PDA

View Full Version : 338LM Press

trackmagic
06-03-14, 01:29
Will pretty much any single stage press work for 338LM or do you need one with a long ram length? I am getting into reloading and hope to have a 338 soon so I want to make sure my gear works with it.

I'm thinking either an RCBS Rock Chucker or a Redding Big Boss II at the moment.

Leaveammoforme
06-03-14, 03:48
I reload 338 Lapua on a Rock Chucker 4 and couldn't be happier. Leverage and strength is your friend.

Robb Jensen
06-03-14, 06:15
We used to load it on a single stage .50cal press. That way we wouldn't have to remove the die after seating the bullet to get the loaded cartridge out of the press.

markm
06-03-14, 08:53
If you did have to remove the seating die, a LNL conversion would make this a snap.

Sort of off topic... but do you have regular access to 1400 plus yards of land? 338LM is an expensive round to deal with, and not worth it IMO if you're stuck with 1000 yard range or so.

trackmagic
06-03-14, 11:14
The range I shoot at a few times a month (on a private farm owned by my parents) does have access to 1000 yards. I try to use 700 yards of that for my 308 once a month, but I loose confidence in making consistent hits after that.

I know there are other rounds that will allow me to use the 1000 yards, but I do have access to ranges (friend's farms) with MUCH greater ranges. They often will shoot over 1500 yards and I want something I can join in the fun with.

It sounds like the presses I mentioned above would require me to remove the die (which I would rather not do). Sounds like I need a .50 press if I don't want to deal with that hassle?

Mark, I am not familiar with LNL (I assume that is Hornady's Lock and Load). Is that just a way to rapidly remove your die so if you do need to remove it to get the bullet out it is easier? Would I have to use a Hornady die?

If you did have to remove the seating die, a LNL conversion would make this a snap.

Sort of off topic... but do you have regular access to 1400 plus yards of land? 338LM is an expensive round to deal with, and not worth it IMO if you're stuck with 1000 yard range or so.

markm
06-03-14, 11:31
Mark, I am not familiar with LNL (I assume that is Hornady's Lock and Load). Is that just a way to rapidly remove your die so if you do need to remove it to get the bullet out it is easier? Would I have to use a Hornady die?

It's an adapter kit so you don't have to use a Hornady Press or a Hornady die. But you can use the quick lock and load die removal. For 338, you're not going to be rolling hundreds of rounds per session, so I'd be fine doing it that way.

The kit is called the LNL conversion kit. I run it on my Big Boss 2 press.

Leaveammoforme
06-03-14, 12:58
Rock Chucker has plenty of room. You will not be removing any dies to get loaded round out. 338LM is only expensive to buy new, it is very comparable cost wise to reload as any other 'big' magnum.

trackmagic
06-03-14, 13:02
Rock Chucker has plenty of room. You will not be removing any dies to get loaded round out. 338LM is only expensive to buy new, it is very comparable cost wise to reload as any other 'big' magnum.

Thanks for the picture! After looking at the prices of 50 presses i'm glad the standard ones will work:)

markm
06-03-14, 13:06
Thanks for the picture! After looking at the prices of 50 presses i'm glad the standard ones will work:)

Yeah. If you already were loading 50 it'd be one thing.

SteveS
06-25-14, 20:19
One of my friends loads accurate 338 Lapua with a 550 Dillon.

wilson1911
06-28-14, 13:58
Be sure you are ready for this, while the 338 LM is a dandy, it is very expensive. I have a custom 338 which I shoot a few times a month. I now consider the purchase of the gun cheap as compared to everything else I had to buy. I do reload on a dillon 550 very successfully also. I use the machined tool heads from uniquetek, they work like a champ. If you do not have a press already, the rock chucker is hard to beat. It will be the best 300 bucks you ever spent.

Equipment purchased after the gun:

set of redding mic dies
chargemaster
rcbs cleaning station
400 rounds of lapua brass
32 pounds of retumbo
5000 primers federal 215m
shell plate
autoprimer
digital calipers
oal/ogive gauge

Now for the good part

ATACR scope
new NF rings
vectronix terrapin
kestral w/applied ballistics software.
atlas bipod
NF spotting scope
summit stand for it.
shooting bags.

I started from ground zero as you can see. Where I live everyone shoots long range bolt guns. I am one of the only AR guys in the area. The kids with bushmasters do not count. sometimes I just want to cry.....I had no idea when I bought it, that I would end up having this big of an investment.

I will not try to talk you out of the purchase, but what you must consider the most is powder availability. The 338 loves Retumbo, yes there are others that you can use, but retumbo is the cats ass for it. So that's about 75 rounds per pound of powder.

If you are thinking about a custom gun, or would like to speak with me, just pm me and I will give you my phone number. I will share what exp I can with you.