PDA

View Full Version : Spike's 11.5 Build

pakieser
06-02-14, 13:23
I recently finished two builds, here is my first project.

Sig SB-15 (Stamp has been pending since 10/2014)
Spike's lower
Giselle SSA-E trigger
Magpul MOE grip, trigger guard, BAD, AFG
MI Keymod handguard
Vltor MUR upper with 11.5" stainless BCM barrel
Troy Claymore muzzle device
Inforce WML and Tango Down front sight
Diamondhead rear sight

Optic is a Primay Arms microdot set up for co-witness. I have an EOTech on order that will be replacing it.

When the stamp comes in, I have a Vltor 6-position tube with an MFT stock.

Here's a pic of the upper assembly, before I changed out the flashider and upper reciever. In this pic it's got the original BCM upper and STD flash hider.

pakieser
06-13-14, 13:20
Stamp arrived and I got my new EOTech. Here is the finished gun:

El Cid
06-13-14, 17:32
Nice looking rifle. Question though. Why are the optics so far forward? It's typically a bad idea to mount an optic on a handguard or to bridge the handguard and upper.

Toecheese
06-14-14, 08:02
Nice looking rifle. Question though. Why are the optics so far forward? It's typically a bad idea to mount an optic on a handguard or to bridge the handguard and upper.

Really nice rig, not a fan of the MFT stock for that application (would go lighter), and agreed with the EOTech running too far forward.

RVTMaverick
06-24-14, 14:19

I agree with you on all accounts,

My guess about the way he has set-up the optics,... Maybe because the way he has the Stock set-up, it is Too Close for comfort, to have it installed or assembled, dare I say correctly...?LOL As long as it works, it Must be Correct eh... ;)

Hey OP, Other then the SHORT Stock, I love you build, is the stock not adjustable? Looks like it is.. What's this>> "I have a Vltor 6-position tube with an MFT stock."

What is this part "Vltor 6-postion tube", is it the stock? Take a look at your first picture, extend the stock >alittle bit< and you can get rid of the kink in your wrist;)

Question, the "stamp" you are talking about is for the SHORT Barrel Yes?

IMHO>>> This is an Awesome PDW you have Built!:cool:

Peace Mav

pakieser
01-14-15, 10:08
Bringing this back from the dead, since everyone asked some valid questions.

Regarding the optic placement, I don't like the glass close to my face. I placed the optic in a spot where it was comfortable for me to be able to rapidly pick up the reticle.

As for the "bridge" mount, this has been discussed a few time on the 'net. The issues are lack of rigidity and alignment of the two rails. However, with a zero magnification optic these minute changes should not be an issue. In my experience I've never had a problem with the rifle holding zero. I think where people run into trouble with this is magnified precision optics and with rails that don't mount solidly. I've seen some folks actually use a optic/mount to lock the receiver and rail together! That's solving a problem with another problem.

Since that pic was taken I've replaced the EOTech with an H1 in a GG&G mount, mounted in a similar location.

TLDR: I mounted the optic where it's comfortable for me, and I have not found that bridging causes any problems with a zero-magnification optic.

About the stock: I really like the longer LOP on the MFT stocks. When shooting, I extend it to the first notch. I've experimented with different lengths of pull and I find that this works very well for me. I've since replaced the Vltor tube with a PWS tube, and the LOP on the first notch is perfect for me.

Bottom line: your rifle is like your underwear. What works for you might not work for someone else. This rifle is perfect for me.

Sasahara
01-14-15, 19:44
Question on that front sight since I have never seen it before.

Doesn't it limit the spill/flood of the light which is one of the nicer features of the Inforce WML? Why not just go with a further set back fixed front sight and move the light a bit on the 12 o'clock rail?
Also, what buffer/spring combo are you using?

MPchinadoll
01-15-15, 17:02
Oh wow, nice. That MI keymod looks super lightweight. Is the AFG pretty comfortable compared to not having one? I have small hands and cant see myself being able the wrap my thumb around the tube.

pakieser
01-25-15, 15:23
Haven't noticed a significant difference between the WML with and without the Tango Down front sight. I have the setup you described (12:00 WML with BUIS mounted behind it) on my 16" rifle and it works just as well. I mainly got the TD sight just because I liked it. It's stupidly expensive but it was something I wanted, kind of the same reason I replaced my BCM upper with the VLTOR one. There is less real estate on the 12" rail so there is some benefit there.

I am running a standard (as far as I know, it's the one that came with the gun) spring with a Spike's ST-T2 buffer. The gun runs great.

@MPchinadoll: I like the MI rail I've got, but wouldn't you know it they have a new lighter weight version they just unveiled at the SHOT Show and I might break down and buy it. I am also on the fence about KeyMod v. MLOK. Either way, I really like the new MI rail.

I like the AFG if you mount it far enough forward. Too far back and I find it uncomfortable to use. I am sure that comfort varies from person to person. I definitely like it more than having nothing at all or using a VFG. If you have small hands you might want to look at the AFG2 vs. the AFG. You might also prefer the Cobra Tactical Foregrip from Strike Industries. I'd suggest trying them all and seeing what works best for you.