PDA

View Full Version : Need A Conceal Carry Solution...

SteyrAUG
06-03-14, 23:07
Ok, dress code is polo shirt tucked, dress pants (I might be able to get away with 511s) and no jacket, vest or coat of any kind. And absolutely can't be visible, polos print easily.

I'd like to get away with my HK P7 but it won't back pocket carry, they don't seem to make a pocket holster for a front pocket and a tucked holster won't work with a polo without printing.

Ankle holsters really aren't gonna work, I hate them. Additionally there will be some activity required and ankle holsters get beat up pretty good sometimes.

Right now I'm looking at a back pocket Kel Tec P11. I'd like a better option if I can come up with one.

Koshinn
06-03-14, 23:35
I've never heard of anyone else using these holsters before. But I've been using one for my M&P 9c for 3 years and it conceals with a cotton t-shirt tucked in, just tucked in somewhat loosely.

Of course a clip will be visible on your belt though, lol. If you wear a black belt, it won't be too noticeable.

If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll take a picture.

http://www.dcholsters.com/how-to-use/

The one complaint I had was that one time, because the pistol was held so tight against my side, it actually depressed the mag release hard enough to eject the mag. So I modified it by cutting out a hole where the mag release button would sit against the leather normally. Yes it's kind of an ugly mod I did, but there's no way it'd eject now.

Grand58742
06-04-14, 00:29
Kahr PM9. Should be easily pocket concealable and less issues than Kel-Tec.

Unless you wanted to start dropping down in caliber to a .32 ACP with like a Beretta Tomcat.

SteyrAUG
06-04-14, 00:32
I've never heard of anyone else using these holsters before. But I've been using one for my M&P 9c for 3 years and it conceals with a cotton t-shirt tucked in, just tucked in somewhat loosely.

Of course a clip will be visible on your belt though, lol. If you wear a black belt, it won't be too noticeable.

If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll take a picture.

http://www.dcholsters.com/how-to-use/

The one complaint I had was that one time, because the pistol was held so tight against my side, it actually depressed the mag release hard enough to eject the mag. So I modified it by cutting out a hole where the mag release button would sit against the leather normally. Yes it's kind of an ugly mod I did, but there's no way it'd eject now.

Appreciate the feedback.

However a tucked holster isn't gonna work for me. I'm in FL so wearing a t shirt under a polo just isn't gonna work. The tucked holsters I experimented with in the past always print with a tucked polo and that isn't gonna fly for what I need, neither will not having your polo tucked in. Nothing inside the waist is going to be an option.

And finally, given the speed at which I can draw from a tucked holster I might as well masking tape it to my thigh.

I wish Sneaky Pete holsters were made for a P7, I could get away with that. I'm just hoping that maybe somebody has figured out something that I haven't thought of.

I've got a Don Hume IW clip that works perfectly at six o clock if I just had some damn way to conceal it. It won't work under a polo, I've tried, it still prints noticeably. I also don't want to sweat all over my carry gun for 8 hours.

SteyrAUG
06-04-14, 00:53
Kahr PM9. Should be easily pocket concealable and less issues than Kel-Tec.

Unless you wanted to start dropping down in caliber to a .32 ACP with like a Beretta Tomcat.

I'm trying not to buy another gun and I don't own a Kahr. My options are HKP7 (ideal if I can come up with a carry solution), Ruger SP101 or Kel Tec P11. I'm trying to do better than a back pocket Kel Tec. I can get a front pocket holster for the SP101 but that will be a tad bulky and I'd like to figure out a P7 solution if I can.

Grand58742
06-04-14, 01:11
I'm trying not to buy another gun and I don't own a Kahr. My options are HKP7 (ideal if I can come up with a carry solution), Ruger SP101 or Kel Tec P11. I'm trying to do better than a back pocket Kel Tec. I can get a front pocket holster for the SP101 but that will be a tad bulky and I'd like to figure out a P7 solution if I can.

https://i.imgflip.com/9bmcu.jpg

I didn't realize you were stuck with those three.

There's a local brand called Looper that does some odds and ends holsters. I'll check tomorrow if they have anything pocket sized for the H&K.

SteyrAUG
06-04-14, 01:30
https://i.imgflip.com/9bmcu.jpg

I didn't realize you were stuck with those three.

There's a local brand called Looper that does some odds and ends holsters. I'll check tomorrow if they have anything pocket sized for the H&K.

