PDA

View Full Version : KAC MAMS on 12.5 SBR muzzle signature

Jwknutson17
06-02-14, 10:39
I was out 2 nights ago with my new MAMS brake and shot a quick video of low light fire showing the muzzle signature. I was impressed with the lack of muzzle signature on a SBR. I'm also including a few pictures. One is the MAMS on the 12.5 upper, and other picture is of a friends 16 inch rifle with battle comp muzzle device. Both are great muzzle devices and the photos are for reference only and are on completely different rifles. So that said, I did not have a chance to test the battle comp on my 12.5 rifle. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/hjIK-TwXEJM

kaltesherz
06-02-14, 11:57
Lack of a muzzle flash? We must have different definitions- that looked like a "shoot at me" strobe light. Yes, I've seen worse but I don't find that very impressive...

Jwknutson17
06-02-14, 12:19
Lack of a muzzle flash? We must have different definitions- that looked like a "shoot at me" strobe light. Yes, I've seen worse but I don't find that very impressive...

Out of a SBR, I dont know of, or have not used one personally with less flash reduction out of a muzzle brake device. I have surefire's, and all of AAC's 51T devices and this has the least out of the them. Sure, a designated flash hider might have less, but for a brake/comp out of a SBR its pretty good in my book. Just thought I would show my findings. I still like my surefire brakes the best.. There isn't much video or photos of the MAMS in action so thought I would post one. Here is a pic of a AAC Brakeout. Single baffle with the 3 prongs.

BC98
06-02-14, 12:19

Try shooting a 12.5" gun with a Surefire brake. Comparatively, the MAMS is quite contained.

markm
06-02-14, 14:38
Here is a pic of a AAC Brakeout. Single baffle with the 3 prongs.

MilitaryMoron made the point that the muzzle devices with those large first brake chambers to flash brightest. I get flash worse than your pic in my Rainier mini Comp when I run XM193. It's comical.

Voodoo_Man
06-02-14, 14:48
Nice try at a mag flip... http://youtu.be/OEEEy1dMceI

Kidding, kidding.

Don't expect the MAMS to be low signature as its a platform for a suppressor.

Jwknutson17
06-02-14, 15:53
Nice try at a mag flip... http://youtu.be/OEEEy1dMceI

Kidding, kidding.

Don't expect the MAMS to be low signature as its a platform for a suppressor.

That video is awesome!! Love it. Im waiting for a KAC can to get in stock and that can will be dedicated to that rifle. I'm so used to the giant flash from the surefire and AAC Brakes that I was impressed with the KAC. I do think the surefire preforms the best from my experience being able to stay on target without much movement. No plan to buy another as the price point is a little steep for the MAMS. Did what it says it does and should be a good mount for the new KAC QDC CQB can. If I can ever find one. Once the can gets on the rifle, it stays on there, and I tend to not shoot them without the can after that. So much for the muzzle devices, besides an extra sacrificial baffle at that point.

kaltesherz
06-02-14, 16:27
Out of a SBR, I dont know of, or have not used one personally with less flash reduction out of a muzzle brake device. I have surefire's, and all of AAC's 51T devices and this has the least out of the them. Sure, a designated flash hider might have less, but for a brake/comp out of a SBR its pretty good in my book. Just thought I would show my findings. I still like my surefire brakes the best.. There isn't much video or photos of the MAMS in action so thought I would post one. Here is a pic of a AAC Brakeout. Single baffle with the 3 prongs.

I get that it may have a lower signature than other breaks, but you mentioned a "lack of a signature"- still pretty damn obvious. This and deafening everyone around me (and myself indoors) is why I hate comps- fine for competition but a terrible idea for serious use unless you're using it 100% suppressed as a sacrificial baffle.

militarymoron
06-02-14, 21:48
MilitaryMoron made the point that the muzzle devices with those large first brake chambers to flash brightest. I get flash worse than your pic in my Rainier mini Comp when I run XM193. It's comical.

AAC brakeout on SCAR 16 - definitely unsuitable for night shoots. and this isn't just a one-time frame capture; it was consistently flashing this much. needless to say, it was quickly replaced by a flash hider for night shoots with NODs and IR lasers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/aac1.jpg

TehLlama
06-02-14, 22:06
I get that it may have a lower signature than other breaks, but you mentioned a "lack of a signature"- still pretty damn obvious. This and deafening everyone around me (and myself indoors) is why I hate comps- fine for competition but a terrible idea for serious use unless you're using it 100% suppressed as a sacrificial baffle.

That's solid performance for what ideally amounts to a suppressor mount and sacrificial baffle combo, and you nailed it with the assessment that if you had to do without the can it's not terrible, but there still is no SBR + Brake combination that doesn't mirror the subtlety of a fireworks display.

Toddler
06-04-14, 12:11
The PWS FSC556 does an ok job as a brake/flash hider. My AFAB does a little better than a BC.

Voodoo_Man
06-04-14, 12:15
If flash hiding and indoor performance is what you are looking for go with the PWS CQB.

http://i.imgur.com/nPO1bD4.jpg

I've had great experience with it.

tom12.7
06-05-14, 05:57
The flash on the MAMS isn't too bad compared to similar acting devices. Sure it's more flash than a dedicated newer flash hider, but it offers potential benefits in some cases over them.