealed was not allowed in certain places in Virginia. This recent crop of open carry publicity stunts is weird. I could not care less what anyone might believe about it, that's my take. It IS weird.

Iraqgunz
06-02-14, 22:39
The idiots open carrying their Crapco SKS/AK's and AR's are doing more harm than good. Open carry has a place and time. Chipotle, Subway, Sonics, etc..., isn't it. But, I will concede had they only done it with handguns discreetly, it would have been a non-issue.

We as gun owners need to recognize some people hate guns and some people are in the middle. The people in the middle are being pushed away be these clowns. Whether we like it or not, that's how it is. So now we have people who cannot open carry handguns (maybe they were under 21?) because of the actions of these few imbeciles.

Open carry is important in other circumstances like in your vehicle or when out hiking or camping because let's face it, who wants to conceal carry their AR15 while hiking? I don't. I don't need one while eating my scone and venti double quad mocha at Starbucks.

One thing is for sure is that if people continue down this path we will see a backlash and it will hurt all gun owners.

Phillygunguy
06-03-14, 01:44
This is what the left wants they already have the establishment rinos vs the tea party, now oc vs NRA we need to stop these divisions or we all loose

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

hatt
06-03-14, 07:00
This is what the left wants they already have the establishment rinos vs the tea party, now oc vs NRA we need to stop these divisions or we all loose

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
No, it's what the establishment wants. Stop blaming everything on someone else. Republicans didn't have to run left wing candidates. They wanted to run them. Had the NRA wanted OC to pass, it would have already passed in the solid red states.

Straight Shooter
06-03-14, 07:34
I equate the morons/idiots who simply MUST strap on an AR/SKS/AK ect.. to go out amongst the general population, to the (LGBT community) who simply MUST have parades and march whilst naked and doing perverted/sickening things. Like them, most people wouldn't give a damn if wasn't just flat SHOVED in their faces and FORCED to see it while out & about,especially with children. These nuts have HURT our cause more than anything. MORE than Bloomberg/Demorats/ Brady/ect., ect.
Theres no good reason for it, and the shit needs to stop. As a gun man for over 40 years now...I say GOOD on all the places that have banned them. Just wait until one of the ****sticks has a ND. Its GONNA happen. THEN ALL HELL'S GONNA BREAK LOOSE.

Crow Hunter
06-03-14, 07:38

Exxxxcelent.

:D

Funny but also so very true.

Don't reinforce stereotypes.

Hearts and minds folks, hearts and minds.

J-Dub
06-03-14, 07:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc8boikAFOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCKKVmQ7fUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M95gNf_X7Ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUOopHPlMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrEX-aqTEtU

If you think any of that ^^^^^^ garbage linked is HELPING any pro firearms cause, you're either incredibly naïve or a few fries short of a happy meal. Its beyond pointless, and half a step away from down right MORONIC.

That is all.

P.S. if you want more entertainment via stupidity, watch some more of the OCT channel...

Straight Shooter
06-03-14, 08:08
HO-LEE SHIT J-Dub....you & I AGREE on something! Cool. I agree with you 100%.

OH58D
06-03-14, 08:13
I don't have a problem with the NRA statement. We're in an age when you have every far leftist group getting in your face about their agenda. Case in point the Gay/Lesbian groups. Instead of shutting up after coming out and living their lives, they're in your face about their lifestyle. Accept it, embrace it or else....

These OC groups, and some gun are using the same tactics. Getting in everyone's face about our rights. I live in an open carry State, but I'm not pushing an agenda that gets in the faces of other citizens. I'm not in a war zone, so I don't need to take my 6920 into McDonalds.

Alex V
06-03-14, 08:16
The idiots open carrying their Crapco SKS/AK's and AR's are doing more harm than good. Open carry has a place and time. Chipotle, Subway, Sonics, etc..., isn't it. But, I will concede had they only done it with handguns discreetly, it would have been a non-issue.

We as gun owners need to recognize some people hate guns and some people are in the middle. The people in the middle are being pushed away be these clowns. Whether we like it or not, that's how it is. So now we have people who cannot open carry handguns (maybe they were under 21?) because of the actions of these few imbeciles.

Open carry is important in other circumstances like in your vehicle or when out hiking or camping because let's face it, who wants to conceal carry their AR15 while hiking? I don't. I don't need one while eating my scone and venti double quad mocha at Starbucks.

One thing is for sure is that if people continue down this path we will see a backlash and it will hurt all gun owners.