I have others but I don't want to carry a .38, .380 or a .32 and I prefer an auto to a wheel.

Grand58742
06-04-14, 01:41
I have others but I don't want to carry a .38, .380 or a .32 and I prefer an auto to a wheel.

They have some oddball holsters that gather dust on the shelves in an LGS. I'll see if there's anything for the P7 that is pocket compatible. No promises though.

Big A
06-04-14, 07:25
Is front pocket carry of the P7 an option?

These guys make a kydex pocket holster for it
http://www.alabamaholster.com/product/front-pocket-holster/

I have one for my J-frame and it works well for my needs.

SteveS
06-04-14, 10:21
442 or 642 in a Galco front pocket holster and a speed strip in the watch pocket.

GunBugBit
06-04-14, 11:57
Have you explored crotch carry?

moonshot
06-04-14, 12:01
If you are going to eliminate pocket carry, ankle carry, or wheel gun carry, your options are limited. I would recommend a quality (no Keltec's allowed) single stack semi-auto (personal preference would be Kahr P9 or PM9).

Select a tuckable leather backed / kydex front holster (my preference is the M-tac) with velcro belt attachments. It's comfortable even next to bare skin - no undershirt needed. Wear at the 3 o'clock position and blouse your tucked in shirt over it a little. Learn to reach over with your non-dominant hand and rip your shirt up. It's easy and fast. Don't carry past 3 o'clock or the reach is too cumbersome. AIWB is even easier, but I don't like having a barrel pointing at my femoral artery. With this setup, go with a P9 (or similar).

Another option is the Smart Carry. You could go shirtless with this holster. I've done it and it works. A G26 will work with this holster (I've played tennis carrying a non-functional blue G26 with no issues), but I prefer and recommend a smaller platform. For this, I recommend the PM9. I wish I still had mine, as it was perfect in my Smart Carry - fast, comfortable, and almost invisible. The biggest issue is that re-holstering sucks, and it's not great when seated. It's doable, but not great.

TomD
06-04-14, 12:08
Is your job AO so hazardous that you need to be armed?

J-Dub
06-04-14, 13:31
Man purse? I mean European carryall....

I would think an ankle setup would be your best solution. Ya its not ideal, but its better than nothing.

p.s. I've carried a G35 in a crossbreed holster at 4 o'clock with a tucked polo and you could not tell I was carrying (minus the holsters belt clips). I would think it would work with a much smaller pistol like a shield or similar single stack.

Alex V
06-04-14, 13:35
I was wondering the same thing. Not that I can carry in NJ, but I won't be here for ever. I wear dress cloths every day, dress shirt and pants, no jacket unless I am meeting high end clients. Always wondered how I would ever carry in that case. Plus, I wear tight shirts lol.

SteyrAUG
06-04-14, 15:01
Is front pocket carry of the P7 an option?

These guys make a kydex pocket holster for it
http://www.alabamaholster.com/product/front-pocket-holster/

I have one for my J-frame and it works well for my needs.

That might work. Thanks for the link.

SteyrAUG
06-04-14, 15:01

Yes it's in FL and criminals don't always schedule an appointment ahead of time.

GunBugBit
06-04-14, 15:37
Have you explored crotch carry?

...Another option is the Smart Carry. You could go shirtless with this holster. I've done it and it works. A G26 will work with this holster (I've played tennis carrying a non-functional blue G26 with no issues), but I prefer and recommend a smaller platform. For this, I recommend the PM9. I wish I still had mine, as it was perfect in my Smart Carry - fast, comfortable, and almost invisible. The biggest issue is that re-holstering sucks, and it's not great when seated. It's doable, but not great.
It's Smart Carry that I had in mind when I asked if SteyrAUG had explored crotch carry.

I ordered one for a CZ 75 P-01 and find that it works for several handguns I have. I think that size would work with a Ruger SP101. In fact I think the Ruger would be almost the perfect handgun for this way of carrying, in terms of how well it would conceal.

If you can get past the comfort thing, the other big downside is accessibility/draw speed. As you touched on, deploying or re-holstering the gun when seated is *blechhh*.

But if good concealment in a lighter mode of dress is needed, I believe this is one of the better solutions.

JoshNC
06-04-14, 17:57

This strikes me as an odd question to ask on M4C.

