PDA

View Full Version : First M&P

anachronism
06-04-14, 15:29
Okay, I just traded for a new M&P 45 full-sized. Outside of the ten lb trigger pull, are they as bad as I've been hearing? This is my first S&W auto since the Sigma debacle and I'm a bit concerned about it in light of my past experiences with S&W semis. Should I simply sell it off unfired?

RMiller
06-04-14, 15:59
I have a mid sized .45 and really like it.

The trigger needing improvement ea an understatement. An APEX duty kit and AEK aluminum trigger took care of that. It's the best trigger I've felt in a striker fired polymer pistol.

RWH24
06-04-14, 16:15
Just a little manipulation to the M&P from APEX and you will be Happy Happy Happy!

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid16.html

Not necessary, but does make a difference.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid71.html

anachronism
06-04-14, 19:00
I just cleaned it really good. Man! That barrel is rough!

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-04-14, 19:12
Fantastic gun. Only the trigger needs work in my opinion.

RWCRaiden
06-04-14, 19:18
You might as well shoot it. You might like it. If you don't, sell it.

RMiller
06-04-14, 19:29
When I picked up my current M&P, my first thought was" I remember why I SOLD my first M&P". A super gritty heavy trigger coupled with that horrendous hinged design. After the APEX upgrades for the trigger and a different rear sight (a plain black serrated Hienie) I'm in love with this pistol.

Fantastic gun. Only the trigger needs work in my opinion.

Nowski87
06-04-14, 20:38
I just bought my second M&P. I bought an M&P .45 a while back and while it is an extremely comfortable gun for my tiny girl hands I hated the trigger. I was long gritty, heavy and the lack of tactile and audible reset was laughable. I would constantly out run the trigger, I was told put in Apex parts and you will be happy. I didn't and ended up selling it because in my stubborn head the trigger needs to be to my standards out o the box, that's just not gong to happen unless I have something custom built. Fast forward to this month after tying other guns that I thought would fit my hand well and work for me, I have come back to the M&P I have put the Apex competiton spring kit and polished parts and now I love it. It's isn't a 1911 trigger or anything, but for striker fired gun its the best thing I have found.

Wake27
06-05-14, 02:56
So everyone is content with the DCAEK and trigger without the need for the FSS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koshinn
06-05-14, 06:57
The FSS is great. I don't think I'd use one on a carry gun, it gives you a 1911 take up and break on a pistol without a safety. I'd prefer a bit more travel. That being said, my fss + comp aek springs M&P has a 2.3# crisp and short trigger pull that's frankly amazing.

WillBrink
06-05-14, 08:28
Okay, I just traded for a new M&P 45 full-sized. Outside of the ten lb trigger pull, are they as bad as I've been hearing? This is my first S&W auto since the Sigma debacle and I'm a bit concerned about it in light of my past experiences with S&W semis. Should I simply sell it off unfired?

Why would you trade for a new gun you heard bad things about? What kind of bad things? M&P pistols are some of the best choices going.

WillBrink
06-05-14, 08:30
The FSS is great. I don't think I'd use one on a carry gun, it gives you a 1911 take up and break on a pistol without a safety. I'd prefer a bit more travel. That being said, my fss + comp aek springs M&P has a 2.3# crisp and short trigger pull that's frankly amazing.

But on an M&P with safety, you get as close to the 1911 set up in a double stack polymer gun as one could hope for. Win win in my view

TehLlama
06-05-14, 15:54
The trigger doesn't NEED work, but after running a full size M&P with the Apex FSS, I no longer felt the NEED for a 1911, the S&W/Apex setup is that good. Even if you don't like it, you'll get what you have put into it as long as the FSS install is done competently.

jaxman7
06-05-14, 21:25
The trigger doesn't NEED work, but after running a full size M&P with the Apex FSS, I no longer felt the NEED for a 1911, the S&W/Apex setup is that good. Even if you don't like it, you'll get what you have put into it as long as the FSS install is done competently.

I just bought my first new M&P in 4 years last Monday. Envelope with spent casing is dated 12-23-2013. Massive difference in triggers b/t that one and the last one I bought in 2010. I bought it with the DCAEK already in mind. Second guessing that decision now.

-Jax

crazymoose
06-07-14, 11:19
Recently picked up a new 45 fullsize, after having owned a 9mm Pro and early-gen 45 in the past (and not being thrilled with either, despite putting Apex parts in the Pro). The new gun received HD sights and an Apex FSS trigger (the installation bordered on hellish, as the included slave pin did not want to do its job of keeping the trigger, slide stop, and return spring properly aligned for the pin to be punched through).

However, the gun now has a trigger that is very acceptable. It's not a great trigger, by any means, but it is noticeably better than a stock Glock trigger, which makes it pretty good. Shoots quite well. My only gripe now is that I wish there were an easy way to tune the amount of force necessary to engage or disengage the thumb safety- it disengages so easily in stock form that I feel it offers little additional security. I'll probably get around to re-shaping the scallops in the safety bar that engage the detent on the sear block if I get my hands on a spare.

anachronism
06-07-14, 23:29
What is the brown magazine/black magazine business about?

crazymoose
06-08-14, 11:46
What is the brown magazine/black magazine business about?

You talking about the base plates? That's just to match the frame color.

walkin' trails
06-08-14, 12:22
I've had a FS 45 since 2009. Never had any kind if failure to feed or extract with 230 grain - only a bit of an issue with some 185 when springs were getting tired. Mine has some 8500 rounds down the pipe and equal number of dry fire presses. Striker - the early black coated version broke during dry fire at 7500 rounds. S&W's warranty is supurb. The trigger was acceptable out of the box and has only broke in better. It is still stock. The pistol sits in my hand better than any other pistol I've ever owned or was issued.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

OldState
06-08-14, 13:59
But on an M&P with safety, you get as close to the 1911 set up in a double stack polymer gun as one could hope for. Win win in my view

+++100

I put the FSS in my FS 45 with Thumb Safety. For a fighting/IDPA type pistol, I have never missed my old carry 1911. Low bore axis and soft shooting for a .45.

I also did some very minor polishing (totally optional) on the appropriate parts and the FSS trigger is about as good as it gets outside a custom 1911. I recommend putting the compact mag bases on your mags though...about $2 each.

If you want a .45, can afford the ammo or reload (preferable), this is the best setup for a FS service pistol IMHO.

anachronism
06-09-14, 19:31
You talking about the base plates? That's just to match the frame color.

No, the magazine tubes are available in a brown finish, or blue/black.