Could not have said it better myself.

I honestly don't understand what these guys are trying to accomplish. They are only causing more people to turn against us.

SHIVAN
06-03-14, 08:39
I think the reason it had to be long guns in TX is due to some oddball bastardization of their law's wording. That being said, carrying a Tapco-banged SKS at the low ready in to Chipotle or Starbucks may get some unwanted attention. As I said before, I might get a little jumpy myself seeing it. Immediate first thought would be, "Is this guy getting ready to stick up the cashier -- or go active shooter?"

Whereas, carrying it this way gives off the vibe of, "Just doing what I need to do..."
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/buying_ice_cream1.jpg

montrala
06-03-14, 08:48
OC high visibility "flash mobs" are also used in Europe as effective tool to paint gun owners (all, also those in EU) as not responsible and dangerous maniacs who are interested in running on the streets and waving deadly weapons on unsuspecting bystanders. Works quite good to scare people in tandem with episodes from "Sons of Guns". I know that you do not give a damn about what happens in Europe, but actually "progressives" in US are watching closely most progressive ideas implemented in EU, so this can came back to US as fuel to anti-gunners.

austinN4
06-03-14, 08:52
I think the reason it had to be long guns in TX is due to some oddball bastardization of their law's wording.
OC of handguns, other than black powder, is illegal in Texas. OC of longguns is legal but can still draw a minor charge such as disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct or similar, depending on the circumstances and the LE involved.

skydivr
06-03-14, 09:01

Target, Cease Fire....butcha know, the sickening BS tactic above apparantly in some twisted way, worked....

SHIVAN
06-03-14, 09:13
OC of handguns, other than black powder, is illegal in Texas. OC of longguns is legal but can still draw a minor charge such as disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct or similar, depending on the circumstances and the LE involved.

...and THAT is pretty oddball for the Republic of Texas, all things considered. How, and why, did that occur?

Apricotshot
06-03-14, 09:32
I don't want some big gut Arfcomer sweeping me with his AR in the MacDonalds. I don't see what the facination of the "look at me" crowd that surrounds the OC movement. It's like its 1850 and walking around with a sword like some asshole like its a fashion accessory.

Renegade
06-03-14, 09:36
...and THAT is pretty oddball for the Republic of Texas, all things considered. How, and why, did that occur?

Reconstruction Era Laws.

glocktogo
06-03-14, 10:56

Priceless... :)

Caeser25
06-03-14, 11:46
****ing backstabbers. Why is it everytime they open their mouth I ba e to send off a nasty email to them telling them why they suck and they'll never see another dime of my money.

SHIVAN
06-03-14, 11:48
****ing backstabbers. Why is it everytime they open their mouth I ba e to send off a nasty email to them telling them why they suck and they'll never see another dime of my money.

Which part of their written statement was disagreeable?

Caeser25
06-03-14, 12:05
Which part of their written statement was disagreeable?

They're position should be along the lines of, "those citizens were perfectly with their legal right to open carry firearms as they did. There could have been a more productive way of doing so by standing on a corner and handing out flyers about the legality of open carry." Etc

J-Dub
06-03-14, 12:33
I honestly cant help but think that some of these open carry folks are being paid by the Feds. Like the "little chicken hawk" Grisham, and the President of OCT. I don't think its a stretch to think these people are being paid to look like morons and bring as much negative press towards firearms as possible.

Peshawar
06-03-14, 12:46
One way to have it both ways is for the NRA to only condone women doing the open carry. Statistically we see, and what anti-gunners fear, is a psychotic male mass murderer. If it were only presentable, firearm-competent, and socially upstanding females doing the open carry of long guns it would be a different situation. But having a sweaty Bubba with his Tapco'd Saiga muzzle sweeping kids at KFC will only continue to hurt us. Those goobers really are trying to inflict mental distress on those in society who they feel are their enemies. They are not even trying to change people's minds about firearms, despite the claims. They're punishing those who disagree with them. And that, I humbly submit, makes them just as bad as the folks who would take away our firearms rights. Just my opinion.

SHIVAN
06-03-14, 12:58
They're position should be along the lines of, "those citizens were perfectly with their legal right to open carry firearms as they did. There could have been a more productive way of doing so by standing on a corner and handing out flyers about the legality of open carry." Etc

Yeah, when I read it, that's pretty much my take-away from what they said.