TehLlama
06-04-14, 18:17
If you can find long polo shirts, especially in performance fabrics you can buy a bit of excess tuck overlap, it helps some. I say performance fabrics because they cover up the extra-long sleeves that come with those well enough they don't stand out as goofy looking. The side benefit is that the good golf polo shirts aren't too absurdly pricey (the Oakley ones are my favorite, but I'm also using a stack of Goodwill sourced golfing ones that are impressively nice, I don't understand why those shirts arrive at the $0.99 goodwill in such good shape, but I'm not one to complain).
AIWB for a mini-9mm (LC9, Shield) is where I'd be looking, as I was basically in that need range you have, but with the luxury of being able to run untucked polo shirt. The other good option are high quality chinos (like the 5.11 ones, they're actually pretty solid) and going with pocket carry for the same size.

SteyrAUG
06-04-14, 18:47
Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm gonna go with a pocket holster for the P7 now that I found a place that has them. With 511s I can run it in a cargo pocket rather than a front pocket.

In the meantime I'm gonna order the largest Sneaky Pete holster they make and see if I can perform a little surgery on the insert to accommodate a P7. If that works I'll be able to hide in plain sight.

Really not a huge fan of crotch carry. As a result of OCD and repeated retention training and practice I have a habit of physically verifying my weapon by hand every 5 minutes or so. And that just wouldn't look very professional if I was checking my "gun" every 5 minutes.

fixit69
06-04-14, 19:21
If you don't mind me asking, what body type do you have? I have noticed that some people are more prone to print than others and have to adjust accordingly.

Big A
06-04-14, 19:30
That might work. Thanks for the link.

No problem, hope it works for you.

jmoney
06-04-14, 19:43
Tuckable AIWB. If you can pull it off. Ever since I got the holster from RCS I have actually been carrying everywhere. Shorts, tshirt, tucked in it doesn't matter. And I do it with a g19

walkin' trails
06-04-14, 21:29
Go visit the Crossbreed website. The offer some different clip options, including some that attach to the inside of the belt via Velcro. I have a Supertuck and it stays pretty flat and does not print noticeably.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
06-05-14, 00:53
If you don't mind me asking, what body type do you have? I have noticed that some people are more prone to print than others and have to adjust accordingly.

I have the body type that will be outdoors in FL in July which makes a tucked in polo kind of stick to everyone. If this were an UNTUCKED polo it would be a different situation.

Cincinnatus
06-05-14, 01:12
I have the body type that will be outdoors in FL in July which makes a tucked in polo kind of stick to everyone. If this were an UNTUCKED polo it would be a different situation.

Ah, selling cars, huh? :cool:

SteyrAUG
06-05-14, 03:12
Ah, selling cars, huh? :cool:

I wish it was that glamorous.

domestique
06-06-14, 02:17
I carry a Kahr PM9 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster (left pocket) all the time (jeans, cargos, suit pants you name it). The P7 or Keltec would be just as easy. This is my "deep cover" gun that I ALWAYS carry on my weak side. When dress permits and the situation calls for it I carry a larger pistol on my right side via appendix carry.

I recently saw some dress pants where the front pocket is tear way to allow for a larger gun (they claim you can pocket carry a full size 1911). I would love to modify some pants to be able to carry my M&P Shield.

SOW_0331
06-06-14, 04:09
I may get my ass chewed for even muttering a reference to this highly guarded secret...but...

Do you have a clothes hanger (wire, not plastic), a set of pliers, and some electrical tape?

Nightvisionary
06-06-14, 08:34
Stay away from the Kel Tec P-11 and Kel Tec in general. I owned a Kel Tec P-11 for about six months. The magazine capacity and small size were very attractive. In concept it was a great gun. I had heard many stories about spotty Kel Tec quality control but they are also know for great customer service so I decided to take the chance. I did the requisite "Kel Tec Fluff and Buff" before firing as suggested by the Kel Tec Owners Group forum to improve reliability. Kel Tec guns sometimes don't really come completely finished from the factory. If CVA made centirefire pistol kits my Kel Tec could have been the premium model. The first time I shot it I was perplexed as all the shots keyholed at 25 yards. I took it apart to inspect the bore and was shocked to notice for the first time that the rifling had almost zero twist. The lands were just slightly off from a straight line from chamber to muzzle. Picture the land starting from the chamber at the 6 o'clock position. It had enough twist to end up at the 5:50 position at the muzzle.

