PDA

View Full Version : Need help with choosing the right scope base

usmcchet9296
06-04-08, 12:46
I will be picking up a Remington 700 sbs in 223 and need to get a scope base. now Remingtons site is real vague and Im kinda new to this whole bolt action rifle thing. I dont know what kinda action (long/short) the SBS is. If anyone know what kind of scope base/brand/website to get it from I would appricate it.

P.S. if anyone knows the twist rate the SBS is I would appriciate that too.

Dave L.
06-04-08, 17:26
Your Remington 700 is a Short Action. My advice is get the Badger 20moa base(tilted down in front to get the most of your scope at longer ranges). Even if you don't plan on shooting long distances I would still go with the 20moa base- because you may want to in the future.
I would also use the Badger rings for what ever scope you decide on.

Site for the info:
http://www.badgerordnance.com/productgroup.php?id=rails

One of many places to buy- I would shop around:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1391&title=MAXIMIZED%20SCOPE%20RAIL
You don't want the "zero cant"- 20moa is the standard.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Dave L.
06-04-08, 17:29
I will be picking up a Remington 700 sbs in 223 and need to get a scope base. now Remingtons site is real vague and Im kinda new to this whole bolt action rifle thing. I dont know what kinda action (long/short) the SBS is. If anyone know what kind of scope base/brand/website to get it from I would appricate it.

P.S. if anyone knows the twist rate the SBS is I would appriciate that too.

I think you mean SPS.

theJanitor
06-04-08, 21:07
how much MOA adjustment does your scope have?

i still would go with the 20MOA base like it was mentioned before. just for the fact that you can rechamber a SA to a cartridge that might need the MOA gain in the future.

usmcchet9296
06-05-08, 00:36
I have a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20 Matte, Fine Duplex currently but plan to sell it for one of the following:
Falcon Optics Menace 4.5-18x56mm Tactical Rifle Scope

Super Sniper 10x42 30mm Rifle Scope

Leupold 3-9x40 Mark 2 Riflescope

Im leaning towards the Falcon as it has everything I want.
Mildot
tactical adjustments
variable power

Seagrave7
07-09-08, 17:34
I have a 700 SPS .223 went with a Leupold base. Works great.

PRGGodfather
07-09-08, 22:01
What are you planning to do with this .223 bolt gun? Targets? Varmints? Chasing the small group?

IMHO, the Badger 20 MOA base is definitely top of the line and has a price tag to match. You will never be disappointed when you buy the best. If you're really planning on shooting some long distances (beyond 600 yards), then the angle of the base will let you maximize your scope.

Still, the Leupold bases work well, too -- and they are considerably less expensive. For most hobbyists, this base will be more than adequate. For part-time or casual shooters, the Leupold base will be more than most of us will ever need, and even less will use effectively.

The 20 MOA base is best for those with the time and inclination to pursue real long distance group size hunting. If long distance is the goal, then you may wish to increase your cartridge size to .280 AI (or .308 Win and .30-06 if you're inclined towards military calibers). The 280 AI is very "slippery" and will buck wind better than even the heaviest .223 bullets.

With the cost and scarcity of ammunition today, one is better served investing in trigger time, rather than costly accessories. Buy ammo, as it isn't going to be any cheaper tomorrow.

Good luck, and be safe!

03humpalot
07-10-08, 12:39
Devil,
good call on on getting rid of the Var X III, its a good optic but doesnt have enough elevation adjustment to shoot past 650 yards or so with a "No slope" base (at least mine didnt in .308).

Super Snipers get mixed reviews, a buddy has one that works fine but i have heard of others that do not..FWIW.

Anyone know how much elevation adjustment in Minutes is available in the Mark 2's? They are fairly new to market and i at least have not heard much about them as of yet.

Like mentioned by everyone else dont skimp on base rings or the optic, Badger Ordnance makes good gear and is well worth the money. Its all i run after trying them out 5 years and a few rifles ago. Get the base with the 20MOA slope built in, should you decide to sell the rifle down the road you can always swap those items out onto another Remington short action or sell them for close to what you paid for them.

If it was my coin i would personaly save my coin until i could afford a Mark 4. If you do go with a Leupold i HIGHLY suggest getting an optic with the TMR reticle.

It is a huge improvement over both the USMC and US Army style mil-dots.

Best of luck and let us know how she shoots once you get her thrown together.

TurretGunner
07-10-08, 20:52
If you want a first rate base and not break the bank, I would suggest Seekins. His products are EVERY bit as good as badger and are not heavy and overpriced.

PRGGodfather
07-11-08, 15:25
Glen Seekins is GTG.

FWIW, I usually encourage people to get trigger time before investing in the gear (even if I haven't always done the same). Once the love affair is established, then think about upgrades.

Build the foundation first, IMHO.

usmcchet9296
07-11-08, 18:44
I got a IOR 20MOA base and I have a Falcon Menace 56mm
Im happy with the setup but the stock Houge Stock is gonna be dumped for a B&C stock
This is my first bolt action and I wanted to stick with 223 so I can use the same ammo in my AR
eventially Ill get a .308 but this should suit me fine for a few years till I can upgrade to a better model

PRGGodfather
07-11-08, 20:14
Sounds like a plan! You'll make it work. No doubt about that.

Good luck, and shoot straight!
Alan

GONIF
07-23-08, 19:13
You should check out TPS rings and base ,top quality at a bargin price and bed the picitiny rail to your action so you don't tweek a perfectly good base on an untrued factory action .the 20MOA is the way to go if your going to reach out past 400or 500 yards.:D

PRGGodfather
07-23-08, 21:28
Nice setup! For others looking for an optic system, here are some things that you may consider.

Be sure to check out Ken Farrell's bases & rings: top quality & great prices. Brownells carries most of the brands that have been suggested.

Remember: the .223 is very limited in its velocity & ballistic coefficients. Beyond 350 yards it is really difficult to hold MOA because of environmental conditions, velocity & BC. Also, you will need at least 20x on the high-end of the magnification.

Points to consider:

How much are you willing to spend?
WHAT & at WHAT DISTANCES will you be shooting?
Is money better spent on QUALITY ammo?
How much shooting will you be doing?
Beware of overkill versus practicality!

I also shoot High Power competition with an AR Spacegun in .223, and 600 yards is about the maximum effective distance for that cartridge - much shorter for prairied dog-sized varmints unless you want to "waste" ammo.

RRShorty

+1 RR Shorty

Farrell makes a good product, and certainly, .223 has its limitations for real long distance shooting -- but it WILL be "close enough for government work," FWIW.

For varmints, I prefer the .22-250 for an all-around rifle. My 700 VS in .22-250 pops prairie dogs like grapes.