SHIVAN
06-03-14, 13:00
NRA's Statement:

Now we love AR-15s and AKs as much as anybody, and we know that these sorts of semiautomatic carbines are among the most popular, fastest selling firearms in America today. Texas, independent-minded and liberty-loving place that it is, doesn't ban the carrying of loaded long guns in public, nor does it require a permit for this activity. Yet some so-called firearm advocates seem determined to change this.

Recently, demonstrators have been showing up in various public places, including coffee shops and fast food restaurants, openly toting a variety of tactical long guns. Unlicensed open carry of handguns is legal in about half the U.S. states, and it is relatively common and uncontroversial in some places.

Yet while unlicensed open carry of long guns is also typically legal in most places, it is a rare sight to see someone sidle up next to you in line for lunch with a 7.62 rifle slung across his chest, much less a whole gaggle of folks descending on the same public venue with similar arms.

Let's not mince words, not only is it rare, it's downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself. To those who are not acquainted with the dubious practice of using public displays of firearms as a means to draw attention to oneself or one's cause, it can be downright scary. It makes folks who might normally be perfectly open-minded about firearms feel uncomfortable and question the motives of pro-gun advocates.

As a result of these hijinx, two popular fast food outlets have recently requested patrons to keep guns off the premises (more information can be found here and here). In other words, the freedom and goodwill these businesses had previously extended to gun owners has been curtailed because of the actions of an attention-hungry few who thought only of themselves and not of those who might be affected by their behavior. To state the obvious, that's counterproductive for the gun owning community.

More to the point, it's just not neighborly, which is out of character for the big-hearted residents of Texas. Using guns merely to draw attention to yourself in public not only defies common sense, it shows a lack of consideration and manners. That's not the Texas way. And that's certainly not the NRA way.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-03-14, 13:29
I think the reason it had to be long guns in TX is due to some oddball bastardization of their law's wording. That being said, carrying a Tapco-banged SKS at the low ready in to Chipotle or Starbucks may get some unwanted attention. As I said before, I might get a little jumpy myself seeing it. Immediate first thought would be, "Is this guy getting ready to stick up the cashier -- or go active shooter?"

Whereas, carrying it this way gives off the vibe of, "Just doing what I need to do..."
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/buying_ice_cream1.jpg

A forend on a rearend.

A handguard to guard from hands.

I just found my daughters outfit for prom....

SteyrAUG
06-03-14, 13:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc8boikAFOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCKKVmQ7fUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M95gNf_X7Ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUOopHPlMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrEX-aqTEtU

If you think any of that ^^^^^^ garbage linked is HELPING any pro firearms cause, you're either incredibly naïve or a few fries short of a happy meal. Its beyond pointless, and half a step away from down right MORONIC.

That is all.

P.S. if you want more entertainment via stupidity, watch some more of the OCT channel...

I didn't make it past the first video. They need some serious command guidance.

jondoe297
06-03-14, 14:33
Those OCers are the transgendered and gay parade in a thong equivalent in the gun community.
This.

Iraqgunz
06-03-14, 16:07
The people doing harm here, are those goons disguising their actions as Saviors of the Republic. I have said this a hundred times in the past and I will say it again. If they want to make a change, then they should begin by educating their lawmakers. Have meetings and do something productive. Point out the dozens of states that allow open carry and explain why the current wording of Texas law is absurd-

From the Texas Penal Code

PC §42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT.
(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

This is so open to interpretation that if a person from say California saw one of these guys at McRats and called 911 claiming they were scared, an officer could conceivably arrest that person (because the caller was in fact "alarmed"). For that matter an anti-gunner could say the same thing in an attempt to discredit the gun owner and have him arrested.

The analogy to the gay rights/marriage thing is spot on. There is a significant amount of people in the U.S who could care less about it. But, when they get shoved into their face (just like forced religion) they will push it away. All we need is some Crapco Army to go out and have a negligent discharge with someone not involed getting wounded or killed and we will be in deep Kimchi.

SteyrAUG
06-03-14, 16:09
The reality is you have to create awareness that OPEN CARRY exists in your state first.

This means "non sketchy" looking people (not that sketchy looking people don't have rights) creating awareness programs in places where the average person won't feel "forced out." How would you like it if Disneyland did an unannounced Gay Pride Day when you happen to be there?

If you can find a business WILLING to host then wonderful, otherwise you are going to need to start with more neutral venues. Once the public becomes aware that they live in an OPEN CARRY state things will change. And even then it shouldn't be a stunt or done in a way to be controversial.