I contacted Kel Tec. They had me ship the barrel back and had a new barrel at my door in about two weeks. I had to perform another fluff and buff on the barrel and feed ramp. I took it to the range with the new barrel and was quite pleased with the accuracy. No more keyholes. About 50 rounds later it stopped extracting. I took it apart and discovered the ejector had snapped off. That ejector had no more than 120 rounds on it. At that point I completely lost confidence in the Kel Tec. There was just no way I could rely on it. I contacted customer service again. They sent me a new ejector. I replaced that and traded it in on a new Beretta Nano 9mm. I couldn't be happier. The quality is night and day difference. Reliability has been perfect and it is tiny. The trigger pull is much better, closer to that of the Glock rather than the Kel Tec loooooong and heavy trigger pull. I have owned quite a few compact guns 2 S&W 642's, Beretta Bobcat, S&W Sigma 380, Walther PPKS, NAA Black Widow. Beretta really hit it out of the park with the Nano and for under $370 it's hard to beat.

Spurholder
06-06-14, 10:07
I like the "J frame in your strong side front pocket" idea.

Not a big fan of this sort of carry, but have you considered a G26 in an ankle rig?

Good luck...too bad you can't untuck your shirt.

SpankMonkey
06-06-14, 10:42
When I need deep concealment I use Thunderwear. A PM9 or small gun disappears. Sitting poses a few problems but you get use to it fast. Drawing is fast and no one has any idea you are carrying.

Thinking about it, a P7 may work very well with the thunderwear holster. Short barrel and longer grip.

HES
06-06-14, 12:17
Being a fellow resident of the wang of the United States, I feel your pain. Here is how I do it. Compac-Tac Minotaur, full sized pistol (M&P, PPQ), tucked in polo. Just blouse the polo a bit and you'll be good to go. Depending on your body type you may need to buy a size larger shirt. Bonus points if you use a dark colored one. You wont look like a model, but on the schlep scale, figure a 2 out of 10.

TehLlama
06-07-14, 00:50
Being a fellow resident of the wang of the United States, I feel your pain. Here is how I do it. Compac-Tac Minotaur, full sized pistol (M&P, PPQ), tucked in polo. Just blouse the polo a bit and you'll be good to go. Depending on your body type you may need to buy a size larger shirt. Bonus points if you use a dark colored one. You wont look like a model, but on the schlep scale, figure a 2 out of 10.

Even with the right fabric and shape, there is still a BMI floor for what works for this.

SteyrAUG
06-07-14, 02:50
I like the "J frame in your strong side front pocket" idea.

Not a big fan of this sort of carry, but have you considered a G26 in an ankle rig?

Good luck...too bad you can't untuck your shirt.

I discovered long ago that I'm not an ankle holster person. I have a unique ability to bang them against every door and door frame I go in and out of. And I got tired of the quizzical looks when my ankle would make a loud clang on your standard metal frame glass door as I failed to slip past it. I also beat to hell a decent compact.

And the two times I actually had to draw from that carry mode weren't exactly a study in grace, balance or speed despite the amount of practice I devoted to it.

At this point I'm ready to consider a Batman cape just so I can 6 o'clock carry.

Big A
06-07-14, 09:59
I discovered long ago that I'm not an ankle holster person. I have a unique ability to bang them against every door and door frame I go in and out of. And I got tired of the quizzical looks when my ankle would make a loud clang on your standard metal frame glass door as I failed to slip past it. I also beat to hell a decent compact.

And the two times I actually had to draw from that carry mode weren't exactly a study in grace, balance or speed despite the amount of practice I devoted to it.

At this point I'm ready to consider a Batman cape just so I can 6 o'clock carry.

Yeah, ankle carry is about the dumbest solution that I think was ever invented.

I prefer to keep everything in arms reach.

moonshot
06-07-14, 10:08
I posted this before - if ankle, pocket and tuckable are out, buy a Smart Carry and place whatever hardware you wish inside. If it were me, I'd go DAO, but that's me. A shorter barrel is more important than a short grip (for all day comfort, especially if you plan on sitting). A 2" J-frame or PM9 sized single stack will be more comfortable than anything larger/thicker.

I wouldn't carry this way if I didn't have to, but sometimes you have to. The holster works as advertised.

