PDA

View Full Version : Vihtavuori N140

rcoodyar15
06-02-14, 14:09
anyone use this powder Vihtavuori N140 for their 77gr matchking?

Sierra Manual says that is their most accurate load

Of course like the varget it is probably out of stock everywhere

how about cfe 223. looks good for hornady 68gr bthp and 75gr bthp?

markm
06-02-14, 14:31
Never tried VV powders at all. For 77s I run H322 and 8208 XBR. CFE would probably work good, but I don't use much ball powder.

Varget makes zero sense to me for .223. Can be done... but why? There's always a more user friendly option for any given bullet weight.

skullworks
08-09-14, 06:34
Several of my friends swear by N140 though they tend to shoot 69 gr matchking rather than the 77 gr. I have an unopened 8 lb jugg but I was gonna try Norma 201 first (as it's more affordable here).

opsoff1
08-09-14, 20:23
N140 is an excellent powder - very similar to Rel15 - meters well and is super consistent. Years back Varget was the go to - it was the hot powder for 223 but it varied considerably lot to lot. N140 / N540 is very close to the OEM powder for FGM 69gr.

125 mph
08-10-14, 00:18
I could never get N140 to meter through my dillon. It shot well, but I'd rather use powders that run well though my progressive.

Opsoff...what powder measure were you using that it metered well? I'd use it again if I could get it to run through my 550, but it was very inconsistent for me metering wise.

opsoff1
08-10-14, 09:05
125mph
I run all my powder through tweaked (reprogrammed) RCBS Chargemasters - I get a 223 load metered in about 15-20 seconds.
I will admit, I am not a big fan of the Dillon powder measures - but that's just me. (OCD) :~)

I could never get N140 to meter through my dillon. It shot well, but I'd rather use powders that run well though my progressive.

Opsoff...what powder measure were you using that it metered well? I'd use it again if I could get it to run through my 550, but it was very inconsistent for me metering wise.

skullworks
08-10-14, 13:18
..tweaked (reprogrammed) RCBS Chargemasters...
Not to take the thread off topic but could you expand on what changes you've made?

On topic: a friend of mine who competes quite a bit (USPSA) loads 25.5 gr of N140 behind a 69 gr Sierra MK and gets velocities of around 2850 from that combo. He uses Lake City brass and Winchester SR primers.

opsoff1
08-10-14, 17:14
Skullworks,
If rcodyar15 doesn't mind - here's a brief synopsis. If there is interest, I can start a new thread.
The Chargemasters are fully programmable - in that you can change all of the speeds at which the dispensing unit runs. They go through a progression of high speed, to medium speed, then low speed then trickle. Basically the default settings switch from high speed to medium speed way too early. Same with the shift from medium to slow. I have 2 Chargemasters, and one is set up to run charges that are typically found in 223/556 cartridges; 23-28 grains. The othe one is set up (programed) to throw charges in medium sized cartridges; 308/762 in the 40-46gr range. Using the factory settings, a typical throw would take sometimes upwards of 45 seconds. Now, I can typically get a 223 charge done in about 16 seconds (average) The 308 loads will meter in about 18 seconds. There are a LOT of parameters that can be changed - some of which are a mystery. One big caution is that once they are changed, there isn't a "Return To Default" option so it is best to write down all of the original settings before you change anything. Additionally, the dispensing tube can be a problem - stick powder tends to clump at the end and when the unit "bumps" in trickle mode a big clump will drop and you'll get an over charge. The solution is to take a McDonalds straw and cut off a piece about a 1/2 inch long. On one end, cut little pie shaped wedges out all the way around - 6 or so. The end of the straw will look like a kings crown. Insert the straw straight cut end in first and push it in so the pointed "spikes" are flush with the end. This little mod smooth's out the flow and the little wedge cuts break up any clumps. It has basically eliminated over charges.
There are some other things too - basic set up stuff. Leveling is very important. Use a good filtered / protected power strip. Don't coil the power cord and obviously keep it away from drafts.

Like I wrote earlier - if there is interest, I can start another thread about reprogramming the Chargemaster.

opsoff

Not to take the thread off topic but could you expand on what changes you've made?

On topic: a friend of mine who competes quite a bit (USPSA) loads 25.5 gr of N140 behind a 69 gr Sierra MK and gets velocities of around 2850 from that combo. He uses Lake City brass and Winchester SR primers.

skullworks
08-10-14, 17:23
Thanks for the explanation!

rcoodyar15
08-24-14, 07:04
got 8# coming. We will find out.

Alaskapopo
08-28-14, 00:34
I have loaded the Sierra load of 24.1 graines of n140. And it's a very good Try it Generally shoots at least 3/4 moa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcoodyar15
08-28-14, 06:53
I have loaded the Sierra load of 24.1 graines of n140. And it's a very good Try it Generally shoots at least 3/4 moa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeap

I have 8#. This weekend I am going to try it with 77gr match kings.

start at 24 grs and go up in .2 grain increments to 25gr. see if the gun likes any of these.

I have good loads with varget and CFE223 for 69 mk and 70 berger VLD, 1/2" groups with ES of 20, but no magic so far with the 77gr Mk. Hope this does it.

Its a match barrel with 1:8 twist so I know its there somewhere.

rcoodyar15
09-08-14, 08:49
Yes I find the n140 produces better groups and more consistent velocities than I was getting with varget.

started at 24 gr and went up .2 gr increments 24.8 grains. was the last target. about 2850 fps

Went up to 25.2 which I know is over max and got this

Brass was brand new unfired Lapua. Had to throw away 25% of it because of loose primer pockets.

Dropped down to 24.6 and got this at 2760 av velocity

at least the brass survived

think I will abandon 77 MK and work with the 70 berger