Renegade
06-03-14, 16:22
The people doing harm here, are those goons disguising their actions as Saviors of the Republic. I have said this a hundred times in the past and I will say it again. If they want to make a change, then they should begin by educating their lawmakers. Have meetings and do something productive. Point out the dozens of states that allow open carry and explain why the current wording of Texas law is absurd-

From the Texas Penal Code

PC §42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT.
(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

This is so open to interpretation that if a person from say California saw one of these guys at McRats and called 911 claiming they were scared, an officer could conceivably arrest that person (because the caller was in fact "alarmed"). For that matter an anti-gunner could say the same thing in an attempt to discredit the gun owner and have him arrested

No if that was the case there would be arrests daily. You have to show the person carrying INTENDED to alarm, not that someone, somewhere was alarmed. This is a hard standard to prove in basic OC, especially of officer did not witness it, and thus there are very few arrests.

Iraqgunz
06-03-14, 16:25
That's your interpretation of the law. The fact that it is so poorly written and the fact that people have been in fact arrested in Texas (at least 4 cases I can think of) shows that there is a problem. Anytime a law is written in such a way, it allows for abuse.

No if that was the case there would be arrests daily. You have to show the person carrying INTENDED to alarm, not that someone, somewhere was alarmed. This is a hard standard to prove in basic OC, especially of officer did not witness it, and thus there are very few arrests.

Renegade
06-03-14, 16:30
That's your interpretation of the law. The fact that it is so poorly written and the fact that people have been in fact arrested in Texas (at least 4 cases I can think of) shows that there is a problem. Anytime a law is written in such a way, it allows for abuse.

No it is decades of experience in how the law is applied and prosecuted. It is also not poorly written, it is perfectly written as the burden of arrest is to prove a thought crime on behalf of the actor. Nearly impossible to do.

Sure some folks get arrested, because they really intend to alarm. The OCT folks are dangerously close to this, in some cases I have seen I would say the did intent.

But there are almost zero cases of law abiding OC getting arrested just because some nanny got skeered. We have 150 years of case law, so even if an illegal arrest is made it is tossed quickly.

Moose-Knuckle
06-03-14, 16:40
I honestly cant help but think that some of these open carry folks are being paid by the Feds. Like the "little chicken hawk" Grisham, and the President of OCT. I don't think its a stretch to think these people are being paid to look like morons and bring as much negative press towards firearms as possible.

I wouldn't put it past some "community organizer" funded by Bloomberg to create and recruit for such groups. The barf.com crowd would flood to like flies on shit. These guys running around may think they have good intentions, but we all know the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Iraqgunz
06-03-14, 16:49
The guy in San Antonio was walking around didn't do anything when he was tased and arrested. Even that Tom Grisham idiot up near Killeen was just out walking with his son as far as I remember and yet he was taken down and arrested.

No it is decades of experience in how the law is applied and prosecuted. It is also not poorly written, it is perfectly written as the burden of arrest is to prove a thought crime on behalf of the actor. Nearly impossible to do.

Sure some folks get arrested, because they really intend to alarm. The OCT folks are dangerously close to this, in some cases I have seen I would say the did intent.

But there are almost zero cases of law abiding OC getting arrested just because some nanny got skeered. We have 150 years of case law, so even if an illegal arrest is made it is tossed quickly.

Renegade
06-03-14, 16:52
The guy in San Antonio was walking around didn't do anything when he was tased and arrested. Even that Tom Grisham idiot up near Killeen was just out walking with his son as far as I remember and yet he was taken down and arrested.

Don't know about the San Antonio guy. Grisham was not arrested for DO, he was arrested for interfering with an officer pursuing an investigation.

Iraqgunz
06-03-14, 17:35
Why was Grisham stopped in the first place= Open Carry of his rifle.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/01/we-are-going-to-take-that-gun-watch-dramatic-open-carry-arrest-with-an-ending-you-probably-wont-see-coming/

Don't know about the San Antonio guy. Grisham was not arrested for DO, he was arrested for interfering with an officer pursuing an investigation.

Renegade
06-03-14, 17:45
Why was Grisham stopped in the first place= Open Carry of his rifle.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/01/we-are-going-to-take-that-gun-watch-dramatic-open-carry-arrest-with-an-ending-you-probably-wont-see-coming/

Yes in every state I know of if someone calls police reporting "man with a gun" the police will send someone to check it out. No big deal. Instead of using common sense, Grisham decided to play stupid games so he won stupid prizes. The hundreds of others who OC that day did not make the news, as they did not behave stupidly in front of cops.