Ed L.
06-07-14, 21:15
I would have to echo the Kahr PM-9 in a pocket holster since the gun is flat and light.

The key thing is to use a pocket holster which serves to keep the gun oriented muzzle down and to break up its outline.

Another key is to carry absolutely nothing else in the pocket other than the gun in the pocket holster.

I use a Kahr PM-9 or a S&W J frame for pocket carry. An important part of the equation is having a tailor deepen your dress pants pockets to give the gun more room so that it doesn't risk printing. Though most 5-11 type pants have enough pocket room, dress pants generally don't and will print when you sit down.

I use the Kahr PM-9 at work because you have to pass the same people every day who might notice things that strangers on a street might not. This might have repercussions where corporate policy prohibits the carry of weapons that are otherwise legal to carry.

The J-frame Smith, though it doesn't hold as many rounds as the Kahr PM-9, because the grip is easier to slip your hand around.

With pocket carry you can have your hand in your pocket on the gun ready to draw if necessary.

At one time I carried a Glock 26 in a pocket holster but it was too big and bulky with too many sharp edges that could get caught if you try to draw it at an awkward angle.

Below is a picture of my Kahr PM-9 and S&W 640 both in Uncle Mikes holsters. It's hard to tell from the picture how much flatter and more compact the Kahr PM-9 is.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/eds-stuff/pockguns.jpg

T2C
06-07-14, 22:32
You might want to consider a belly band type holster. If you are right handed, position the pistol with the slide near the left hip and the grip toward your center line. You may have to move the pistol a little bit away from the hip, so the grip lies flat against your stomach. Try wearing the weapon low with the grip just above the belt line. You will have to leave the bottom of your shirt tucked in a little loose to conceal the grip.

MountainRaven
06-07-14, 23:49
Had a job with near identical dress code. I managed to pull off a P7 IWB tucked under the polo with a Comp-tac M-tac. Had a roommate do the same where he had to wear regular dress shirts with tie (and no jacket or vest) pull off the same with a G19.

Course, both of us used undershirts and both of our jobs were 99% indoors.

SteyrAUG
06-08-14, 03:49
You might want to consider a belly band type holster. If you are right handed, position the pistol with the slide near the left hip and the grip toward your center line. You may have to move the pistol a little bit away from the hip, so the grip lies flat against your stomach. Try wearing the weapon low with the grip just above the belt line. You will have to leave the bottom of your shirt tucked in a little loose to conceal the grip.

It's gonna be FL, in the summer when it is hot and humid. I'd rather not strap on a belly band. Gonna also be an active job, not a sit in an office job.

T2C
06-08-14, 06:28
It's gonna be FL, in the summer when it is hot and humid. I'd rather not strap on a belly band. Gonna also be an active job, not a sit in an office job.

The only other option I can think of is a deep concealment shoulder holster. You still have the issue with perspiration being trapped between the holster and your torso.

You may have to go with a pocket holster. During the summer months over the past 25+ years I have been carrying a J Frame in a front pocket.

Ed L.
06-08-14, 12:46
You may have to go with a pocket holster. During the summer months over the past 25+ years I have been carrying a J Frame in a front pocket.

A J frame in a pocket holster is fine if you are out and about in the general public. But if you are working in dress slacks in a work environment where your co-workers see you every day, you could get spotted.

That's why I favor the Kahr PM-9 or something similarly sized in a pocket holster. The key is to have a taylor deepen your pants pockets because most dress pants pockets are too shallow and tight.

The smartcarry might be another solution that would allow Steyr to carry a slightly larger handgun.

T2C
06-08-14, 16:58
A J frame in a pocket holster is fine if you are out and about in the general public. But if you are working in dress slacks in a work environment where your co-workers see you every day, you could get spotted.

That's why I favor the Kahr PM-9 or something similarly sized in a pocket holster. The key is to have a taylor deepen your pants pockets because most dress pants pockets are too shallow and tight.

The smartcarry might be another solution that would allow Steyr to carry a slightly larger handgun.

Securing an inside the pocket holster, up high and inside of the pocket, with a large safety pin or two before putting on your dress pants or Dockers helps with concealment. It also gives you room to slide a speed strip in the lower part of the pocket. Pleated pants seem to conceal a firearm better than pants without pleats in the pocket area.

Your smart carry solution definitely has some merit. I would never argue against having a larger handgun when you really need one.