HES
06-03-14, 20:46
This is what the left wants they already have the establishment rinos vs the tea party, now oc vs NRA we need to stop these divisions or we all looseNo, it's what the establishment wants. Stop blaming everything on someone else. Republicans didn't have to run left wing candidates. They wanted to run them. Had the NRA wanted OC to pass, it would have already passed in the solid red states.
Exactly. I saw the NRA actively sabotage open carry in the 2013 Florida legislative session.

Not saying the goobers in Texas were helping anything. They could have done a lot better by just using empty holsters or carrying black powder pistols. Just keep in mind that the NRA is more interested in maintaining the status quo than in advancing gun rights. They realize that if they did and were successful then they run the risk of not being needed.

HKGuns
06-03-14, 21:05
Not saying the goobers in Texas were helping anything. They could have done a lot better by just using empty holsters or carrying black powder pistols. Just keep in mind that the NRA is more interested in maintaining the status quo than in advancing gun rights. They realize that if they did and were successful then they run the risk of not being needed.

Illinois and Wisconsin gun owners would disagree, how about sticking to the facts and leave the hyperbole at the bar.

SteyrAUG
06-03-14, 23:00
Exactly. I saw the NRA actively sabotage open carry in the 2013 Florida legislative session.

They weren't exactly supporting the Heller case either. But as much as they talk about it now you'd think THEY fought they case.

HES
06-03-14, 23:02
They weren't exactly supporting the Heller case either. But as much as they talk about it now you'd think THEY fought they case.

Exactly. Fair weathered I think is the right term.

austinN4
06-04-14, 03:35
NRA Apologizes For Calling Open Carry Protests 'Weird' And 'Scary'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/03/nra-open-carry-protest_n_5441189.html

Iraqgunz
06-04-14, 03:40
I can tell you in AZ that is almost not the case. Unless someone reports them doing something unlawful. The fact is that the cops were called, and he may have been a jack ass, but if you watch the dashcam footage you will clearly see that the officer had an attitude as soon as he pulled in behind him while they were walking.

In addition as you are probably aware, the courts have ruled carrying a firearm where it is legal are not sufficient grounds to establish cause to detain an arrest someone (see; United States Supreme Court in Florida v. J.L. (2000) ,Washington Appeals Court in State v. Casad, U.S. v. Black (4th Circuit Court of Appeals), and a case in NM where U.S district court judge Bruce Black awarded summary judgment to a man who was physically seized, searched, disarmed even though New Mexico is an open carry state and he was not in violation of any law.

Also, in the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals this issue was addressed in United States v. King, 990 F.2d 1552 (10th Cir. 1993) the Tenth Circuit found that an investigatory detention initiated by an officer after he discovered that the defendant lawfully possessed a loaded firearm lacked sufficient basis because the firearm alone did not create a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.

Yes in every state I know of if someone calls police reporting "man with a gun" the police will send someone to check it out. No big deal. Instead of using common sense, Grisham decided to play stupid games so he won stupid prizes. The hundreds of others who OC that day did not make the news, as they did not behave stupidly in front of cops.

RWH24
06-04-14, 17:33
http://news.yahoo.com/nra-rolls-back-open-carry-criticism-051545622.html

NRA rolls back 'open carry' criticism
The National Rifle Association has rolled back an earlier statement criticizing "open carry" rallies in Texas

hatt
06-04-14, 17:52
I'm calling BS on the NRA rollback. They sent Marion Hammer out to bash OC advocates in FL. OCT must be more organized and responded with a bigger backlash but the NRA meant what they said.

Renegade
06-04-14, 17:56
I'm calling BS on the NRA rollback. They sent Marion Hammer out to bash OC advocates in FL. OCT must be more organized and responded with a bigger backlash but the NRA meant what they said.

All they rolled back on was the use of the word "weird" and "scary". They also clarified they are 100% for OC.

hatt
06-04-14, 18:16
All they rolled back on was the use of the word "weird" and "scary". They also clarified they are 100% for OC.Obama says he's 100% pro 2nd too. Lets judge them by their actions.

Renegade
06-04-14, 18:42
Obama says he's 100% pro 2nd too. Lets judge them by their actions.

Well NRA/TSRA testified in Austin a few months ago for OC so that is a good start.